Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ they still haven't fixed it?

You're still gonna make a bomb in profit even just replacing the screen. Don't be so stingy

You're gutted - it isn't covered under warranty, but surely Apple will replace the screen for less than the price of replacing the entire machine?
To be Fair.. warranty doesn't cover intentional damage either

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ they still haven't fixed it?

You're still gonna make a bomb in profit even just replacing the screen. Don't be so stingy

To be Fair.. warranty doesn't cover intentional damage either

sure - you know it isn't covered is the basic point. So you know you'll have a hefty repair bill, but you expect there to BE a repair bill, not just a shrug of the shoulders

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
None of these topics are about warranty. Linus has repeatedly stated that he's not looking for warranty service for a free repair.

The point is that there should be SOME path to repair, especially for a $5000 professional level piece of tech.

If a machine is broken, it should be repaired, even for a cost.

If the manufacturer will not repair it, they should at least make available for purchase the parts necessary to do so at a reasonable retail price.

Apple is not only not repairing it, they are making it next to impossible to even source the parts needed for SOMEONE ELSE to do the repair.

That's the kicker and that's what is horrible. If my Lenovo laptop, or my PS4, or my Samsung Galaxy S7 were to be broken in an accident, I can at least count on being able to take it to a third party repair center, where they can order the parts needed to do the repair. Apple will not even ALLOW such a thing to be done, and that is why they are awful and absolutely anti-consumer.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
They are taking the loss for the bad press. Linus has the win here, like him or not. Now stop spinning
The bad press gets people slamming Apple. People that are really into Apple buy more products in spite of the hate. That's a loss? I wish I could lose like that.
My God the logic of this statement is beyond stupid

If you bother to watch the video he says it himself he can easily buy a new one but he wants to go down the consumer route first and exhaust that branch of service.. it turns out apple is just a shitty company.

Yes .. let's release a $5k product and offer zero technical support for it for a long time .
He went down the consumer route because he knew full well it wasn't getting repaired at a "fair" price, or possibly not repaired at all. He did it because he knew it would get him the views he needs to generate revenue. Apple shitty? Sure. Linus exploiting that for his own gain, yep.
What if it wasn't him, but someone who saved for a year for one and let's say a cat knocked it over.
They need to shell out 5k as apple won't repair it?
Your personal bias is getting in the way of the real issue here.
He is willing to pay for a repair, he didn't go in expecting this poor service.
He wants to pay for work and he could not.
Not looking for a hand out, or special treatment.
Just some customer service, the stand issue was miles worse, but this is still anti- consumer nothing more.
He is looking for view for revenue, that is all. That gets in the way of me taking his complaint seriously at all. If it was some random accident like a cat knocked it over, then I would hope Apple would accommodate that customer in a fair way. They have for me before for a phone. My iPhone 7 Plus. Due to my brain injury I can have blackouts. One day, I did, and when I went to the floor, phone in hand, the phone met the concrete the same as I did. Screen shattered, frame bent a tad. Went to Apple store to ask about how much a repair would cost. Manager asked what happened. Told story, phone replaced with a new one in five minutes.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
The bad press gets people slamming Apple. People that are really into Apple buy more products in spite of the hate. That's a loss? I wish I could lose like that.

He went down the consumer route because he knew full well it wasn't getting repaired at a "fair" price, or possibly not repaired at all. He did it because he knew it would get him the views he needs to generate revenue. Apple shitty? Sure. Linus exploiting that for his own gain, yep.

He is looking for view for revenue, that is all. That gets in the way of me taking his complaint seriously at all. If it was some random accident like a cat knocked it over, then I would hope Apple would accommodate that customer in a fair way. They have for me before for a phone. My iPhone 7 Plus. Due to my brain injury I can have blackouts. One day, I did, and when I went to the floor, phone in hand, the phone met the concrete the same as I did. Screen shattered, frame bent a tad. Went to Apple store to ask about how much a repair would cost. Manager asked what happened. Told story, phone replaced with a new one in five minutes.
If they fixed it he might have made a video praising them....

Dec 9, 2017
Do people just dismiss him outright because they see he's a youtuber? People seem to think Linus is doing some youtube drama click hunting bullshit because he documented the process of trying to get a product(That he paid for) repaired(That he was also willing to pay for). What the hell?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
If they fixed it he might have made a video praising them....
He knew they weren't going to do it. He planned this out from the start. He most likely used his "back alley" contact to research when parts were available, if things would get repaired, etc. etc. It's not like Apples' shitty practice wasn't known, and this was his very first time even learning about this stuff. Puhlease...
Do people just dismiss him outright because they see he's a youtuber? People seem to think Linus is doing some youtube drama click hunting bullshit because he documented the process of trying to get a product(That he paid for) repaired(That he was also willing to pay for). What the hell?
He's a bratty Youtuber, and yes, he's hunting for views. When that's your income source, that's what you do. He documented something he knew would get him millions of views, end. 3.6million views later... /deuces peace out

Nov 2, 2017
Den Haag, Netherlands
You Apple Warriors know that workstation computers have to be moved around, right? For a variety of reasons. I know a film editor that does a lot of work on set. He was attracted to the iMac Pro at first because it's not a giant tower that requires an additional hulking monitor to come along with it: you cut out over half the extra bulk with this all in one.

But this video shows that if they are damaged in transit (which can be very likely), they are totally screwed for service. Nobody's gonna buy a professional-grade machine without availability of spares. Nobody.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If it was some random accident like a cat knocked it over, then I would hope Apple would accommodate that customer in a fair way. They have for me before for a phone. My iPhone 7 Plus. Due to my brain injury I can have blackouts. One day, I did, and when I went to the floor, phone in hand, the phone met the concrete the same as I did. Screen shattered, frame bent a tad. Went to Apple store to ask about how much a repair would cost. Manager asked what happened. Told story, phone replaced with a new one in five minutes.

The manager did you a solid, because 99/100 cases if you dropped and shattered the screen on your phone you're gonna be paying -- either for repairs (if they even grant you one) or for a new phone. What Linus is talking about is bad _policy_, not an isolated positive or negative experience because some CS rep had a good or bad day. It could've been anyone who just bought an expensive workstation and through some dumb accident they're down 5000 USD (!) without any recourse, because Apple is not willing to fix it under any circumstances. That's the problem.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
You Apple Warriors know that workstation computers have to be moved around, right? For a variety of reasons. I know a film editor that does a lot of work on set. He was attracted to the iMac Pro at first because it's not a giant tower that requires an additional hulking monitor to come along with it: you cut out over half the extra bulk with this all in one.

But this video shows that if they are damaged in transit (which can be very likely), they are totally screwed for service. Nobody's gonna buy a professional-grade machine without availability of spares. Nobody.
That's false. Accidental damage can be covered by a paid repair in general (e.g. if the screen was broken during transit, that could be repaired at a cost). Such an issue only arises if the machine is in a BER state (e.g. if the machine is smashed to pieces during transit, or it's opened up and the internals are tampered with to damage the machine). Service options (both first and third party) are available. The context and (known) extent of the damage is relevant in this instance as to why the machine will not be repaired.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017

Well, if I'm going to move it around, I'd plan for that and not just willy nilly pick it up, leave it just hanging off my set in the car, etc. Apparently people don't tear their professional-grade machine apart while assuming something will be done if they screw it up. Nobody.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
He knew they weren't going to do it. He planned this out from the start. He most likely used his "back alley" contact to research when parts were available, if things would get repaired, etc. etc. It's not like Apples' shitty practice wasn't known, and this was his very first time even learning about this stuff. Puhlease...

He's a bratty Youtuber, and yes, he's hunting for views. When that's your income source, that's what you do. He documented something he knew would get him millions of views, end. 3.6million views later... /deuces peace out

LTT averages over 50m views a month (and close to 2 billion total), having one particular video do a little better than others is nothing. Staging the entire thing would be incredibly risky and entirely not worth it.

Throw enough shade at the youtuber and you can avoid talking about decidedly shitty practices on Apple's part I suppose.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
The manager did you a solid, because 99/100 cases if you dropped and shattered the screen on your phone you're gonna be paying -- either for repairs (if they even grant you one) or for a new phone. What Linus is talking about is bad _policy_, not an isolated positive or negative experience because some CS rep had a good or bad day. It could've been anyone who just bought an expensive workstation and through some dumb accident they're down 5000 USD (!) without any recourse, because Apple is not willing to fix it under any circumstances. That's the problem.
Honestly, if someone buys a $5000 workstation, and is willing to pay $1500 for repairs, why wouldn't they have just bought the $169 Apple Care? Doesn't make much sense.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if I'm going to move it around, I'd plan for that and not just willy nilly pick it up, leave it just hanging off my set in the car, etc. Apparently people don't tear their professional-grade machine apart while assuming something will be done if they screw it up. Nobody.

Ah, and we're back at this talking point. So he broke it during disassembly. How is that any different from a component failing randomly or through negligence?

Honestly, if someone buys a $5000 workstation, and is willing to pay $1500 for repairs, why wouldn't they have just bought the $169 Apple Care? Doesn't make much sense.

I don't see how this changes anything. When you purchase something without Apple Care, you do so under the presumption that it can be repaired. If Apple Care is your only recourse if something breaks, that's one hell of a racket.

Oh, I should've read this before replying to your posts. Yeah, he wasted $5000 and countless hours of disassembly, assembly, shooting and editing videos, contacting local repair shops, Apple CS, etc. -- all just for the clicks. That's not convoluted at all.

Smilin Commander

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 5, 2018
He went down the consumer route because he knew full well it wasn't getting repaired at a "fair" price, or possibly not repaired at all. He did it because he knew it would get him the views he needs to generate revenue. Apple shitty? Sure. Linus exploiting that for his own gain, yep

No.. he went down the consumer route because his videos are based on consumers from end to end. And Apple not being able to repair it pretty much was a video in the making. The biggest tech company on the planet not wanting to fix its own product seems like a worthy video for a channel that primarily concentrates on tech tips.

He knew they weren't going to do it. He planned this out from the start. He most likely used his "back alley" contact to research when parts were available, if things would get repaired, etc. etc.

Do you have evidence to back up this conspiracy theory ??

Last edited:

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
No.. he went down the consumer route because his videos are based on consumers from end to end. And Apple not being able to repair it pretty much was a video in the making. The biggest teach company on the planet not wanting to fix its own product seems like a worthy video for a channel that primarily concentrates on tech tips.
Yep, if anyone has an agenda they are active in this thread and not on youtube

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, and we're back at this talking point. So he broke it during disassembly. How is that any different from a component failing randomly or through negligence?

I don't see how this changes anything. When you purchase something without Apple Care, you do so under the presumption that it can be repaired. If Apple Care is your only recourse if something breaks, that's one hell of a racket.

Oh, I should've read this before replying to your posts. Yeah, he wasted $5000 and countless hours of disassembly, assembly, shooting and editing videos, contacting local repair shops, Apple CS, etc. -- all just for the clicks. That's not convoluted at all.

No.. he went down the consumer route because his videos are based on consumers from end to end. And Apple not being able to repair it pretty much was a video in the making. The biggest tech company on the planet not wanting to fix its own product seems like a worthy video for a channel that primarily concentrates on tech tips.
I mean, I respect that you guys disagree with how I feel about Linus. I don't disagree that Apple has shitty repair service at times. I also think they go over the top for people at times.

Yep, if anyone has an agenda they are active in this thread and not on youtube
I have an opinion, not an agenda lol.

------ break ------

Look, I think Apple should have better repair options for people. I don't think that's why this issue was being made by Linus. I personally feel that when they accidentally broke the machine, they used that for their own gain. I could be wrong, but that's how I personally feel about it.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I mean, I respect that you guys disagree with how I feel about Linus. I don't disagree that Apple has shitty repair service at times. I also think they go over the top for people at times.

I have an opinion, not an agenda lol.

------ break ------

Look, I think Apple should have better repair options for people. I don't think that's why this issue was being made by Linus. I personally feel that when they accidentally broke the machine, they used that for their own gain. I could be wrong, but that's how I personally feel about it.
I didn't mention you, I'm not backwards in coming forward.
I would have quoted you.
But your defence on this page alone is odd in saying that.
I hope nothing of yours ever breaks.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Uhh no. That's not how bad press works. You are very defensive. You a stock holder?

You can try to downplay this all you want. This is getting a lot of bad press. And that's a BAD thing. Get it?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Uhh no. That's not how bad press works. You are very defensive. You a
I'm not defensive at all. Goodness. I think Apple should be able to reasonable repair consumer products. My entire beef with this is on Linus. He makes videos for money. If you don't believe he was motivated by money to put this out there, then we disagree, and that's fine.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
All that video shows me is how he's making money off his own incompetence. Especially that 3-part special about making a DIY router where he managed to destroy not 1 or 2 but 3 mainboards with an angle grinder made me queasy. I guess, like live beheadings and gore there must bhe people taking delight in it and click on his freshbooks links.
You're really equating watching beheadings and gore to watching tech videos that have ads?

Last edited:

Ryder9

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2018
I'm not defensive at all. Goodness. I think Apple should be able to reasonable repair consumer products. My entire beef with this is on Linus. He makes videos for money. If you don't believe he was motivated by money to put this out there, then we disagree, and that's fine.

So, according to your logic all news & reporting is fake because people make can make a living off of it

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Apple is refusing the repair because they won't be making as much money off of him, so they are also motivated by money.

What horribly, petty nonsense.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'm talking about THIS video. I didn't say it was fake.

Didn't Apple give him a price for the repair?

No, he got that quote from Apple Service Providers who remained anonymous because if Apple finds out who they are, Apple will revoke their certification, thus not allowing them to fix Apple's products in the future by not allowing them to get access to the parts required, because Apple refuses to make said parts available to people who aren't authorized by Apple.

Apple has even go so far as to sue people who get parts from other countries, or have customs seize them at the border.

This is the entire point of the issue.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
No, he got that quote from Apple Service Providers who remained anonymous because if Apple finds out who they are, Apple will revoke their certification, thus not allowing them to fix Apple's products in the future by not allowing them to get access to the parts required, because Apple refuses to make said parts available to people who aren't authorized by Apple.

Apple has even go so far as to sue people who get parts from other countries, or have customs seize them at the border.

This is the entire point of the issue.
I agree with the Apple issue. I just can't get past Linus.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Did he slap your mother or something?
No one forces you to watch his content and you even agree with his issue.
Your issue is he makes money by doing his job?
So do I.
You're right, no one forces me to watch it, and I don't anymore. Got tired of how he was delivering, bad acting, poor scripting. Then he takes an issue that needs to be addressed and takes advantage of that for his own gain. I have an issue with that. That's all. If we can only talk about the issue and not about who is doing the talking, then I'll leave that aspect out of it. I've said multiple times in this thread of why I dislike him, and that I agree with the issue about Apple being shitty at times.

Nov 2, 2017
Den Haag, Netherlands
I'm sorry but WTH was that in the 1:00 mark? Building a PC that has Better CPU/GPU and 64GB to something weaker to be a bit more expensive
It doesn't include the 5k panel. Studios want to use Final Cut Pro. They would be in deep shit if they violated the EULA and built a Hackintosh.

You mean like making a fake video of breaking the screen, complete with After Effects sparks?
So when documentaries do recreations of historical events, would you call them "fake videos for clickbait"?

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Linus isn't perfect, but he has one thing a lot of people don't. A platform to bring this issue up and a voice that people will pay attention to.

Companies like Apple and John Deere are actively campaigning (and lobbying) state governments to prevent right to repair bills from passing.

That's a bigger issue to me then how Linus runs his YouTube channel.
Yeah, I understand. I'll leave my personal feelings out of it from here on out. I talked to my wife and her sister about it. They both said I was being irrational. /shrugs. That wasn't my intention.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Did u watch his last video .. anyone that thought that was his attempted to fake it must be seriously out to get him. It's clear it's fake and it's in there for dramatic and comedic effect
Some people thought the video was real, and if their attempt was to make it "clearly" fake or comedic, he should have put a "re-enactment" note on screen.

This is completely separate from the actual issue with the iMac Pro. But this is absolutely Linus engaging in YouTube clickbait bullshit. They are usually better than that. But I stopped subscribing to his channel over this.

Apr 1, 2018
You're really equating watching beheadings and gore to watching tech videos that have ads?
They evoke the same emotions of horror, embarassment, and schadenfreude in it's audience. The same feelings that make them wonder: "Why are people like him doing that?", "That's terrible!" and "I can't wait to show this shit to my friends!".

So yes, because that's not a "tech video with ads".

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Eyebrow raising amount of insults I've seen directed towards Linus for this, worrying even.

That's the part that caught your attention?

On this page alone at least 2 people have admitted its anti consumer, but take the corporations side anyway because "Yeah well fuck that guy". And why is it "fuck that guy"? Solely because hes bringing attention to anti consumer bullshit about their favorite company. Wholesale fanboyism and they're not even ashamed enough to not wave it around in the open.

The shit is gross. I don't ever want to hear or see anyone comparing fanboys of other things to Apples fans. This is completely next fucking level.

"Yeah they are wrong but I take their side ANYWAY because I don't like the victim".

Just wow....