• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
MikeProtagonist Wereroku
Caught up with it now, shame about the shamisen playing, but good that he lawyered up which in Japan is the best thing to do in times like this.
Have also been through a similar police experience so it's just sadly par for the course and I was just nodding along there. Hopefully as time goes on he improves and becomes more flexible again to play.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
MikeProtagonist Wereroku
Caught up with it now, shame about the shamisen playing, but good that he lawyered up which in Japan is the best thing to do in times like this.
Have also been through a similar police experience so it's just sadly par for the course and I was just nodding along there. Hopefully as time goes on he improves and becomes more flexible again to play.
It less flexibility and more that his pinky broke in the exact place he has to hold the bachi. Apparently the pressure from playing could cause it to break again. He will hopefully get it reevaluated later to see how the break is healing.

Oct 26, 2017
It less flexibility and more that his pinky broke in the exact place he has to hold the bachi. Apparently the pressure from playing could cause it to break again. He will hopefully get it reevaluated later to see how the break is healing.

And that he can't risk breaking it again because it would also ruin his pilot license.

Crazy how such a (relatively) minor injury is threatening the two specific things he cares about.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I wonder if it's possible to switch the hands playing the shamisen. Might be worth trying.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Poor Chris, I can't imagine that getting your eardrum maybe perforated by water pressure is a pleasant experience.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Pewdiepie an alt right POS?
From what I remember he spurted out some racist shit and he's pretty annoying. I think the Trash taste boys will be teaming up, hoping Chris keeps it to a minimum (And they all do); from one of Chris's recent videos he said has to have been friends a while and have stuff in common and it not just be a generic collab but I dunno for the clicks he'd probably get loads. I have no interest in his content personally.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the Connor streams as this was going on, but I really enjoyed seeing this one from Chris's POV. This has got to be one of the fastest turn arounds for making a long edited video from him, the stream ended like what a month ago? Maybe he's finally let up on his control freak sense and let someone else do more of the time consuming editing work.
Yeah I think most his stuff he said he has an editor for now. Assume a bit of a control freak over it still and maybe does a handful on his own but mainly has an editor as far as I know.

Supposed to be a new Sharla and him I can't remember where out soon (The apple cider place; they wouldn't let him record a temple last time as he complained about the Sulphur smelling and was a PR thing for them).

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I try not to pay attention to YouTubers too much (Outside of friends) but the guy got me through Covid WFH and trapped in and they seemed like a good couple and probably assumed it was a natural fit so mild thumbs up and congrats I guess.

Oct 26, 2017
I actually told my wife about this. Chris is just a likeable guy and Sharla is a likeable woman so I'm happy they found each other.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
CDawgVA just did a few day RV roadtrip with Peter (PremierTwo) and Daidus as well as Garnt and it was pretty entertaining.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Watched some yesterday and about 9 hours in overall. Easy background on the second screen stuff and as always Pete is great.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Good for them.

Also, is it my impression, or all the foreign / semi-foreign youtubers in Japan end up in a relationship with foreigners?

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I just really got into his content recently and I like him a lot. He's definitely a natural in front of the camera.
His stuff on his own kinda so so on (I'm not really into gaming streams) but he works well with other YouTubers and has the right kinda energy that escalates everyone in the room. His bit on Trash taste even though I'd heard a lot of it on Abroad in Japan was great and seems he's quite tight in with that crew (I think on the bike trip Connor got on with him especially). Daidus I'm not that interested in seeming him but they're friends I guess.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Good for them.

Also, is it my impression, or all the foreign / semi-foreign youtubers in Japan end up in a relationship with foreigners?
From what I've seen from several YTers, it's just easier to form relationships. Pretty sure I've heard Chris Broad say before that it is much harder to make inroads and genuine friendships with native JP people. Not to say it's impossible though.

His stuff on his own kinda so so on (I'm not really into gaming streams) but he works well with other YouTubers and has the right kinda energy that escalates everyone in the room. His bit on Trash taste even though I'd heard a lot of it on Abroad in Japan was great and seems he's quite tight in with that crew (I think on the bike trip Connor got on with him especially). Daidus I'm not that interested in seeming him but they're friends I guess.

Yeah echo the same feelings for the most part. I didn't really enjoy Daidus that much on the RV trip incidentally but its fine lol.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
From what I've seen from several YTers, it's just easier to form relationships. Pretty sure I've heard Chris Broad say before that it is much harder to make inroads and genuine friendships with native JP people. Not to say it's impossible though.

Yeah echo the same feelings for the most part. I didn't really enjoy Daidus that much on the RV trip incidentally but its fine lol.
Yeah I think he's talked about his three Japanese friends before and they're good friends but none of them are typical Japanese people; either have been abroad or are Natsuki level a bit err different to the norm.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It's also a fairly insular community though, especially if "YouTuber" is your primary job and not working at a Japanese company.

You get the impression that people who don't collab as often, like Paolo or Life Where I'm From, probably have more Japanese friends.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I think he's talked about his three Japanese friends before and they're good friends but none of them are typical Japanese people; either have been abroad or are Natsuki level a bit err different to the norm.
Lmao.
Yeah, I remember when he talked about that, and considering the two Japanese persons we regularly see on Chris' videos are Natsuki and Ryotaro, it makes sense.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
It's completely fine, just a bucket of cold water on the "I'll move to Japan and help repopulate" crowd. :D

Oct 26, 2017
It's completely fine, just a bucket of cold water on the "I'll move to Japan and help repopulate" crowd. :D

While I doubt it's very scientific, Chris has done some "what Japanese women look for" videos with Chiaki and they're stereotypically absolutely not interested in foreigners.

But PaoloFromTokyo, John Daub, Dogen and Tokyo Llama all are married to Japanese women, and Rachel is married to Jun who is Japanese. I think they cater to a different audience than Chris/Tokyo Creative/Trash Taste and they all feel more like people permanently settled in Japan.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
While I doubt it's very scientific, Chris has done some "what Japanese women look for" videos with Chiaki and they're stereotypically absolutely not interested in foreigners.

But PaoloFromTokyo, John Daub, Dogen and Tokyo Llama all are married to Japanese women, and Rachel is married to Jun who is Japanese. I think they cater to a different audience than Chris/Tokyo Creative/Trash Taste and they all feel more like people permanently settled in Japan.
The video with Joey's dad is funny and worth a watch too (His dad is married to a Japanese woman but he's very much an Aussie).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZr7_w4LVus

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination

That last bit, I'm taking it as you're saying that PaoloFromTokyo, Dogen and co. feel like permanently settled people compared to Chris and others?

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think that's a good point. I'm pretty sure Chris envisions that him and Sharla will return to the UK at some point in the future. And I also feel like everyone from the Trash Taste sphere will eventually return to their specific countries too. (Joey probably the least likely as he is half Japanese and well Australia isn't SUPER far away but yeah...)

Oct 26, 2017
That last bit, I'm taking it as you're saying that PaoloFromTokyo, Dogen and co. feel like permanently settled people compared to Chris and others?

Yeah, these guys have been there a long time and they come across as residents first, youtubers second. Like Tokyo Llama is a tiny channel but his entire theme is him renovating a home for his family.

Of course, Sharla and Chris have both been there for a long long time now, but they've both discussed moving elsewhere. I think there it's more a case that their entire business is based on being in Japan so it would be hard to move.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, these guys have been there a long time and they come across as residents first, youtubers second. Like Tokyo Llama is a tiny channel but his entire theme is him renovating a home for his family.

Of course, Sharla and Chris have both been there for a long long time now, but they've both discussed moving elsewhere. I think there it's more a case that their entire business is based on being in Japan so it would be hard to move.
It's an interesting one like Chris on his best man pretty much was like of course it's Natsuki as his best mate and best man I think it seems like if they had to leave it would be a visa thing and having to. Job wise it makes no sense, friends wise less so and as long as can visit the UK/Canada.