HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
There's no means to bypass the game.

Why does it automatically go to 'un-fun'...these things exist to make a quick buck off of someone and are enticing not because the game is 'un-fun', but because it is so ridiculously large.

We may just disagree here, but I include all aspects of the game to be about the game, gaining EXP and leveling up included. I understand that just by having an option to buy XP doesn't necessarily mean the game is unbalanced, but it certainly implies the possibility is there. It would absolutely behoove the company to make levels take just a little too long to the point of boredom to drive the MTX sales. I won't judge the outcome of the game based on that exclusively, but it certainly raises my skepticism and lowers my "hype" for the game.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I see you've decided not to engage with the question
So you belive that literally every example of monetization affects the design of a game?
We may just disagree here, but I include all aspects of the game to be about the game, gaining EXP and leveling up included. I understand that just by having an option to buy XP doesn't necessarily mean the game is unbalanced, but it certainly implies the possibility is there. It would absolutely behoove the company to make levels take just a little too long to the point of boredom to drive the MTX sales. I won't judge the outcome of the game based on that exclusively, but it certainly raises my skepticism and lowers my "hype" for the game.
No it wouldn't because the backlash would be a huge hit to their bottom line. You don't literally add more options for leveling and exp in a sequel if you want MORE players to engage with MTs that make leveling easier. You don't structure your entire game around typical RPG progression. The main people saying "oh woe with me how do I lvl up?" either A)Aren't playing the ridiculous amount of content or B)aren't satisfied with the gameplay loop in general.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hmmm, season pass has more content than ever before and the post launch support is stronger than ever before and got a trailer specifically dedicated to the content you'd be receiving vs a store where you're asked to check it once. On top of this Ubisoft has stated that things like cosmetics require less R&D and marketing. Gee I wonder which one they determine makes more bank and requires more effort.

I didn't ask for the sales pitch. I can google Ubisoft.com myself

I asked why you think the "But hey, we're making enough money, right guys?" person at Ubisoft doesn't get thrown out of the window

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shocking that eden is in here defending Ubi's honor against an optional cheat engine for a single player game.

People can do whatever they want to the games that they paid for.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I asked why you think the "But hey, we're making enough money, right guys?" person at Ubisoft doesn't get thrown out of the window
I'll reiterate:

You don't literally add more options for leveling and exp in a sequel if you want MORE players to engage with MTs that make leveling easier. You don't structure your entire game around typical RPG progression more so than previous games, with better content, and including options to just let a player ignore it..

Glad you ignored the point about you not playing the game btw. Inb4 "I watched youtube videos and listened to a minority of players."

I don't really know how what he's doing doesn't fall under the category of trolling.
How is "Ok I've played the game, others have played the game, here's how monetization works in the title and similar titles and why your speculation is unfounded in context" trolling vs. "I haven't played the game but let me make talk about how it's designed without any receipts."

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I mean there are countless firsthand accounts of people actually playing the game that know this to not be true but sure, I guess perception is more valuable if it fits what you want to believe.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most predatory MTs of our time. Look at all this pressure that the game puts on the player to buy MTs.
qJ8jp3r.png
I have to wonder how many outraged people have actually played the game vs watch a youtuber complain about the game and decide to join the campaign against it.

Also wonder how many of them just watch youtubers play games instead of play the games themselves.

That said, one of the perks of PC gaming is being able to manipulate the game to your liking, so I'm all for trainers in single player games.

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
I don't trust trainers. I really want to use one for DQXI because I'm already bored of the combat.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Shocking that eden is in here defending Ubi's honor against an optional cheat engine for a single player game.

As prolific as Eden is, their defense of Ubisoft particularly in the last couple of AC topics is off putting. Sure, most of us played through the game without going in the MTx store, but they're called predatory for a reason. The fact that they added an XP booster means that at the least the SLIGHTEST* amount of game balance must have been skewed in it's favor. That's a very common conclusion to jump to.

Yet anyone whose calling out this practice is either not playing the game right, or is not playing the game altogether (?).

The worst is when a few users are saying "Oh you HAATE Ubisoft with an agenda" .. like no .. I'm pretty sure the sentiments were exactly the same in the case of Shadow or War and *much* worse for Battlefront 2.

I don't trust trainers. I really want to use one for DQXI because I'm already bored of the combat.

Don't use a trainer. Use a cheat engine. A quick google search shows DQ11 has some really good cheat engine tables which have literally everything you'll want in a trainer.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Glad you ignored the point about you not playing the game btw. Inb4 "I watched youtube videos and listened to a minority of players."

Pot

Kettle

Black

Yes, I need to play one specific game, to understand how business works

I'm sorry I was mean to Ubisoft (I love Ubisoft games btw, I'm playing Unity right now and it runs great on the Pro)

Normally your comments are insightful and worth reading but it's impossible to talk to you on this subject without you veering into RISE UP territory so let's agree to disagree and we'll go about our day

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I have to wonder how many outraged people have actually played the game vs watch a youtuber complain about the game and decide to join the campaign against it.
When it comes to AC:Odyssey and ESPECIALLY on this website, very little. It's apparently ok to literally be this meme when you feel slighted by the existence of MTs on principle:
i-love-going-on-message-boards-and-complaining-about-games-lve-never-played-true-false-NIdCs.jpg

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I need to play one specific game,
Yes you need to literally not be this meme:
i-love-going-on-message-boards-and-complaining-about-games-lve-never-played-true-false-NIdCs.jpg

if you wanna talk about the progression of a title then play the damn game. Period. First hand experience does wonders for discussion because total shocker, you actually know what you're talking about. Someone literally called crafting materials a f2p currency, thats' how bad the discussion surrounding this game is when it comes to
-People who've played it
-People who have not'

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
How do you feel about the developer in my thread that agreed with me?

Does someone siding with you completely render anyone elses expert informed option moot?

If you're so adamant these MXTs don't have any impact on the game why not argue they shouldn't even be there? If you take what you say as gospel they don't need to be in the game at all, and Ubisoft have gone out of their way to make them even more pointless than they were in their last game

No one is saying Ubisoft set out to make a bad game, or an exploitative game, or a game that is ruined by MXTs, but that doesn't mean that they don't want to make more MXT money with Odyssey than they did with Origins, and they won't have half arsed a monitisation plan

Any tweaks to the system will be with the intention to sell more of them. That doesn't exist in isolation though, the game could be (and supposedly is) better than Origins

Those of you who think Ubisoft don't want to (or even care about) making more money every year are the ones who are blinded by bias

There isn't anything wrong with a company wanting to make money, and a company doing so doesn't automatically mean the games they produce will be worse games

I guess I could JuSt tAlK lIkE tHiS aNd AsK for gamers to RISE UP and then post that laughing blonde girl gif though

No were talking about the developer that said and I quote this.
Tbf, "monetization model" doesn't mean just microtransactions. Game without them also has a monetization model, like direct payment of 60 bucks to play the game is a monetization model in itself. Now the choice between f2p, subscription, indirect monetization through ads, mid priced, full priced, expansions, microtransactions will most likely affect the games design in different ways. There's usually quite a big difference between what are f2p with mtx and what are full priced games. Like f2p games are usually online multiplayer, not singleplayer games. Game's design can also affect the choosing of monetization. "We are going to do a MP only hero shooter, but how do we monetize it?" It's another question if the existence of the XP boost affects the leveling curve in AC:OD, or if the monetization model has had negative effect on the game in other ways. That's what people are arguing about. The developer wasn't talking about AC XP boosts, but generally about monetization models.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
You can really tell who never had any intention of playing this game. So far I'm level 22, and actually haven't bothered upgrading my gear once because I'm always finding better stuff to equip as I play the game. I've never one been underleveled for the main quest, either, since I actually bother to do sidequests and explore. I don't know why anyone would buy this game (or any open-world RPG) if they just want to ignore 75% of the content it has to offer.
This is a weird and contradictory post.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Yes, it's a tool to hack a game to access paid game content for free.

Like the ones that hack a game to disable dlc to play a pirated game or dlc, but this time with microtransactions.
Denuvo isn't defeated by changing one variable. This is absolutely not the same thing.
If you want to dive into the legality of it, it'd be covered by Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc. v. Nintendo of America, Inc.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's just weird the amount of effort--or money--people are willing to commit to play less of a game that they buy to play.
Why play the game when you can cheat! I'll ruin my experience and trivialize the game play, that'll show Ubi who's boss!

You guys must be new to PC gaming. People can experience the game however the hell they want as long as it isn't affecting anyone.

Do you get mad at mods too? You're gonna hate the way I play Bethesda RPGs then.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
So you belive that literally every example of monetization affects the design of a game?

No it wouldn't because the backlash would be a huge hit to their bottom line. You don't literally add more options for leveling and exp in a sequel if you want MORE players to engage with MTs that make leveling easier. You don't structure your entire game around typical RPG progression. The main people saying "oh woe with me how do I lvl up?" either A)Aren't playing the ridiculous amount of content or B)aren't satisfied with the gameplay loop in general.

That latter comment is where we're on the same page. Unfortunately all content isn't always good. Fetch quests can be an okay interrupt until they start requiring 100 of something instead of 10. Fights can be a primary way of enjoying the game until they require you defeat 1000 of the same enemy instead of 100. It's completely possible the game is designed with good gameplay in mind that wears out over time without letting you experience everything before you're bored. I've experienced that in many open world games. With the inclusion of paid shortcuts, the game is more likely than less likely to include an overuse of those types of quests in the hopes that you'll make the purchase to keep going. It's impossible to play down the existence of that paid transaction as if it was just thrown out there for no reason with no proforma and plan to drive it. That's just not how business works.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to AC:Odyssey and ESPECIALLY on this website, very little. It's apparently ok to literally be this meme when you feel slighted by the existence of MTs on principle:
Yes you need to literally not be this meme:

if you wanna talk about the progression of a title then play the damn game. Period. First hand experience does wonders for discussion because total shocker, you actually know what you're talking about.
giphy.gif

What's contradictory about it?

Snarky image 1: check
Snarky image 1 again: check
Recycled Gif response: check
Accusation of agenda against Ubisoft specifically: check
Telling people to play the game to be worth having a discussion: check

I think we hit Bingo.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
How is "Ok I've played the game, others have played the game, here's how monetization works in the title and similar titles and why your speculation is unfounded in context" trolling vs. "I haven't played the game but let me make talk about how it's designed without any receipts."
i don't know why you keep pretending the several posters itt who say they have played the game don't exist

are you saying they are liars?

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
I mean there are countless firsthand accounts of people actually playing the game that know this to not be true but sure, I guess perception is more valuable if it fits what you want to believe.

It's not perception. It's business. I'm also not ruling the game out. It's entirely possible this doesn't play into the game as a major factor, and that the gameplay is so engaging that I'm ok playing longer. I'm only saying it's something I'll always consider when purchasing a game, and I'll read plenty of reviews beforehand. No need to dismiss my comment. I'm only discussing it.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC gaming gets more and more enticing by the day. Glad no one on that platform has to deal with the bullshit.

Also love how upset some got in this thread that people found a way around the boosters.
Can you quote one of these people? Can't find a single one so I'm curious.
Also lmao Found a way. The game doesn't obfuscate any of its values, anyone with a brain and basic cheatengine knowledge can easily make a table for it. In fact many of the addresses are the same as Origins.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denuvo isn't defeated by changing one variable. This is absolutely not the same thing.
If you want to dive into the legality of it, it'd be covered by Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc. v. Nintendo of America, Inc.
Both uPlay and the game have terms of service, I didn't read them but obviously they won't allow people to hack the game to get paid games or content for free.

I assume that the first thing they may want to protect is their games from piracy.

And it doesn't matter if you need to just change a variable or to make a more complex effort: to remove Denuvo from a game you owned is ok (I think, in terms of morality), but to remove Denuvo(or any other protection tool or way to hack the game) to play for free a paid game/dlc/microtransaction you didn't buy.

In the same way, to use a trainer to get XP boost in a single player game that doesn't sell XP boost with microtransactions would be ok. But this game sells XP boosts with microtransactions, so to hack this game to get XP boosts for free is piracy.

Last edited:

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
It's not an option in this game or many others though. Plenty of RPGs have had level gated content that requires the player to achieve a certain level before being able to complete. How is this suddenly any different? If that's not how you want to play the game, like it's intended, then don't play it.
Once again I think this is a dislike of the change in gameplay styles AC did with Origins.

People are acting like they forgor what an RPG is and how gated progression works in some of them.

Instead of admitting they dislike the new path the franchise took they just jump onboard the mtx conspiracy train because it fits their narrative.

At least that is what I think.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That latter comment is where we're on the same page. Unfortunately all content isn't always good. Fetch quests can be an okay interrupt until they start requiring 100 of something instead of 10. Fights can be a primary way of enjoying the game until they require you defeat 1000 of the same enemy instead of 100. It's completely possible the game is designed with good gameplay in mind that wears out over time without letting you experience everything before you're bored.
Your moveset literally becomes more fun overtime so this is a case by case basis that depends on the player's reception to unlocking the ability to turn invisible, slowing down time, and shooting through multiple enemies:
MSw4GVf.gif

The people who haven't played the game would tell you otherwise but these are literally features that make progression faster than a 50% exp boost would.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yes? Nickeling and dimeing in a full price game is inherently negative. There's no such thing as a postive microtransaction in a full priced title. I have no idea how your post is attempting to refute that point other than saying "AC isn't as bad as NBA 2K so it's okay".
I don't know what "damned if you don't" means in this context, unless you seriously believe microtransactions are the only thing keeping AAA pubs afloat

AC literally isn't as bad as NBA 2k and that IS okay, because the intent isn't to get you to need it that's what I'm saying. You can play this game without ever needing it. I haven't ran into a part of the game that was so frustrating that I need to buy an XP boost to need it. By design, this game doesn't require you to need it because it give you a lot to do. I don't know when that became bad design, but giving you more never felt like it was trying to sell you a way out.

And Yes, there has been "damned if you don't" where people felt the game was too grindy or didn't give enough that they would have preferred a way to BUY an easy way out. I don't know how long you have been apart of forums but both arguments coexist.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
i don't know why you keep pretending the several posters itt who say they have played the game don't exist

are you saying they are liars?
Do they represent the majority who have no issue with progression?
Accusation of agenda against Ubisoft specifically: check
Citation needed.

Telling people to play the game to be worth having a discussion: check
"I can't believe you want people to actually play the game before talking about the nuances of it's progression system with people who have played it. How shameful."

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Both uPlay and the game have terms of service, I didn't read them but obviously they won't allow people to hack the game to get paid games or content for free.

I assume that the first thing they may want to protect is their games from piracy.
Not piracy. Modifying a game you owned is not a violation of copyright law. Using a Gameshark or an Action Replay or a trainer on PC is not a violation of copyright law.
If the XP booster actually downloads new code, using that code without paying would be illegal. However, you're just paying $10 for Ubisoft to change a variable. Changing a variable yourself is not a violation of copyright law.
How well the terms of service would hold up in court is another thing, assuming they have something saying preventing this.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You have a real knack for stepping into threads and making absolutely nonsensical statements. Crossing Eden doesn't give a fuck about this PC trainer. What are you even talking about?

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Are there such people ITT? Tried to search with "grind", nobody who has played the game in this thread called it grindy to my knowledge.
I'm almost level 14 and finding the XP a real slog - but if I double the pace of experience I won't have the necessary gear or mats for my ship to keep up with foes' power.
The hell are you on?

I'm Playing the game, every youtuber I've seen mention this issue is playing the game, all of my friends with this issue are all playing the game.

The mental gymnastics on this one.
not from this thread but there's also this:
I just hit 20 hours playtime last night, and I'm at level 16. I have to say that I do feel this game is much more of a 'grind' than Origins (which I put about 120 hours into) ever was.

I don't rush these games. Just to be clear. I love taking my long slow time and exploring, but I honestly think I'm having to do far more in the way of the repetitive stuff like clearing forts and camps, in order to keep within the required level of the main story, and surprisingly I feel like there are actually less side quests in each of the areas of the map that I've visited, relative to Origins.

Also, the sheer amount of materials and coin needed to upgrade gear in Odyssey is simply overwhelming. I've given it up as a bad joke. I'm not upgrading anything until I hit the level cap, I'll just save all money and materials and scrap all useless gear until then. By contrast, in Origins I fully upgraded all of Bayek's gear and played around with levelling up different weapons throughout the game. It just doesn't feel possible here, and of course, it doesn't help that those same materials are needed to upgrade a ship this time, which I assume will pretty much be essential at a certain point, or I'll just get blown out of the water by enemy ships?

I don't know about this at all. The game is beautiful, huge and I like the characters and story. I want to lose myself in it, but it really does feel like I'd be having a much better time if I put my hand in my pocket again and paid for the XP and Drachmae boosters or material packs. In fact I'm tempted to do it for no other reason than curiosity, just to see if makes a noticeable difference.

I never felt this way with Origins, at all. Not once did I have a single thought along these lines. It was an incredible, fun experience from start to finish. To repeat, again, I don't rush these games. I explore. I do side quests first.

Odyssey just feels like it's holding me back, to be honest. It's quite disappointing.
found these spending 5 minutes searching

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I have no issue with the modding scene in general but framing this as "You can bypass AC:Ody's MTs" as if they have a significant effect on the experience is odd.

"Hmmm, my conclusion is that Crossing Eden is angry about people using trainers."

Ok so do you want me to quote the majority of the OT as a response or? Or even the majority of responses from game journos or people in this threads? You want to take that L?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I don't think there is a single Eden post going against using a trainer.
It's devilish circle, people make stuff up about Crossing Eden or at least mispresent him, they mock him, then when his patience runs out because of that dumb bullshit (happened few threads ago) they mock him more. Those snarky and inflammatory drive-by posts are the worst thing these threads have. People with nothing to contribute coming to take their shots. Grade A assholes.

Thanks, as I said just searched with the word grind. I've seen such posts in other threads, missed those in this one.

Last edited:

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
You have a real knack for stepping into threads and making absolutely nonsensical statements. Crossing Eden doesn't give a fuck about this PC trainer. What are you even talking about?

There is a reason there were threads literally just about him and his posts on the old site.

OT: Currently playing now, the XP boost does literally nothing to the design of the game. i am 4 levels over the recommended level for my area ATM just by playing the game. origins had this exact same system.....but because there wasn't an optional XP booster that literally does nothing for people who play the game normally, there was no outrage.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My personal experience with the game is this. I only have the retail edition with no special boosts. I'm 20 hours in, playing at my own pace, I'm level 20, and I've already outpaced a number of the locations that I've yet to go to on the crit path. I'm just extrapolating based on the areas that now show 20-20 for their level that I haven't even set foot in yet. If I were bee-lining the main story it may be different, but I've not encountered any reason to feel like I need the permanent boosts. Then again, I find the core gameplay loops fun and don't mind raiding a base or taking out some ships, which are great ways to get crafting mats. I also don't upgrade my gear every level, but instead every 5-ish, and haven't had any difficulty as a result of that either. I don't feel the need to use the cheats presented here either for the same reasons. I'm having fun just playing games and interacting with the systems present.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
AC literally isn't as bad as NBA 2k and that IS okay, because the intent isn't to get you to need it that's what I'm saying. You can play this game without ever needing it. I haven't ran into a part of the game that was so frustrating that I need to buy an XP boost to need it. By design, this game doesn't require you to need it because it give you a lot to do. I don't know when that became bad design, but giving you more never felt like it was trying to sell you a way out.

And Yes, there has been "damned if you don't" where people felt the game was too grindy or didn't give enough that they would have preferred a way to BUY an easy way out. I don't know how long you have been apart of forums but both arguments coexist.
I'm not arguing how needed or unneeded the XP boost is. A full priced title shouldn't have scummy microtransactions at all, and game A being worse than game B doesn't make game B's microtransactions acceptable.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
So honest question here as someone who doesn't PC game much, or at least doesn't do AAA gaming on PC.

Is this PC Trainer program just essentially enabling old-school cheats that used to be built into the game like IDDQD and such? And the cheats are just activating the same XP boost that would be gotten from MTX? It's not "purchasing" the MTX for free or anything?

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not piracy. Modifying a game you owned is not a violation of copyright law. Using a Gameshark or an Action Replay or a trainer on PC is not a violation of copyright law.
If the XP booster actually downloads new code, using that code without paying would be illegal. However, you're just paying $10 for Ubisoft to change a variable. Changing a variable yourself is not a violation of copyright law.
How well the terms of service would hold up in court is another thing, assuming they have something saying preventing this.
By doing this you are stealing paid content to get it for free without paying, and you are doing by altering the game with third party tool, something protected by their terms of service. So they are protected to ban your uPlay account if they decide so (due to altering the game with external tool) and the court may also would say you are stealing (getting paid content without paying).

To use this kind of trainer in a game that doesn't sell XP boosts would be ok, but to get paid content for free is not.

At the end of the day, to access paid any other DLC or microtransaction also is changing a variable even if traditionally in most games they have a stronger typically server based protection. But to have it more or less protected doesn't give you permission or legal rights to hack the game to get paid content for free.

It's like to say to steal a hot dog in the street because the guy who were selling them didn't have a security guard next to them. To steal isn't ok.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So honest question here as someone who doesn't PC game much, or at least doesn't do AAA gaming on PC.

Is this PC Trainer program just essentially enabling old-school cheats that used to be built into the game like IDDQD and such? And the cheats are just activating the same XP boost that would be gotten from MTX? It's not "purchasing" the MTX for free or anything?
Trainers essentially let you break a game yes.

Yes let's be very careful about trivializing something as serious as *checks notes* grinding in a video game.
oXDIuoF.gif

Playing questlines in a video game that constantly encourages you to engage with side questlines and don't' even refer to them as such is grinding.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Ok so do you want me to quote the majority of the OT as a response or?
well, you have to consider that there is usually a pretty big selection bias in OTs, where they're generally populated by people who like the game and not necessarily representative of the audience at large

(not to mention that of course people who buy ubicontent™ games are less likely to be bothered by grinding ubicontent™)