Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone has that one album that you think is PERFECT and are surprised to find the artist has little to no fan base.

For me, it's:

It might be a Top 3 album for me. I think the proper genre is "Chamber Pop", and it's heavely influenced by Pet Sounds.

But oh my god. It's perfect.

So lush, atmospheric, and full of texture. Wish there was more stuff like it.

____

What's your secret album?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't say it's perfect but Breasticles by Kristeen Young is a pretty good album, and i know literally one person that even knows her music.

She also has beef with dickbag Morrissey so that's a plus.

Last edited:

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon

idk maybe shlohmo's bad vibes or ricky eat acid's three love songs. that's about as obscure i get lmao

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Eloy with their majestic album Ocean from 1977.

Such a masterpiece of an album. Eloy was a progressive/space rock band from the 70's/80s. A mix of Yes and Pink Floyd but with unique sounds. This is their "Dark Side of the Moon" album. A continous album narrating the creation and destruction of Atlantis. Top notch sequences and synthsizer solos.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Space Escapade by Les Baxter

It's an amazing slice of a hyper specific genre which wikipedia tells me is called "space age pop," that tries to communicate the optimism about technology and progress in the 1950s

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I really like this obscure album by Pink Floyd, its known as Dark Side of the Moon.

You"ve probably never heard about it but its pretty solid.

Edit: My joke got stolen

OP
OP
Lost

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's an amazing slice of a hyper specific genre which wikipedia tells me is called "space age pop," that tries to communicate the optimism about technology and progress in the 1950s

I love Jewels of the Sea by Les Baxter, so I'll try this. Loving the first song so far.

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017
Metamorphine by Leandra. Kinda grew out of this type of music, but the album still holds up and is nostalgic to me.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To Speak to Listen by Eidola

Master class of music that goes widely unrecognized. Dengeneretta their previous album is just as good

Humble Ledger is what I consider one of the greatest songs of all time

Last edited:

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I could do this all day. I like a lot of music, and most of it never breaks mainstream:

The Stickmen - Insatiable : A psychotic crack/meth-fueled No Wave/Funk mash up from the early 80s:

The Plugz -- Better Luck: Chicano punk band from East LA as they begin pulling in broader musical influences

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kate Tempest -- Let Them Eat Chaos -- A lyrical masterpiece concept album about seven strangers, the prison of ego, and the deconstruction of self

Caroline Rose - Loner: Recent release from the newly reinvented Rose featuring some pretty brilliant lyrics with a Randy Newman-ish sardonic bent.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
Demon Daze by sports.

a3572574069_10.jpg

You won't be disappointed if you like fast emo with slick guitar.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Slake - Beyond the Dead Future (2012 Re-edit, 2006 Original)

Slake - The Invisible Force

People familiar with Konami's rhythm games are probably well acquainted with the bizarre and eclectic sounds of Slake. He has a small and excellent contingent of work independent of Konami, including the two albums shown above, 'Beyond the Dead Future' and 'The Invisible Force'. He also releases some individual tracks and remixes through DA Recordings, 'Green Ocean' and 'Quantum' being my favorites in that category.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
a1725589847_10.jpg

Very weird and unique electronic.

lYd3ln5.jpg

Industrial metal from one of the guys from Hanzel und Gretyl. Lots of irreverent songs about making love to pickelhaubes and unsubtle Trump-Hitler comparisons.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like no one else except for macuser1of5 realizes how great "the body the blood the machine" is. like some serious all-time shit.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Brand New Friend - Seatbelts for Aeroplanes.

Young band from Northern Ireland, saw them opening for Feeder and was massively impressed, their debut album only came out recently and it is SOLID. Nice summer pop punky stuff.

Jackson United - Western Ballads

Despite the singer being a member of Foo Fighters, I never felt like Jackson United got any real recognition. Was funny seeing him set up his only gear during the day on a side stage at a festival and then play the main stage that night.

Lucky241

Oct 31, 2017
the shores of Carcosa
I like rock/punk/emo. So my two favs are

TAT - Soho Lights
A Parisian girl, Tatiana DeMaria, grew up on Social Distortion and American punk rock. Her songs generally deal with anxiety, depression, and anger.

This is rock out music. Best cuts are "Road to Paradise", "Here's to You", and though they're not on this album "Anxiety" and "What It Is About You".

The Graduate - Only Every Time
A great band only doomed because they hit the scene too late after the world moved on from this aesthetic. The whole album is solid but "Pull Me In" is one of those rare songs that I could listen to for hours straight and always yearn for one more listen.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Before Sara Bareilles hit it big with Little Voice, she released an album called Careful Confessions. Many of the songs were redone for Little Voice but a few of them drifted into relative obscurity. This is one of may favorites from it.

Oct 27, 2017
Caroline Rose - Loner: Recent release from the newly reinvented Rose featuring some pretty brilliant lyrics with a Randy Newman-ish sardonic bent.

Don't sleep on this album folks. She recorded all of the instruments herself and mixed everything. Really talented woman, and I'm sad I missed her when she was in my area.

Chris1215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis
Cool idea for a thread. Here is my contribution:

John Frusciante - Shadows Collide with People(You can tell how much influence he had on RHCP as far as melodies and hooks go in their By the Way era) Can't recommend this album enough. It's one of my favorites of all time

Every Person

Omission

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

Les Baxter rules. I discovered him during the whole Lounge revival thing in the 90s.

For me, it's probably Stan Ridgway. The former front an of a one hit wonder, (Wall of Voodoo, Mexican Radio) but I love the music.

Stan_Ridgway_Mosquitos.jpeg

Last edited:

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparat's 2013 album Krieg und Frieden (Music for Theatre)

I'm sure there are people who have heard of Apparat (he is also a part of Moderat that people have probably heard of), though I'm not sure if many have listened to this album. The reviews are so-so and it only has a few hundred ratings on RYM. I find it to be a great album, definitely in my top 5 for the decade.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 – Lovelyville: The start of this band's 3-album run on Matador; the latter two are more acclaimed but this one's just as good. Experimental rock, absurd noise, head-spinning punk.

Half Japanese – Loud: feels like people know of this band, but I don't know how many have listened to their (in)famous debut triple LP, let alone moved beyond that to later albums. This album fucking rocks

The American Analog Set – The Golden Band: dreamy spacey drone pop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC5g4f8im3I