• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i'm getting off the island in a second if the game selected is F-Zero X.

i was actual top 5 in the world at some point more than a decade ago and the odds of any of the people above me in the game being stuck on that same island are so astronomically low that i'm pretty much guaranteed to get out unless i get the worst possible luck ever.

Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
The last half of the Picross 3D individual level leaderboards are freebies. I know because I'm one of only two people who have ever submitted a run. Literally just beat the level casually and you'll score 3rd place automatically.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I already hold one in Graceful Explosion Machine so I guess I'd just walk off the island when I was bored of the beach.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Honestly? Some hentai dating sim that doesn't have a very serious speed run attempt. I'm sure after a bit of time I could optimize it pretty easily.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Could either go the "completely obscure game" route, or:

Find a game that has like ... a single interaction that can lead to an instant win state based purely on randomness; After enough retries, you should be able to get that "Insta Win" and tie for best time.

Similarly, a game that relies on a single interaction based on fast reflexes. Which you can just try to cheese by preemptively performing the input and hope the "go!" signal happened 0.001ms before you hit the button.

Nov 2, 2017
I feel like I can do it with the RE Remakes.

Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl also is a good shout for me.

Some obscure and extremely short game would do as well of course. But can't think of one right now.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Since a lot of people will remain in the island forever, we could create an alternative society and develop our own technology, law system yadda yadda so we can live a worthy and happy life.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
This is an easy answer. X-Men Legends 2: Age of Apocalypse
Xmen-Legends-2_US_ESRB-FINAL_PC.jpg
As for the exact category I'd probably choose easy or hard difficulty (normal takes longest to do). But I don't know how the categories for speedruns breakdown to, if they're categories for speedrunning with certain teams that exist in game then Id do those too. Hell even if there's no speedrunning involved I'd still play this

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Get the quick kill on Don Flamenco in Punch Out NES and you're tied with hundreds for the WR. (Glass Joe is no longer a recognized category at Speedrun.com)

Also Home Alone NES. Beat the game without pausing and you're tied in the WR.

On a more actual answer, the only game I seriously speedrun is TMNT IV on SNES. I'm currently at 15th place on Easy mode, but I doubt I'll ever be good enough for Top 3.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Probably some obscure trash game that only two other people have even played.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Since a lot of people will remain in the island forever, we could create an alternative society and develop our own technology, law system yadda yadda so we can live a worthy and happy life.

UTOPIA ISLAND until it gets overpopulated and the outside world finds out and then we're fucked

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
UTOPIA ISLAND until it gets overpopulated and the outside world finds out and then we're fucked

The outside world tries to rescue us from the island, but they don't know about OP's condition of speedrunning games so our head just explodes when reaching the rescue choppers. The ones avoiding this terrible fate hide themselves from the outer society creating underground cities, which turns out to be the setting of Bioshock 4.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mortal Kombat 1 arcade. Was the only game back then I could easily beat anytime so I cold work on optimizing that.

Lys Skygge

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I was top 10 on the Velocity 2X leaderboards a few years ago. I feel that I could make it to top 3 if getting off an island depended on it šŸ˜‚

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Pretty sure no one has ever attempted a speed run at Save your teeth.

Yeah I'll just pick some obscure C64 game no one else played.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
i'm getting off the island in a second if the game selected is F-Zero X.

i was actual top 5 in the world at some point more than a decade ago and the odds of any of the people above me in the game being stuck on that same island are so astronomically low that i'm pretty much guaranteed to get out unless i get the worst possible luck ever.
Any videos of your stuff? Been on an F-Zero X kick this week.

Res-bot

Nov 11, 2017
Rules:
  • It doesn't have to be a complete game playthrough. Any recognized category (ex: a Mario Kart course time trial) would count as long as you place top three.
  • It must be a game that came out at least a year ago. No setting records on release day.
  • No outside communication. No internet. You're isolated on this island with only your current knowledge of gaming, recordings of past runs, a leaderboard, and a ton of free time.
  • You can study TAS but cannot use one for your runs.
  • Once chosen, you cannot change the record you're attempting to set.
  • You have enough food and supplies to survive for a year.
  • There's no other way for you to be rescued or escape. It's either rank or perish.
One year to master a game and save yourself. Whatcha got?

Or is the OP really just asking which game would you be prepared to only play on a desert island for the rest of your life - as you'll never hit top 3 and get off the island?

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
the sorceress campaign on the original Heroes of Might and Magic (theres none so far)
if that doesnt count, then one of the other characters. there are two runs, so i would be top 3 by default

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I just pick some game that has no records and is not a good game that barely anyone played. There are countless games like this.

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018
I just use the iPhone 14 Emergency Satellite communication. Cause there is no way in hell I am setting any type of record.

If I had to choose though, I would speedrun a section of Ori

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Something short so I can try many times.
Something I don't suck too hard at.
Something not many people play or have tried to speed run so I have a chance.
Something I like so I don't go crazy.

Zone of the Enders 1.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
  • No outside communication. No internet. You're isolated on this island with only your current knowledge of gaming, recordings of

this is the dealbreaker, it's next to impossible to learn, let alone break records speedrunning a game w/o previous knowledge and after watching several tutorials.

TuneTuneGuy

Mar 11, 2020
Random ps2 licensed games. They were always only like 3 hours long and no one is going after those records.
Give me Monsters Inc on ps2 or give the the heads of my island enemies so I may become king!

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Do I have magical acces to lost media? Cuz then one of the game I made in rpg maker as a teen. "First boss category" cuz I never finishe any of em.