Pick any disease and wipe it out. But your loved ones are no longer

• Yes. I would do it to save millions and potentially billions of lives.

Votes: 150 27.5%
  • No. My family, my friends are just too precious.

Votes: 268 49.1%
  • I like booty.

Votes: 128 23.4%

• Total voters

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
tenor.gif

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly disgusted by the results of this poll. This just goes to show how far humanity has fallen. There's clearly only one morally correct choice yet it's far behind the winning option.

I like booty.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
Because we can't actually learn to "love" humanity in a general sense, we instead rely on learning from loved ones how we should treat others and make ethical decisions that gesture towards humanity. So I'm going to say no.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Ah, good, another TLOU thread.

And no, sorry humanity. I won't pretend I care about my "human responsibility" even for an online poll.
I'd trade billions of your lives for my kids' with no second thoughts or regrets whatsoever.

Besides, I don't think the planet could handle all the people I'd save. But that's beyond the point and not at all what motivates the choice.

Now if it's my own life we'd be trading yeah maybe. Loved ones', lol, no.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I am actually surprised this many people would choose to have their friends alive while the planet continues to suffer from cancer, aids, etc etc. Fascinating. You chose a handful of relationships over the lives of millions of people (children, intants, engineers, scientists,)

Imagine if we could free up entire sectors of STEM researchers so that they can focus on other commitments instead of worrying about curing lupus.

I'm actually surprised more people are saying they would sacrifice their loved ones. You are basically asking to save faceless billions, and sacrificing your loved ones, while you are still alive.

I'd rather die than sacrifice my wife and kids. I

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I'm actually surprised more people are saying they would sacrifice their loved ones. You are basically asking to save faceless billions, and sacrificing your loved ones, while you are still alive.

I'd rather die than sacrifice my wife and kids. I

Faceless billions who have faces and wives and kids and untold loved ones that die daily, every minute, tragically from desease. I'd rather die than sacrifice my loved ones as well, that isnt the choice though.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, they've gotta have somebody out there, right? A cousin? A grandpa? No one to sacrifice?

I thought it would be obvious they wouldn't be brought back to life. But I will spell it out for ya :)

No they aren't brought back to life this affects LIVING PEOPLE ONLY OBVIOUSLY lol!!!
How can you eradicate a disease retroactively and not bring people back to life?

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Given how vague "Your loved ones disappear" is? Nah. That whole deal is its own existential question.

"You don't kill your loved ones... they just never were. Presumably, though, you're still standing at the end of this precisely where you are now. Their actions remain." I... what did I just do to my loved ones? That's so much more ominous than just killing them, and I wouldn't kill them to get power, so why would I do this to get power? If they're not dead, but they're not anywhere on earth... are they alone? Are they safe? Do they miss me?

If you wrote this in a more "fantasy" way than a "sci-fi" way, like "You can heal any disease, but in the process you will be fated to never see or interact with your loved ones ever again," that would at least answer more questions and be a more pertinent moral question. "But you lose your loved ones and they are no more but they don't die" is just... like... nightmarish to contemplate.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
How can you eradicate a disease retroactively and not bring people back to life?
Because the people who had it don't have it anymore? Like, I'm not sure how else to explain this.

If the person is already deceased, their bodies are not active. They're dead, jim.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
"A truly virtuous man would come to the aid of the most distant stranger as quickly as to his own friend.
If men were perfectly virtuous, they wouldn't have friends."
This quote by Montesquieu comes to mind. Basically, if your goal is to do the most virtuous and right thing, then perhaps you have already failed by having loved ones to begin with, whom you give preference to in how you treat them over others every single day.

I literally have no loved ones so this is a no brainer.
The only way to win.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Because the people who had it don't have it anymore? Like, I'm not sure how else to explain this.

If the person is already deceased, their bodies are not active. They're dead, jim.

That's not retroactively then, it's just curing everyone of the disease they have.

Muddying your own water here Bones.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yea and I'd take myself out. Can't live with what I've done to the loved ones if I'm not alive.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Ideally I'd say yes. The thing holding me back though is not the handful of people I'd painlessly take out of existance, but rather the massive amount of extra people this would overload the world with. But if I think like that, I'm no better than nutsack-chin.

Hooky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My choice is simple:

Thor 2: The Dark World

No. No more Thor 2: The Fucking Dark World. You are banished to the realm of tired jokes--all expenses paid (so don't stress out) courtesy of Dr Pleb and the Interstellar Bubble of Anguish--for the period of two bannings. Seeing as you're unfamiliar with the concept...it's actually not that long.

PkaYYL9.jpg

Inscrutable as always, Dr Pleb is actually
working on a new dance craze

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
No. No more Thor 2: The Fucking Dark World. You are banished to the realm of tired jokes--all expenses paid (so don't stress out) courtesy of Dr Pleb and the Interstellar Bubble of Anguish--for the period of two bannings. Seeing as you're unfamiliar with the concept...it's actually not that long.

PkaYYL9.jpg

Inscrutable as always, Dr Pleb is actually
working on a new dance craze

I change my choice:

Thor 2: The Dark World 2: Ragnarok

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
What if?
Not happening.

Anyway, i'll always save my son first. Best of luck with your diseases, world.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
I whould take away my own disease, which whould also help my closest friend, so losing my family is a low price to pay.
Me and my friends and many other whould live longer instead of dying earlier and making our families suffer

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
After losing my Mum in January to illness and knowing how much that hurt, I'd wait until all my family were gone then hit the switch.

I like to think I'm a globalist and try to put humanitys needs before my own, but without my family I am nothing. Not only that, but is curing all disease really good for us? It's sad, but diseases control the population and if the population gets out of control at this current time humanity is all going to die anyway.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I whould take away my own disease, which whould also help my closest friend, so losing my family is a low price to pay.
Me and my friends and many other whould live longer instead of dying earlier and making our families suffer

Umm your friends would die. Because I assume you "love" them

Last edited:

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes I would if it means no one has to to through what I'm going anymore

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
No solutions come without problems of their own. What happens when people have hugely inflated life expectancies, but are still too old to work? Even without the need for doctors to fight illnesses, we'd still have accidents. We'd consume huge amounts of resources and hurtle even faster towards a climate change crisis.

I think you could write an entire thesis on a world without disease.