F34R

Oct 27, 2017
He fixes it while taking jab after jab at Apple. That's the gist of the entire video. If you wanna hear his jabs, go for it. Otherwise, it was a waste of time. Don't forget the obligatory adverts. lol

--- edit ---
That's how I FEEL about it personally.

Last edited:

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
He fixes it while taking jab after jab at Apple. That's the gist of the entire video. If you wanna hear his jabs, go for it. Otherwise, it was a waste of time. Don't forget the obligatory adverts. lol
That's a little reductionist. He takes plenty of time to demonstrate what likely went wrong, where it went wrong, why Apple potentially designed it that way, how they had to go about fixing it, and responding to the Apple fanboy comments that were swarming the first two videos. To say "it's just them fixing it while taking jabs at Apple" breezes over the actual interesting discussion they're having about Apple's intentions with design, the flaws that come with it, and the anti-consumer practices they follow that don't allow people to fix their own stuff.

Zapperino

Oct 28, 2017
I watched the video, I actually didn't know how dangerous exposed PSUs are.
What's the thing about profiles that he mentions at the end?

Last edited:

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
I learned a bunch of more stuff than that. For instance, the FUCKING PSU IS UNSHIELDED AND EXPOSED! Holy shit they gave zero shits about repair-ability over thinness...

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
That's a little reductionist. He takes plenty of time to demonstrate what likely went wrong, where it went wrong, why Apple potentially designed it that way, how they had to go about fixing it, and responding to the Apple fanboy comments that were swarming the first two videos. To say "it's just them fixing it while taking jabs at Apple" breezes over the actual interesting discussion they're having about Apple's intentions with design, the flaws that come with it, and the anti-consumer practices they follow that don't allow people to fix their own stuff.

Reductionist indeed.

Just the cooler system design of the thing make it so that you'd need to dust it off at some point. If you don't remove the screen to access the board, you just can't do anything worthwhile to clean it off. So, after a few years of use, the iMac will throttle due to a clogged ventilation system and the only way to fix that would be to bring it to an apple store who will probably try to pretend it's not just dust and makes you pay extra. Yay.

All the jabs were deserved.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see another Linus/Rossman team-up video, which unlike the last one was not about showcasing how wrong Linus was

That exposed PSU is something else. I guess authorized technicians will need the same training I remember them needing to service the old CRT all-in-one macs, just as deadly, but at least there it was pretty clearly something you don't take opening up lightly.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017

How was this a waste of time at all? Its highly informative and goes into deep detail over the assembly.

There were hardly any jabs at apple either. The ones that are in there are well deserved given the asinine amount of shit they had to go through to get to this point.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who thinks this video was full of jabs at Apple clearly hasn't seen Rossman's channel, which makes this look like a glowing recommendation of their hardware. And Rossman does that while still being incredibly informative about the design/construction of modern laptops as well as the cause of their failures. Watching him diagnose a simple broken touchpad is a thing of beauty (if you're a huge nerd like me anyway)

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who thinks this video was full of jabs at Apple clearly hasn't seen Rossman's channel, which makes this look like a glowing recommendation of their hardware. And Rossman does that while still being incredibly informative about the design/construction of modern laptops as well as the cause of their failures. Watching him diagnose a simple broken touchpad is a thing of beauty (if you're a huge nerd like me anyway)
Yup, as a tech myself, I've learned a lot from the dude. His channel is hilarious and this team-up was the sheeeeit. Can't believe the PSU is unshielded lmfao Luckily I know about the dangers of capacitors mostly from opening guitar amps and rear-projection TVs. (ouchies)

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I gave my opinion on how the video was for ME. Nothing they did in that was interesting for ME at all. I could watch iFixit videos instead. I watched it because I didn't want to make comments without actually watching it.
You really have a hateboner for this guy
Only in this case. I've watched countless of his other videos without issue.
How was this a waste of time at all? Its highly informative and goes into deep detail over the assembly.

There were hardly any jabs at apple either. The ones that are in there are well deserved given the asinine amount of shit they had to go through to get to this point.
It was a waste of my time because there wasn't anything in the video that brought anything important for me. I mean, if you make a comment on a video and how interesting and informative it was, does that make it the be all end all of how others should feel about the same video? I don't think so. This isn't the "only comment if you feel the exact same way as everyone else" forum.

Sorry if ya'll don't like other opinions.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The whole point of the video is to show that it's not some kind of magic box forged in the fires of Mount Doom that only Apple trained wizards know how to fix. It's... literally just a PC. lol

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK

--- edit ---
It's super interesting, and he says a lot of nice things.
The design inside is super fun to see and them putting it together is well worth watching

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017

--- edit ---
Could brine a whole hog with that much salt

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
That was legit really interesting. But holy crap the exposed PSU capacitors. I wasn't even thinking of how crazy dangerous those would be until they mentioned it.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I'm teaching myself basic electronics watching Rossmann's videos and I was already familiar enough with old school monitors to know that unshielded caps/PSUs are BAD NEWS. Just the zap from discharging an arcade CRT will scare you silly.

It's one thing that Apple doesn't want their customers to open their computers, and another one that doing such could endanger their lives.

Apple seems to operate under the strong belief that nobody but them should play doctor with their hardware.

Last edited:

aisback

Oct 27, 2017

I believe Apple is aware of his channel and tried to make him take videos down before

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
...WHY THE FUCK IS THE PSU UNSHIELDED?

wtf

like what the actual flying fuck

indask8

Oct 28, 2017
With that exposed PSU, looks like Apple are going too far in their quest for thinness and design...

At first they removed features and user upgradability, now they are removing basic safety.

trinest

Oct 28, 2017
I like how this thread is people realising the PSU is unshielded, like that's been a "feature" for years.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I believe Apple is aware of his channel and tried to make him take videos down before

Apple is probably the staunchest anti-right to repair group that exists. I think they see it as their business model improved in three ways for them : making repair have to go through their (expensive) channels, selling pricey AppleCare, and preventing as much as possible extension of useful life/capabilities of their products (leading to the need to buy newer models more often). Of course this leads to additional e-waste.

Hopefully, there is some real traction with the legal side of this that enables things like :

Available documentation on assembly

Available diagnostics

Available parts channels with no BS

Etc

But, I doubt it. As bad as Apple is, it's something more common with Smartphones in particular, but it's galling to see the same disposable locked up philosophy in actual computers, ESPECIALLY 'Pro' stuff that is really expensive.

Take this iMac that Linus has. It should have an access panel that doesn't require removing the damn display to get to the CPU socket, ram slots, and fans.

Oct 26, 2017
I like how this thread is people realising the PSU is unshielded, like that's been a "feature" for years.

But why though?
How much weight/space/cost does it add to have a thin, grounded cover over the PSU?

If I understand correctly it may have even prevented some of the damage caused to this machine when the screen was originally removed.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
But why though?
How much weight/space/cost does it add to have a thin, grounded cover over the PSU?

If I understand correctly it may have even prevented some of the damage caused to this machine when the screen was originally removed.
I don't know, but on the list of Apples internal priorities, "making things easier for people taking our computers apart" is probably next to dinosaur bones.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
Everyone loosing their shit about an exposed PSU, have you looked inside the original Xbox? This is not new, and will continue to be done, when the manufacturer is designing a product that is not meant to be serviced by consumers.

Oct 28, 2017
This whole thing is a debacle (for Linus) and isn't even a realistic scenario. If I'm Weta Digital and I'm buying a bunch of iMac Pros, and one breaks, guess what I'm not doing? I'm not opening it. I'm sending it back to Apple for a replacement. And I will get a replacement (typically) no questions asked.

The scenario Linus has crafted since the iMac Pro was damaged is completely unrealistic for the 99.9% of iMac Pro owners. No one who buys an iMac Pro is going to tinker with the innards. No one expects it to be upgradeable.

And to the other guy with Linus, the guy who has a serious hate on for Apple, does he really believe that iMacs stop working after 3 years? That dust adds 30ºC to the GPU? Even Linus had to step him back a few times. That guy is a clown, which means he's perfect for Linus' farcical upgradability circus.

Nov 2, 2017
Den Haag, Netherlands
And to the other guy with Linus, the guy who has a serious hate on for Apple, does he really believe that iMacs stop working after 3 years? That dust adds 30ºC to the GPU? Even Linus had to step him back a few times. That guy is a clown, which means he's perfect for Linus' farcical upgradability circus.
The guy is a licensed repairman of Apple products sooooo, yeah. His whole channel is dedicated to repairing Apple devices.

I would take his opinion on these matters over a random poster on the internet.

Oct 28, 2017
The guy is a licensed repairman of Apple products sooooo, yeah. His whole channel is dedicated to repairing Apple devices.

I would take his opinion on these matters over a random poster on the internet.
Didn't know that. But just because he's a licensed repairman doesn't mean he can't spout nonsense. I'd like to see any kind of evidence that dust after 3 years in an iMac adds 30ºC to the GPU. There's many other nuggets of nonsense he says throughout that entire video. Again, multiple times Linus interjected with "well actually" or "well to be fair".