• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I was once like you "this game is meh and janky," but NO LONGER. The demo just teaches you jackshit. Literally after reading some of these gameplay tips and messing around myself it plays totally differently and dare I say good.

Game changer Tips:
-right dpad swaps between spell sets (fire and earth sets)

-each support spells has its own cool down and if you turn on "Auto Support Spell Switching" you'll be goddamn Harry Potter since it will automatically swap support spells on cool down while you hit L2

-holding square let's you grapple onto stuff like all the glowing rocks you saw but didn't know what to do with

They didn't explain this well tips:

-holding parkour while attacking let's you do cool moves

-the spells you swap with R1 only effect your hold R2 not your basic R2 attack

-after beating on enemies you can cast a limit break like spell with L2+R2

If your impression was "boy this game kinda sucks" I highly recommend going back with what I would say is the actual way to play the game. It has one of the cooler and more unique action combat systems in years.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
My issue with the game wasn't the teaching (I love figuring out stuff). It was more the huge delay I noticed between pressing on the camera analog, and the camera actually moving. It felt like everything had a built-in lag to it. I do want to play the game more, but that was the thing that I worried about right off the bat. Everything else seems super cool!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
7y6F.gif

Korosenai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My issue with the game wasn't the teaching (I love figuring out stuff). It was more the huge delay I noticed between pressing on the camera analog, and the camera actually moving. It felt like everything had a built-in lag to it. I do want to play the game more, but that was the thing that I worried about right off the bat. Everything else seems super cool!
this was my complaint too

OP
OP
sn00zer

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
There's definitely a mushiness to everything which is a huge bummer, but the actual systems are neat. It definitely needs that "oomph" on hits though.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
is there a dodge or do i just gotta keep running in circles like a dipshit

System2

Oct 27, 2017
California
The deadzone is adjustable iirc. That was my issue right away as well, but i was able to adjust it to my liking.

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I feel they threw people in at the deep end with not enough training. I still don't completely understand the battle system but these battle systems tend to be amazing, and have a lot of ramp up. I'm super stoked for the game (bad dialogue notwithstanding) and really want to get into it properly.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I'm fine with exploring games systems and all but I always feel like if someone else has to explain it to you then the game failed a major basic requirement

Titan6062

Jul 29, 2022
It definitely feels like a combat system where the initial stages where you have jack shit for moves is just awful, like starting out in DMC with nothing unlocked. Having a multitude of spells unlocked and optimizing switching between them as they're cooled down and the situation calls for it sounds enjoyable.
That being said, I still don't understand how player health works.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Circle with a directional input. Basically used when you see those big star like flashes during attacks. I will say it is way difficult to tell if your dodge was actually successful
see i thought it was sommit like that but i couldnt tell if i was dodging or just starting to parkour

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I learned about the grapple stuff 3 days after I 100% the demo lmao, probably the worst demo ever made at explaining stuff considering they gave us so many moves

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all in on this game and can fully agree that has to be one of the worst demos I've played from an impression stand point. You can't throw ppl on the deep end like that lol

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Not understanding the nuances of the combat was only one of several reasons why I didn't like it, but I appreciate the extra info OP.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i haven't tried the demo and haven't been following the game much but the vibes i get from OP are like sony sending reviewers a guide on how to play LAIR back when everyone panned the game for having shitty mandatory sixaxis controls

similar vibes to another old thread about RE6 a while back where it was something like "here's how to play RE6 bc capcom doesn't teach you shit"

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Play in performance mode. Input lag is huge in 30FPS modes - so much so that I'd argue those modes should not have been included in the demo.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Auto swapping support spells is a dumb solution to a dumb problem. It just leads to spamming them for no rhyme or reason, though to be fair the whole cooldown system is kind of built for that anyway.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
You can also change the spell selection slowdown which is nice. I've turned it to full pause because I found it extremely awkward keeping my position correctly in the slowdown, and full pause actually feels closer to FFVIIR style slowdown gameplay, but I think you can also just turn off the slowdown if you're good at action games and want that.

OP
OP
sn00zer

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Auto swapping support spells is a dumb solution to a dumb problem. It just leads to spamming them for no rhyme or reason, though to be fair the whole cooldown system is kind of built for that anyway.
If there was just a button to quickly cycle through them it would solve everything

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Basically, get familiar with the Settings' (ugly) menu first. There's a lot in there which is QOL.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
This thread has immediately renewed my hope for this game. I hate when a game not only throws you in the deep end immediately, but poorly explains how to actually deal with all this power you have. It's why I tend to have a tough time playing any new game plus mode if it's been a while since my original playthrough.

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
Thanks OP. I remember the Charge support spell had a much lower cooldown than the others in its group- do you know how this interacts with auto-swap? Does it go back to Charge every time that cooldown is up?

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Reposting what I said from the other thread, which kinda echoes what you said, OP:

So I finally finished the demo and I have a lot of thoughts, but the main ones I want to get across:

First and foremost: The demo does the game a MASSIVE disservice and essentially buries the lede by having crucial features entirely missable without the player searching for it. TONS of people who otherwise would really enjoy this game are probably going to write it off based solely on the demo.

Seriously, a lot of this missable stuff should have been in the tutorial to some degree, even a mention at the beginning.

Anyways, after completing it, this demo has 100% sold me on getting the game Day One. Once I figured out what I could do and how the systems worked, I had a blast with it.

But like I said, they really dropped the ball with the communication here. I'm sure you can find this info buried in the menus, but this really should've at least had a mention in the tutorials. For example, there's a grappling mechanic when you press square and it's actually really nice for moving around the battle areas and making the combat a lot more fun, especially against flying enemies. There's also the campfires, which I didn't even know about until after about 2 hours of exploration.

The game is also a lot deeper mechanically than I expected. Upgrading gear and kitting out your gear with different buffs and effects is really cool and is a lot more engaging to me than just finding gear wherever and comparing stats. Plus I really enjoy that there's the challenges that allow you to upgrade your abilities, which is entirely missable if you aren't on the lookout for it in this demo.

TL;DR: If you only played for a couple of minutes and then turned it off, I implore you to give it another shot. You may still hate it, or you might find that it's got a lot more to it than the tutorials would suggest.

TL;DR;DR: Play more than just a few minutes of the demo because it outright neglects to mention some of the best features, meaning you have to discover them for yourself or see someone else mention them.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
I'll give it another shot just to see if the gameplay feels better after knowing this. I still don't think this game looks remotely interesting tho.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I figured most of that out (outside of the quick spell type swap with the d-pad, was doing it the slow way). It's a solid demo if you try out stuff for a bit.

That being said, it convinced me that I did want to play the game, but it was safe to wait until the $20-30 zone. Which I was probably already doing anyway, I haven't payed $70 for a game yet and this wasn't gonna be the first.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I can guess that missing all these would have made for a worse experience.

I did know all this while I was playing around with the demo. Still left the demo wondering if I should get the game after thinking I am all in on it.

The Quentulated Mox

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 10, 2022
i thought the demo was super jank (in a way i was intimately familiar with, having played FFXV) and it turned me off of what was otherwise a surefire purchase.

and then i gave it another shot and, folks, it's fun. you gotta pick the settings that automate parkour, but golly, bouncing all over the place while hurling spells is pretty darn fun. i had to uninstall the demo just because i kept running around the demo area to fight and refight the Crocodile Swarm and i didn't want to burn myself out of the game before it actually comes out.

only real problems i had (after i dropped the Banter Slider to low) was that occasionally selecting spells from the wheels got finicky in the heat of battle, and also the graphics aren't exactly blowing my mind, and also the music is pretty bad. i think i'm back in for launch day, wanna try to keep luminous in business

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
So the RE6 special?

"Trust me, if you actually use all the cool gameplay mechanics, the game is great."

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Man, if publishers want to do demos, they should really, really just stick to the short trials from start of game that carry progress over. This demo has been very damaging to an already damaged game.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i definitely felt like there was a lot there and I wasn't getting it all. I definitely didn't write it off since I generally have a lot of patience and want to completely understand a game before I call it trash. I'm gonna really dig in over the weekend, because it definitely felt like something was there.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fine, not like I'm doing anything else atm, I'll give it another shot and see. I did really want to like this game, so we'll see

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I've been meaning to go back to the demo. I said this before, but playing the game reminded me of a sort of clunkier Control, which is one of my favourite games. I could definitely see myself enjoying Forspoken for what it is once I get the hang of the mechanics and controls

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Man I hope they listen to some of this feed back and adjust some default settings to help with first impressions in the inevitable day 1 patch.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't make the sluggish aiming any better and that's what killed it for me. Even when you adjust the sensitivity, it still feels terrible.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
I totally agree that the game just throws you in there with not much in regards to showing you what to do but after spending a few hours with the demo, it's a day 1 purchase for me.

Going to copy/paste a few things from the other thread for those that may not have seen/known:

Spellcraft
Each magic has the ability to be Enhanced via Spellcraft:

RqATr3.png

Spellcraft asks you to do a particular action with the specific magic you want to enhance. In the example above, if I wanted to enhance Blast Slice (which will give me more damage and +1 in Red Magic), I need to "Strike enemies from afar 15 times."

Have you been inside a small refuge house and come across a bookshelf you can interact with? That's where you can choose which Spellcrafts you want to go after. You need to have that particular magic skill unlocked in order to go for it. You can go after 3 challenges at a time.

Once you completed a challenge, open the Magic menu and go to that particular skill. Hold A on it and it will be enhanced.

Magic Parkour

When you're dashing fast and you see your character flash a bright red, press O at that moment to do a quick dash WITHOUT draining your Stamina. You actually regain 1 bar of stamina doing this. Check the clip below:

View: https://twitter.com/Hispanicguyyy/status/1602371279067267088?s=20&t=d_9G8hgkyF3KKnProbrQxQ

This can also be enhanced via the just talked about Spellcraft, so that you can instantly recover ALL stamina when timed correctly.

Other than pressing O to dash, another way to move quick (or at least look good doing so, lol) is using the X button. I believe the skill is called Shimmy in the menu. While running, press X to jump and then when your character touches the ground, press X again. You'll jump off the ground quicker. Keep timing your jumps and you'll look like this:

View: https://twitter.com/Hispanicguyyy/status/1602386984625897481?s=20&t=cVXqJVQcXrxD0MvuR2Oy6A

Inside a Refuge
When you're inside of a refuge, you can Craft materials and Upgrade your equipment.

Rsnq8A.jpeg

You can upgrade the following in your Cloak and Necklace:

Health, Defense, Purple Magic and Red Magic
*Some are locked until you have a skill

Not only that, but both pieces of gear can be equipped with 3 passive skills. For example:

Critical Hits can boost attack
Defense +5%
Enemies can be knocked to the ground more easily

Both pieces of gear can be equipped with the same passive skills so maybe they stack. I'm not sure.

You know the healing items you have? When you run out, this is where Crafting comes into play. You can craft more and also increase the size of your pouch to hold more stock. Also in Crafting, you can craft some mats using other mats.

Magic
If you go to the Magic menu, there are some skills you can "Convert Back to Mana."

Rsn9oq.jpeg

This means you can get a refund on the cost of a skill and choose a different skill instead. There are skills that cannot be refunded though.

I tend to prefer Sila's Magic (red magic). More fun to use, imo. So I refunded whatever I could in Frey's set and chose more of Sila's.

Nails
Other than your gear, Nails can give you more passive skills as well.

RsnBJM.jpeg

Your left and right hands can be equipped with a different set of nails, or you can choose the same ones. Each color gives a different effect. Spell damage might increase or improved critical hit rate, for example.
*You need specific materials to equip Nails

Archive
I highly suggest checking out the Tutorial section in the Archive as well as the control scheme. Definitely helps with figuring out what everything means. Also within the Archive, you can see every enemy you've fought and what materials they drop. Might not matter in the demo but in the full game, you might need to farm mats.

There are a few settings you can adjust that may help things:

Spell Switching Slowdown
When switching spells, do you want the game to slowdown while you're switching? Or maybe you want the game to fully pause while you switch so you have infinite time to decide?

You can change the amount of damage you receive.
You can change how quick you recover Stamina
Do you want healing items to be used automatically when at low health?
Automatic item gathering? (Should be "ON" for sure)
Magic Parkour Springing (TOGGLE is the better option)
Leap/Sour Controls (SEMI-AUTO is better)

There are other options but those would be personal preferences. So definitely mess around with things.

Other notes:
You can counter some attacks. A Triangle symbol quickly appears when you're able to do so and the window is small.
If you start a Magic Parkour run and then hold R2, you'll instantly reach the highest level for that specific attack you have equipped.
The Square button lets you use a "grappling hook" that, when used on enemies, can pull you to them. There is also a skill you can unlock that lets you use the rope to pull enemies towards you instead.
When you lock on to an enemy, look for the purple arrows that signify which enemy you're currently locked on to.
When looking at an enemy, you'll see a yellow circle that may have an arrow. If the arrow is pointing Up, that means it's weak against the Magic you currently have equipped. If the arrow points down, it's strong against it. If there's no arrow, then it's neutral and anything works.

Like I said at the start, it's a day 1 purchase for me. I'm not too impressed with the graphics. I'm big on photomode and I've been trying to take some good shots but nothing has really stuck out to me. Edit: there are specific places that don't look too bad but it made me realize the world needs just a liiiitle more color in these parts. Don't even get me started when trying to snap a picture of magic though, lol. Just doesn't look right. Performance wise, I've been playing on Performance mode with 120hz and I'm satisfied with it.

I can understand why people might be turned off by it but I also understand that it does take some learning to get accustomed to and possibly start enjoying the game. I kinda feel it has this mix of wanting to be fast paced but then when fighting a boss, you want to play a little bit slower, thinking of what magic you want to use and at what moment.

Last edited:

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played it right and it still didn't do it for me honestly. But yeah the demo was really bad about teaching you how to play.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I assume the full game will ease you into the mechanics better. This is kinda why I don't bother much with demos...I feel like I get a better impression with the full product. So I put the demo down fast, although that was partially also due to the distracting visuals.

That said, there seems to be a number of options that can make the game better, but are buried in the settings. Who knows how many people will miss those or if the full game will even call attention to that.

I do hope the game ends up reviewing well (if it doesn't review at least decently the game might bomb and I think this studio will be in trouble, although at least they also have that Sony moneyhat money as a buffer) and hopefully with the delays the day 1 product will have cleaned up some of its issues like the visuals.