• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pink and Moist or Dry as Fuck?

• Pink and moist

Votes: 450 39.8%
  • A little pink

Votes: 552 48.8%
  • I like my burgers so dry I have to drown it in condiments

Votes: 73 6.4%
  • Just give it to my dry as fuck...I'll find a way

Votes: 57 5.0%

• Total voters

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
I sent back a steak once in my life because it was a $100 bone in ribeye and I ordered it rare and I cut into it and it was brown all the way through, then everyone joked that it was snobby to send it back. I just politely told the waiter "look Its not a big deal but this is just way more well done than I expected, could I get another one thats as rare as possible?". Was I the asshole or is it right to send back a steak that expensive that's overcooked?
They're asking you to pay $100. It's their responsibility to get it right imo. Feel like its much less an asshole thing to send back expensive food for not being right than it is cheap food tbh.

If they want you to pay a premium then they need to give you that premium.

Oct 27, 2017
I came in to vote...and then immediately notice the poll doesn't match the thread question at all, lol. Another great example of poll-posting gone wrong on Resetera.

My answer would have been "medium to medium-rare."

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
If it's like a jalapeno burger of some sort I wouldn't mind if the burger had to be drowned in it's condiments. Otherwise medium rare to medium and I'll enjoy myself plenty.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I don't eat steak or any other beef so my burgers are turkey and cooked well. My husband also does not eat steak but he does eat beef burgers, well done. We like our food cooked.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
For burgers I'll order them medium, unless I'm single-sourcing it myself or if the kitchen / restaurant uses high-quality meat. In both cases I'll go medium-rare.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Depends on what I'm ordering. I'll usually order a burger medium or medium well, and a steak usually medium rare.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I like most steaks medium but I like medium rare as well. I hate well done and I am not a fan of rare either. I rarely eat steaks or burgers at restaurants though. Its so much better when you make it for yourself.

For burgers I thought it was recommenced that you cook them at least 160 degrees? I usually get mine to 160-162, which I think is medium well to well.

Oct 27, 2017
I sent back a steak once in my life because it was a $100 bone in ribeye and I ordered it rare and I cut into it and it was brown all the way through, then everyone joked that it was snobby to send it back. I just politely told the waiter "look Its not a big deal but this is just way more well done than I expected, could I get another one thats as rare as possible?". Was I the asshole or is it right to send back a steak that expensive that's overcooked?
I've never sent food back, but in this circumstance I would. You spend $100 and ask for it rare, it better be. I'd let medium rare slide, but not one really overcooked like that.

The Iron Yuppie

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Medium Rare steak. Well Done burger.

Speaking as a former Inspector for the USDA: Never eat any level of "rare" ground meat.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you order well done you're just delaying the rest of your family's food coming out in a timely fashion. Kitchen staffs hate you.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Medium-rare for the typical higher-fat steakhouse cuts, though there are some less-common cuts I might order rare. A filet I'd probably order rare, if I was ever inclined to order a filet.

A burger would ideally be medium, though that will depend on the type of burger and type of restaurant. For a thicker pub-type burger at a decent place I'll probably order medium (even if that means rolling the dice a little on food safety, honestly), and certainly will do that at a steakhouse or similar specialty place. But thinner smashburger/fast-food-style patties are fine more well-done as long as they have sufficient fat content, so I probably won't specify at those places and let them do whatever their default is.

Last edited:

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Steak, medium or whatever is recommended if I don't know the place. Medium rare if I do. Burgers, always well done (no pink, anyway). Unless you know for a fact that the beef was minced on the premises and preferably right before it was cooked, you don't know what the surface area of that mince has come into contact with.

Last edited:

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Well done burgers
Medium well steaks- I can do medium, but anything lower is a hard no.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
My bizarre take. I tend to order medium. Unless I'm ordering a burger with feta or goat cheese. I don't like cheese turning pink, it kinda weirds me out.

I'm not ordering medium hamburgers off a food cart, and I've never been ill from eating out except some Mexican one time, so I'm not freaked out by large font. If I change my mind later, it'll be because I finally rolled a one.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
omg four pages and and a year later not a single one of you posted this?

Most correct thing Hank Hill has ever said. Medium rare all day.

Fun fact about me: when I was a kid I thought I didn't like steak because my dad always cooked it well-done. Discovering medium rare change my life.

Last edited:

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
I'd never order ground beef anything below medium, usually medium well for reasons already discussed. Maybe if I ground it myself, I guess. But I don't trust myself to keep things that clean.

For steaks, basically always medium rare.

The Iron Yuppie

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
What about blue? That's safe, right?

It's all a function of surface area that bacteria can survive on. Any cut of steak can be safety consumed "blue" if you cook it correctly, ie: properly sear every outer surface.

All ground meats have had that external surface mixed into the interior flesh and thus, any surviving bacteria could have been spread ALL THROUGH the meat. So again, always, always, ALWAYS thoroughly cook all ground meats. Eating a hamburger with any amount of pink flesh is a dangerous game.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
👏 I don't play with my life 👏

Burn that shit to a crisp if it means i ain't getting food poisoned

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Not a huge fan of the myoglobin+water taste. I won't turn away a medium-rare steak, but I'm much more fond of medium-well.

Some burgers or cuts of steak can taste great well done (meaning 160 degrees, not burnt), but that's because the Maillard reaction is usually delicious.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's all a function of surface area that bacteria can survive on. Any cut of steak can be safety consumed "blue" if you cook it correctly, ie: properly sear every outer surface.

All ground meats have had that external surface mixed into the interior flesh and thus, any surviving bacteria could have been spread ALL THROUGH the meat. So again, always, always, ALWAYS thoroughly cook all ground meats. Eating a hamburger with any amount of pink flesh is a dangerous game.

I was meming, but this is good info... thanks!