Cathode Ray

Mar 30, 2024
NYC
There was definitely an uptick in positivity around MS when Game Pass first came around and when Phil's whole nice guy schtick was in full swing. I think it was around 2018-2021 if I had to give it a broad time frame (probably the Bethesda and then Activision acquisitions killed off a lot of the good will for most people).

Which again, was in line with the larger industry sentiment at the time, which was my original point.
Yea that was definitely true, Game Pass' heyday was the first time I cared about Xbox since the OG which is still one of my favorite consoles.

Feb 24, 2018
I personally find it in annoying how Pokemon are heavily referred to as he/him or like "he's such a cute little guy", and then a small amount of pokemon heavily referred to as she/her, even in both cases it doesn't even make sense. Like with genderless pokemon, or pokemon that are 50/50 gendered...or like calling Popplio she when it's a 90% male pokemon.
Related to this, it annoys me that most offical Pokémon art like the main Ken Sugimori artwork defaults to the male versions of the Pokemon unless they have very different gendered differences like with Meowstic. Their are a few exceptions to this like Bidoof or the costume Pikachus being mostly female, but for the most part if their just those minor differences, 9/10 they'll go with the lady.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
My hot take: this forum doesn't actually have a bias towards any specific platform or company, we just swing with whatever popular opinion is.

Nintendo on a hot streak during the Switch's early years? Era loves Nintendo.
PlayStation putting out bangers late in the PS4's cycle? Era loves Sony.
Game Pass is the hotness and "nice guy" Phil is everywhere? Era loves Microsoft.

This place doesn't have special or unique opinions; we're just parrotting how everyone else feels most of the time.
Simplifying it a bit much, but I think the reactionary/ what have you done for me lately responses are generally true. That said, smaller communities don't really change up.

But I don't think it's unfair to say different devs/pubs get different treatment, whether it's the benefit of the doubt, justifying a cash grab or explaining why a broken game isn't a big deal. We watch people straight up do free PR for some companies.

Also, Ubisoft in name is literally used as a perjorative for anything wrong with an open world games no matter who it's made by. Even when complimenting one of their games, it gets the added backhand of "this might be the first Ubisoft game I've enjoyed in years". I get criticizing their leadership and it's not like I'm saying they don't need to held accountable for the workplace harassment, but I feel like we don't do that and just go "lol Ubi Towers" over and over. It is inarguably the one pub you can say Era hates.

How can this even be tracked? I see Nintendo discussion on here all the time and Nintendo games constantly win Era polls

And yet when Nintendo doesn't win something or is criticized, someone brings out the old fashioned "sigh ... It's a shame the majority of Nintendo fans here left for famiboards" / "Era hates Nintendo".

The whiplash is frustrating because it feels like a rather manipulative go to, that I read weekly.

Last edited:

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
My issue isn't Era, or gaming more widely, loving a publisher or brand per se. It's that that love seems to have to go hand in hand with dismissal of things outside that sphere that by the logic held within the sphere (MC ratings, sales, general quality) are worthy of attention and praise. It's like that batshit insane Metro review of Hi Fi Rush - 'we enjoy it but Microsoft's portfolio is weak so can't rate it too highly' - writ large, to the point games get waved away/viewed more negatively, and vice versa for any game within the sphere.

It just feels like people don't actually like games so much as platforms and brands. As though the joy and pleasure people take from Z is nothing to that from Y because.

Because...

Because.....

Era is definitely better at not doing this than other places, but it still happens here.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
My issue isn't Era, or gaming more widely, loving a publisher or brand per se. It's that that love seems to have to go hand in hand with dismissal of things outside that sphere that by the logic held within the sphere (MC ratings, sales, general quality) are worthy of attention and praise. It's like that batshit insane Metro review of Hi Fi Rush - 'we enjoy it but Microsoft's portfolio is weak so can't rate it too highly' - writ large, to the point games get waved away/viewed more negatively, and vice versa for any game within the sphere.

It just feels like people don't actually like games so much as platforms and brands. As though the joy and pleasure people take from Z is nothing to that from Y because.

Because...

Because.....

Era is definitely better at not doing this than other places, but it still happens here.
I agree with the general sentiment you're saying about brand wars, but I maintain that most of the Internet misunderstood what that Metro review was saying with that Hi Fi Rush review. Calling something the best on that platform where there's little competition limits the accolade. That's literally all they meant. Nothing to do with scores.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like we're having much different experiences here.

I feel like I'm being reminded how successful Nintendo is above everyone else at all times I'm here, so I never understood this. Steam Deck successful, gets brought back to Nintendo. Company has layoffs, tsk tsk, should be more like Nintendo. Nintendo has an announcement, 5 threads.
while yea, the bolded is true, Nintendo does indeed get major praise here!

But it was so much bigger before nintendoera left, they were a massive community on this forum. The Direct speculation and General Nintendo discussion threads were absolutely massive, and had multiple threads for both topics after they reached the 20K post count.

The "Nintendo will announce the successor to Nintendo Switch this fiscal year/A Direct focusing on Switch 2024 software will air in June" thread has 560 posts. If most of the Nintendo community didn't leave for famiboards and elsewhere, I guarantee that thread would be significantly larger.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

But it was so much bigger before nintendoera left, they were a massive community on this forum. The Direct speculation and General Nintendo discussion threads were absolutely massive, and had multiple threads for both topics after they reached the 20K post count.

The "Nintendo will announce the successor to Nintendo Switch this fiscal year/A Direct focusing on Switch 2024 software will air in June" thread has 560 posts. If most of the Nintendo community didn't leave for famiboards and elsewhere, I guarantee that thread would be significantly larger.
I feel like a big part of it is that Era in general may not be as active anymore, but yeah, it can't be overstated how much crazier the direct threads used to be here

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like a big part of it is that Era in general may not be as active anymore, but yeah, it can't be overstated how much crazier the direct threads used to be here
that was another point I was going to add, it's definitely gotten less active over the years, esp with discord being bigger than ever, and all the social media sites, most forums are dead

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022

"That thing we do a lot used to be done even more" isn't making wonder about the old days. That just doesn't sound fun to me. I went into the specs thread, saw people getting mad at others for having to the gall to complain about 256 GB storage and just went "so that's what we're doing" and left.

I'm just learning to keep it to OTs if I want to talk about playing games. No brand communities. Or at least smaller ones that don't feel they have something to prove. Push for smaller games that I believe are getting overlooked.

For the main stuff -
Do I think Microsoft deserves a ton of flack this week, of course.
Do I find the industry is doomed / the games I love are going to disappear threads forever posts performative, of course.
Do I think reminding us for the umpteenth time how successful Nintendo is in the umpteenth layoff thread is gross, of course.

When I want to talk about Nintendo, I like to just keep it to smaller franchises because I legitimately enjoy talking about Metroid Dread and ARMS here. But afterwards I'd like to acknowledge the rest of the industry instead of insisting only one company knows how to make good games. I got my Hades, I got my Street Fighter, I got my Forza Horizon, I got my Steam World Heist, I got my Breath of the Wild, I got my Ratchet & Clank, every dev is excelling at a different genre, but it feels like we actively ignore that.

I don't want to always be criticizing these things, but people are just doing a lot right now.

"There is no point. There hasn't been a point since the 360 days.

Erase their current and previous console from history and nothing of value is lost."

Imagine finding a post like this to be excessive and then having to explain to half a dozen people you're not an Xbox fanboy or defending them.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
9rNaKkj.gif

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I agree with the general sentiment you're saying about brand wars, but I maintain that most of the Internet misunderstood what that Metro review was saying with that Hi Fi Rush review. Calling something the best on that platform where there's little competition limits the accolade. That's literally all they meant. Nothing to do with scores.

That's still myopic, though. A) there are other Good Games (as per MC scores and all that shit) on the platform, I'm constantly bemused by this wilful blindness (even as, yes, nothing is at the level of The Last of Us, but why is that the only marker that counts?!) and B) it shouldn't dictate how one feels about a game in and of itself. It's playing the narrative, not the ball, as it were.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
That's still myopic, though. A) there are other Good Games (as per MC scores and all that shit) on the platform, I'm constantly bemused by this wilful blindness (even as, yes, nothing is at the level of The Last of Us, but why is that the only marker that counts?!) and B) it shouldn't dictate how one feels about a game in and of itself. It's playing the narrative, not the ball, as it were.
It doesn't and didn't. The review lists their actual cons of the game in an entirely separate paragraph and again on their cons list.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
It doesn't and didn't. The review lists their actual cons of the game in an entirely separate paragraph and again on their cons list.

Good. But what I am saying is the following is foolish: placing a thing in context diminishes what you can say about it, when said context is NOT bound by platform, but by all the games available.

If your aim was to write 'why you shouldn't get an Xbox' it makes more sense. If your aim is 'how good is this game?', it's fundamentally immaterial what other games a platform has, let alone dismissive of other games that are, shocker, actually quite good.

Oct 25, 2017
While reading a few of my RSS feeds I came across an IGN article about online games and preservation.

It veered into Valve/Australia consumer law but I think it was factually incorrect with dates and events.

I don't necessarily have a beef with Valve but Valve do seem to have a beef with me and that's why they won't sell the Deck in my country.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm back with more animal analogies.

Theres's killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

That is to say, rendering the key component of something so beyond saving, but knowing that risk was there when the action was taken.

A gamble, etc.

But then there's literally killing the sacred cow. Ending the something and allowing the new something to take its place.

Is that also a gamble? Or is it a sign of apprehension, lack of confidence - fear - that we then have to call out?

I think we should be more weary of which is which, there's stagnation yes, but there's also certainty.

Some games or series have/need/require the latter rather than fearing the former.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Maybe it's worth it's own topic, but something that kills critical conversation for me is when pushback on execution of something with is met with just naming the creator as a catch all.

So like if I don't like something about a Tarantino movie, it's met with "well, it's a Tarantino movie, what do you expect". You're ceasing to make an argument and just using a famous name as an I win card or just giving the general assumption that the creators way is right because they're that creator.

"Well, they've always done that." And what if I thought it was bad in every single instance?

I can get using that argument to provide a fuller context to something, but it's rarely done for that.

How is that not just fanboy shit selectively applied to a great few?

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing The Surge 2 and I honestly think it has the best combat in the Soulslike sub-genre.

Edit: Other than maybe Sekiro.

Last edited:

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
as a guy who promotes dubbing, I saw this tweet which made me so angry since I couldn't disagree

View: https://twitter.com/Elf_Chaser/status/1788938023087845826

You really notice it playing the dubs of newer like yakuza games and seeing the disparity between voice actors and guys who are still doing their "reading semi-popular Tumblr comics" voice

I'm not saying all youtubers sound like this since some great dub actors started off as youtubers or voicing stuff in web original stuff but when you notice the bad voices, you can't stop

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Maybe it's worth it's own topic, but something that kills critical conversation for me is when pushback on execution of something with is met with just naming the creator as a catch all.

So like if I don't like something about a Tarantino movie, it's met with "well, it's a Tarantino movie, what do you expect". You're ceasing to make an argument and just using a famous name as an I win card or just giving the general assumption that the creators way is right because they're that creator.

"Well, they've always done that." And what if I thought it was bad in every single instance?

I can get using that argument to provide a fuller context to something, but it's rarely done for that.

How is that not just fanboy shit selectively applied to a great few?

I think its said more as an implication of, well if you don't like the way that creator does that thing, why are you engaging with the work in the first place? Like if someone complains about a Naughty Dog game because its a narrative third person shooter and they don't like those, it would come across as a bit silly. So the natural response is "well what did you expect? Its a Naughty Dog game"

I'm not necessarily saying its a great response, but its better than just giving them a pass because they're a famous name.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
I think its said more as an implication of, well if you don't like the way that creator does that thing, why are you engaging with the work in the first place? Like if someone complains about a Naughty Dog game because its a narrative third person shooter and they don't like those, it would come across as a bit silly. So the natural response is "well what did you expect? Its a Naughty Dog game"

I'm not necessarily saying its a great response, but its better than just giving them a pass because they're a famous name.
But this assumes the criticism is something inherently silly like not liking the game because it's a third person shooter with narrative emphasis.

As opposed to, this story doesn't work because... and the response being "it's a Naughty Dog game, they've always done it like that".

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
What is the point of bringing up hypothetical chuds everytime a game puts minorities in the forefront?

Are you trying to kill vibe? What is that contributing to the conversation? Can we just enjoy the progress?

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
What is the point of bringing up hypothetical chuds everytime a game puts minorities in the forefront?

Are you trying to kill vibe? What is that contributing to the conversation? Can we just enjoy the progress?

Probably worth having a read of the replies to this tweet from Tuesday, before assuming the chuds are all hypothetical (note this was before the trailer even dropped).

View: https://x.com/dexerto/status/1790498838089789891?s=46&t=Iogy5pTLq4mxZVTMDwcPTw

I'm not arguing the value of paying any attention to the racists. Just pointing out that they are very real, not hypothetical.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Probably worth having a read of the replies to this tweet from Tuesday, before assuming the chuds are all hypothetical (note this was before the trailer even dropped).

View: https://x.com/dexerto/status/1790498838089789891?s=46&t=Iogy5pTLq4mxZVTMDwcPTw

I'm not arguing the value of paying any attention to the racists. Just pointing out that they are very real, not hypothetical.

Hypothetical isn't said to say they're made up. It's just bringing them up at all preemptively each time just does nothing. Hypothesis proven.

"The chuds are gonna be pissed about this one" in a space where we supposedly don't have any sort of defeats the purpose.

I rather just enjoy something than be needlessly reminded racists are going to be mad. Who is that for?

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada

This can't be stated enough. I feel sometimes like it kills the point of having a more progressive space/forum when 'the chuds!!' are brought into every innocent discussion immediately and it sours the mood and what should have been a convo untainted by the bad faith bullshit some come here to avoid. Half the time it feels like the person in question just wants to gleefully grandstand out of nowhere about how much better they are than the hypothetical person, and some other times I swear it's used as a bludgeon of implied association with said 'the chuds' if one is validly critical of something that's getting shittier criticism elsewhere.

I feel like it has a time and a place - namely when the topic is actually about people being shitty about minorities in video games and so on and so forth, when it's actually happening and that's the topic at hand. And also I'm just plain tired of the word chud, it's overused to death and I groan every time I see it, it's invoked so much and so often unprovoked it feels like a mindless buzzword by now in place of anything insightful to say about bigots and bigotry.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
I've been wanting to say this but didn't know how to put it. It's like some people get a weird satisfaction from being right.
I've always put it as people who are into progressive values less for the progress and less for genuine social justice, and more for having a socially acceptable group to shit upon and feel superior to. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Aug 31, 2019
It's also worth remembering, at all times this year, that it is an election year for ~50% of the global population, and that culture war nonsense is at the forefront of most politics right now. It is not surprising that there is more chuddatude all of a sudden, and that seemingly minor things are massively boosted into your eyes and brain. There is more than a little astroturf spread amongst the grass.

Oct 25, 2017
Did I blink and miss it or did nobody want to litigate that topic about voice chat being the absolute worst thing to happen to video games.

EDIT: aha I did blink! I do hope it creates more of a wider discussion elsewhere, in what shape or form I do not know.

Last edited:

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Did we really go from "Series S is holding the generation back" to "well actually, games don't need to be that graphically intense" like no one would notice?

Nov 23, 2023
There are no Metroidvanias being made. They're all Metroid-likes. The only game close is Bloodstained. This is why I tend to dislike most so-called Metroidvanias. I want more SOTN and less Metroid. I want it to be more rpgish as far as finding gear to equip and spells and abilities to unlock.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
There are no Metroidvanias being made. They're all Metroid-likes. The only game close is Bloodstained. This is why I tend to dislike most so-called Metroidvanias. I want more SOTN and less Metroid. I want it to be more rpgish as far as finding gear to equip and spells and abilities to unlock.
I find this to be the exact opposite of what we're seeing tbh. Almost everything that comes out has more SOTN than pure Metroid.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I find this to be the exact opposite of what we're seeing tbh. Almost everything that comes out has more SOTN than pure Metroid.
I think they mostly are talking about how most metroidvanias nowadays (whether more metroid or castlevania) stick with one main weapon that gets upgraded. the best part of igavanis was finding the coolest weapon ever in an out-of-the-way area

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
as a guy who promotes dubbing, I saw this tweet which made me so angry since I couldn't disagree

View: https://twitter.com/Elf_Chaser/status/1788938023087845826

You really notice it playing the dubs of newer like yakuza games and seeing the disparity between voice actors and guys who are still doing their "reading semi-popular Tumblr comics" voice

I'm not saying all youtubers sound like this since some great dub actors started off as youtubers or voicing stuff in web original stuff but when you notice the bad voices, you can't stop

I don't really disagree but older dubs were also a mixed bag to put it lightly. It's a general problem with the dubbing industry where "good enough" is often the mantra. So I don't think the average quality of dubs has actually shifted much.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I've stopped coming to gaming side as often these days because it seems like the modern gaming sphere is mostly sales figures, leaks, rumors, unbridled speculation, and just an air of oddly-placed aggression. Discussions seem to have veered to a place that's even more cynical and corporate and aggressive than it was several years ago.

Or maybe it's more that I don't really connect with the current community zeitgeist and I'm better off isolating myself like I have been. After decades of being knee-deep in the bogs of gaming communities across the internet it feels like I finally climbed out of the muck, and yet I yearn to dive back in even though I know I'll drown.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
No one wants to hear it, but I believe what "killed" the Final Fantasy IP was FFXIII. The game was hyped as the next big thing and then it came out to mediocre/disappointing reception, "dated" design at a time where RPGs were all the rage AND then they made two more. Then there was Versus which was in development hell for a whole gen and when that eventually came out it was disappointing as well (at least given the insane hype).

I think what's simply happened was that those who enjoyed the IP but weren't hardcore fans just moved on to the other RPGs in the space, mainly WRPGs tbh, which weren't really a thing on consoles in the PS1 and PS2 era. For the IP to make a come back, they'd need a Witcher 3 or BOTW moment and not just a well received game.

Nov 4, 2022
If you're playing 5/10/15 hours of games a day, that's not good. Is that controversial? I hope not.

I was only hitting those numbers while deeply depressed, and part of climbing out of it was learning to limit gaming as a soothing behaviour. Anyone who can treat that level of commitment in a healthy way, that's great, but I'm sure I'm not the only one with a history of pathological usage.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
I've stopped coming to gaming side as often these days because it seems like the modern gaming sphere is mostly sales figures, leaks, rumors, unbridled speculation, and just an air of oddly-placed aggression. Discussions seem to have veered to a place that's even more cynical and corporate and aggressive than it was several years ago.

Or maybe it's more that I don't really connect with the current community zeitgeist and I'm better off isolating myself like I have been. After decades of being knee-deep in the bogs of gaming communities across the internet it feels like I finally climbed out of the muck, and yet I yearn to dive back in even though I know I'll drown.
Honestly, I just get tired of video game outrage. Seems that's what gaming side and Reddit is every week.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019

I think you are generally going to find actual discussion about games deep in the specific OT's or in just specific community sites. General Gaming discussion tends to veer towards really "boring" topics that can be easily understood, yelled about and then forgotten.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
If you're playing 5/10/15 hours of games a day, that's not good. Is that controversial? I hope not.

5 hours seems pretty reasonable to me.

10 isn't to bad is too bad; I use to do that as a kid especially during summer/Winter/Spring break.

15 does seems a tad excessive; I think gaming more than half the day is a little concerning(though I've also done this every now and then 😅)

Last edited:

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to phrase it, but it's like I want to talk with people who actually like video games in general as opposed to people solely interested in putting over their favorite IP or company as the top dog be it in sales, Metacritic, concurrent players and so on.

I had my fun with Hades II, gonna relax on that. Waiting on the Street Fighter VI and Forza Horizon 5 updates, let's see what's being discussed in the meantime ... why does everything read like a PC / Switch 2 ad?

Oct 25, 2017
We're literally concerned to the point of potentially trolling that almost all of Nintendo's most recognised quality jewels in its crown are being mis-handled, what with Fortnite collabs and live action films

By Nintendo itself.

Any other alternative is apparently better than what decision has actually been made.

It all boils down to the oldest chestnut of all, it (the company) should simply be a content farm and "go thirst party".

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing Jedi Survivor on Story Mode.

I'm having a lot of fun.

GInger Jedi Power Fantasy is good. I want to feel like an overpowereemd space wizard.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Did we really go from "Series S is holding the generation back" to "well actually, games don't need to be that graphically intense" like no one would notice?

These likely aren't the same people saying those two things!

Sorry to hop on like this, but I see this a lot on here. "Era says this but then they say the opposite! What hypocrites!" As if Era is some kind of monolithic hivemind rather than a bunch of gamers talking over each other.