• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I don't give a fuck about Level 5 or console wars—I own all of them. I'm just calling double standards where I see it.
Except people aren't calling them stupid for making the game multiplatform but rather for mismanaging it and the franchise as a whole. It's not even remotely comparable to ATLUS making some games exclusive to certain platforms for seemingly little reason. Hardly double standards. That and a not insignificant number of people have certainly port begged for games like SMT V to come to PlayStation.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Might as well bring it to PC as well.

I don't see this selling much on anything though.

Oct 26, 2017
It's a proxy argument. We already know the brand was mismanaged. It's old news. Making it multiplat is a solution, but people don't like the solution.
Except most aren't exactly upset it's multiplatform but rather how it's been handled. You're trying to make it out to be a console war by bringing up Atlus for some reason

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder whether people crying console wars about people's reactions to this were here when Yokai Watch 1 was announced for Switch.

There's definitely some projecting going on here and something tells me it's not from the people that are being quote-on-quote "angry" about this news.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
It's a proxy argument. We already know the brand was mismanaged. It's old news. Making it multiplat is a solution, but people don't like the solution.

It's not really a good solution. You're trying to sell a children-oriented franchise for a console that's mostly owned by older demographics in Japan.

Yo-kai is very much merchandise-driven, and the merchandise is doing badly after lots of investment were done for it. That's the big issue which PS4 won't really fix.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
This is lovely, I really hope it gets them twice the sales.

I think it's the end of the line soon, unless they catch lightning in a bottle with a new franchise.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
With the declining sales and popularity of yokai watch this makes a ton of sense, hope it helps

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's definitely some projecting going on here and something tells me it's not from the people that are being quote-on-quote "angry" about this news.
yeah there so much projecting from some people, as if they were waiting for something like this to call out people's reactions, and the reaction isn't what they expected but they're doing it anyway. frankly i don't see anyone here giving two shits about this series becoming multi platform at this point, and sales will most likely prove that no one outside here cares either.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Nobody is console warring.
If anything, this announcement tells us Nintendo likely isn't footing the bill for localization and if that's the case, next to nobody here will be playing this game anytime soon. PS5 will probably be out before this game comes to the West.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well the issue might be more so that PS5 games will overshadow a late PS4 port, especially for a franchise in decline. Hell, plenty of PS4 games, like TLoU 2 and FF7R Part 1, will do that as well
Well new games will always overshadow old games. But I think fans of games like Yo-kai Watch aren't necessarily TLOU2 or God of War fans. So Yo-kai Watch 4 being available on PS4 and PS5 is nice. It will make Level-5 some money. The question is "how much".
Let's see :)

Oct 26, 2017
Well new games will always overshadow old games. But I think fans of games like Yo-kai Watch aren't necessarily TLOU2 or God of War fans. So Yo-kai Watch 4 being available on PS4 and PS5 is nice. It will make Level-5 some money. The question is "how much".
Let's see :)
Oh of course but it's unlikely the game will even get much attention or marketing to help it draw out an audience on the PS4 or the Switch, for that matter. If it comes out late, then it's coming out in the hype for the PS5/XB2. It'll make money for sure but I can't help but feel it'd have done more if games like this came out at a better time, like say when it was popular to help it draw attention

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't give a fuck about Level 5 or console wars—I own all of them. I'm just calling double standards where I see it.

Yes, Yokai Watch was driven into the ground, which is exactly why making it multiplatform makes sense.
Ditching Nintendo partnership in the west is what doesnt make sense. The addition of PS4 will very possibly not be enough to offset the loss of sales by not having Nintendo push this game

Just look what happenned with DQXI, Nintendo does a better job promoting some games that their own developers
Nobody is console warring.
If anything, this announcement tells us Nintendo likely isn't footing the bill for localization and if that's the case, next to nobody here will be playing this game anytime soon. PS5 will probably be out before this game comes to the West.
That is my problem. It would also mean much less marketing that would offset all the extra sales gained by a PS4 version

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

Just uploaded on Level-5's official channel.
Recouping losses? Struggling with Switch tech?
Strange that a series that spent its life on Nintendo (and mobile) is suddenly making the jump to Sony.
Watch as this doesn't change anything about localization.

Considering IIRC Level 5 doesn't publish Yokai Watch outside of Japan (Nintendo does) yeah, expect it to be a Switch exclusive outside of Japan.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh of course but it's unlikely the game will even get much attention or marketing to help it draw out an audience on the PS4 or the Switch, for that matter. If it comes out late, then it's coming out in the hype for the PS5/XB2. It'll make money for sure but I can't help but feel it'd have done more if games like this came out at a better time, like say when it was popular to help it draw attention
Well Yo-kai Watch 4 will be a port of an "old" game. So of course it won't get a lot of marketing. Should have launched the PS4 port day 1 with the Switch version. In the end, this will be a "port of an old game" when it launches. Nice for people who don't have a Switch and want to play it with better graphics on their TVs. A multiplatform release is a good idea for this IP.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering IIRC Level 5 doesn't publish Yokai Watch outside of Japan (Nintendo does) yeah, expect it to be a Switch exclusive outside of Japan.
i doubt it. i don't think level-5 ported the game to ps4 just for japan, that'd be pretty dumb. so now we have to see who they're new publisher is. or maybe they're self-publishing. they're doing that for the new layton ports if i'm not mistaken.

Oct 26, 2017
Well Yo-kai Watch 4 will be a port of an "old" game. So of course it won't get a lot of marketing. Should have launched the PS4 port day 1 with the Switch version. In the end, this will be a "port of an old game" when it launches. Nice for people who don't have a Switch and want to play it with better graphics on their TVs. A multiplatform release is a good idea for this IP.
That's my point. It should've been a Day 1 multiplatform release, ideally worldwide and prior to the release of the PS5/XB2. As it is, it's just gonna come and go whenever it ends up coming to the west

i doubt it. i don't think level-5 ported the game to ps4 just for japan, that'd be pretty dumb. so now we have to see who they're new publisher is. or maybe they're self-publishing. they're doing that for the new layton ports if i'm not mistaken.
I mean, this is the same company that decided to remaster Ni no Kuni and treat it as two separate games in terms of marketing. They are perhaps not stupid enough to leave a PS4 port in Japan, but they are stupid.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is the most activity a Yo-kai Watch thread has gotten... seemingly ever. Hmmm...
So it must be a great idea to port it to PS4, right? That interest! LOL
I mean, this is the same company that decided to remaster Ni no Kuni and treat it as two separate games in terms of marketing. They are perhaps not stupid enough to leave a PS4 port in Japan, but they are stupid.
Oh crud, and I forgot all about the game releasing next week! Another incoming bomb from Level 5!

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's my point. It should've been a Day 1 multiplatform release, ideally worldwide and prior to the release of the PS5/XB2. As it is, it's just gonna come and go whenever it ends up coming to the west.
Yeah, but it's a good sign. Maybe the next YW game will launch day 1 as a multiplatform game now :)

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No, that's Bandai Namco's call.

Level-5 is now publishing their games themselves after Nintendo dropped them (or after they dropped Nintendo), and YW4 is concerned as well. They announced the localization themselves back at Anime Expo.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird to see people wondering whether this will get localization for the west especially something like yokai watch which is bound to sell low numbers in Japan on PS4 as the target market is on handhelds. In this day and age, if a developer considers a PS4 port then it most likely is with the intention of releasing it worldwide. I know yakuza did pretty good in Asian markets so yokai watch probably has some potential there as well.

Omegabalmung

Nov 4, 2017
I must be the only one that likes the ni no kuni battle system :(

Anyways my little is going to freak out when she sees this lol.

Oct 25, 2017
So take this with a grain of salt, but I heard most of Level-5's LA office had been laid off. With only a few people left.
Makes me wonder about localization and who's handling it now...

No, that's Bandai Namco's call.

Level-5 is now publishing their games themselves after Nintendo dropped them (or after they dropped Nintendo), and YW4 is concerned as well. They announced the localization themselves back at Anime Expo.
The game has the same dichotomy in Japan, where Level-5 self-publishes: the "For Nintendo Switch" version and the remastered branding for the PS4 version.

ni-no-kuni-standard-edition-switch-.jpg

91VZKBFWGmL._SX342_.jpg

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but it's a good sign. Maybe the next YW game will launch day 1 as a multiplatform game now :)
The next YW is a remastered Switch port of the first YW and it is not multiplatform though.

Their other multiplatform upcoming title is Inazuma Eleven Ares that's been MIA for years.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Kids franchises are inherently short-lived, regardless of how you manage them. Only notable exception is Pokémon.

In fact, Level-5 was good at squeezing the potential as fast as they could.
True but I don't remember Layton and Inazuma Eleven dropping so fast.
Also I remember Level 5 saying The Snack World would be a bigger success than Yokai-Watch, when they unveilled the multimedia project, it was even multi-platforms from the get go, and yet this IP died before it could reach the West.
They really need a big success soon, since it's even hurting their other branch like the latest Inazuma Eleven anime (Orion) dropping so much in quality.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
True but I don't remember Layton and Inazuma Eleven dropping so fast.
Also I remember Level 5 saying The Snack World would be a bigger success than Yokai-Watch, when they unveilled the multimedia project, it was even multi-platforms from the get go, and yet this IP died before it could reach the West.
They really need a big success soon, since it's even hurting their other branch like the latest Inazuma Eleven anime (Orion) dropping so much in quality.

Layton and Inazuma Eleven weren't as popular as Yo-kai Watch so the drop was more notable for the latter.

Layton, though, went from being a million seller (1, and basically 2 and 3 too) to sell 700k (4) then 400k (5) and finally 250k (6).

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't mean ports/remasters of the old 3DS ones. More like new stuff :)
I mean if you are seriously trying to introduce a new audience to a franchise it would make sense if the first game that started it all is also multiplatform. :p

Though it's crazy that Level-5 is releasing another YW game within months of YW4 even if it is a remake.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird to see people wondering whether this will get localization for the west especially something like yokai watch which is bound to sell low numbers in Japan on PS4 as the target market is on handhelds. In this day and age, if a developer considers a PS4 port then it most likely is with the intention of releasing it worldwide. I know yakuza did pretty good in Asian markets so yokai watch probably has some potential there as well.
What Yakuza has to do with YW? Also Switch sells well in asia, if its version ends up being not successful in asia I doubt a PS4 one would be

Anyway people are wondering if it will get localized because Nintendo is the publisher of the series in the west

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't mean ports/remasters of the old 3DS ones. More like new stuff :)
i wouldn't be too sure about a new yo-kai watch any time soon. i mean this one went from a million seller to 200k sales, how low can the next one go? i think this is it for the series, other than ports of old games.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean if you are seriously trying to introduce a new audience to a franchise it would make sense if the first game that started it all is also multiplatform. :p
Yeah, but the older ones got published by Nintendo, no? You never know what kinda contracts exist behind the scenes. Maybe they can't bring the old 3DS ones to a different platform. Well, at least 4 is finally coming. A nice start :P
i wouldn't be too sure about a new yo-kai watch any time soon. i mean this one went from a million seller to 200k sales, how low can the next one go? i think this is it for the series, other than ports of old games.
Level-5 needs new IPs. So let's see :)

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
I hope it finds some success. I don't want Level-5 to eat shit, I need a proper new Fantasy Life ffs!