• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PolygonalDude

Banned
Mar 1, 2022
XIV is an MMO from 2010 that has users who play the game on busted PCs and PS4. Its graphical upgrade will naturally be a bit limited. What does that have to do with XVI?
I want to see where Yoshi's aspirations lie outside of the improvements to FFXIV graphics as they are definitely long-in-the-tooth and overdue. He mentioned HFW and you guys brought up valid arguments into why a game from 2010 designed to work on older systems housing many different players will not really look like any modern AAA title.

In fact, Yoshi may not even want to aspire to be on HFW level even with FFXVI (which is totally fine), but I would want to know his thoughts on how they compare.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
You mentioned NPC screenshots. Could you upload them here? I don't believe I have seen any outside of brief glimpses in the trailers maybe that didn't really stick in my mind.

Also, I didn't say I will not be buying the game nor did I say definitively that it will be worse or better than anything else. I am basing it on the information we have. You also have zero evidence that the set pieces you've seen are not just glorified QTE sequences like in FFXV.

Final-Fantasy-XVI_2022_06-02-22_006.jpg

Final-Fantasy-XVI_2022_06-02-22_007.jpg

Final-Fantasy-XVI_2022_10-20-22_003.jpg

Fjir8I6VUAAn9Nf

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I want to see where Yoshi's aspirations lie outside of the improvements to FFXIV graphics as they are definitely long-in-the-tooth and overdue. He mentioned HFW and you guys brought up valid arguments into why a game from 2010 designed to work on older systems housing many different players will not really look like any modern AAA title.

In fact, Yoshi may not even want to aspire to be on HFW level even with FFXVI (which is totally fine), but I would want to know his thoughts on how they compare.
Ah, ok. Yeah, bringing up XIV to discuss the visual ambitions for XVI really makes no sense.

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Also, I didn't say I will not be buying the game nor did I say definitively that it will be worse or better than anything else. I am basing it on the information we have. You also have zero evidence that the set pieces you've seen are not just glorified QTE sequences like in FFXV.
www.resetera.com

IGN Interview with Yoshi-P about diversity inclusions in FFXVI leaves a lot to be desired.

Slightly off-topic but I'm praying that they add more diversity into the XIV character creator when they revamp it within the next couple years. Not just so players can create characters that more accurately reflect the diverse player base, but so the devs themselves can easily create more...

Also won't bother posting anything when you can open up any trailer and look at any NPC yourself.

And yeah, having zero-evidence but assuming the worst is the definition of concern-baiting.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I guess then it'd be easier to wait for the game to release and then compare it to HFW fidelity. I guess results will speak for themselves.

I mean sure, yes that is the most sensible response. But you're also comparing pretty much the best game for NPC model fidelity. If this is a make or break issue for you, you should probably not even bother

PolygonalDude

Banned
Mar 1, 2022
I mean sure, yes that is the most sensible response. But you're also comparing pretty much the best game for NPC model fidelity. If this is a make or break issue for you, you should probably not even bother
Not really. But when something raises a bar for you, you tend to compare it to other stuff moving forward. I have enough qualms with HFW outside of its graphics however so maybe it balances out. Kind of like Calisto Protocol but not as subpar outside of the visuals

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
As far as I am aware, these are part of the main storyline so main characters material, not NPCs who give you side quests standing at their stalls or walking around a given environment.

EDIT: Someone already posted images I did.

The screenshots from HFW you posted are also from the main story but here is probably a better one for that

frame_00606_0m20.1868s.png

frame_00504_0m16.7834s.png

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
The closest look we have of NPCs that will be random characters you see wandering about are these guys, at least if we go by this year's trailers (you see some in the first trailer, but it's clearly outdated):
7milrMD.png

wHKL7y5.png

Really small and blurry glimpses, but I think they'll look alright or passable at the very least. Expecting something even similar to HFW wouldn't be wise, yeah, that game is absolutely excellent in that aspect.

Last edited:

PolygonalDude

Banned
Mar 1, 2022
EDIT: Someone already posted images I did.

The screenshots from HFW you posted are also from the main story but here is probably a better one for that

frame_00606_0m20.1868s.png

frame_00504_0m16.7834s.png

The closest look we have of NPCs that will be random characters you see wandering about are these guys, at least if we go by this year's trailers (you see some in the first trailer, but it's clearly outdated):
7milrMD.png

wHKL7y5.png

Really small and blurry glimpses, but I think they'll look alright or passable at the very least. Expecting something even similar to HFW wouldn't be wise, yeah, that game is absolutely excellent in that aspect.
Okay yeah thanks this looks not bad

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
7milrMD.png

wHKL7y5.png

There's this too, although this is a 600p image of an NPC probably just standing somewhere

img_thumbnail03_pc.jpg

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I think the moogle is the first ingame NPC animation we have seen.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to say how much it's actually flexing when 95% of the footage they show is cinematics.

They have definitely made strides since that original trailer but I think it's more aesthetic changes to the how their lighting model looks. I don't really see like improvements to character detail or anything.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
LOL i mean, you pick two way moody cutscenes in dramatic lighting from one trailer and pick the flattest most uninteresting scene with the flattest mid-day lighting from trailer 1.

I mean, I would not argue that there isn't some improvement, but this constant refrain that the first trailer looked bad is astounding. the character models always looked good.

Iz7zaoz.png
8G5cYkj.png

And the idea people keep comparing them to FF7R is laughable because these models hold up WAY better in close-ups than FF7R. The skin textures especially. Like look at this real-time Yuffie, close-up the lower resolution of the textures are extremely obvious in ways ffXVI held up to even in the awakening trailer.

Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-Yuffie-Winking-Materia.jpg

Also you have to consider youtube compression (where my FFXVI shots came from, not Yuffie).
Also going back to awakening it's clear the NPCs and environments are MUCH more detailed compared to FF7R's painfully generic and flat npc's.

Using low quality pictures isn't really a win. Your picture of Yuffie is awful lol. FF7R's character models are excellent.

image_final_fantasy_vii_remake_intergrade-43251-4682_0001.jpg

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
7milrMD.png

wHKL7y5.png

Yeah, I think the NPCs at the very least look decent. However, I think the general asset quality in a lot of this can match or even exceed HFW. For instance, I think some of the geometry in rocks and buildings is higher than in Horizon FW, and the level of detail on the Eikons is incredible. HFW is still cross gen in spite of how amazing it looks. I am expecting Horizon 3 to look goddamn insane.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
seems like it'll have good 'fidelity' across the whole game as nothing outside the crazy set pieces looks jaw dropping gorgeous (IMO)

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018
Using low quality pictures isn't really a win. Your picture of Yuffie is awful lol. FF7R's character models are excellent.

image_final_fantasy_vii_remake_intergrade-43251-4682_0001.jpg
Yeah, the main FF7R character models are top-tier. It really didn't do their shit-tier NPC models any favours when they were in the same shot...

As long as FFXIV has a more consistent level of detail for all of it's characters, I will be delighted. I think that would be more of a cost / time issue than a performance one. Cranking out so many detailed models at that level will require a lot of artists and time.

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope this game looks and runs great.

Other than that, it already looks like it has a huge cast, so I hope the side characters stay for longer than 5 minutes, freaking HD (or is it UHD now?) towns, and side quests not from 90s rpgs. Please make a properly meaty main line FF again, SE.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
FF7R has great models yeah but do people forget the game is also only corridors and even uses matte paintings?

megamanofnumbers

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Apr 28, 2022
Makes sense. The PS5 is a very white console.

I'm making a joke about FF16's lack ethnically diverse people. In case anyone thinks I'm being toxic for no reason.