Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
i made the sickos "yes" face like a third of the way in as i correctly guessed where he was (correctly) going with this

ArcticWolf

Nov 29, 2022
Ha, love this! It's a stance I really enjoy to take because it shows how curious the beginnings of the FPS genre are and it's such a perfect "yeah but..." moment that grinds like sandpaper against genre & sub-genre purists. The two genres many today see as polar opposites of dude-bro and turbo-nerd fooled around when they were younger, you know how college is.

Here's another fun one not mentioned: In 1986 the BBC Micro had a game (unfortunately named) Cholo, it was a bizzare hybrid of RPG, FPS, tank sim, GTA-style game and some elements of Imsim. It has a remake by way of Ovine by Design which is worth trying out.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_xVR1LFVmQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHn8xLCcU8Q

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of people not watching the video.

Honestly, I think the video is right. If it hadn't caught on like it did, it would totally be remembered as an action RPG.
When I was a kid I think I thought of it more as a horror game, so maybe a sci-fi horror action RPG.

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
It's a good single player fps game. It's also the only one of that genre in like 20 years. And no, dont say titanfall. You convinced me to play it and i did and i couldnt believe how overrated it was. It was cod with better movement, had a really cool level and every titan section was shit, especially when you're fighting other titans.

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
Having watched the video I don't necessarily agree with the conclusion. The answer I would argue is that it's fundamentally the same question as whether the chicken or egg came first. The answer of course is that the egg came first, and the animal that laid the first chicken egg wasn't a chicken but instead a precursor to modern chickens.

Doom isn't an action RPG, but the games that birthed it so to speak were. It's a very interesting question though, at what point does something stop being one thing and become something else entirely. As the video shows, Doom clearly retains a lot of the features of its RPG predecessors, but it's ultimately the point of divergence where First Person Shooters break off into being their own thing (Though honestly I'd argue that was really Wolfenstein 3D).

Last edited:

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Guys, the question isn't "what genre IS DOOM", it's "what genre WAS DOOM when it was released before the term FPS was coined".

When it came out, it didn't have a genre name. So you had to categorize it as close as you could to whatever already existed. I don't remember FPS actually being used until around Halo, if not Goldeneye. At least not personally.

Psysok

Sep 30, 2018
Doom is not an RPG. It does not have RPG elements. It is an action game. I also reject gauntlet being an RPG. It is an arcade action game. Just because there are display similarities with first person dungeon crawlers and doom does not mean it is the same genre because those attributes are not what defines the genre.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Point and click adventure game.

You point at demons, click on them, and go on an adventure.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Backseat driving but "what genre was DOOM?" is the more interesting question and satisfies what the video is about in regards to genre naming and history.

Also imagine if "3D first person action games" caught on. First-person shoot-em-up could definitely have caught on. I think the longest genre name is point-and-click adventure?

It's funny to see Charlie Brooker in a buzz cut arguing about videogames.
HfIvJT.jpeg

Last edited:

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Without watching obviously it was Doom-clone just like Rogue is roguelike.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I think I personally just called these type of games shooters or shoot 'em ups back then.

Action RPG is an interesting take. Maybe I'll start calling it that. 🤔

Oct 25, 2017
Doom is not an RPG. It does not have RPG elements. It is an action game. I also reject gauntlet being an RPG. It is an arcade action game. Just because there are display similarities with first person dungeon crawlers and doom does not mean it is the same genre because those attributes are not what defines the genre.

Yup.
This is where I'm at.
He compared it to Gauntlet and I thought "He's absolutely right."
But then he called Gauntlet "Almost definitely an RPG", and I'm not so sure. lol

It's more of an Action-Adventure-Arcade game.