• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

triple

Banned for use of alt account
Nov 10, 2017
i don't know if it was better, but i had more fun playing it than skyrim for sure.

Curious, I haven't played through oblivion. I loved morrowind and found Skyrim ok. When oblivion came out, it was full of bugs so I stayed clear - is the storyline better than skyrim? (i hope so, skyrim's story was nonexistent).

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
I'm not sure how you find breath of the wild and horizon boring. But think Ubisoft games are fun?. Wildland, far cry, division, assassins creed, watch dogs are some of the biggest slogs in recent memory.

I can see that perspective. I think I'm the type of gamer who prefers their sandboxes a little more directed than BOTW. I mean, obviously it's far from bad. Just not for me.

Horizon, though, no idea what was supposed to be so impressive.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Morrowind was the last great open world game that actually made you explore. BotW comes close with the Pro HUD, but doesn't quite reach it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 3 is entirely reliant on the previous entries in the series and so derivative that
it couldn't be bothered to have its own final boss.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 3 is entirely reliant on the previous entries in the series and so derivative that

I thought the true final boss in the DLC was absolutely appropriate for the series, whereas the final boss in the base game made sense from a narrative perspective. Like, I would be annoyed if it was anything else, regardless of what else DS3 might feature.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the true final boss in the DLC was absolutely appropriate for the series, whereas the final boss in the base game made sense from a narrative perspective. Like, I would be annoyed if it was anything else, regardless of what else DS3 might feature.

The first fight against the Soul of Cinder using all of the moves from past games was fine enough on its own. He didn't need to transform into Gwyn; it was just another way of robbing DS3 of its own identity.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The first fight against the Soul of Cinder using all of the moves from past games was fine enough on its own. He didn't need to transform into Gwyn; it was just another way of robbing DS3 of its own identity.

Ehhh, I'm not sure I agree. He was the first, and it was from him basically everyone got their souls. What you are doing is killing everyone who came after him, and then fighting the OG. It's like going back and fighting God or whatever. Gwyn is the "Big Bad" who started this entire state of the world. By ending him, you eliminate the last vestiges of his legacy. When you complete that boss fight, you end the ages of fire and the whole world is put to rest again. Any other boss would not have that significance. A new character would feel phoned in. They save that for the DLC (don't know if you've played it and don't want to spoil). So we kind of get both.

The cool thing about dark souls is like, in other games you fight legends you just hear about. But in dark souls, you were there. Heck you are one of the legends who gets defeated in that boss fight. That's something I appreciate about the series. Of course that is going to mean some revisiting of things.

All that said though, I will say I was disappointed in how rehashed the themes were, especially because the new themes are pretty cool. Sullyvahn and his arc. The second DLC and how it introduced a completely new area and finally took us somewhere truly new....and then it was over.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
There's a looooooooooong essay to be written about the equivalences between the two masterpieces Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days and Spec Ops: The Line, its closest equivalent in the medium.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Ciri sucks and every encounter with her sucks in Witcher 3.

I've only done a few quests with her, but she has some cool moves, but not being able to use anything outside of dodge and attack is pretty annoying. She's supposed to be a well trained fighter who clearly has something else going for her but you're basically relegated to basic attacks.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont

Dark Souls 3 was a love letter to Dark Souls [1] fans with more refined mechanics. I love DS3, but I could see--having read up on the lore--how people would take issue with the story (and the relatively linear nature).

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Souls games difficulty (games overall are) is over rated

As someone who just got into them last year, they can be punishing, but once you learn the mechanics they aren't too bad. I haven't encountered anything that was just "broken stupid cheap" difficult, it's usually just I don't know what I'm doing--or rather supposed to be doing--and that can wear people down.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Souls games difficulty (games overall are) is over rated

The difficulty is definitely oversold.

It's less raw difficulty than it is getting used to the design philosophy where dying is an active part of the game, not just a fail state.

They're designed to make you die, learn and forge forward. It's what makes them so satisfying to play throigh because you actually feel a certain degree of progression and triumph as you soldier on.

But the elitism behind the difficulty is asinine. Just have to approach the games with a slightly different school of thought than most modern games.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I want to try Monster Hunter World but timers make it a non-starter for me.

It's not even so much the timed-missions as such, that's fine if it's the developer's vision.

But not being able to save and quit out at any time is a tragic flaw in game design that simply does not respect the player's time. I'll never be able to get behind this philosophy.

Imagine picking up a book and not being able to close it until you finish a chapter. Or watching a Netflix movie that you weren't allowed to pause and pick back up later.

Shame 'cause MHW looks intriguing, but I'm unwilling to put up with its archaic mission flow.

waffleman

Oct 27, 2017
I want to try Monster Hunter World but timers make it a non-starter for me.

It's not even so much the timed-missions as such, that's fine if it's the developer's vision.

But not being able to save and quit out at any time is a tragic flaw in game design that simply does not respect the player's time. I'll never be able to get behind this philosophy.

Imagine picking up a book and not being able to close it until you finish a chapter. Or watching a Netflix movie that you weren't allowed to pause and pick back up later.

Shame 'cause MHW looks intriguing, but I'm unwilling to put up with its archaic mission flow.

IIRC Monster Hunter World will feature a mode where you can hunt without any time limit.

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
Journey is terrible. It's barely a game, and more or less a substitute experience for people who are too scared to interact with strangers in the real world.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
ALttP is one of the worst Zelda games. The overworld is bland and a pain to navigate on foot. Dark World enemies do way too much damage and Link can die in 2 seconds because when enemies hit you, they stay right on top of you or chase you down immediately. You have an extremely short window of invincibility to move and turn towards them to strike. Problem is Link feels extremely heavy and positioning him with the d-pad feels like ass.

Skull Woods made me want to quit the game because of constant floor masters that can be impossible to dodge when engaged in combat in tight quarters or when trying to solve a puzzle. And the boss of that dungeon... you have to avoid tri-directional attacks while on a moving floor that changes directions while as many as 5 spikes travel back and forth across the room. And like I said, I don't think Link controls nearly as well as he should for the developers to even attempt something like that. I just feel like I die a lot to cheap deaths in that game. Not sure how anyone played it without save states, or why people insist it is one of the best games ever. Maybe it was in 1991, but in my opinion, it doesn't hold up as most Zelda games do.

Donny K.

Oct 29, 2017
Every kind of data gathering in games by developers and publishers should be opt-in only and off by default.

Last edited:

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Im gutted that mass effect Andromeda and the sequels are dead. I loved the story and thought some of the companions were among the best in the entire series.

The gameplay obviously needed a lot of work, but ME1 has plenty of its own flaws and that trio worked out pretty decent in the end

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
ALttP is one of the worst Zelda games. The overworld is bland and a pain to navigate on foot. Dark World enemies do way too much damage and Link can die in 2 seconds because when enemies hit you, they stay right on top of you or chase you down immediately. You have an extremely short window of invincibility to move and turn towards them to strike. Problem is Link feels extremely heavy and positioning him with the d-pad feels like ass.

Skull Woods made me want to quit the game because of constant floor masters that can be impossible to dodge when engaged in combat in tight quarters or when trying to solve a puzzle. And the boss of that dungeon... you have to avoid tri-directional attacks while on a moving floor that changes directions while as many as 5 spikes travel back and forth across the room. And like I said, I don't think Link controls nearly as well as he should for the developers to even attempt something like that. I just feel like I die a lot to cheap deaths in that game. Not sure how anyone played it without save states, or why people insist it is one of the best games ever. Maybe it was in 1991, but in my opinion, it doesn't hold up as most Zelda games do.

Well this certainly is controversial. I managed to plow trough Alttp at a age of 8, with no understanding of the english language. I'd say difficulty is the last thing I'd criticize that game for. It's all the games afterwards that started to dumb down the franchise to ridiculous degree. But it atleast demonstrates that Zelda once had a much more central focus on combat. Once Aonuma took over it became about puzzles everywhere.