• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California

Having played both games, the Wooly World soundtrack is 100x better than Crafted World's repetitive music. But still, a bad look for the WW composer. I wonder why they didn't bring him back for the new game?

Link to the WW composer's (Tomoya Tomita) Twitter:

https://twitter.com/tomoya_tomita?lang=en

EDIT: According to MrSaturn99 this may be due to a language barrier and he doesn't understand what he is retweeting:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/yo...due-to-language-barrier.113349/#post-20151261

Last edited:

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
giphy.gif

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I heard about this last week. Not the best thing to do and certainly unprofessional as all get out, but I do agree that WW has not just a better soundtrack, but imo, it's one of the best Wii U game soundtracks in general. Damn, that system had a lot of games with awesome soundtracks!

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Having played both games, the Wooly World soundtrack is 100x better than Crafted World's repetitive music. But still, a bad look for the WW composer. I wonder why they didn't bring him back for the new game?

Link to the WW composer's (Tomoya Tomita) Twitter:

https://twitter.com/tomoya_tomita?lang=en

Unless I'm mistaken he was a Good Feel employee and left the company in 2017.

They could have hired him on a Freelance basis but they probably wanted to take the opportunity to promote internal talent.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Last week I heard that his English comprehension is poor so he just retweets anything related to Good-Feel, positive or negative. Was this not true?

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Crafted World's isn't that bad, let's not exaggerate. There's just not enough of it, ends up getting re-used way too much.

Also, the final map theme.......Wtffffff, the world 4 map theme is amazing as well

Oct 29, 2017
I doubt he meant it in jest. He might not have even gotten the actual context (he doesn't speak English does he?)

He works as a freelancer now and it was his choice to leave; so I doubt there's any real bad blood here. Hell, he only just worked on Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn anyway!

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
While it's definitely not a good idea professionally... I absolutely love that he's doing this.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously this isn't a smart move overall, but era, I cannot express to you how profoundly disappointed I am in the CW soundtrack. WW has an exceptional soundtrack full of creativity, depth, and variety. I used to play it in the kitchen on random Saturday mornings while making pancakes for the kids and it brightened the mood for the whole day. My daughter would request to listen to WW tracks when I put her to sleep at night. Imagine my surprise when CW comes out and the soundtrack is a cheap, lifeless imitation that feels amateur and low budget.

I don't know why Nintendo changed composers but it was a massive mistake.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
CW's OST is definitely a step below WW... so is the game, even though I'm still enjoying it. It just isn't quite the pleasure that WW was.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Last week I heard that his English comprehension is poor so he just retweets anything related to Good-Feel, positive or negative. Was this not true?

As someone who's interviewed him (and a friend who reaches out to him now and then), I can confirm this is the case. While we did obtain a third-party to maintain English/Japanese translation, he used Google Translate to decipher my email correspondence with him. He'll retweet anything regarding the music compositions of his Nintendo-related work regardless of context; for instance, not only did he retweet a video I took inside the Nintendo NY Store (which had Woolly World music playing over speaker), but also a comment from a friend merely commenting on my NY trip.

For whatever reason, he doesn't "like" Tweets. As I explain below, I highly doubt there's malice -- just an ill-advised practice stemming from language barriers.

I guess there's some bad blood.

Not necessarily -- Good Feel switched offices and he couldn't make the trip since he wanted to be with his family, but I believe he mentioned he'd love to work with them again given the opportunity. (I don't recall if this was in my interview -- there were at least two or three others around the same time period, so I'll have to double-check.)

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm an outlier but I really don't mind the soundtrack of Crafted World lol.

It's no Yoshi's Island, of course - but neither was Woolly World IMO.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Yeah, from both my interview and VGMO:

Very recently, you announced a freelance career. What spurred this decision?
Do you think you'll be working with Nintendo/Good-Feel again?

Good-Feel closed their Kobe office, so I had to venture out on my own, but I'd love to work with them again in the future.

Chris: At the start of the year, you left Good-Feel to become a freelance artist. What inspired this move? What will you be offering as a freelancer and what clients would you like to work?

Tomoya Tomita: This move was triggered by Good-Feel's decision to close their Kobe office. So it was not because there was a problem with our relationship (laughs). Although I am no longer a Good-Feel employee, my work with them has been continuing.

Again, ill-advised, but I'd like to think it's not malicious.

Didn't that happen to Suda 51 with the Killer 7 PC announcement? Looking at his other retweets, doesn't seem unlikely.

Tomita retweeted this.

Oh dear. Um, maybe I should reach out to him...?

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's interviewed him (and a friend who reaches out to him now and then), I can confirm this is the case. While we did obtain a third-party to maintain English/Japanese translation, he used Google Translate to decipher my email correspondence with him. He'll retweet anything regarding the music compositions of his Nintendo-related work regardless of context; for instance, not only did he retweet a video I took inside the Nintendo NY Store (which had Woolly World music playing over speaker), but also a comment from a friend merely commenting on my NY trip.

For whatever reason, he doesn't "like" Tweets. As I explain below, I highly doubt there's malice -- just an ill-advised practice stemming from language barriers.

Not necessarily -- Good Feel switched offices and he couldn't make the trip since he wanted to be with his family, but I believe he mentioned he'd love to work with them again given the opportunity. (I don't recall if this was in my interview -- there were at least two or three others around the same time period, so I'll have to double-check.)
I noticed a lot of his retweets are anything that says kirby music or yoshi music

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo should hire him as a freelancer for the next Yoshi game then. Clearly the fans didn't like this new guy.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
CW's OST is definitely a step below WW... so is the game, even though I'm still enjoying it. It just isn't quite the pleasure that WW was.
If by "step below" you're imagining a staircase where there's like a 50 foot fall between steps then yeah

I honestly can't remember ever playing a game with such a shitty OST before. Normally a game's music is either just there and I don't think about it, or it totally jams, but CW is, to me, offensively bad. I haven't looked into the settings but is there a way to just straight up turn the music off? I want to play with my sound on to help locate the Poochy Pups but I just can't stand the music at all.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The soundtrack for woolly world was so excellent by any standard. Maybe the best yoshi game soundtrack ever. I can 100% see where he's coming from

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
I do not own YCW, I've only watched it through a streamer, but these people are not wrong about the soundtrack. The moment it was already starting to reuse tracks in World 1, I had a bad feeling it wasn't going to get much better. That and having riffs of the main theme as level themes is obnoxious if it's not as catchy as something like Super Mario World. YWW's composer isn't very classy about this, but he's not wrong.