Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
It did have a weird two-controller mode that was basically dual analog, though. It was the secret best way to play.

I knew of those, but I thought they retained the tank controls. Guess not!

dXdSWsD.png

Though you do aim with the right trigger and fire with the left trigger. Oh well.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017

You're right, they kind of did. You had to strafe with the right stick and turn with the left one, which is disorienting for anyone who has played a dual analog game since, but at the time it was fantastic.

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017

Though you do aim with the right trigger and fire with the left trigger. Oh well.
1.2 is the best Goldeneye control scheme. Plays exactly like a modern shooter except the left analog stick is the d-pad (but it works super well).

McNagah

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2 was the most confusing for me as a newcomer to the series about 10 years later, still wasn't able to beat the beginning due to the tank controls.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Press the left stick to run/go prone/stealthmode etc... I ALWAYS press it during hot action trying evasive action.
It should only be used for klaxxon/call your horse...

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Attacks on shoulder buttons. I was shocked by this when I started Assassin's Creed Origins. Thankfully in this game there is an alternate control scheme closer to the previous entries, I switched it on right away. I just can't imagine using those horrible clicky bumpers on the Xbone controller to perform regular attacks.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
For me it's not about one game per se but a whole game console. I'm used to PlayStation only and the moment I got Nintendo Switch all hell broke loose, still can't adapt to using A, B in any game

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
R1 - Light Strike
R2 - Heavy strike

I think it was Dark Souls who started this trend, I just hate it, it just feels wrong (especially as the stronger hit is in the most soft button on the controller: the trigger). Square/X and Triangle/Y exists for a reason.

Nov 8, 2017
Camera controls:
  • Tilt right stick forward = Camera tilts backwards.
  • Tilt right stick backward = Camera tilts forwards.
I don't know why we call this "Normal".

Jan 10, 2018
• GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas: Aim with R1 and shoot with circle. They even messed up GTA IV by having the aiming and shooting on the trigger buttons on DS3 (which almost no one had at the time because they sucked). There was an option to change to L1 and R1 but then they were inverted for some crazy reason.

• Dragon Age Inquisition: Menu navigation with the left stick only. I suppose they made it this way because of the diamond shaped skill trees, but it's still very annoying that they couldn't enable both the stick and the d-pad.

• Trigger buttons for cover and sprinting in third person games. Some games occasionally have this control setup and I just don't like how it feels. In some rare instances the sprinting can be fine but overall I don't enjoy it.

Attacks on shoulder buttons. I was shocked by this when I started Assassin's Creed Origins. Thankfully in this game there is an alternate control scheme closer to the previous entries, I switched it on right away. I just can't imagine using those horrible clicky bumpers on the Xbone controller to perform regular attacks.

It's not a strange control scheme though as it frees up the camera. I think that's the point of it; not to have attack, defend, camera and movement collide with eachother. I personally prefer it this way. It's the same reason I want to jump in certain games on trigger buttons, because it frees up the camera.

Last edited:

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Any control scheme where L3 is used as some kind of movement. MGS5 was very bad about this where you have to be both holding a direction and pressing it to roll on the ground. A lot of other games use L3 as a sprint button.

Xenoblade X is the only game where this is tolerable because you can press L3 while standing still to go into a sprint mode before you even begin moving.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
When a game that has been designed for mouse (and keyboard) or touch controls and has been ported for a console (to be played with a controller) without a proper revamp of the UI.

I haven't bought Darkest Dungeon because of this and the game looks like it's right up my alley.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter 1 and 2. Attacks were mapped to the right stick. I don't know how they came up with this insanity.
(If you're wondering where the camera controls were, the answer is...on the D-Pad. Yeah.)

Thankfully they didn't have a right stick to abuse on the PSP and had to develop sensible button controls, which later got ported to Tri.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
For me it's not about one game per se but a whole game console. I'm used to PlayStation only and the moment I got Nintendo Switch all hell broke loose, still can't adapt to using A, B in any game

It took me a while to get used to switching between PS4, Xbox, and Switch. The worst part is probably playing Fortnite on Xbox one and Switch back and forth.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doom VFR on ps4 with the moves has no turning button in a game where enemies constantly surround you

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
If you go back and play early PS2 / Xbox games they're inverted, some with no way of turning them to normal. Dark age of analog controls.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Rockstar need to get rid of their bullshit tap to sprint input. Makes it needlessly uncomfortable to turn the camera while moving.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Yup Kid Icarus Uprising, I wanna beat it so bad but geeze what were they thinking.

Also Armored Core V.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Holding L3 (on ps4 at least) to sprint is still one of the worst control designs ever.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hated the pressure sensitive buttons in MGS2. I remember holding up guards for dog tags involved holding all sorts of different buttons at the same at different pressures or something. As a kid, it was freaking impossible.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Dual analog pointing for third- and first- person shooting games, controlling scheme so busted, so inaccurate, so slow, so backwards in every single way it mandated overbearing auto-aim applied to it.

It is baffling to see Stockholm syndrome defenders of such a inferior control scheme.

This, obviously this.
The most broken control scheme of all time for someone used to mouse/kb, made worse by how ubiquitous and popular it is.
One can get good with it, but people learn to walk on stilts fairly well but probably wouldn't recommend them for hiking.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
If your game has mouse control but:
  • Has acceleration enabled by default without an option to disable it.
  • Has multiple sensitivity sliders which are different with no option to link them (looking at you, Vanquish).
  • Adjusts sensitivity based on actions that you are doing in the game; e.g. Prey (2017) dropping sensitivity to 0.65x when sprinting.
  • Locks out the camera controls at any point; e.g. third-person action games.
  • Can't handle fast movements (Rez).
You just proved that you never bothered to test the game beyond "does the mouse move the camera at all?"

• Motion control for actions that should be on a button. Nintendo are still doing this in games like Mario Odyssey.
Gyro aiming is a big improvement over dual-analog control though, and more games should have it as an option.

I'm surprised to see many people complain about controls being placed on the shoulder/trigger buttons instead of the face buttons.
Using the face buttons prevents you from using the right analog stick without 'clawing' the controller.

Camera controls:
  • Tilt right stick forward = Camera tilts backwards.
  • Tilt right stick backward = Camera tilts forwards.
I don't know why we call this "Normal".
If you're thinking of it as controlling a physical camera, do you also invert the X axis?
  • Push stick up > View goes up.
  • Push stick down > View goes down.
The only time that using inverted controls (both X and Y axis) has felt natural to me is trying to play anything on the Switch - and that's because I keep my thumb on the face buttons and control it with the joint of my thumb.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I always found DS/3DS incredible discomfort to play... not the game, the console itself... :\

Game Boy was much better!

Also Xbox pad for some reason is also terrible on my hands, I hated it... :1

(PS1 and PS3 gamepads are also... bad...)

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Tank controls were and still are a complete deal-breaker for me.

Honorable mention to Mad Max's controls.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Resident Evil tank controls

dumbest fucking shit ever, and NO it does not add to "tension". it just constantly feels like crap when playing

Nov 8, 2017
If you're thinking of it as controlling a physical camera, do you also invert the X axis?
  • Push stick up > View goes up.
  • Push stick down > View goes down.

If you're pushing the stick "up" and "down", then I can only imagine that you're holding the controller at a very unusual angle.

With regards to X-axis, the logical corresponding input movement would be to twist the stick, which is impossible and would feel horrible anyway (not least because it would be pretty much impossible with one thumb alone). Tilting left and right to turn is the best compromise, but neither "Normal" nor "Inverted" in that case correspond to the camera movement (which would be to roll the camera).

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
R1 - Light Strike
R2 - Heavy strike

I think it was Dark Souls who started this trend, I just hate it, it just feels wrong (especially as the stronger hit is in the most soft button on the controller: the trigger). Square/X and Triangle/Y exists for a reason.
And where do you put the left handed gear's buttons with your square/triangle setup?

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I definitely did not like using motion controls to guide Aiai and pals through stages in Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz. Way too little precision from a game that has later stages that demands it.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
R1 - Light Strike
R2 - Heavy strike

With square and triangle, you can't use the right stick to control the camera though.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Every now and then I find myself playing an old PS1 game from the days before they standardized on "X is yes, O is no" for American games. It's painful every time.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Zelda Breath of the Wild with the WiiU Pro Controler.

You have to use the thumb to change your power on the D-Pad.
The power selection requires you to hold the D-Pad (game pause is canceled on release).
While your thumb is used to move Link with the left analog stick.

Maybe I am dumb and didn't figure something, but it always ruins Link's movement.
I speak about the day 1 WiiU patch, maybe they adjust something since.

Last edited: