Oct 25, 2017
canada
Far better? No. Comparable in many cases? Perhaps.

Honestly, because major tv and movies are more risk averse I feel they dont cater to various interesting characters

Like 9S is an incredible character, others like Majima from Yakuza or even Hanzo from Nioh were good characters

But those are also the kind of games i gravitate towards and are not representative of the whole

Gonzalo

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a Japanese game supremacist.

I think the Japanese make better games, and that covers everything from gameplay to design to story. I trust the Japanese more with my purchases and if I was wealthy enough to be my own publisher I would hire exclusively Japanese people to make my dream titles/concepts. For me the rest of the world's devs pale in comparison.

kappa_krey

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Since when does being a Switch or a Nintendo fan mean you are on a Fanboy Defense Force?!

When you make that sort of jump at the slightest provocation (i.e. a surge of positivity towards Nintendo), chances are you, not they, are the problem.

There's nothing wrong with being a gamer to whom the Switch or Nintendo in general cater well or even the best. There is nothing wrong with talking about the Switch and being excited about it.

Some people tend to go too far w/ their enthusiasm, tho. That's something you can't deny. And I don't just mean here; on the internet in general. I like the Switch and am looking forward to buying one in the near future, but sometimes I see people hardcore defending quite questionable decisions (such as lack of serious online or Virtual Console support, Joycon controller prices, many re-releases of Wii U games being considered a good thing when some of the same people criticized PS4 and XBO for doing the same thing a while back etc.) that just causes irritation and befuddlement.

So uh yeah, guess that's one of my "controversial" opinions or whatever. A few others:

-Arcade-style games never fell off in popularity post-Dreamcast. The reality is that home ports lacking enough extra content became less en vogue. Games like Tekken 5, VF4: Evo, DMC 1-3 etc. are very arcade-like or in genres that originated in arcades, and all sold very well, but they also had enough home content to sell to people.

-There was no fighting game "Dark Age". Only Capcom fanboys say that. Between CvS2 and SFIV, we had Tekken 4, Tekken 5, KOFXI and XII, the Maximum Impact games, VF4, VF4:Evo, VF5, DOA: Ultimate, GGXX: Accent Core, Rumble:Fish, MK: Deadly Alliance, MK: Deception, DBZ Boudokai series, and more. A few of those sold very well, in fact Tekken 5 + DR (all platforms) sold more than all the SFIV versions (all platforms) put together. Others like MK: DA did around 3 million, and VF4/VF4:Evo 2+ million (NA numbers only).

So there was never a "Dark Age" for fighting games...unless you only played SF or Marvel ;)

Oct 25, 2017

I think the Japanese make better games, and that covers everything from gameplay to design to story. I trust the Japanese more with my purchases and if I was wealthy enough to be my own publisher I would hire exclusively Japanese people to make my dream titles/concepts. For me the rest of the world's devs pale in comparison.

I pretty much feel the opposite way.

The best Japanese game devs, with two exceptions, don't hold a patch in terms of world-building or gameplay to an above-average Western dev. I think that the best examples of this are in the traditional RPG and strategy genres. Take the twenty best JRPGs in existence, turn-based, ARPG, whatever, and none of them are as good as a slightly-above average CRPG from a Western dev in the '90s.

The two exceptions are '90s/early '00s Sega (particularly Sonic Team led by Yuji Naka, AM2, and Smile.Bit/Team Andromeda) and '80s/'90s Nintendo.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, this is me too.

Particularly in game soundtracks, the Japanese AAA soundtracks are just miles better than Western AAA. Gameplay as well. Japanese games just feel so much better to control and actually play.

Wiggles

Oct 28, 2017
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is not a good game.

I played 4 hours of it recently on PC before giving up completely. Now don't get me wrong, the amount of effort that has been put into the Star Wars lore and much of the written dialogue is decent enough. I also liked that there are small touches, like an abundance of metal swords, showing you that it's set an even longer time ago than the movies. However, there are several flaws. First, a lot of the voice acting really rubbed me the wrong way. I played a woman character and my male sidekick (who I assume would be female if you picked the male protagonist because Bioware) had an incredibly cornball voice. I also disliked how he suddenly turned from a nice guy™ to a massive asshole just because I picked a harsher dialogue choice one time, but perhaps that's almost a reflection on real life. Alien dialogue is a particular sore spot, lasting two times longer than the length of the English sentence ought to. That wookie character is the worst, almost reminds me of some guy talking into one of those voice changers you buy for kids.

The aspect in which the game has aged most poorly however is its very simplistic combat system. Unless i'm playing it wrong, you literally click on enemies a few times to kill them while keeping an eye on your own health. KotOR's brand of turn-based combat is like the anti-Final Fantasy XII, feeling like you've regressed back to the NES days. It will probably expand later on, but it didn't hook me enough to want to invest any more time into it. The game is also not a looker. Many titles which released around the same time period - and much older - have aged more gracefully than KotOR. I should also note that the game is the trickiest i've ever set up for modern PC resolutions.

I look puzzled at the 90+ Metacritic and adoration from pretty much everyone that speaks this game's name. Maybe in 2003 you just had to be there. Maybe Star Wars games are just that bad that this is held up as the pinnacle. Who knows.

Accel NEO

Oct 26, 2017
As a fan of the Souls game and From Software
I think bloodborne is bad, really bad and the game's difficulty is shit and unfair and unbalanced
I think it's just the lore and the world what makes it a little acceptable for me

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
motion controls are fantastic. i'd play every console shooter with a wiimote ripoff if given the chance. splatoon's gyro aiming supplement is still better than dual analog alone, though. I also enjoyed wii motion plus silliness, use tilt steering in mario kart to this day, and didn't mind dumb waggle in wii games that didn't use controls substantially.

the following two opinions are probably controversial in the total population of everyone who plays video games yet comparatively less so on era:

mobile games feel more like an extension of being addicted to the internet than an actual entertainment experience worth spending time playing on purpose.

mobas aren't interesting.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If breath of the wild was from EA or Ubi and it was the exact game I doubt it even gets that high of a score let alone goty.
I'll defend BotW til the end of time over this. One of tge biggest complaint at the other place upon its release was it was not a good Zelda game and/or noy Zelda enough. The praise came from all the inyricate systems. Systems that if created by another company would be praised like the second coming of Jesus.

BotW succeeds on yhe merits of the sysyems combined within the game not that it was a Zelda game.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll defend BotW til the end of time over this. One of tge biggest complaint at the other place upon its release was it was not a good Zelda game and/or noy Zelda enough. The praise came from all the inyricate systems. Systems that if created by another company would be praised like the second coming of Jesus.

BotW succeeds on yhe merits of the sysyems combined within the game not that it was a Zelda game.
Note I enjoy BOTW, I really like it.

Outside of the great sandbox nature of letting you pretty much do whatever its literally everything wrong with going open world (when its not done well like Witcher3, AC Origins etc). Its extremely empty, has hundreds of collectables and the story is incredibly shallow.
I spent more time making my own fun and doing the dungeons than I did doing anything related to the story. We have seen those same issues pop up before in open world games. Again I liked my time with BOTW I really did, from the moment I started to the moment I killed ganon but man after that you realize how empty and lifeless the world is, in no way do I think the game is even in the realm of 10/10, I think 85-90 is completely fair tho.

Oct 26, 2017

Outside of the great sandbox nature of letting you pretty much do whatever its literally everything wrong with going open world (when its not done well like Witcher3, AC Origins etc). Its extremely empty, has hundreds of collectables and the story is incredibly shallow.
I spent more time making my own fun and doing the dungeons than I did doing anything related to the story. We have seen those same issues pop up before in open world games. Again I liked my time with BOTW I really did, from the moment I started to the moment I killed ganon but man after that you realize how empty and lifeless the world is, in no way do I think the game is even in the realm of 10/10, I think 85-90 is completely fair tho.
But that's your personal opinion, that doesn't mean the game is overrated or got free points because it's Zelda or made by Nintendo. For me, it was easily my favorite game this entire generation and better than nearly everything I played last generation. I personally hated my time with Bloodborne and couldn't get into The Witcher 3 at all but I don't for a second consider those games overrated just because I don't like them. All that means is that I didn't like them as much as everyone else

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But that's your personal opinion, that doesn't mean the game is overrated or got free points because it's Zelda or made by Nintendo. For me, it was easily my favorite game this entire generation and better than nearly everything I played last generation. I personally hated my time with Bloodborne and couldn't get into The Witcher 3 at all but I don't for a second consider those games overrated just because I don't like them. All that means is that I didn't like them as much as everyone else
This thread is about opinions
tenor.gif

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That was kind of the point of BotW. To make you own adventure and explore. Similar to the original. I didn't like W3, got bored with ACO, the only AC game I could stand was 3. My point still stands, the game was not given good scores and rave reviews based on its heritage, rather the combination of systems, sense of adventure and discovery, and multiple ways of doing the same thing.

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite Serious Sam game is 2. It still has the large setpiece battles, while innovating with vehicle combat and I actually liked it's flat out retarded humor that is present in every bit of that game.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I like AAA , open world , story driven, cinematic games .Please make more of them.

Deleted member 11986

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I loved Xenoblade 2 and so far it excelled my expectations on it. And I've played every Xenoblade made so far. No major complaints about resolution while playing it in portable mode.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico

Im with you. I keep hearing talk about how Japanese games are now "back" and prominent, but in my opinion Japanese games never left. They were and still are, on average, better than most western developed games. The best fighting game, shump, racing game, puzzle game, 2/3D platformer, metroidvania, and open world game are all Japanese.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait

Same here.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

You're not alone. Especially when it comes to general artstyles.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Kick Off 2 is more interesting to play and watch than Pro Evolution Soccer and FIFA. Those 2 games ruined the sports genre, their control style creeping to other sports titles, even leading to abominations like Top Spin.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love retro shooters, but I have no idea why Serious Sam is as popular as it is. I have it on Steam so I'll probably boot it up after posting this, but even back in like 2004/2005 when I played it on console it felt like bargain bin trash to me. I also feel like the franchise has next to zero identity, and feels like a poor man's Duke Nukem, which is like being a poor man's version of Charlie Sheen.

The original Shadow Warrior is artificially too difficult and not a lot of fun to play.

There have been Gundam games that have been good, but there hasn't been a single good Gundam game, in that I never feel like I'm actually piloting a mobile suit. Replace the mobile suits with random character models and I would never have guessed it was a Gundam game.

From a level design perspective, Doom .wads consistently outpace the actual quality of levels in both Doom I and II, but more specifically II.

Halo: Combat Evolved does not get enough recognition as an innovator in the genre, which, sounds insane, but I really think this. I think it's as influential as the original Doom was.

If Nintendo ever does make a new F-Zero, I have no faith that they won't fuck it up like Star Fox.

Samus Return's visual style is really blegh, and makes me anxiously worried about Metroid Prime 4. Metroid to me is dark, geiger-esque, gothic sci-fi horror-lite, and so should be MP4.

Killer Instinct 2013 is the best fighting game this generation.

Uncharted 1 is the best Uncharted, and I like 3 more than 2. I don't think about 4.

The next fad that 343i needs to chase for Halo 6 is the "Back-to-basics" fad shown in both Doom 2016 and CoD WWII. Halo 5 was good, but an obvious attempt to cash in on the genre-wide Titanfall hype that really only affected CoD.

Halo is in better hands at 343i than at Bungie.

I like Mass Effect Andromeda, and I think most people that hate it are hyperbolic internet band-wagoners that didn't even touch the game but thought "Lol funny facez this game must suck" though I may have already posted that.

Most Crowbcat videos are atrocious, misleading, or lazy. Talk about retreading old ground for the sake of views in that inferior Konami presser video.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo games are totally given an extra point (10 if the scale is 100) in reviews.

If breath of the wild was from EA or Ubi and it was the exact game I doubt it even gets that high of a score let alone goty.
I don't think it's the case with every Nintendo game but I agree that it happens. I think Skyward Sword being at a 93 on metacritic is a better example than BOTW. It's a hard thing to talk about without being labeled a fanboy, though, as it's extremely difficult to quantify. I love Nintendo but I do sometimes think reviewers would have been harsher to other companies for things like Splatoon's minimal day one content or Kid Icarus Uprising's controls.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
The next fad that 343i needs to chase for Halo 6 is the "Back-to-basics" fad shown in both Doom 2016 and CoD WWII. Halo 5 was good, but an obvious attempt to cash in on the genre-wide Titanfall hype that really only affected CoD.

Halo is in better hands at 343i than at Bungie.

I agree with the statement that Halo is in better hands with 343i. But what do you mean Halo cashing in on the Titanfall hype?

Oct 25, 2017
Practically every game I've ever played has had some level of "this is total, utter bullshit!" in it. Sometimes it's a particular level that is unexplained and terrible. Sometimes it's entire game mechanics. Sometimes it's an unbalanced and confusing puzzle. Sometimes the game simply isn't telegraphing what I should do next.

Typically I end up raging at the game for a while before I either give up and move on, or figure it out through sheer force of will. But at the end of the day, it's rare I get to play a game where there isn't something in there where I scream to myself internally, "WHO THE EVERLIVING FUCK THOUGHT THIS WAS FUN????!!!" for five minutes. This even includes games that I consider some of my favorites.

Other controversial opinions:

Being excited about a gaming platform is insanity to me. Pure and utter insanity. When I'm playing a game, I completely forget what platform I'm playing it on. It's irrelevant to the actual experience of playing games. The one exception to this is having to pay to play online, which is total bollocks and I don't pay for those services anymore.

Platform exclusives annoy me more than they excite me, because it usually means I won't be playing that game for a long while. Usually many years after I initially intended to play it, or possibly never. This even goes for exclusives on platforms I already own, because they also tend to stay more expensive over time.

I hate good and bad ending systems. They've never felt organic to me, and feel more like having to purchase the strategy guide so you can do a specific dance to get the actual proper canon ending to a game instead of two seconds of shitty CGI.

I prefer indie games with the scope of, say, an ambitious or well crafted 3DS game. They tend to me mechanically solid (devoid of that bullshit as mentioned above), reasonably priced at launch ($20 or less), and include a solid, full package. AAA games in the past few years have just made them seem like smarter and smarter purchases.

Tarextherex

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
A lot of the opinions you would usually find from nerds/people on the internet are reductive, uneducated, bellitling nonsense that fail to view games holistically. All they want is a way to go full "ACHCHUALLY" on people so they can get a sense of accomplishment, also validation from the other weirdos that agree. Such opinions shouldn't be irrelevant to a developer's creative process.

I'm not talking about fan feedback that reports actual usability problems, I'm talking about people that treat their bad opinions as "objective" or consensus. Like, some people out there say that Metroid Prime sucks and would be fine with constant rehashing of the first one/Super. Why should anyone listen to such people, this isn't constructive in any way

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the statement that Halo is in better hands with 343i. But what do you mean Halo cashing in on the Titanfall hype?

Halo 5's movement feels fun, but more like a reaction to other shooter's movement systems, namely Titanfall, than it does a natural evolution of Halo. (Though it takes inspiration from others like CoD and Destiny as well.)

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.

It's kind of cringey to refer to Japanese people as "the Japanese".

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Souls like games are boring and I feel they don't "respect" my time.

I can't take Nintendo serious with games like Mario Tennis, even though I like Mario. I see it as slapping the Mario name on it, sell like shit and call it a day.

I'm getting tired of the old cinematic formula on PS4 games. Everything has to be cinematic, everything has to be so serious. And I used to LOVE it.

Dreams looks like shit.

Horizon combat is one of the worst and boring I've ever played. Every encounter was a slog so I eventually gave up on fighting, toned down the difficulty (first time I've ever done something like this) and raced to the end.

Maybe all of this is because I'm getting tired of gaming as a whole. But those are the ones that I remember now.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I know this will sound extremely petty (and will seem familiar for those who know me from the old site and here), but my excitement of a game extensively dwindles when its character creator gets hyped up by the devs and press for having "infinite options" yet there's no options for dreadlocks, let alone any options of afro-centric textures. You can design a world featuring dragons standing 50-70 ft tall and somehow breathes both fire and ice, but having a humanoid character with dreads is not believable for the world or achievable to design?

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think nintendo needs to let us change links gender if wed like to. His gender as far as i remember had no bearing on breath of the wild as he and Zelda seemed to have had a pretty platonic relationship. Also let us customize his skin color and hairstyle, that would be a neat inclusive add that wouldnt take a single thing away from the story.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I've only ever played two games that I thought didn't respect my time: Dragon Warrior/Quest VII and Persona 5 (and I've played 3 and 4, I don't think this way about those games). I still think Persona 5 is good in spite of this (and maybe DQ7, but I've never managed to dig my teeth into it despite three attempts because of how slow it is to start that I always give up after a few hours).

With every other video game I've played, this isn't really a problem. Maybe there's a poor design decision that's time consuming, but nothing that feels intentionally disrespectful to my time.

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
TLOZ: Spirit Tracks is amazing. Twilight Princess is horrible.

Persona and SMT should stay exclusives for Sony and Nintendo.

I hate that Persona is becoming mainstream.

Undertale is a masterpiece and my Goty 2015.

Etrian Odyssey, Smash and Animal Crossing are boring.

TLOU's ending sucks.

Minecraft is 10/10 (The only issue is the fanbase)

Danganronpa V3 is the best game in the series and one of the best games of all time. (It's my Goty 2017)

Microsoft should stop making games and consoles.

I want porn games to be mainstream.

Oct 29, 2017
Im with you. I keep hearing talk about how Japanese games are now "back" and prominent, but in my opinion Japanese games never left. They were and still are, on average, better than most western developed games. The best fighting game, shump, racing game, puzzle game, 2/3D platformer, metroidvania, and open world game are all Japanese.

I'm not big on Japanese games, but I get everything except racing. It's a broad genre, and I personally don't include kart games. With that. Forza Horizon 3 is the absolute best. I'm a giant GT fan, but it doesn't even get close. FH3 captures the feel and joy of driving (not just racing) on a level nothing ever came close.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Dark Souls 3 is the best Souls game, and it's much better than Bloodborne.

I'll expand on that--Bloodborne has a lot more nonsensical bullshit going on in it, and while the world is amazing, the actual content in the game leaves a bit to be desired. Chalice Dungeons are an amazing concept that quickly become a slog, and they leave a lot to be desired. The density of enemies in some areas is a huge pain, and while it's intended to encourage quicker gameplay, it often just because frustrating--it's a major issue in DS2:SOTFS as well. I think there are too few items to get in the game as a whole, and the game kind of boils down to STR/SKI builds with very little diversity compared to Dark Souls.

With DS3, after playing other entries, it feels mechanically the most refined, and while it lacks some of the openness that other games have, it doesn't feel like any of the space is wasted, and there's a good balance about it. I think the more linear nature works fine. With Bloodborne you are regularly given vague instructions or hints about where to go, and with Dark Souls 3 it's pretty obvious, which means you can spend less time backtracking and fumbling around and more time advancing through the game. My opinion is that Dark Souls 3 is overall the most refined Souls game (disclaimer, I haven't played DS1, but have played DeS, DS2, BB, and DS3), and the most well-rounded experience.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is not a good game.

I played 4 hours of it recently on PC before giving up completely. Now don't get me wrong, the amount of effort that has been put into the Star Wars lore and much of the written dialogue is decent enough. I also liked that there are small touches, like an abundance of metal swords, showing you that it's set an even longer time ago than the movies. However, there are several flaws. First, a lot of the voice acting really rubbed me the wrong way. I played a woman character and my male sidekick (who I assume would be female if you picked the male protagonist because Bioware) had an incredibly cornball voice. I also disliked how he suddenly turned from a nice guy™ to a massive asshole just because I picked a harsher dialogue choice one time, but perhaps that's almost a reflection on real life. Alien dialogue is a particular sore spot, lasting two times longer than the length of the English sentence ought to. That wookie character is the worst, almost reminds me of some guy talking into one of those voice changers you buy for kids.

The aspect in which the game has aged most poorly however is its very simplistic combat system. Unless i'm playing it wrong, you literally click on enemies a few times to kill them while keeping an eye on your own health. KotOR's brand of turn-based combat is like the anti-Final Fantasy XII, feeling like you've regressed back to the NES days. It will probably expand later on, but it didn't hook me enough to want to invest any more time into it. The game is also not a looker. Many titles which released around the same time period - and much older - have aged more gracefully than KotOR. I should also note that the game is the trickiest i've ever set up for modern PC resolutions.

I look puzzled at the 90+ Metacritic and adoration from pretty much everyone that speaks this game's name. Maybe in 2003 you just had to be there. Maybe Star Wars games are just that bad that this is held up as the pinnacle. Who knows.
The combat is garbage and the starting companion is bad but the companions you encounter later on are much better. It's still not as good as Dragon Age Origins or ME1 though, not even close.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry, but I think every mortal combat fan needs therapy. Like, if you tell me you like it in real life, I'll try to stay away from you, no kidding.

I was like this, until I actually started to play good western games. Gotta say my early exposure to western games robbed me the wrong way.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deadlight is a much better "last of us" game than the Last of Us could ever hope to be and it is also a better game in general than the last of us.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Sonic Mania fucking sucks. It's the worst 2D game in the series. If I didn't have so much game time in it now, I would refund it.