• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
And this is why Biden is still a good candidate. Simple as.

I don't want Biden, but if he is what gets us rid of Trump, it's better than four more years.

If the media would stop blacking out Bernie, he would probably beat Trump. They're shafting him again. It's ridiculous.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Lol if polls right now are meaningless how on God's green earth do you know that Warren could beat Trump no problem.
you only wanna look at general election polls when it's closer to election time or when there's an actual candidate chosen. it's too early to judge now.

also warren would beat trump no problem. i'm saying this not with any evidence but from what i KNOW to be true. Trump is a dumb cunt that won't be elected a second time. Bet

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
i don't think this is a stutter problem

if he's the best hope to beat trump, then that says everything you need to know about 1) this mediocre crop of presidential hopefuls and 2) the american electorate

i guess he can hang out weekend at bernie's style at the WH and let the VP actually do everything like cheney did for GWB.

and maybe sadly that's the best bet. let biden be an old prop for white old bigoted americans to feel safe to vote for instead of trump.

Last edited:

dots

Oct 27, 2017
His approval #s have tipped up a bit on 538 as well. The insanity of the American voting populace is depressing.
It isn't the voters, its the media. Do you ever read or watch mainstream publications? They report on obvious Republican lies like they are truth, all the time. People can't be blamed for being lied to from every angle.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha wait till the debates

For Biden to argue in support of his standard Democratic Party platform policy ideas? That will show he's Trump lite?

I'm not sure you read the article that quickly.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Biden gets nom, loses election, establishment blames people too far left ala blaming Bernie Broz but on a larger scale.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
only a few states will decide the presidential election, these national polls don't really tell you that much about the path to victory and in fact misleads you since the huge lopsided numbers for any democrat in California and New York hides the much closer races in the swing states of Michigan, PA, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Florida.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Well Biden is overwhelmingly likely to be the nominee, so meh.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want Biden, but if he is what gets us rid of Trump, it's better than four more years.

If the media would stop blacking out Bernie, he would probably beat Trump. They're shafting him again. It's ridiculous.

It's probably the best thing for Bernie. Everyone that has gotten the media spotlight has become a huge target ie Pete, and Warren.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
It isn't the voters, its the media. Do you ever read or watch mainstream publications? They report on obvious Republican lies like they are truth, all the time. People can't be blamed for being lied to from every angle.

So here's the thing, I'm glad we're going through this impeachment process, but at the same time, did people not expect Fox news or the media in general to pump this up? I don't understand how people didn't see this coming. Again I'm glad we went through with it, but when people were like "why even bother trump will spin it as another victory", people aren't just blindly stating that. It gets his rabid fanbase riled up, and the fox media machine will spin the shit out of it as a witch hunt and definitive proof that trump is innocent after it gets shot down in the senate. The idea that impeachment was some sort of killshot was a pipe dream.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
in terms of mental sharpness compared to trump? uh... i'm no trump supporter by any means. at all. but biden is gone, dude.

i don't think people have actually watched any biden this year at all. it's scary how fast he's declined. if it was 2008-2016 biden, i don't think it'd be a problem. but this guy ain't it.

He sounds tired and or nervous for the first couple of minutes but the rest is fine and sounds a million times more coherent than Trump.

Hell, I'm even pleasantly surprised that he said that America has never lived up to its values of "All men are created equal". Not going for chest-thumping USA USA USA idiocy is a bold move these days

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Crazy but i have trust in (most) Americans that they will choose more wisely.

You have to understand that most people live in a bubble. This isn't meant as an indictment on people, but they have an egocentric viewpoint. They're worried about their family/kids health, they're worried about their childrens education, they're worried about when they'll go on vacation, they're worried about how they'll be able to retire, etc. They see the economy doing well, they are trending in the right direction, they don't want to fuck that up. I'm not saying that makes it ok, but right now the economy is keeping Trump afloat.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
giphy.gif

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what the, how old is Biden anyway
old enough to know how to appeal to racist kneckbeard centrists that voted for Trump while still positioning himself as a democrat for the masses. he is, i feel, the best case for defeating trump

If the economy continues to be really good, Trump is not going to lose. Period. An incumbent President with a fantastic economy simply does not lose elections. It doesn't matter how shit he is on literally everything else, if people's paychecks are doing well, they are going to vote for the incumbent.

This is how it has always been, Nixon, Reagan and Clinton all enjoyed massive victories due to this in their re-election campaigns.

included in those three are two republicans. But two also faced impeachement in their second terms where Trump is facing it in his first, and for far more serious horseshit. Will be nervewracking to see just how much or little that all matters.

Last edited:

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the economy continues to be really good, Trump is not going to lose. Period. An incumbent President with a fantastic economy simply does not lose elections. It doesn't matter how shit he is on literally everything else, if people's paychecks are doing well, they are going to vote for the incumbent.

This is how it has always been, Nixon, Reagan and Clinton all enjoyed massive victories due to this in their re-election campaigns.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's still too early. Democrats are beating up on other Democrats every day, and even in threads like this, even in a thread where the title is basically "Trump wins in 2020 versus everyone but Biden," a not small number of posts will use that as further reason to shit on Biden. Like, Biden hypothetically beating Trump while other candidates hypothetically lose to Trump is "Another reason not to vote for Joe Biden!" or whatever. Joe Biden is not my preferred candidate, but I'm not playing that game. Once the Democratic field narrows and once the primaries play out, I think we'll get a better sense of performance. Maybe it'll be too late by then, like maybe a struggling Joe Biden will barely win the primary and he'll be weakened to independents and Trump gets a bump, or maybe a Warren or Sanders makes the Democratic ticket look too out of touch with other independents. Who knows, it's still too early and I wouldn't use a poll as a decision to support someone or not.

Most importantly, though, general election polls are not as significant as state-by-state polls, which is how Trump won in 2016 obviously. Clinton actually performed at about what the national polls suggested, but underperformed by less than 100,000 voters split over 4 or 5 states, and that's why Trump is president. Putting decisive weight into those 100,000 voters, a year out from the election, is giving them more power than they already deserve.

Moreover, though, an overwhelming amount of attention is spent on why voters in the Democratic primary shouldn't support one candidate or another, instead of why they should support them. It's inevitable, you can't help it, but this isn't even among news makers, but among people like us discussing the primary... you can't help but focus on the demerits of a candidate. Even if the merits of your favorite candidate is your chief concern in why you're voting for them, people spend an unbalance amount of energy talking about the demerits of their perceived opponents. The number of threads discussing why some candidate *can't* be the nominee will outweigh why some candidate *should* be the nominee by like 10:1. Of course, it's the nature of divisive primaries and Democratic voters are as ideologically divided as they've been in 50+ years.

I don't understand how Trump has been polling better lately

Yeah, it's depressing, but I hate when we reduce it to "The Voters are Stupid," or something else which is pretty common in threads like this. Now, of course, people are dumb, just like you and I and others sighing about dumb or evil voters are also dumb.

But, I think there's more at work.

First, there's been surprisingly positive economic news in the last month:
  • Better than expected jobs report
  • Better than expected growth
  • Better than expected consumer spending
  • Surprise compromises on North American trade deal
  • Surprise compromises on Asia/Pacific trade deal
In the real world of people working, those are just more important than what a sizeable portion of people think is political football (Trump's illegal Biden investigation attempt and the Democrats justified response to that).

But, also at play is something more nefarious and it's the Knowledge Brokers. It's not so much that the voting populace is dumb, sure it is we're all dumb, but that knowledge is brokered to us, and an increasingly large portion of those knowledge brokers are brokering incorrect knowledge serving ulterior motives. The nefarious, agenda-driven, ideologically motivated, and some are profit-driven (though I think selling ideology is more important to most of them than shareholder or stakeholder profit), but the motives are not to spread truth.

Last edited:

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Warren would be Trump. no problem. Polls now are meaningless anyway
Warren only appeals to elite white liberals and twitter. You are seriously underesimating the need for every other demographic to come out. Sanders would be a better candidate than her to go against trump.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a single poll amongst others that don't have him anywhere close to these margins.
I'll reserve judgement will this is reflected as a trend.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017

People are going to be veeeeery upset next year. Go vote, and get others to vote. Because yeah, things aren't looking good and people here are way too confident.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No president's had an approval this bad with an economy so good. If this president will benefit like all others how could that possibly be true?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
This is a single poll amongst others that don't have him anywhere close to these margins.
I'll reserve judgement will this is reflected as a trend.

Hmm that's not true. Yes it's a single poll, but there have been several other polls trending this direction for the past few weeks.

Oct 27, 2017
He's barely beating the other people, which says a lot because ALL Republican voter support is behind Trump while with Dems it's split across the top candidates, still subject to voters who aren't closely following politics, or who are choosing solely based on name recognition. These polls are pure fear mongering. When it becomes Democratic candidate vs Republican candidate then we'll be able to get a better sense of the standing

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

He's got a great chance at re-election because of the economy but this really is uncharted territory. Clinton, Reagan and Nixon were decently popular, Trump's never had net positive approval. At least it'll be an interesting case study in how much a candidate can lose the PV by and still win lol
People are going to be veeeeery upset next year. Go vote, and get others to vote. Because yeah, things aren't looking good and people here are way too confident.
Nobody here is confident.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
He's got a great chance at re-election because of the economy but this really is uncharted territory. Clinton, Reagan and Nixon were decently popular, Trump's never had net positive approval. At least it'll be an interesting case study in how much a candidate can lose the PV by and still win lol
Nobody here is confident.
I'm seeing some posters in here saying that Warren would easily, without question beat Trump.

I've gone back and forth with poster in other threads that strongly feel that Trump will lose.

I feel that we'll be very lucky if we win.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No president's had an approval this bad with an economy so good. If this president will benefit like all others how could that possibly be true?
This is a good point, but he also was the most unpopular president ever elected. I just don't think approval ratings matter for him because a ton of people who don't approve of him will still vote for him.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
also warren would beat trump no problem. i'm saying this not with any evidence but from what i KNOW to be true. Trump is a dumb cunt that won't be elected a second time. Bet
Just a few alterations and we can travel back in time to 2016

also warren Hillary would beat trump no problem. i'm saying this not with any evidence but from what i KNOW to be true. Trump is a dumb cunt that won't be elected a second time. Bet

Status
Not open for further replies.