• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Plastic has a lower melting temp than wood ignition by about almost half, and an even lower warping temp. I don't think the wood is a fire hazard...

Also, taste is subjective and all that jazz but the original PS5 is one of the most hideous looking consumer electronics ever. It's not even
50s spaceship sci-fi cool looking. Maybe if it was chrome. It just looks like a crazy irregular shaped blob of plastic that will be a royal pain to dust.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
That is a neat looking custom design, but a cluster of holes anywhere makes me kinda uncomfortable. It's part of the reason why I don't really dig the Xbox Series designs.

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
all this video made me want is my dark plates i ordered this month :(

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
That was quite creative. I would have liked just decent strength plastic or maybe aluminum vs wood, but it's fine.

The thermal approach was also well thought out. I would take this design vs vanilla any time. Of course not of DE but disk based system.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I love wood in furniture and electronics, but it's still not that good - The carbon fiber and the wood clash, the huge holes on the top are kinds of weird...
It's leagues better than the original abomination - But that's not saying much.

Oct 27, 2017
So, since the very first moment Ps5 unveiled I thought the Ps5 was not only big, but ugly. I tried to convinced my self, but when my unit arrived on november 19th the fears became true.

I came across this video of a person customizing his own PS5. Maybe you don't personally like what he has achieved (you can change colours and materials), but the point is that the console considerable reduces its footprint and could blend in an actual living room (pic by KojiKnight:

video:

youtu.be

Building a stealthy PlayStation 5...

The PS5 gets a makeover! Also, you can get the AWESOME dbrand DarkPlates at: http://dbrand.com/DIYdarkplatesOFFICIAL LINKS:Support me on Patreon: https://www...

What was Sony's design team thinking when creating the console? I hope a redesign comes sooner than later.

dude knows his shit... love it all but the front cover sticking out when the controller or something is in the usb slot ortherwise it looks amazing he could sale it for 3k or something lol shame you need a ps5 a 20k worth of tools lol

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I like the antique look of it. But I also really, really don't like the original PS5 design so almost anything is better. It looks like the most awkward hunk to the point that you will almost require a new entertainment center to fit it as it was aesthetically designed. My friend had to lay his down on it's side and it looks incredibly awkward.

I think the two textures work pretty well being separated to different faces. The carbon bit in the front looks awkward though.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
Feels like the disagreements on the design come down to, do you want it to stand out or do you not want it to stand out.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
would prefer the vanilla ps5de look to this hundred times over. not even sure if it got any smaller lol.

those dbrand plates on the other hand, definitely got me interested.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Don't like the wood, but I like it a lot more than the original design. Wonder how it would look if he incorporated the disc drive into the design.