• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
During a recent Final Fantasy XIV livestream, Yoshi-P had some interesting things to say about the development of Final Fantasy XVI and how it will look and play on the PS5. The producer says that FF16 will essentially be a testament to the PlayStation 5's enthusiast-grade performance.

Yoshi-P also commented that the recent Final Fantasy XVI Revenge trailer was all in real-time: "It's all real-time rendering. No loading! It's become a game that is like 'look at the power of the PS5!" Yoshida-san said during the stream, as translated by Genki.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8989...he-playstation-5s-power-yoshi-says/index.html

Just for reference when the game was first revealed it looked like this:
creatorsfinalfantasy_3264683b.png

But with each trailer the visuals got better and better with this being from the latest one:
Final-Fantasy-XVI-Screenshot-037.jpg

Final-Fantasy-XVI-Screenshot-046.jpg

Should be noted that several FF titles have had the opposite happen wherein earlier development footage looked better than the final product, (FF13, FFXV).

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the eventual PC release has a nvidia partnership and incorporates all kinds of RT.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly if it's all realtime I wonder if he's also confirming that there will be minimal CG like the last couple FF games.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is a game that I'm already visually drawn to because of the art direction and flashiness of its action-based combat but I'll take a limits-pushing technical target, too! I suppose that's not exactly the most surprising element of a mainline single player FF game, but that does certainly seem like a significant change to the game's debut appearance, despite myself not really feeling very offput or critical of that first appearance.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Don't really care that much about the graphics. Please have great music, nice characters and a good story and fantastic gameplay. Please be good, please be good

Oct 25, 2017
Well I don't 100% agree with your FFXV statement. The E3 2016 gameplay demo (not the Titan one) was a mess and it got a great visual update after the delay and when it was released. If you're instead talking about the E3 2013 trailer, than it's another matter.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No loading screens but plenty of crevices to squeeze through! /s

Games looking fantastic

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm a certified PS5 expert at this point, so I'll be the judge of these claims once the game comes out.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Well I don't 100% agree with your FFXV statement. The E3 2016 gameplay demo (not the Titan one) was a mess and it got a great visual update after the delay and when it was released. If you're instead talking about the E3 2013 trailer, than it's another matter.
Note, looking worse does not=the final game looked bad. As it was still hands down one of the best looking JRPGs released last gen. It's just that they overshot a bit when it came to getting scenes trailer ready.
2ezruv.png

The trailer from TGS 2014 still looks insane, and not just because of the better skin shading, scene density, post processing quality, etc. but just in general the proposed scale. Like being able to ride past fields filled to the brim with wildlife and seemingly being able to get out at any time to attack them.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok4sTLzbLcs

Looking back it's comical just how many animals are in that car shot.
iLCqccg.gif

And ofc i'm not saying that everything looked worse, animation blending quality in the final game is better as an example.

I didn't bring up the 2013 trailer specifically because a metric fuckton of it is CGI target renders of the Altissia set piece with a fake HUD overlay mixed with a prototype build of a small battle sandbox that was indicative of how close FFV13 was to being cancelled.

Last edited:

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly if it's all realtime I wonder if he's also confirming that there will be minimal CG like the last couple FF games.
With the game looking as good as it does and considering the scope they are working with I wonder if cgi cutscenes would just not fit on the disc anymore.

I would at least love a cgi intro like XIV expansions get.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Really can't overstate how much I appreciated real time footage when this game was first revealed. I'd honesty prefer the upfront approach. It's been incredible to see how the graphics improved with each trailer.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I still believe that this game will be better than people think and will surprise a lot of people that were not into FF or dropped the series

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
Really can't overstate how much I appreciated real time footage when this game was first revealed. I'd honesty prefer the upfront approach. It's been incredible to see how the graphics improved with each trailer.

Same. Didn't stop a lot of people from going "this looks like an early PS4 game at best!" though. Despite us literally having been told that it was what they were currently working on and wanted to show it, noting that it wasn't properly polished yet (and indicating there was an actual game there, unlike the CGI trailers of XIII, Versus XIII and XV).

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing how the time till launch is all dedicated to polish since everything else is done i believe it. FF7 remake on PS5 also runs immaculately, the 60fps future is what i wish all studios would take this seriously.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Even though Yoshi-P's BS statement about diversity killed my FFXVI hype, it's nice to see the SSD of the PS5 truly being capitalized on. Hopefully this becomes a regular trend for current-gen exclusive games, especially with regards to DirectStorage support on PC.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
It is obvious that this is going to be in the top 30 releases next year. Can't wait!

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Last trailer had some scenes with hundreds of soldiers fighting. So you are telling me this was real time too ?!? I need the receipt lol

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's gonna be locked at 30 fps, isn't it.
It's not open world and Forspoken has a 60fps option.

Last trailer had some scenes with hundreds of soldiers fighting. So you are telling me this was real time too ?!? I need the receipt lol
That scene is actually one of the worse looking shots from the last trailer. Realtime battle scenes between armies has been possible since the 360 days and it's a lot easier to render tons and tons of npcs when the camera is far away that we can't notice the low LOD. Pause during that moment and it's super noticeable.

View: https://youtu.be/wvunu2e29tc?t=42

Last edited:

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Same. Didn't stop a lot of people from going "this looks like an early PS4 game at best!" though. Despite us literally having been told that it was what they were currently working on and wanted to show it, noting that it wasn't properly polished yet (and indicating there was an actual game there, unlike the CGI trailers of XIII, Versus XIII and XV).

Even though I love FFXV I still remember that initial Versus —> XV reveal trailer with the fake gameplay (won't even mention XIII's initial trailer lol) so even though the reactions to XVI's reveal sucked, it's still great that they were upfront with us and that instilled way more faith in this game than the usual cgi trailer.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, XVI is going to be current-gen exclusive? I totally thought it was getting a PS4 version, too.
Glad to hear it if so!

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I still believe that this game will be better than people think and will surprise a lot of people that were not into FF or dropped the series

I did not play any FF since 12 and this is the most exciting game of next year imo.

lol

Forspoken is out in one month and it was marketed as: "MADE EXCLUSIVELY FOR PS5" selling the SSD shit and it's on PC day one.

Forspoken has tons of marketing about being the first Direct storage title. I suppose FF16 will use it too.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I really like how the game looks in the first trailer but it has definitely come on leaps and bounds.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see how "no loading" works in a zone based game that takes place all over a continent.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh joy, incoming plenty of long animations to hide loading, otherwise there'll be no fast travel?

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
I like that everything will be in real-time, although those final fantasy CGI cutscenes were always nice :).

Looking forward to see more.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
That's cool, and it does seem to look nicer.

Hopefully daytime scenes and NPCs look better than FF7R. Found them to be pretty ugly there.

Kinda funny that early on he said something along he lines of FF games being too focused on the graphics and such, and now he's talking about how this pushes the PS5.

Yoshi P about to blow up in the overall Final Fantasy fandom instead of just being beloved by us FFXIVites, me thinks.
I dunno, the story, World and characters still look fairly uninteresting 🤷‍♂️

Oct 30, 2017
Final Fantasy games always were one of the best showcases for the Playstation hardwares, and they remain one of the best showcases of that generation.

And yeah the game got a massive upgrade visually since the reveal trailer.