• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you do?

• Save the kid (you'd die)

Votes: 1,344 55.8%
  • Save yourself (the kid dies)

Votes: 1,065 44.2%

• Total voters

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Bottom line, if - in a scenario like this - you would take the place of some kid and live with yourself after the fact, you aren't worth saving, and I'd fight you to the death to keep you on board... and I wouldn't be standing alone... and I think anyone who figures otherwise is kidding themselves...

He'd just throw the kid at you, or hang him on a railing, so you have to deal with that while he makes his escape

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
A lot of people are willing to give their own life to save another.
I dunno if I could live with myself knowing I made a decision to let a child die so I could save my own skin.
Not being selfish and cowardly isnt exactly taking a moral high ground.
A child getting to experience life and parents not having to bury a child is worth my life. I can understand those with a family who needs them to be more concerned about them in a moment like that. But if youre like me and you have nothing and nobody and would still take that kids spot then you just suck lol

Limit

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Even if its less than half the people, I am happy to see that there are people in this thread who are not heinous enough to put a kid through the moral burden of someone having died for him/her. Life already is hard enough. Adding death on top of it may mess your psyche enough to throw your life into a cycle of depression, drugs, self hatred, and god knows what else. They are just kids man. They don't deserve that. So I'm glad to see courageous individuals who are willing to bear the moral burden of death on their own psyche instead, and face the vicissitudes of life head on.

You guys are the true heroes.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I'd rather live with the deaths of others than force others to live through mine. Also, I don't want to die.

When I think about the way the people in my life would take my death, I can't imagine inflicting that upon them.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the people voting save yourself are more likely to empathize more with cops with itchy trigger fingers. The situations seem fairly similar. The cops don't want to die either and are thinking it's either them or me.

Bottom line, if - in a scenario like this - you would take the place of some kid and live with yourself after the fact, you aren't worth saving, and I'd fight you to the death to keep you on board... and I wouldn't be standing alone... and I think anyone who figures otherwise is kidding themselves...

Imagine being this unbalanced while actually thinking you have the moral high ground.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
What the fuck is that poll, man.

Don't attempt to have kids if you don't put them before yourself.
I thought the answer was to have a kid so that when this event comes to fruition, you'd then be able to use them as the key to your survival since Parent + Child has more value than the people who decided not to have kids.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I'm doing everything I can to save the kids, just the way I am, I have a soft spot for em.

Even the ones that are little shits.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Die there and then or live my whole life hearing that kid's screams every night in my dreams?

I mean I barely sleep as it is dude, what's a bit less?

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I would hope that most of the people on the boat are Resetera members, according to the poll 50% are more than happy to give up a spot so there's enough room for the other half and the kids.

In reality, the majority are going to want to save their ass but we have to pretend that we're morally perfect.
If eithical problems were as easily solved as "everyone looks out for themselves" they wouldn't exist. Again, this is an hypothetical scenario where for some reason it's either the kid or you, and a 100% certainty of death for whoever stays aboard. This can't happen irl.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yeah, sorry I'd get on the boat with my wife first and help all that could get on. Anyone that has been on a cruise ship can tell you that the majority of people wouldn't make it to the muster station in time anyway.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I do find the idea that random strangers are obliged to lay down their lives for others' kids a little unsettling. Doubly so because in my head it is a bunch of people telling me I have to die so their kid can live and I am expected to say "yeah, okay".

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The truth is no one knows exactly what they would do until presented with the moment. Most of us who think we'd be brave and chivalrous might be in for a reality check

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I do find the idea that random strangers are obliged to lay down their lives for others' kids a little unsettling. Doubly so because in my head it is a bunch of people telling me I have to die so their kid can live and I am expected to say "yeah, okay".
I find it a little unsettling that so many people would be so eager to watch some kid crying knowing they are about to die and be like "sorry kid, no room"

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Yeah. Even if I don't get a lifeboat , there's still a chance(albeit slim) I could still survive just by swimming to somewhere nearby or keeping myself afloat long enough to be rescued. There's no way a child will be able to.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
A lot of people are willing to give their own life to save another.
I dunno if I could live with myself knowing I made a decision to let a child die so I could save my own skin.
Not being selfish and cowardly isnt exactly taking a moral high ground.
A child getting to experience life and parents not having to bury a child is worth my life. I can understand those with a family who needs them to be more concerned about them in a moment like that. But if youre like me and you have nothing and nobody and would still take that kids spot then you just suck lol

I am at a point where I am quite happy and content with my life. I have people who love me, people that loved me, people that I have loved or still love and so on. There's a lot I still want to do, but I don't really let that eat at me. I live to still to move towards those things someday but accept that they might not happen. I think really the fear of death comes down to are you living with regret? Are there things you still want to do? Are you not content? I feel like for the hand I was dealt I have lived my life fully up to this point and am excited about the future but to know that I chose to let a kid die that will never get to experience that would fuck me up. I won't judge anyone's decision though, I guess we all live for different reasons.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I find it a little unsettling that so many people would be so eager to watch some kid crying knowing they are about to die and be like "sorry kid, no room"

Cool, as long as you don't expect me to give up my seat for the kid. We can both spend the time on the life boat being unsettled. Well actually I guess not because you would have given up your seat for the kid and I would be just having that kid stare at me with hatred the whole time.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017

That is the thing saying yes is not even human, no one can say in that situation they can only say this shit here on the forum. Put that shit to the real test I doubt we would be half and half on this topic.

We can't even do Black Friday shopping without deaths

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
The truth is no one knows exactly what they would do until presented with the moment. Most of us who think we'd be brave and chivalrous might be in for a reality check
That I agree with. But at the same time, I've put myself in harms way for strangers more times then I can remember working security so maybe some people also just value others lives more than their own. I just know I fall on the side that I could give my life up to save another a lot easier than I could take another life to save my own.

Like Id make a good firefighter but a horrible cop :p

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Cool, as long as you don't expect me to give up my seat for the kid. We can both spend the time on the life boat being unsettled. Well actually I guess not because you would have given up your seat for the kid and I would be just having that kid stare at me with hatred the whole time.

The spare boats would be out at sea before the vast majority of kids made it to the muster stations if they ever do at all (it takes a fucking hour before most cruislines get through muster training). This scenario just wouldn't happen. You should get your kids in their life jackets and swim away from the ship as fast as you can, probably following the boats. If you can't do that, don't take your kids on a boat.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Have to chuckle at the people that are getting flustered and mentioning "power fantasies" and how others are pretending to be "morally perfect".

If you'd be comfortable sentencing a child to death for the sake of saving yourself and watching them go down as you sail away having taken their place that's you, don't start to criticize or mock others for believing they wouldn't.

I don't know how I'd be able to look anyone in the boat with me in the eye, let-alone the parents of the child, or trying to continue living life with the scenario etched into your head.

This isn't survivor syndrome, this is directly having chosen to survive at the expense of a child's life. I've felt guilt and anxiety about much less critical things, where I haven't had a choice, to think I'd ever be able to enjoy life after that fact.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I think the flip side of rationalizing getting on the boat because of loved ones or your kids at home is that, if they ever find out how you survived, they are just as likely to view you as a coward.

Deleted member 2550

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do I get the feeling a lot of threads on this site are (not so) secretly designed to make people hate each other by the 2nd page. This is not intended to be thread whining. I'm just laughing after jumping from page 1 to page 11.

Oct 27, 2017
I said I'd let the kid live, but then my wife told me I have to stay alive to help raise MY kid, so sorry random child, you ded.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Reading through this thread just puts me in a bad mood. I cannot understand how anyone could live with the guilt or not have any guilt letting a little kid die.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread...

Man... There suuuuure are a lot of you who don't have kids or any close ties to children.

Oct 27, 2017
At the same time, those parents would be pretty grateful to the person who gave their life to save their child.
That's what makes it an interesting answer!

I said I'd let the kid live, but then my wife told me I have to stay alive to help raise MY kid, so sorry random child, you ded.
(to a terrified, sobbing child)
"Kid, have you met my wife? Now she'd give you something to cry about. It's better this way."

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Would you like some grown-ass man to choose to take your kid's place? It's not that easy.
Those « what ifs » scenario are stupid but yes I wouldb't hold a grudge for someone surviving while my kid wouldn't. Who am I to tell someone to die so that my kid would have lived?

Why would I be allowed to shame someone over not sacrificing his life for some complete stranger?

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
This thread...

Man... There suuuuure are a lot of you who don't have kids or any close ties to children.

My brother has 3 kids and i really like them but i would never throw away my life for some strangers kid and im sure that 90% who voted yes would end up sitting next to me when this was a real situation because they are scared of dying like myself.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I don't think I could live with myself if I let a kid die over myself, even though I'm not a kid person and don't want any. I'd sacrifice myself.

I sometimes look forward to death anyway...but not by drowning. That would be the worst.