• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Find out who the heada are for this company then create a youtube campaign to harass and harangue them. Make it big. See how quick that shit changes
Sometimes that's literally what it takes considering that twitter was perfectly fine with Alex Jones using their platform to target and spread conspiracy theories about the parents of Sandy Hook victims, (multiple of them had to move due to his content inciting harassment), and insisted that they wouldn't ban him cause "muh fre spech"..... That was until Alex Jones literally went up to harass the CEO of twitter in person. They banned him REALLLL fast after that

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HuffPo has this as their top story. Media attention might be enough to shame Google into doing something. Maybe.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes that's literally what it takes considering that twitter was perfectly fine with Alex Jones using their platform to target the parents of Sandy Hook victims and insisted that they wouldn't ban him cause "muh fre spech"..... That was until Alex Jones literally went up to harass the CEO of twitter in person. They banned him REALLLL fast after that

Yep, its bullshit. All these decisions are made by people that know damn well they will NEVER see the consequences of. My answer? Bring it to their doorsteps, keep it in their faces 24/7. The laws won't help us anymore so its up to us to help one another. No I'm not advocating for violence, just pressure.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Really hope the media attention shames them in to doing the right thing. Issue is at best they'll address Crowder only and while this particular instance is gross and over the line and needs to stop, it's a drop in the bucket. The far larger issue is their inability and really unwillingness to address and enforce their rules. Either at all or just fairly. Youtube seems completely inept and uninterested in addressing the issues with their platform. Like pretty much other major social media platform out there.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the biggest course of action would be to make Google's ad-providers aware of stuff like this.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm not shocked. Both on YouTube, and what I went through on Twitter just a bit ago.

Someone on Twitter (which is something ongoing right now in real life that I don't wanna get into details) posted my last name, making it incredibly easy for people to pin-point my information and my family's more directly, and I tried reporting it to Twitter. Given this is personal information I have chosen not to share on my public Twitter account (besides my First and Middle Name).

They're response?

unknown.png

While I know I'm probably relatively easy to track down, I don't want anymore additional information I have not chosen to share on my Twitter accounts out there. Attempts to report the tweet again, it appears that Twitter has a system that blocks multiple reports from the same account (as I did not get an immediate email like I did at first, and I've since gotten no response), once they've determined that they didn't find the Tweet in violation, meaning I'm literally fucked at doing anything further on this.

Seriously, fuck both YouTube, and Fuck Twitter.

A breakdown on why content like Crowder's causes harassment

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Fine. If we're going to do this again I'm at least going to push this conversation forward.

We take into consideration whether criticism is focused primarily on debating the opinions expressed or is solely malicious. We apply these policies consistently, regardless of how many views a video has.

In videos flagged to YouTube, Crowder has not instructed his viewers to harass Maza on YouTube or any other platform and the main point of these videos was not to harass or threaten, but rather to respond to the opinion.

There is certain behavior that is never ok: that includes encouraging viewers to harass others online and offline, or revealing nonpublic personal information (doxxing).

None of Maza's personal information was ever revealed in content uploaded by Crowder and flagged to our teams for review.

What Crowder does, intentionally or unintentionally, is a form of stochastic terrorism. Expect those words to come up a lot more over the next year because it's basically how the far-right, fascist recruitment, and alt-right are going to operate. He doesn't even say "will someone rid me of this troublesome priest", he just says "here's the preist, here's what he's been saying, what do you think?". Someone doxes, the rest flood with hate.

The problem is, stochastic terrorism has excellent plausible deniability. But when you've been watching fashy dog whistles and code in detail the stuff that Crowder does basically springs your fashy spidey sense immediately. This for instance should be required watching:

How can you tell the difference between stochastic terrorism and lone wolves? Someone who could possibly promote stochastic terrorism will sincerely and loudly deny actions by their fanbase and stop inflammatory behaviour. His 20 minute apology video? That's not sincere. That's baiting. Pewdiepie? Doesn't stop with the stupid nazi shit. This is why these people are influences on people that commit these acts of stochastic terrorism.

Anyway, this is probably going to come up again and again written by people far better than me. But that's the phenomenon in a nutshell.

Oct 25, 2017
These platforms need to be liable for the content they host (publish and promote) and the consequences of that content. It's the only way because they aren't going to do it themselves.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Youtube is such a joke. I would laugh, but they are actively causing damage to human beings by being complacent. Pure garbage money grabbers.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I feel like 2019's trying to see if they can match the disaster that was this year's Black History Month. This is day 5 people!

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Sadly, until people stop believing corporations actually care about users/consumers instead of making more and more money with each passing year and figure out a way of making them accountable for this hurtful shit, it will not stop.

Because corporations do not care about you as long as you make them money. And they will co-opt as many fringe/resistance/underground/counter-culture things to make you believe they really, really do care about you, but they don't. Don't be surprised when billionaire techbros and faceless shareholders/CEOs show a profound lack of empathy disguised as "well, FREE SPEECH IS SACRED" shit, because they literally don't give a fuck unless it makes them money.

As for the fascist trashbag disguised as human that is Crowder... what else can be said that hasn't already been said? They have to deplatform this fucker, but until there's a big enough pushback, they won't.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
These platforms need to be liable for the content they host (publish and promote) and the consequences of that content. It's the only way because they aren't going to do it themselves.
This is an absolutely terrible idea and wouldn't even apply in this case since what Crowder is doing isn't illegal afaik, it's just extremely shitty.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
I would love to be surprised by this at all, but Crowder makes a lot of traffic for YouTube and a big corporation doesn't care about homophobia enough to shut down a revenue stream for themselves. You have capitalism to thank. Surprised they dared to respond and so blatantly defend it, though.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is these tech platforms' terms of service are written too broadly where they can be interpreted to the company's liking. Many tech co's also don't revisit their TOS to update them often enough to keep up with new technologies (see Pelosi video example).

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
The problem is these tech platforms' terms of service are written too broadly where they can be interpreted to the company's liking. Many tech co's also don't revisit their TOS to update them often enough to keep up with new technologies (see Pelosi video example).

Frankly, most terms of services are intentionally designed to be vague so mods/admins can flex in how they implement rules.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
YouTube just banned supremacist content, and thousands of channels are about to be removed

YouTube is changing its community guidelines to ban videos promoting the superiority of any group as a justification for discrimination against others based on their age, gender, race, caste, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, the company said today. The move, which will result in the removal of all videos promoting Nazism and other discriminatory ideologies, is expected to result in the removal of thousands of channels across YouTube.

"The openness of YouTube's platform has helped creativity and access to information thrive," the company said in a blog post. "It's our responsibility to protect that, and prevent our platform from being used to incite hatred, harassment, discrimination and violence."

The changes announced on Wednesday attempt to improve its content moderation in three ways. First, the ban on supremacists will remove Nazis and other extremists who advocate segregation or exclusion based on age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. In addition to those categories, YouTube is adding caste, which has significant implications in India, and "well-documented violent events," such as the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting and 9/11. Users are no longer allowed to post videos saying those events did not happen, YouTube said.

YouTube did not disclose the names of any channels that are expected to be affected by the change. The company declined to comment on a current controversy surrounding my Vox colleague Carlos Maza, who has repeatedly been harassed on the basis of his race and sexual orientation by prominent right-wing commentator Steven Crowder. (After I spoke with the company, it responded to Maza that it plans to take no action against Crowder's channel.)

of course. 🙄

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Friendly reminder that megacorporations are not your friend even if they display a LGBT flag on their site.

In the end, the only thing that matters for them is money.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hey Tim Cook, why not take a stand for your people and remove YouTube from the App Store because of this bullshit? That would send a clear message.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

I expect them to go for the low hanging fruit and the big name channels still get a pass on the "debate me" clause of being able to skirt the rules.

Edit:

YouTube is adding caste, which has significant implications in India, and "well-documented violent events," such as the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting and 9/11. Users are no longer allowed to post videos saying those events did not happen, YouTube said.

The fact that you could do this up until now was disgusting enough.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're not going to ban any of the big ones like Crowder, Ben Shapiro, Prager U, etc., those make too much money for them. The only ones that are gonna get banned are small fries, and I guarantee you, some leftist channels are going to be banned as well. Doubtful that ContraPoints or HBomb will be culled, but I fully expect a couple of the smaller ones there to get axed.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If YouTube can't even enforce its current rules, what makes you think they'd enforce these new ones?
Just add the phrase "unless they have a lot of followers" to every statement in that article.

Oct 25, 2017
This is an absolutely terrible idea and wouldn't even apply in this case since what Crowder is doing isn't illegal afaik, it's just extremely shitty.

Would also be civil too, the journalist should be able to sue YouTube for them affirming the content harassing and encouraging harassment fr his followers. These platforms can filter out content like this like they do ISIS/terror group content and reposting of the Christchurch massacre, yet they choose to keep equally dangerous content like this up.

Would bet this kind of shit gets nipped in the bud if it were the case.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
One of the biggest most blatant white supremasists on Youtube is Stefan Molyneux. If his channel's still up in a few days time they're not even trying to make it look like they're going through with their statement.