• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
So, since the very first moment Ps5 unveiled I thought the Ps5 was not only big, but ugly. I tried to convinced my self, but when my unit arrived on november 19th the fears became true.

I came across this video of a person customizing his own PS5. Maybe you don't personally like what he has achieved (you can change colours and materials), but the point is that the console considerable reduces its footprint and could blend in an actual living room (pic by KojiKnight:

XX74I8e.png

video:

youtu.be

Building a stealthy PlayStation 5...

The PS5 gets a makeover! Also, you can get the AWESOME dbrand DarkPlates at: http://dbrand.com/DIYdarkplatesOFFICIAL LINKS:Support me on Patreon: https://www...

What was Sony's design team thinking when creating the console? I hope a redesign comes sooner than later.

Last edited:

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Dont like the color choices (not a fan of carbon fiber) he made but thats awseome and I would pay more to have that right now over the current machine

Last edited:

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Original looks better and is a money design. This forum has proven it's mostly wrong on fashion and design.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Original looks better and is a money design. This forum has proven it's mostly wrong on fashion and design.
In most cases I agree with you about ERA's thoughts on fashion and design but nah the PS5 design is fr cheeks you buggin fr.

On that note though, his redesign isn't much better to be real.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Tragic news today as man dies in a housefire caused by hand made wooden PS5

Joking of course.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
PS5 design is fine. His remake is ok but it's a bit 1970's sideboard imo. Also, not everyone has the same furniture. My PS5 fits right in with my tastes.

E2F89zwWYAEuK3n

Last edited:

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Cool, he took away easy access to USB ports and probably made sure it'll overheat in an hour.

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
I was once gifted a cribbage set that looked similar. I like the original's inverse penguin look better.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Nice, he even could "squezze" the PS5 in some small drawer compartment.

Maybe they designed the PS5 this big so that people don't come up with such an idea, lol.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for smaller form factor (I own an SFF PC), but I've always been of the opinion that the PS5 DE is a beautiful and unique console design. Well that and the fact that the Youtuber above pretty much made a larger Mac Mini lol.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
What was Sony's design team thinking when creating the console? I hope a redesign comes sooner than later.

They were thinking of creating an interesting design. Which even the author of the video you posted agrees with, saying that he personally likes it. I think PS5 looks interesting and it certainly grows on you.

Also - don't hold your breath for the redesign. There is a chance the redesign will be PlayStation 6.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
His design is horribly ugly, IMO.

But the dbrand accessories that the video is an ad for are dope.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That would be right at home next to the TV I just saw in an old home video from 1992

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
You people saying the original design looks better are nuts. I'm not a fan of the carbon fiber top, but it's still leagues better than Seto Kaiba judging me from the outside of my entertainment center.

SetoKaiba-DULI.png

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017

The PS5 design doesn't fit into any interior home design. Place it in any room and it will stick out like a sore thumb, unless you are actually living in a space ship, then maybe not.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018

The overlap between people that like the PS5 design, and has a good sense of fashion/style is nonexistent. Although I agree that the redesign in the video isn't that pretty either.

neemmss

Oct 27, 2017
That's very impressive and I commend the effort and ability for him to do this, but it looks worse than the PS5 IMO.

OP
OP

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
You people saying the original design looks better are nuts. I'm not a fan of the carbon fiber top, but it's still leagues better than Seto Kaiba judging me from the outside of my entertainment center.

SetoKaiba-DULI.png

Yeah, even though I'm not a fan of the modified version, it still looks miles better than OG, which is just huge and dreadul. Aesthetically terrible

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
That doesn't look too good, OP. Not a fan, plus the DE looks really good because of its symmetry.
The overlap between people that like the PS5 design, and has a good sense of fashion/style is nonexistent. Although I agree that the redesign in the video isn't that pretty either.
There are exceptions, hello 🙋🏻‍♂️

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the retro design but I'm glad people are starting to mod the design instead of just color swaps.

The wings are ugly as fuck.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Didn't care for the carbon fiber stuff but otherwise like it. Has a bit of an old radio vibe to it. Nice to see people getting creative with this stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Replace the wood grain and carbon fibre with something more slick, maybe lower the feet and it's a good design. I would want to check the temperatures, though.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What was Sony's design team thinking when creating the console?
Raw materials, supply chains, assembly lines, efficiency, robustness, longevity, costs. Than appearance lol

I like the video, but PC modding could help to find fancier ideas.

Also faceplates are easy to remove and custom, with a paint or a cover chosen properly (not corrosive for the plastic, heat resistant).