• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol what is this, the RE6 defense? Likewise doesn't save a game with bad design.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I'm fine with exploring games systems and all but I always feel like if someone else has to explain it to you then the game failed a major basic requirement
Right, the game design naturally isn't very intuitive. I'm sure it plays better once you figure it out but off rip it just didn't feel good enough for me to care much. The game looks and feels like a 6-7/10 if I'm being generous which isn't horrible but it's not for me.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
i haven't tried the demo and haven't been following the game much but the vibes i get from OP are like sony sending reviewers a guide on how to play LAIR back when everyone panned the game for having shitty mandatory sixaxis controls

similar vibes to another old thread about RE6 a while back where it was something like "here's how to play RE6 bc capcom doesn't teach you shit"

Lol what is this, the RE6 defense? Likewise doesn't save a game with bad design.
I'd say there's a gulf between a demo just throwing you right into the game (which wasn't too uncommon in the past) versus the full game not actually doing any (or enough) tutorializing.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
7y6F.gif

This!

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
Add a poll for people you've convinced to give it a second shot? 1. It was better knowing this info I've given you ? 2. it still sucks?

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Performance mode is also a must for overall responsivity.

Its a very unique game with a somewhat shocking amount of depth.

Appreciate the incredible character design of MC as well.

Respecting SE for actually trying something new here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
My issue with the game wasn't the teaching (I love figuring out stuff). It was more the huge delay I noticed between pressing on the camera analog, and the camera actually moving. It felt like everything had a built-in lag to it. I do want to play the game more, but that was the thing that I worried about right off the bat. Everything else seems super cool!
Yeah, I figured some of the tips in the OP on my own and they definitely improved the experience, but as I pointed out in the demo thread, the movement weight doesn't feel right in this type of action game and detracted heavily (no pun intended) from my experience, so I hope they make Faye's movement snappier to control, if they do that I can see myself having a good time with Forspoken.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
The demo feels like when you unlock a new class in a MMO but at max level. You look at all the spells and mechanics and have no fucking idea what's going on. All you know is that you're playing it wrong.

Almost makes me feel like picking the game up despite the demo's thoroughly bad impressions, because I know it's definitely going to be a better experience gradually powering up.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I knew about and used everything said in the OP and still thought the game was pretty meh. Something about the way it controls just isn't fun.

And the world looked way better in the trailers than in the demo. I actually thought the game looked kinda ugly in the demo. It was as if the environments lacked proper color saturation.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Magic Parkour

When you're dashing fast and you see your character flash a bright red, press O at that moment to do a quick dash WITHOUT draining your Stamina. You actually regain 1 bar of stamina doing this. Check the clip below:

View: https://twitter.com/Hispanicguyyy/status/1602371279067267088?s=20&t=d_9G8hgkyF3KKnProbrQxQ

This can also be enhanced via the just talked about Spellcraft, so that you can instantly recover ALL stamina when timed correctly

I don't suppose there's a way to just turn off this mechanic and just use the magic parkour system to just... Run?

Personally, the boost feels really awkward at the moment.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't suppose there's a way to just turn off this mechanic and just use the magic parkour system to just... Run?

Personally, the boost feels really awkward at the moment.

The boost is a skill and probably there to gatekeeper how fast you can go/ideally to encourage people to unlock the skill to unlock some content that cannot be reached without it.

Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem with all those stuff that you posted earlier, except her verbal was unbelievably awful with "garbage talks" every time she opens her mouth and I was cringed hard.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The boost is a skill and probably there to gatekeeper how fast you can go/ideally to encourage people to unlock the skill to unlock some content that cannot be reached without it.

Sure, I just find it kind of intrusive and don't really like it. I haven't looked at the upgrades for it, but I get the impression that those won't let me just ignore the mechanic.

I presume most of the other content that "cannot be reached" will be done through other forms of travel entirely though.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
It's really not a good sign at all when the gameplay from a demo requires explanations via Twitter and forums to convince people that it's actually better than they experienced and you've still got others saying "yeah I did all that and eh".

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm all in on this game and can fully agree that has to be one of the worst demos I've played from an impression stand point. You can't throw ppl on the deep end like that lol
Definitely. It's always not easy to demo games that have many different systems and abilities.

They should have made another demo though. I suppose at the events they had this, there were always staff around to help or advise anyone who needed it.

The recent previews made it sound like Chap 2 of the game would have been a great entry point, probably less vast of an area but not overwhelming. It introduces Frey/the player to the world, and also has a boss fight at the end.

If there was just a button to quickly cycle through them it would solve everything

They should have had toggle R1/L1 to cycle through abilities, and hold + pause/slowdown to bring up the wheel.
I have no problem with all those stuff that you posted earlier, except her verbal was unbelievably awful with "garbage talks" every time she opens her mouth and I was cringed hard.

You can change the amount of banter you get.

I play at max and have no problems with whatever she's saying though🤷‍♂️

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Nah... Aside from the auto swap thing I knew all of those. 😛 The combat I found perfectly fine, and can be very cool and a lot of fun. My main problem with combat was enemy visibility. The setting to help make them more visible was kinda shit, but other than that, it was good.

The open world sucks. That's my biggest worry about the game and this small slice only helped justify my worry.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
I played it, and at first I had no idea what I was doing. I eventually managed to understand a little bit, but at that point, the graphics were fucking me over. WTF was it so bright? I turned down the brightness and everything, still so bright. That and there was nothing interesting going on in the world map. So I just quit and deleted the game. Played maybe 30 minutes.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I knew about that stuff too after poking around a lot and figuring stuff out.

I'm iffy on square being the tether. It feels awkward at times to use.

And I don't really like how your fire sword attacks magnetize towards the enemies. Kinda wish it wasn't like that.

But yeah once you figure this stuff out it's fun.

Zahn

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for the info, i was so lost when trying it out and was bumbling my way through it till I gave up.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, reading this thread and while I actually really enjoyed the game, I wasnt sure how to pull some stuff off and I was completely oblivious to others. I'll keep this in mind when I play the full game, hopefully its explained in more detail there, as it basically has a "hidden" layer of depth beyond just mashing and doing cool stuff unwittingly.

Yuexxx1

Banned
Jul 31, 2022
His big flaw is that he is very boring and he cannot change that.
As much as square buys opinions from websites and creates false opinions like this thread, it is a game that everyone will stop playing after several hours of boredom

Last edited:

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
You poor soul, people decided they hated the game before even downloading the demo. You won't change their minds with good infos on the game flow and battle systems.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
Those god damn awful fish eye menus were enough to put me off. I'll probably pick it up in a deep sale or something though.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
As much as square buys opinions from websites and creates false opinions like this thread, it is a game that everyone will stop playing after several hours of boredom

Wait are you insinuating that OP was paid to create this thread?

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Auto swapping support spells is a dumb solution to a dumb problem. It just leads to spamming them for no rhyme or reason, though to be fair the whole cooldown system is kind of built for that anyway.

This. I wouldn't even call it a bandaid solution when it's just swapping one issue for another. I'm not having the entire spell system which can do varying things like bind an enemy in place to make a ring of fire be set on auto swap.

Either you embrace auto swap and throw all strategy out the window by making it an L2 mash fest, or you spend waaaaaaaay too long breaking the pace opening menus to optimize the uptime on cooldowns. Neither option here is elegant or good, and the amount of spells is only going to go up in the game.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
So the RE6 special?

"Trust me, if you actually use all the cool gameplay mechanics, the game is great."
Nah. RE6 was a character-action-game squeezed into a corridor shooter....and that didn't work.
Forspoken's mix actually works pretty well.

Last edited:

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Ah yes, Square famously creates elaborate sock puppets on *checks notes* ...ResetEra?
It's almost, allllmost, like people have different tastes and can actually like things that others don't, and want to share with other people the ways that they found enjoyment in said thing that other people may not have encountered.

The game is fine, fun even, they've just don't a really awful job at marketing and selling it - the awfully designed/chosen demo slice being one of them. The combat is quite well done once you're in the intended flow, though there are plenty of rough edges to iron out. I have many reservations re: the open world as well as just general writing, but it's got a solid skeleton for a fun game, especially with some performance polish.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
the spell mechanics themselves are not the issue with this game, whether you understand the mechanics or not

the game's movement feels awful and floaty regardless of knowing how to use the spells from a mechanics pov, and the aiming feels even worse. doesn't fix how awful the rest of the game is either with how bad it looks, especially how lifeless and barren the overworld is, its menus, and terrible dialogue

executing the mechanics properly doesn't feel good. so don't really agree with this and kinda ignores what people dislike about the demo

Oct 26, 2017
Circle with a directional input. Basically used when you see those big star like flashes during attacks. I will say it is way difficult to tell if your dodge was actually successful
lol if I was gonna give one tip how to play this game, the actual dodge is to hold circle towards the enemys attack & shout PARKOUR. Do not press & release circle, dont listen to the game its stupid.

View: https://youtu.be/HPLy4AHtTD0

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Eh, I tried it two more times going in with this knowledge after it was shared in the initial demo thread and it didnt change my opinion at all. In fact I came away even less enthused having spent more time with it.

The tutorial is hilariously bad given the stuff it doesn't tell you, but even knowing it all I still didn't like the combat. You still have to switch spells constantly with R1 (why that wasn't the one using the D-pad switch shortcut I've no idea) and all the attacks still use just the R2 trigger. It also doesn't address how laggy everything feels, and how there is no hitstop in combat at all. None of the knowledge in the OP changes these issues and I still hated how it felt to play.

So the RE6 special?

"Trust me, if you actually use all the cool gameplay mechanics, the game is great."

Weirdly enough my experience with that game echoes this a lot.

Everytime someone makes a thread about that game with an OP loaded with gifs and a long description of why it's so amazing I always feel the urge to fire it up and give it a shot. And every time I regret it because no matter what I still end up hating it.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I liked the demo a lot but the issue I agree with on others is the floatiness, the very low gravity means you spend a lot of time waiting around for Frey to land to do her next thing. Even if you don't need to wait for her to land, cause the next thing you want to do is context sensitive w/r/t being in the air, there's still a lot of downtime

The thing with tap v hold, afaik if you want to do the super charged up attacks they seem to come off the hold down parkour button, rather than the quick dodge. Those are the moves you want to be landing, instant charged R2 moves by holding R2 at the end of certain actions. I suppose the quick dodge is better for setting up spells maybe

The main way to play this game is that, basically. Parkour and punish by holding R2. R2 spam and hold R2 at the end, if it's not safe to do so dash while holding R2 and then release. Do one of your spell cooldowns, follow up with R2 hold. The last one is where it start to feel like you're linking combos together and gets more interesting.

You can also instant charge off the L1/R1 + square or circle spell switch move (the one that is either a distance closer or retreat button).

Ultimately the combat is mostly fine, even in spite of the floaty gravity I think. I'd wait to reserve judgement for when we see what the enemy design is like in the full game cause nothing in the demo is really interactive in an interesting way. Even some of the more interesting enemies like the flying water mages aren't quite enough. I think tho that the combat is probably built less around 1v1 fights and more around huge swarms of enemies, LDK style, because the dodge parkour is very simplistic once you get it down but doing it in a crowd and following up with punishes and keeping some sort of flow going is where it starts to get a bit more interesting, especially as you get more used to quickly positioning the character for the larger scale AOEs and other crowd control options you have

I've been meaning to go back to the demo. I said this before, but playing the game reminded me of a sort of clunkier Control, which is one of my favourite games. I could definitely see myself enjoying Forspoken for what it is once I get the hang of the mechanics and controls

Yeah, it's basically this. Both games even had a summon shield that disintegrates into pellets

Either you embrace auto swap and throw all strategy out the window by making it an L2 mash fest, or you spend waaaaaaaay too long breaking the pace opening menus to optimize the uptime on cooldowns. Neither option here is elegant or good, and the amount of spells is only going to go up in the game.

The combat isn't really about optimising uptime on cooldowns, tho there is a lot of menu management. It's about using cooldowns to do other things like charged R2 (and said other things also reduce the cooldown time). Most of your damage appears to be from R2 (and surge, but that's a long cooldown). Keeping uptime on cooldowns would actually be terrible from a DPS perspective

I don't think this is a game where they want people to worry about overcapping on stuff, especially as there's going to be 4 schools of magic in the full game. At least not outside of a small selection of cooldowns which are applicable on a frequent basic like charge, which is a distance closer and you want to use often enough anyway

Last edited:

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Nioh had a great solution to the "10+ spells at your fingertips at any moment" problem. Everything is on the dpad and you get to build multiple pages however you like, as in any spell on any button and page or even the same spell on all pages if you always want it available etc. And you switch between those pages seamlessly without any extra menus.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Yeah it's an inexcusably bad demo. I too had a lot of fun with the demo once I took time to figure out the combat more and mess with settings (and read about settings changes on here). But users shouldn't have to do that in a demo that's meant to sell the game. If they don't have time to make a good demo with a good tutorial, just don't do a demo. It will do more harm than good as few are going to mess around with settings and learning on their own, nor trust the final game to be good if that's required to enjoy it.

I was very interested in it, but now it's a wait for it to be cheap or on PS+ Extra or something game. I had fun with it, but still looks rough, dialogue wasn't good etc. so it would take some pretty great reviews of the narrative to get this back to something I'm willing to spend more than $20 or so on.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I totally agree that the game just throws you in there with not much in regards to showing you what to do but after spending a few hours with the demo, it's a day 1 purchase for me.

Going to copy/paste a few things from the other thread for those that may not have seen/known:

Spellcraft
Each magic has the ability to be Enhanced via Spellcraft:

RqATr3.png

Spellcraft asks you to do a particular action with the specific magic you want to enhance. In the example above, if I wanted to enhance Blast Slice (which will give me more damage and +1 in Red Magic), I need to "Strike enemies from afar 15 times."

Have you been inside a small refuge house and come across a bookshelf you can interact with? That's where you can choose which Spellcrafts you want to go after. You need to have that particular magic skill unlocked in order to go for it. You can go after 3 challenges at a time.

Once you completed a challenge, open the Magic menu and go to that particular skill. Hold A on it and it will be enhanced.

Magic Parkour

When you're dashing fast and you see your character flash a bright red, press O at that moment to do a quick dash WITHOUT draining your Stamina. You actually regain 1 bar of stamina doing this. Check the clip below:

View: https://twitter.com/Hispanicguyyy/status/1602371279067267088?s=20&t=d_9G8hgkyF3KKnProbrQxQ

This can also be enhanced via the just talked about Spellcraft, so that you can instantly recover ALL stamina when timed correctly.

Other than pressing O to dash, another way to move quick (or at least look good doing so, lol) is using the X button. I believe the skill is called Shimmy in the menu. While running, press X to jump and then when your character touches the ground, press X again. You'll jump off the ground quicker. Keep timing your jumps and you'll look like this:

View: https://twitter.com/Hispanicguyyy/status/1602386984625897481?s=20&t=cVXqJVQcXrxD0MvuR2Oy6A

Inside a Refuge
When you're inside of a refuge, you can Craft materials and Upgrade your equipment.

Rsnq8A.jpeg

You can upgrade the following in your Cloak and Necklace:

Health, Defense, Purple Magic and Red Magic
*Some are locked until you have a skill

Not only that, but both pieces of gear can be equipped with 3 passive skills. For example:

Critical Hits can boost attack
Defense +5%
Enemies can be knocked to the ground more easily

Both pieces of gear can be equipped with the same passive skills so maybe they stack. I'm not sure.

You know the healing items you have? When you run out, this is where Crafting comes into play. You can craft more and also increase the size of your pouch to hold more stock. Also in Crafting, you can craft some mats using other mats.

Magic
If you go to the Magic menu, there are some skills you can "Convert Back to Mana."

Rsn9oq.jpeg

This means you can get a refund on the cost of a skill and choose a different skill instead. There are skills that cannot be refunded though.

I tend to prefer Sila's Magic (red magic). More fun to use, imo. So I refunded whatever I could in Frey's set and chose more of Sila's.

Nails
Other than your gear, Nails can give you more passive skills as well.

RsnBJM.jpeg

Your left and right hands can be equipped with a different set of nails, or you can choose the same ones. Each color gives a different effect. Spell damage might increase or improved critical hit rate, for example.
*You need specific materials to equip Nails

Archive
I highly suggest checking out the Tutorial section in the Archive as well as the control scheme. Definitely helps with figuring out what everything means. Also within the Archive, you can see every enemy you've fought and what materials they drop. Might not matter in the demo but in the full game, you might need to farm mats.

There are a few settings you can adjust that may help things:

Spell Switching Slowdown
When switching spells, do you want the game to slowdown while you're switching? Or maybe you want the game to fully pause while you switch so you have infinite time to decide?

You can change the amount of damage you receive.
You can change how quick you recover Stamina
Do you want healing items to be used automatically when at low health?
Automatic item gathering? (Should be "ON" for sure)
Magic Parkour Springing (TOGGLE is the better option)
Leap/Sour Controls (SEMI-AUTO is better)

There are other options but those would be personal preferences. So definitely mess around with things.

Other notes:
You can counter some attacks. A Triangle symbol quickly appears when you're able to do so and the window is small.
If you start a Magic Parkour run and then hold R2, you'll instantly reach the highest level for that specific attack you have equipped.
The Square button lets you use a "grappling hook" that, when used on enemies, can pull you to them. There is also a skill you can unlock that lets you use the rope to pull enemies towards you instead.
When you lock on to an enemy, look for the purple arrows that signify which enemy you're currently locked on to.
When looking at an enemy, you'll see a yellow circle that may have an arrow. If the arrow is pointing Up, that means it's weak against the Magic you currently have equipped. If the arrow points down, it's strong against it. If there's no arrow, then it's neutral and anything works.

Like I said at the start, it's a day 1 purchase for me. I'm not too impressed with the graphics. I'm big on photomode and I've been trying to take some good shots but nothing has really stuck out to me. Edit: there are specific places that don't look too bad but it made me realize the world needs just a liiiitle more color in these parts. Don't even get me started when trying to snap a picture of magic though, lol. Just doesn't look right. Performance wise, I've been playing on Performance mode with 120hz and I'm satisfied with it.

I can understand why people might be turned off by it but I also understand that it does take some learning to get accustomed to and possibly start enjoying the game. I kinda feel it has this mix of wanting to be fast paced but then when fighting a boss, you want to play a little bit slower, thinking of what magic you want to use and at what moment.

This post should be added to the eventual OT of the game when it releases...lol. Thanks.