• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this sucks. I love Level-5, but they don't seem to be able to get good sales anymore.

Definitely still interested in the PS4 version. The game looks excellent from trailers.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Isn't this increases chances for localization since PS4 is mostly "western" console sales-wise?

Only if Level-5 pays the localization and publishing on their own, in the past they had Nintendo doing it for them. Going multiplat means Nintendo won't do it for them anymore, assuming N even cared at this point considering how YW is even more dead in the west and in Japan.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yo-Kai Watch 4 ++ PS4 is probably the only Yo-Kai Watch game that will sell more in the West than in Japan * Galaxy brain *

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Classic audience mismatch. Always seemed like a somewhat desperate move - lets hope the western release will make up for it.
who will even publish the game in the west? if it's self-published it won't sell a whole lot.
They better beg Bamco to make it happen - otherwise it will be a hard sell, as you said....self-publishing would mean its death.

Tetriso

Banned
Nov 19, 2019
That depends. I'm not sure if you know, but the stats show that the user base for PlayStation leans toward an older and male demographic (whereas Nintendo is more well-rounded). People who are loyal to PlayStation are usually people who avoid Nintendo platforms because of the "kiddie" image. In that case, YW4 only appeals to a very niche group of loyal PlayStation fans (that actually enjoys cartoon-like games but refuse to support Nintendo) or multi-platform gamers that prefer playing games on the PS4. It is a losing strategy if there is an overwhelming amount of evidence that they can't establish an audience on certain platforms. Even Capcom's low-effort ports on Switch sold more than YW++ on PS4. This is as bad as Yakuza 1+2 on Wii U, and that was on a dying platform.

The product itself isn't bad. It's the marketing and the multi-media approach that fucked everything up. The whole PS4 strategy didn't make much sense this late as well (though it probably wouldn't do well even if it's multi-plat on launch). Anyway, I personally hope this will help wake some people up -- especially the PlayStation fans that make up a ton of bullshit to justify games skipping Switch or other platforms. If anyone is here trying to justify why sub 3k sales is enough for it to be a good business strategy, then I better not hear them whine about how Switch owners are entitled for justifying games that would sell WAY MORE than 3k to be ported to the platform. This whole debacle showed me how much double standard and hypocrisy there are. It disturbs me that there is nothing done to curb this double standard on Era. It's been 2+ years and nothing has changed here.

This reminds me of the witcher 3 switch version bombing when it sold around 7K copies.
Clearly audience mismatch in both cases, but I think the witcher 3 is the worse case here because the port obviously took more effort to be made.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of the witcher 3 switch version bombing when it sold around 7K copies.
Clearly audience mismatch in both cases, but I think the witcher 3 is the worse case here because the port obviously took more effort to be made.
witcher 3 has sold 13,609 [physical] copies in japan so far.
and your comparison is very weak. it's not like the ps4 version of witcher 3 was some megahit in japan. it sold 230K copies. witcher on switch sold much better outside japan. japan wasn't the market it needed to succeed in.

edit: not to mention CDPR said they're happy with the sales of switcher so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
TW3's core audience isn't Japan (if it was it'd be a bomb on PS4 too given the scope of the project) and the Switch port did well enough globally for CDP to credit it for the upswing in their financials last quarter. Good try though, I remember you also implied Switch to be responsible for YW4's original subpar sales in the MC threads before funny enough.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's impossible that they ported it to PS4 thinking in Japan sales, right?

Right?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They probably thought of Europe.

Where Yo-Kai Watch is even more dead than in Japan and will probably release at the same time as the PS5 launch games.

Solid strategy

Still better than Japan sales only. Everyone that's slightly interested in Japan already bought on Switch.

I just want a localization, no matter which console lol

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
Since long ago I wanted to show this pic. This happened in Akiba during the launch of a Sword and Shield.

WARNING, CRUELTY DEPICTED

weCfMAt.jpg

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Yeah Level 5's plan to try and get another audience was a bust. I'm not sure it was worth it, given the original version released in such an incomplete state.
3DS accesories being cleared from stores is cruelty now? Not sure what are you trying to prove.
It's a joke since Pokémon is doing well sales wise while Yokai watch is in the bargain bin.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't doubt that Pokemon branded 3DS accesories are being discounted too. Of course SwSh sold way more than YK4 but in the case of that pic is an unfair comparision.
I mean, yea, but that's not why the picture was taken, it's all about the imagery of Pokemon vs YW. fairness isn't the point

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
in case anyone was wondering, this came out and flopped on both platforms:

NSW - Yo-kai Watch 4 ++ - 10.333
PS4 - Yo-kai Watch 4 ++ - less than 2.893 (didn't chart in the top 30)
Updated numbers

089./000. [NSW] Yo-kai Watch 4++ <RPG> (Level 5) {2019.12.05} (¥6.480) - 51.623 / NEW (10.885 <17,78%>)
305./000. [PS4] Yo-kai Watch 4++ <RPG> (Level 5) {2019.12.05} (¥6.480) - 8.650 / NEW (4.321 <36,39%>)

Isn't this increases chances for localization since PS4 is mostly "western" console sales-wise?
Well, about that, it's been 9 months since its release and still no signs of a localization.
But we know it always takes years for Level 5 to localize their games.

And if anyone is wondering about it, Inazuma Eleven Ares Heroes' Great Road is still MIA.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Well, about that, it's been 9 months since its release and still no signs of a localization.
Level 5 confirmed a western release so it'll happen some day. Katrielle DX and Snack World Gold both took well over a year so I'd expect the same with YW4.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
++ version?

Was there a + version prior to that lol?

Anyway, I hope we get a localization for this game, it looked really fun (reminds me of Ni no Kuni 2)

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Updated numbers

089./000. [NSW] Yo-kai Watch 4++ <RPG> (Level 5) {2019.12.05} (¥6.480) - 51.623 / NEW (10.885 <17,78%>)
305./000. [PS4] Yo-kai Watch 4++ <RPG> (Level 5) {2019.12.05} (¥6.480) - 8.650 / NEW (4.321 <36,39%>)

And if anyone is wondering about it, Inazuma Eleven Ares Heroes' Great Road is still MIA.

I'm not even sure if it's worth waiting for the localization if the NSW version is about to leave the top 100 soon.

Hedgey

Oct 29, 2017
I look at games here in Tokyo quite frequently and I've never seen a single copy of this game on any shelf.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Level 5 confirmed a western release so it'll happen some day. Katrielle DX and Snack World Gold both took well over a year so I'd expect the same with YW4.
Yeah it'll come here, it's just disappointing that Level 5 still take so long for WW releases.
At this point, it's not happening until Spring 2021 at the earliest., which would still be 2 years after its Japanese initial release.

Hedgey

Oct 29, 2017
ec.nintendo.com

妖怪学園Y ~ワイワイ学園生活~ ダウンロード版

任天堂の公式オンラインストア。「妖怪学園Y ~ワイワイ学園生活~ ダウンロード版」の販売ページ。マイニンテンドーストアではNintendo Switch(スイッチ)やゲームソフト、ストア限定、オリジナルの商品を販売しています。
Also, a Yokai Watch spin-off anime happened, and also a game that was download only on Switch.
What is going on with Level 5 lol

EDIT: This is also coming to PS4 *sometime*

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they confirmed it so long ago, plans may have changed.
personally i don't expect it to be localized. who's even gonna publish it? i know they self published the last layton but nintendo was still handing the distribution of physical copies. i don't think bamco (publisher of ni no kuni games outside of japan) would be interested either.

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
ec.nintendo.com

妖怪学園Y ~ワイワイ学園生活~ ダウンロード版

任天堂の公式オンラインストア。「妖怪学園Y ~ワイワイ学園生活~ ダウンロード版」の販売ページ。マイニンテンドーストアではNintendo Switch(スイッチ)やゲームソフト、ストア限定、オリジナルの商品を販売しています。
Also, a Yokai Watch spin-off anime happened, and also a game that was download only on Switch.
What is going on with Level 5 lol

EDIT: This is also coming to PS4 *sometime*
They are flopping around real bad which sucks because I really just want the next Inazuma Eleven game to come out.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If Nintendo were interested in distributing it, it could use it to fill a month with something in retail (like Snack World).

Now that is out.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
they confirmed it so long ago, plans may have changed.
personally i don't expect it to be localized. who's even gonna publish it? i know they self published the last layton but nintendo was still handing the distribution of physical copies. i don't think bamco (publisher of ni no kuni games outside of japan) would be interested either.
They can self publish like Snack World

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
It would be funny if this did come to the west but only on Nintendo Switch because Level 5 couldn't get anyone else on board. NISA seems to be taking anything they get so they could be a good shot.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
snack-world and and layton mystery journey were self-published by level-5 but nintendo handled the physical release. so unless yw4 is digital only, they need someone to handle the physical release for them.
Thats not too hard, they can ask someone like Merge Games or Limited Run Games to handle physical release

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It would be funny if this did come to the west but only on Nintendo Switch because Level 5 couldn't get anyone else on board. NISA seems to be taking anything they get so they could be a good shot.
I don't know if NISA can handle the transmedia aspect.

Of course, on the other hand I doubt that there are television networks interested in broadcasting the anime, at least among my nephews and no one is interested in Yo-kai Watch.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Updated numbers

Worse than that the owners of YW4 on Switch could upgrade their copy digitally for around 1650Y (~15€).

Updated figures for YW4:

021./000. [NSW] Yo-kai Watch 4: We Are Looking Up at the Same Sky <RPG> (Level 5) {2019.06.20} (¥5.980) - 277.719 / NEW (150.462 <59,68%>)

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020

Of course, on the other hand I doubt that there are television networks interested in broadcasting the anime, at least among my nephews and no one is interested in Yo-kai Watch.

Oh I just assumed NISA would localise and distribute the game. Level 5 could handle the rest of it with other partners. Though honestly I'd prefer it if the transmedia thing wasn't a part of it. I'd rather have an authentic localisation for the game.

If Level-5 is holding up the western localization because of a last ditch effort to get the anime back on TV and merch back on the shelves, they will have no one but themselves to blame when those choices sink them for good. Not that I would expect YW4 to push anything in the west regardless, but they have to read the room.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If Level-5 is holding up the western localization because of a last ditch effort to get the anime back on TV and merch back on the shelves, they will have no one but themselves to blame when those choices sink them for good. Not that I would expect YW4 to push anything in the west regardless, but they have to read the room.
Not so long ago here in Spain, anime and toys were quite popular with children, that has completely disappeared.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
It also doesn't help that Level-5 themselves said that you have to watch some of the unlocalized Yokai Watch movies in order to fully appreciate the plot of YW4.

But regardless, it's been over a year now with no new updates about the localization and Level - 5 seems a bit preoccupied right now just trying to get something successful out the door domestically.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
Has Yo-Kai tanked as a media franchise in Japan? I remember a year or so ago it was getting ads before movies but that was when it was still Nintendo exclusive.