• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I understand but that was the past and I'm moving forward. I wil try to stop making you concerned
Have you considered in-patient treatment? I know it can be scary but there's no shame in it. I had to admit myself a little over a year ago and it helped. I'm glad I did. It seems like you could benefit from having your medication reviewed and being closely monitored until things settle down. I wish you the best.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Like the kids in the OP's video, they're not alright. Been an issue for a few days.

Similar to the violent and disorganized kids in the videos, Stick also needs some compassion, understanding and empathy.

It's quite the struggle all around.

What's your solution? Because you seem to be giving off "system sucks, too bad" vibes. Kids need help for sure, but you seem bloody cavalier about the violence they're enacting.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Poverty is no reason for that kind of violence, stop making excuses for them. What are the victims supposed to do? shrug their shoulders and say"well they can stomp on my neck, it's the system that makes them do it you see" some things aren't that complicated, some people really are shitty.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Poverty is no reason for that kind of violence, stop making excuses for them. What are the victims supposed to do? shrug their shoulders and say"well they can stomp on my neck, it's the system that makes them do it you see" some things aren't that complicated, some people really are shitty.

It's not an excuse. It is one of the root causes though.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Kids have no real third spaces.

They're seen as hostile in most public spaces.

Movies are too expensive. Skate rinks are gone, etc. Schooling in the states is just about testing.

The tough on crime sociopaths just looks at the sympton and not the disease.

I'm not saying these kids don't deserve any punishment. They do. But we've failed them as well.

Oct 30, 2022
London

Movies are too expensive. Skate rinks are gone, etc. Schooling in the states is just about testing.

I'm not saying these kids don't deserve any punishment. They do. But we've failed them as well.

Would add social media in any form also drives violent behaviors. Seeing others with fancy lifestyles constantly in your face can break you.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit like this is exactly what "tough on crime" conservatives dream about for their election campaigns.

And the "we need compassion for the perpetrators also" stuff too.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't like those threads a while back or people were stealing from Walgreens or stealing things to sell to pay for things. This is just random acts of violence. If someone is stealing because they are starving have at itmy guy do what you Gotta do.

But this? I don't have sympathy or empathy for this behavior, and I don't know why I should. My only concern here is with the victims and preventing this from happening again.

How do we prevent it though? Hell if I know I'm interested to read through this thread and learn from those that know more than I do. I do know the answer is sure as hell not more cops.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Weird, I remember people on this forum saying this stuff wouldn't happen once Boudin was out
Yep I remember that too. I'm sure they'll pop into way in though. Tough on crime baby!

There are quite a few users that I've learned a lot from in previous threads about San Francisco and different ways to approach thinking about and treating crime that I'm interested to see their thoughts on this. This form is really shifted how I look at crime, justice, and incarceration and in a good way.

Deleted member 36105

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
What the heck, this crap is happening in the States too? We have a 23 years old in coma / crippled for life since 2021 when minors ganged on him (europe, I will avoid giving more details because I just don't want people googling more gruesome stuff). Theft was secondary, they just wanted the violence and internet popularity of having proof and sharing it.

I don't know what to say. When I read it "Cops are not the solution" I see that as the violence just being shifted to places not being policed (a bandaid measure not tackling the root causes). Last time that happened in a train station the security was heightened, but the violence just moved to other places. What worries me is how social media tends to work both as an incentive, ans as a risk of others replicating this behaviour.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
Random acts of youth violence have been happening in the Boston area as well. (gangs of kids as young as 13-14 randomly attacking people on the street.) It has to be a social media thing, along with the other social-economic stresses. It's nuts.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Shit like this is exactly what "tough on crime" conservatives dream about for their election campaigns.

So put them in a system that makes them worse?

Because all the studies with have on our prison system says that.

They join prison gangs, don't learn marketable skills, can't get jobs, wash, rinse, repeat.

There's been a lot of talk of the crisis with young men of late. But honestly, it's lip service because we still use these very outdated frameworks of punishment.

We can walk and chew gum at the same time. And yes, there should be some discipline here. But if you can't see the bigger picture here, that's on you.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So put them in a system that makes them worse?

Because all the studies with have on our prison system says that.

They join prison gangs, don't learn marketable skills, can't get jobs, wash, rinse, repeat.

There's been a lot of talk of the crisis with young men of late. But honestly, it's lip service because we still use these very outdated frameworks of punishment.

We can walk and chew gum at the same time. And yes, there should be some discipline here. But if you can't see the bigger picture here, that's on you.
I didn't say that's a good thing. Just that the the shitty truth is this is the stuff that pushes voters towards emotional not logical decisions. And it sucks.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I will say people saying focus on the victims and pushing back against societal issues in the post are off mark. While infuriating the whole article is about how to stop this. Not focusing on the causes and solutions; be it the rise in hate crimes, larger societal issues that create this environment of chaos just for chaos's sake, or a sharp uptick in organized theft...is how we got here in the first place.

We already tried putting everyone in jail and guns are everywhere even in cities where they are illegal on both sides of the equation so what's next.

Jan 18, 2018
Era community always fails to have nuanced conversations about things like this. Them performative "left" views go out the window everytime.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't say that's a good thing. Just that the the shitty truth is this is the stuff that pushes voters towards emotional not logical decisions. And it sucks.
Even when voters of DC made logical decisions, Congress and Biden decided to emotionally override their votes to not look "soft on crime".

I will say people saying focus on the victims and pushing back against societal issues in the post are off mark. While infuriating the whole article is about how to stop this. Not focusing on the causes and solutions; be it the rise in hate crimes, larger societal issues that create this environment of chaos just for chaos's sake, or a sharp uptick in organized theft...is how we got here in the first place.

We already tried putting everyone in jail and guns are everywhere even in cities where they are illegal on both sides of the equation so what's next.
Yup.

docannon

Oct 28, 2017
Random acts of youth violence have been happening in the Boston area as well. (gangs of kids as young as 13-14 randomly attacking people on the street.) It has to be a social media thing, along with the other social-economic stresses. It's nuts.
This has been brewing in Philly since at least 2011, with the city enforcing city-wide curfews at times. Unfortunately, it has continued to escalate in recent times and some stores have begun closing during the hours that schools let out. Crazy to think many Wawas now close 3:00-6:00 just because of the unruliness…

bshark

Banned
Jun 25, 2018
Visited a client in San Francisco last month. Witnessed 2 brawls and a break-in during broad daylight, and plenty of homeless. You couldn't pay me to live there.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

The problem is nobody cares about these kids.

Not to dig up old 2020 primary bullshit, but perhaps one of the more heartbreaking moments of the primary to me was the reaction on the left to Kamala Harris' proposal to expand funding to public schools on the condition the expand after school programs to 6PM:

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) is addressing the afterschool care burden head on, with a new bill seeking to remedy the situation. Less than half of all grade schools (and fewer than one-third of low-income institutions) offer working parents after-school care so their children are looked after until the work day comes to a close.
…

"Seventy-five percent of mothers of school-age children are working, and we need to come to terms with this reality," Catherine Brown, a researcher at the Center for American Progress, said. Brown's findings were crucial data to the creation of Harris's bill.

Harris believes that "aligning school and work schedules is an economic growth and child development strategy." She'd like to create a pilot program that would distribute money to 500 schools serving a high population of low-income families. The money would be earmarked to develop a better school schedule, one more aligned with the work schedule of its parents. The schools involved would each receive up to $5 million over the course of five years to stay open 8 a.m to 6 p.m., without any closings save weekends, emergencies and federal holidays.

The rising cost of living in the US, compounded by the decades long stagnation in wages has created an environment where parents are working longer and longer hours. The erosion of social programs in this country, compounded by the social shift away from religious institutions (that previously filled this role) and other forms of communal caregiving has created a situation where not only do these kids have nowhere to go when they're not in school, it's actually much worse: these kids have nowhere to go, and nobody wants them. This is a reality that we have known about since I was a child, and here we had a major candidate, a former successful progressive DA and prosecutor for the Bay Area (hmmm, I wonder if this informed her insight at all), proposing major legislation that was laser targeted at helping these kids and not just throwing more cops at them…and the reaction on the left was to laugh at her for it, criticize the legislation for not being an out-of-the-box perfect solution (when is it ever?), or twisted the intent of the legislation to claim it would put more burden on teachers (the legislation addressed this; it didn't).

Seriously, read the thread on this legislation that floated around on Era at the time. In hindsight, it's incredibly sad.

This isn't intended to be a gotcha or an 11th hour defense of Kamala Harris. The intent here is to point out that when it comes to these kids, the lack of supervision, the lack of care….we know what the problems are. We know what the solutions are. What can we do about this? is the wrong question, because we already know the answer: a lot. There's a lot we could do.

The right question to ask is what are we willing to do? And the answer to that is fucking tragic.

And it just really sucks to watch the cycle perpetuate over and fucking over again. Because when you operate in these communities, when you have a window into these kids' lives…for every horrific instance of violence and neglect that makes it to national news like what we see here, you see the dozen steps that could have been taken. The dozen ways we as a pubic could have intervened. The signs we could have paid attention to, the funding we could have voted for, the issues we could have prioritized.

And then you realize that nobody cares. Because people in this country do not care about kids until they can be scapegoated or used for tax credits. And until we deal with that? Won't none of this shit change. The consequences of our collective neglect will build up to these horrific tragedies. People will rightfully and understandably be made afraid. The "More Cops!" button will get pushed. The cycle will repeat.

And I'm just so fucking tired and sad.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
^bingo bingo. we can help the victim too. Throwing the books at the kids is just going to have them commit worse when they come out in 4 years when we know and have the means to solve these problems.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
^bingo bingo. we can help the victim too. Throwing the books at the kids is just going to have them commit worse when they come out in 4 years when we know and have the means to solve these problems.
The frustrating reality though is voters do not want to help them though. So what can be done when "Fuck them kids throw em in prison" is the mainstream? I remember seeing some polling that said that a number of Asian voters are swinging conservative and it was floated shit like this is pushing them that way, and I'm just wondering what the way to stop that shift is.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

Yeah, shit like this is what causes Asian Americans to feel ignored and to move away from voting Democratic and turn more to the right.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all fall for the media's bullshit race war angle and claim to be progressive.
Looks like a group of black kids targeting an Asian guy.

Which has been happening since the pandemic. Almost like there's a rise in Asian hate crimes or something that people ignore.
Black kids have been targeting Asians since the pandemic? You say this with what proof?
Era community always fails to have nuanced conversations about things like this. Them performative "left" views go out the window everytime.
That's because they are deathly afraid of Black teens.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Yeah, shit like this is what causes Asian Americans to feel ignored and to move away from voting Democratic and turn more to the right.

Yeah, but again solutions: Asian hate in America is as American as cheeseburgers: glass ceilings, terrible media representation, and neatly fits into nationalistic narratives as foreigners when needed from interment camps to who to blame for lockdowns.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that while the perpetrators of Asian hate in 2023 come in all shapes colored and ideological spaces; we can lay the uptick at the feet of rightwing media and a racist president. So their punishment for helping create this terribly angry environment you're telling me…is more Asian votes.

And that's carving out very specific hate crimes, we can do the math down the line from mental illness issues, to community disenfranchisement to who lives in high crime areas. We vote in a party and want magic solutions to problems that took decades, sometime centuries, to create in two months before we say they failed.

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean Black people been lynched and jumped for most of last century, they didn't use that as an excuse to vote for white supremacists, segregationists and fascists.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
It's a tricky.

But we can chew gun and walk at the same time.

Yes, public safety needs to increase. But what are police doing? There's been a soft strike since George Floyd.

Tier 1 cities spend billions on public safety. Why can't they stop these? What about rethinking public safety?

So what's the solution here? More cops, even though we spend billions on them.

Why aren't we putting the blame on those that entire job and reason for being is public safety! They're literally being outsmarted by teens. It's pathetic.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Not to dig up old 2020 primary bullshit, but perhaps one of the more heartbreaking moments of the primary to me was the reaction on the left to Kamala Harris' proposal to expand funding to public schools on the condition the expand after school programs to 6PM:

The rising cost of living in the US, compounded by the decades long stagnation in wages has created an environment where parents are working longer and longer hours. The erosion of social programs in this country, compounded by the social shift away from religious institutions (that previously filled this role) and other forms of communal caregiving has created a situation where not only do these kids have nowhere to go when they're not in school, it's actually much worse: these kids have nowhere to go, and nobody wants them. This is a reality that we have known about since I was a child, and here we had a major candidate, a former successful progressive DA and prosecutor for the Bay Area (hmmm, I wonder if this informed her insight at all), proposing major legislation that was laser targeted at helping these kids and not just throwing more cops at them…and the reaction on the left was to laugh at her for it, criticize the legislation for not being an out-of-the-box perfect solution (when is it ever?), or twisted the intent of the legislation to claim it would put more burden on teachers (the legislation addressed this; it didn't).

Seriously, read the thread on this legislation that floated around on Era at the time. In hindsight, it's incredibly sad.

This isn't intended to be a gotcha or an 11th hour defense of Kamala Harris. The intent here is to point out that when it comes to these kids, the lack of supervision, the lack of care….we know what the problems are. We know what the solutions are. What can we do about this? is the wrong question, because we already know the answer: a lot. There's a lot we could do.

The right question to ask is what are we willing to do? And the answer to that is fucking tragic.

And it just really sucks to watch the cycle perpetuate over and fucking over again. Because when you operate in these communities, when you have a window into these kids' lives…for every horrific instance of violence and neglect that makes it to national news like what we see here, you see the dozen steps that could have been taken. The dozen ways we as a pubic could have intervened. The signs we could have paid attention to, the funding we could have voted for, the issues we could have prioritized.

And then you realize that nobody cares. Because people in this country do not care about kids until they can be scapegoated or used for tax credits. And until we deal with that? Won't none of this shit change. The consequences of our collective neglect will build up to these horrific tragedies. People will rightfully and understandably be made afraid. The "More Cops!" button will get pushed. The cycle will repeat.

Very well said

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

It's honestly a good idea, so long as it's not going to be another one of those things that gets pushed off on the teachers.

And as for the other issue, look at any thread about the effect of the pandemic on kids and you'd be shocked at how little people actually care about them.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

Yeah like where are the healthy spaces kids today can engage in to help build them up and become awesome people? The people young men (willing to bet this was mostly young men anyways looking at the video) turn to to build them up are people like Andrew Tate or other toxic people. It feels like we have thrown the kids to the wind. A lot of learnings you would get from your parents but parents are struggling just to keep a roof over their head and food on the table. And teachers, forget about it, they have not enough resources and are also severely underpaid.

Teusery

May 18, 2022
Looks like a group of black kids targeting an Asian guy.

Which has been happening since the pandemic. Almost like there's a rise in Asian hate crimes or something that people ignore.

Anti-Asian hate crimes did increase during the pandemic (I don't think most sane people ignore this either? Stop Asian Hate has been a thing for a while AFAIK), but there was also a push on social media to make it look like it was primarily black people committing the majority of hate crimes. In reality it was/is/has always been white people:

8. The majority of perpetrators in anti-Asian hate crimes and hate incidents
identified as white, though data are often missing on race of perpetrator

• Viral videos featuring Black perpetrators have been circulating on social media. It is critical to contextualize social media and news coverage of such incidents as research shows that the media and crime news overreport and overrepresent Black suspects.
  • Official law enforcement statistics compiled by Dr. Yan Zhang and colleagues in a study published in 2021 show that compared to the proportion of offenders in anti-Black and anti-Latinx hate crimes the proportion of offenders in violent anti-Asian hate crimes are more likely to be non-white, but that 75% of offenders in anti-Asian hate crimes are white. These data were from 1992-2014.
Systematic analysis of media reports of contemporary anti-Asian incidents by the University of Michigan Virulent Hate Project shows that the majority of perpetrators are identified as male and white in upwards of 75% of news stories when the perpetrator's race is known in physical or verbal assaults/harassment.

Source:
Beyond the Headlines: Review of National Anti-Asian Hate Incident Reporting/Data Collection Published over 2019-2021

Prepared by Dr. Janelle Wong, Asian American Studies Program, University of Maryland

Whether or not you were aware of this, your post's wording feeds into the same race war narrative that a lot of right wing types try to push.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Round1 is planning to open a location in Stonestown. It's about 10 minutes from my wife's family's house. There are no details on when it will open, but if I had to guess, maybe sometime next year? https://www.round1usa.com/locations

For anyone who has written off arcades and doesn't know what that is: it's a large amusement center. The latest Japanese arcade games, plenty of redemption games, plus bowling, pool, karaoke, and food. Cheap beer. If you are a fan of Bemani and other rhythm games like I am, this place is like heaven on earth.

Hopefully this will give some of these kids something to do. DanceDanceRevolution is a much better hobby than attacking random people.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
It's honestly a good idea, so long as it's not going to be another one of those things that gets pushed off on the teachers.

Yeah, to be fair, there were good faith critiques of Harris' proposal at the time — largely centered on whether or not the 5 million over 5 years would be enough funding to make a substantial impact, and what oversight there would be to ensure schools used the funds as intended. It wasn't perfect legislation. But it was praised as an important first step in addressing the rising issue of childcare failing to meet the needs and realities of poor and working families.

Still, the extent to which the very idea was thrown out as something worth prioritizing was sad. And again I'm talking about the left here; we already know what the right thinks about kids and their very existence. But we see these instances of what can happen when we have generations of kids unsupervised, with no safe spaces, essentially being raised by social media algorithms, and we wait until it's too late to say "…well what could we have done about this?"

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Most kids aren't developed enough mentally or socially to have free reign when school gets out. And like Kamala Harris and a thousand other people have pointed out their parents are often working 2-3 hours longer than their kids are in school. And that's not even taking into account all of the breaks throughout the school year.

Most of our social safety nets have disappeared or collapsed. Not only is this a big reason why fewer people want kids, it's also a huge driver of juvenile delinquency. We've run our society as if one parent stays home to look after the kids while ignoring that this hasn't been reality for 40 plus fucking years. I'm sick of the idiotic bullshit being spread by the media, politicians, and selfish pieces of shit all over the place. This is a solvable issue IF we lived in a country worth a damn. We don't, so this is the result.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
This is a great post honestly. It's so tiring repeatedly seeing people either not care about issues like this or want to jump to really authoritarian "solutions". Or the refusal of non perfect solutions that are possible right now allowing conditions to slide even further. Really hope people get a clue and work together to improve things soon.

An imperfect solution is better than no solution.

All solutions are imperfect. If that's your excuse for refusing to act you're either a moron or you don't actually care about solving the problem.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
This is a great post honestly. It's so tiring repeatedly seeing people either not care about issues like this or want to jump to really authoritarian "solutions". Or the refusal of non perfect solutions that are possible right now allowing conditions to slide even further. Really hope people get a clue and work together to improve things soon.

An imperfect solution is better than no solution.

Yup. You can't let perfect be the enemy of good. Too often we see people waiting for some ideologically perfect solution, or authoritarian one so in the meantime we just do…nothing. Same conversation in health care "yeah our health care system sucks but look at Canada's wait times!." So you admit our system is bad and we should… try nothing different. Cool.

All solutions are imperfect. If that's your excuse for refusing to act you're either a moron or you don't actually care about solving the problem.

I don't think that was what they were saying. At least I didn't read it that way.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
All solutions are imperfect. It's that your excuse for refusing to ac you're either a moron or you don't actually care about solving the problem.

I definitely wasn't calling that poster out, not at all. I was calling out the people who do nothing but complain about the people actually trying to make things better because their ideas aren't perfect solutions.
Oh gosh. I thought you were replying to them directly with that. I'm right there with you then :). Sorry!

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
The kids are obviously aren't alright. And many people have touched on good reasons why. They act and reflect on the society they've been placed in. There's also that video/incident out of NYC last night.

View: https://youtu.be/demDkJwVZjs

www.google.com

Teen with autism beaten, called racial slurs on subway; video posted on social media

A video of him being beaten was shared to social media - and is difficult for anyone, especially the boy's mother to watch.

But it's sadly nothing new. Just more visible now that social media and phones are so ubiquitous.

Also any fellow Asians using this as justification for people going right or whatever can get fucked. Wtf?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Is this a school vs school thing? Are they from the same school? Neighbourhood vs neighbourhood? Race vs race? Are these attacks random? Do these kids know each other? Is it for online clout? Is it a "trend"? Is it gang related? Is it Covid propaganda related?
Reminds me when my old high school got in fights with the rival high schools at pizza joints or a nearby park. Could be that and everyone else is in the crossfire because kids are assholes.