• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pick any disease and wipe it out. But your loved ones are no longer

• Yes. I would do it to save millions and potentially billions of lives.

Votes: 150 27.5%
  • No. My family, my friends are just too precious.

Votes: 268 49.1%
  • I like booty.

Votes: 128 23.4%

• Total voters

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
... Do you do it?

Rules:

1. All illnesses. Yes, all of them. If you choose. It works retroactively.
2. When you choose it, it completely wipes it out. It works retroactively.
3. By "lose your loved ones" I mean they disappear. They are not hurt in the process. But your family, lovers, and pets poof into thin air. Ceasing to exist.
4. If #3 wasn't obvious enough for you, the affected individuals HAVE TO BE ALIVE. Meaning no one can be brought back from the dead.

Hmm?

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I want the one person who voted yes to explain themselves.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure this poll will prove how tribal we really are. Myself included.

I voted "no".

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Removing all illnesses would create a global population and resource epidemic that would doom humanity. If you could remove all illnesses but choose not to remove certain ones, you'd be hunted down for the rest of your life.

Never.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
What is my loved ones died from the disease I'm eradicating and then pop back into existence?

dumb threads are dumb.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
I mean if a family member came up to me and said "hey I can cure the world of all diseases and bring about tremendous change, but you'll cease to exist" I'd say yes.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
What about people who already have had their loved ones taken away? Would this mean they sacrifice nothing to get the adoration of the world?
I mean, they've gotta have somebody out there, right? A cousin? A grandpa? No one to sacrifice?
What is my loved ones died from the disease I'm eradicating and then pop back into existence?

dumb threads are dumb.
I thought it would be obvious they wouldn't be brought back to life. But I will spell it out for ya :)

No they aren't brought back to life this affects LIVING PEOPLE ONLY OBVIOUSLY lol!!!

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
How close are these friends and family? Like I have a large extended family and a rather large friend group but like, not a lot of best friends.

Can I break up with my girlfriend first? Like badly so she hates me?

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
No way, my wife is the best person on the planet so it would be pointless to save everyone else while she dies.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
How close are these friends and family? Like I have a large extended family and a rather large friend group but like, not a lot of best friends.

Can I break up with my girlfriend first? Like badly so she hates me?
If you love them. They are gone. If you love no one, they stay. The "magic" knows when you are lying/trying to suppress your feelings. Don't even try to be slick lmao.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Of course I would. It's human responsibility.

Would I be happy about it? No... but I'd feel worse if I chose to save my own family over BILLIONS of people.

Edit: Wait, I didn't read the fine print closely. Retroactively? I ain't messing with history, bruh. Plus, wiping out souls from existence entirely is even worse than illness. Changing my vote.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I would never sacrifice my kids, wife, sisters, mother etc.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I am actually surprised this many people would choose to have their friends alive while the planet continues to suffer from cancer, aids, etc etc. Fascinating. You chose a handful of relationships over the lives of millions of people (children, intants, engineers, scientists,)

Imagine if we could free up entire sectors of STEM researchers so that they can focus on other commitments instead of worrying about curing lupus.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I am actually surprised this many people would choose to have their friends alive while the planet continues to suffer from cancer, aids, etc etc. Fascinating. You chose a handful of relationships over the lives of millions of people (children, intants, engineers, scientists,)
I don't think I'd retroactively cause such a massive change to human history even if it meant my family was unharmed.

Wait, I didn't read the fine print closely. Retroactively? I ain't messing with history, bruh. Plus, wiping out souls from existence entirely is even worse than illness.
This

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Damn. I thought we was friends. I totally disagree with you on this.

Era: Civil War

We gotta throw hands like Captain America and Iron Man did
200.gif

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

Imagine if we could free up entire sectors of STEM researchers so that they can focus on other commitments instead of worrying about curing lupus.

You really tryna guilt trip?

You aint my momma.

You automatically lose.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can I get a better definition of loved ones? Family? Do all friends count? Past relationships?

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

I would have chosen yes but you put booty up there. What was I supposed to do? Maybe the entire booty crowd is also a yes crowd. Need multi option

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'd retroactively cause such a massive change to human history even if it meant my family was unharmed.

This

Edit: Wait, I didn't read the fine print closely. Retroactively? I ain't messing with history, bruh. Plus, wiping out souls from existence entirely is even worse than illness. Changing my vote.

No one is being brought back to life btw. No history changed. Only living people are affected. Meaning anyone alive with cancer will have it removed. People who died from cancer stay dead.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'd just show my family one of those children's cancer videos and we'd all agree it was for the best. They'd get some cool tombs and statues out of the deal. Maybe some cities named after them.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to think I would have the mental strength to do it, but when I look my kids....NOPE.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
So choice #3 indicates to me that I will get a whole lot of new loved ones? And immortality and the gratitude of billions?