• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
images

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
There are some legit masterpiece war movies out there. My faves are Ryan and Platoon. Watching Ryan in the theater was an unreal experience.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Black Hawk Down, I also quite liked Windtalkers even though it was shit on by critics.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Das Boot, because it is the only war movie that I can watch that just fills me with utter despair while watching it. A lot of war movies suffer from what I believe Truffaut was one of the first to point out, namely that by depicting war many movies end up glamorizing it. I love movies like Saving Private Ryan and Apocalypse Now but I usually end up reflecting on the artistry of them. Das Boot just leaves me feeling disgusted and with a feeling of emptiness that no other war film I have found can replicate.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
A Bridge Too Far. The all star cast is one of the best in movie history. Very well told story about Operation Market Garden.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
For me Apocalypse now, and it's not even close.

That film is a goddamn masterpiece. For reasons already stated by others.

And the stories behind the film make it all the more intriguing: FFC's breakdown, Sheen nearly dying, Brando turning up fat with a God-Complex, production delays and costs, country opposing production and wanting sets destroyed... The list goes on.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I don't like war movies but there are two which I actually did like when I watched them.

Good Morning Vietnam
Heartbreak Ridge

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Paths of Glory

While I like a lot of war films, I think most of them fail in making war seem like an atrocity. Band of Brothers and The Pacific are very well made, exciting, and so on, but they make war seem like an adventure.

Paths of Glory shows war as ultimately pointless, where soldiers are killed so bureaucrats can forward their own agendas.

Watch 'Come and See' if you haven't already.

Edit: I should of read ahead, I see a lot of you have. What a devestating movie.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Full metal jacket is not a good movie. It's a good half movie. After basic, the movie goes to complete shit.

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Yep, Thin Red Line then Apoc Now for me.

Does Inglorious Basterds count? It's behind these two for me.

The original book of The Thin Red Line is brilliant too, although not much like the film in tone.

Lots of good stuff in this thread - Full Metal Jacket, Strangelove, Paths of Glory, Glory, Last of the Mohicans. Platoon and Private Ryan are both solid.

Gotta see that Come and See movie sometime.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I would go with Full Metal Jacket. It's a really great exploration of the military because the two halves of the film are so distinct. Amazing contrast between austere discipline and the total chaotic hellscape of real war.

Apocalypse Now is a great choice as well. You could really make a case for either as the "ultimate" war movie.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Forreal. To hell with the plantation. The original cut is an excellent film tho

A man that enjoys more pointless meandering and political discussion. My only gripe is that the plantation scene does not transition well after they leave. They arrive with Lance all spaced out in space camo, only for him to remove it and mellow out to eat dinner, and then when they leave it cuts back to him in face camo spaced out. Still, I liked a lot of the added scenes and dialogue.

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
For the FMJ fans, there's a '57 boot camp movie called 'The D.I.' that is worth a watch IMO.

Haven't seen it in a long time but for a 50s movie it's a pretty solid drama, with a great performance by the DI. Like a somewhat less vulgar R Lee Ermey. It does have a sappy ending, though.

I remember thinking Kubrick and/or Ermey must have been influenced by it for the first half of Full Metal Jacket due to a bunch of stylistic similarities. Similar to the obvious style influence the Japanese Funeral Parade of Roses had on Clockwork Orange.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I can't list a favourite of all time.

So here we go:

Pre-WW2/Historical:
Paths of Glory
Waterloo
All Quiet on the Western Front
Lawrence of Arabia

WW2 British film industry
Dambusters
633 Squadron
A Bridge Too Far

WW2 Hollywood classic
The Longest Day
Cross of Iron

WW2 Hollywood modern
Saving Private Ryan
Thin Red Line
Fury
Dunkirk

Vietnam (in preference order)
Apocalypse Now
FMJ
Platoon
Hamburger Hill
Causualties of War

Non-English
Come and See
Das Boot

If I had to choose it'd be between Apocalypse Now and Come and See. AN is a lot more watchable though.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I allready mentioned I can't pick between Saving Private Ryan, Apocalypse Now and Paths of Glory, but my out of category nominee would be The Best Years of Our Lives by the way. The most beautiful movie ever made about coming home and picking your life back up after the war.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
The Band of Brothers is the best media hands down. If some of you haven't watch that yet, you better start now.

It's not a movie though so my top 3:
1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Hurt Locker
3. The Pianist

Oct 26, 2017
Bridge Over the River Kwai is another oldy, but goody. All the awards are worthy.

The Bridge on the River Kwai. Easily the best war movie of all time, hands down. Nothing even compares.

bridge on the river kwai

Bridge on the river Kwai

ERA knows what's up!

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I was pretty impressed that so many people mentioned Paths of Glory. ERA knows film.

I could be mistaken, but has anybody mentioned Hell's Angels? I suppose the point here is that most of us have not seen any film that dropped out of circulation before we were old enough to watch them. The saving grace is that videotape and later formats enabled a wider dissemination. So many people are able to watch films, again and again, that earlier generations would miss if they weren't there at the time.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess you are right, if I had to choose a full war movie it would be either Saving Private Ryan, or an incredible russian film called Come and See

OXAR9gDV9OQKkS_dJKOqf_UlUtqeHyjyUcm1p25a6e2YuLQWQy7echL3bkTsXG6YDWOaxFR9HRuBCYxsBMneSVI2ehcOCoqv6dVLz1FkxT_8ufHXZ6W5O0JY_q2iyTyI=w443-h332-nc
Come amd See is insane. Love it.

Dunkirk is beautifully done. It dives right in with a strong story, minimal dialogue and a color grade that makes me cream.