BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Simple question, there have been a plethora of war movies since the advent of cinema, but which one is your absolute favorite or rather which one would you consider to be the best?

NOTE: It has to be a "real" war movie, meaning NO fictional Wars. The story can be as fictional as it likes (Saving Private Ryan) as long as it is set within a historical war and is "grounded/realistic." Thus, no Star Wars or Avatar or Captain America or Infinity War or Lord of the Rings. "Mythical" movies can be allowed such as Troy as the debate on whether such a war/battle occurred is still in dispute. But again, it must be relatively grounded so no Clash of the Titans.

My pick:

Apocalypse Now: Redux (1979) (2001)

apocnow.gif

The absolute perfect War movie for me and one of my favorite movies of all time. I prefer the Redux version so we can get every minute of Coppola's three hour long sheer madness and genius. It's not so much a movie as it is an experience, a look into what war in Vietnam was like (or perhaps what we imagine it was like) and the madness that is war itself. The plot is intentionally very thin, always present, but never the star. Rather, Vietnam and these cast of characters are the real draw of the film as we witness them explore every aspect of the war in Vietnam and their descent into the Heart of Darkness.

Whereas most war movies beforehand glorified war, especially World War II, Apocalypse Now was part of the first of many following the Vietnam War to present a negative outlook on warfare. To explore not just the physical cost, but the psychological cost. The movie came out just four years after the War officially ended and opens with our lead character clearly suffering from PTSD. The absolute balls...

Another great point about the film is the absolute attention to detail from the way the cast talk, to the props used, and the scenarios they find themselves in. It's also simply drop dead gorgeous with some of the most iconic shots in cinema:

tumblr_ms40zzXbaL1qfhre5o1_400.gif

RemoteZealousDodo-size_restricted.gif

e9484af63b5a6a74668dbbe27f59c57d.gif

apocalypse.gif

Your turn.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

x8LFZgE.gif

Last edited:

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
OP's answer. Apocalypse Now is a masterpiece. You can take virtually any shot from that movie and it would make a great portrait.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not a big fan of the genre, but I really enjoyed Inglourious Basterds. So many tense scenes and Christoph Waltz stole the show as Hans Landa!

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From an 'entertainment' perspective, Platoon is up there, but my favourite proper 'war' film is 'The 317th Platoon' which not many people seem to have seen. Massively underrated.

Edit - I guess the parallel is both films were shot by veterans of their respective wars.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
While I like Saving Private Ryan for the action and spectacle, my recent new favorite is Downfall
A bleak and disturbing war drama, that portrays the final days and aftermath of Berlin during WW2. While many war movies have depicted final stands and desperate against-all-odds battles, Downfall feels more like a nightmare. The last stand fought by people unwilling to see it as such, and thus wasting lives and making horrific decisions for a hopeless cause. The surreal juxtaposition of the war waging outside and those in the oppressive halls of the bunker below, still struggling to cling to some sense of normalcy and hope, even though you see in their eyes and voice that they know otherwise. The slow train crash that is the dawning realization of defeat and doom.

The cast is strong, but Bruno Ganz as Hitler is mesmerizing. How explosive paranoid rage gives way to subdued resignation, or those slumped shoulders and that twitching hand...it's a captivating performance.
auICI1fl.jpg

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Not technically a movie, but Band of Brothers. Specifically the Bastogne episode with Doc Roe or the one with Lipton.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
If we're doing larger scope than just war/battlefield films, it would be remiss to not mention Son of Saul. It deserves to be mentioned alongside Schindler's List, The Pianist, and other acclaimed films that revolve around the Holocaust, a haunting masterpiece
Son of Saul is a gripping and horrifying drama that ingeniously uses its camera to engross you in this grotesque hell on a very intimate level. The camera practically hovers over the shoulder and back of Saul, often aimed directly at his face as he walks and acts throughout Auschwitz in long takes. We are here with him, beside him and behind him. The background is blurred and out of the focus, we see and hear the horror, but just barely, just enough.

The camera is Saul's mindset and perspective, him trying to not see, to cope through dissociating and numbness, except for when he can't. An early moment has him bumping into an officer; Saul instinctively snaps to attention, takes off his hat, and the world around him comes back into focus as if suddenly he's aware of everything in that moment. And then the moment passes, his head and eyes droop down again, the world blurs. It's an effective use of the camera for storytelling means.

This closeness and perspective only reinforces the intimacy of the story; Son of Saul follows the titular Saul, a Sonderkommando seeking to bury the body of his son in early October 1944. That is his laser-focused purpose, his drive over the concise two-day timeline of the movie, and it's through this journey that we follow him, that we see the methodical industrial horror of Auschwitz; in a way, I was reminded of Nolan's Dunkirk, and how that movie used its stories to represent a microcosm of the experiences of those involved in the rescue. Here, while we only see a narrow sliver through Saul's intense perspective, we can feel the larger scope of the evil that his story moves through. It's always oppressively inescapably in the background, no matter where he goes. This is no soundtrack here, only the incessant cacophony of death and misery.

Son of Saul deserves to be considered up there with Schindler's List, The Pianist, Band of Brothers' Why We Fight, and other praised movies/episodes about the Holocaust. Its unique perspective, very personal story, and unflinching yet tasteful portrayal of Auschwitz's atrocities makes it a difficult but compelling and important watch

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Probably the Longest Day.

3 hours of WWII drama and real german instead if nazi brits.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Black Hawk Down. I guess the military squeezed a fair amount of sugar coating out of Ridley, but it still puts you in the middle of a collosal military fuck up in a way no movie has replicated. Whenever I get a new surround system it's the first movie I put on, the sound design is amazing.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Black Hawk Down. I guess the military squeezed a fair amount of sugar coating out of Ridley, but it still puts you in the middle of a collosal military fuck up in a way no movie has replicated. Whenever I get a new surround system it's the first movie I put on, the sound design is amazing.

Black Hawk Down made Duckroll patriotic for the USA and he's not even american. True story.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Saving Private Ryan. The part when the German is slowly pushing the knife into the guy was like a horror movie.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, this is a hard choice.

I don't think I could pick between Black Hawk Down or Saving Private Ryan, I love them both.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Saving Private Ryan

I like Apocalypse Now about as much but I see the war elements as more a setting for an almost psychological horror story

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Waterloo

Waterloo-1970.jpg

The greatest war movie ever made in sheer size. And i don't think we'll ever see a credible contender. No publisher of today would want to hire 17.000 actual soldiers to train them in historic drills and battle formations for the sake of a motion picture anymore. They'd just CGI everything.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Bridge Over the River Kwai is another oldy, but goody. All the awards are worthy.

Rolfgang

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Tough choice, but I guess it's Saving Private Ryan. I was in High School when it came out and our history teacher showed it during the final class of the day. After less than an hour the class was over and everyone who wanted to stay could stay and those who didn't could leave. Everyone stayed until the last minute, it was so damn impressive.

Also, it's so weird to see the title Downfall in this thread. I thought it was just called Der Untergang internationally, just like Das Boot.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I can't give a single answer, but here are some I consider worth mentioning here:

• Doctor Strangelove
  • Paths of Glory
  • Catch-22
  • Slaughterhouse 5
  • Culloden (1964)
The latter film is particularly interesting for its excellent use of amateurs and adoption of the techniques of modern TV journalism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culloden_(film)

Catch-22 is a rather patchy adaptation of Heller's novel, but it features some memorable performances from a rich cast.

Paths of Glory may (alongside Ace in the Hole) be the career-defining performances for Kirk Douglas.