• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
People don't RE3, some people just think its a sucky remake compared to two (which I agree with).

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I played through the whole series for the first time this year and KH3 is, without question, the best game in the series. By far. Now, the story? Nah I wasn't a fan. BBS my favourite KH game for story, followed by KH1. But gameplay? KH3 is leagues ahead of every other game. Super fun flowing combat good movement options from the start. Amazing exploration best implementation of collectibles. By far the best execution of Disney. Not the best Disney selection, but the execution was on another level.

Aside from Hercules, every Disney world had the original creative team from the respective Disney properties which is why the authenticity of the Disney world's in Kingdom Hearts III is the best in the series to date, people from Disney and Pixar directly contributed to the environmental design and narrative of the Disney world's.

I enjoyed the hell out of my time with KH3. Not gonna pretend it's a masterpiece but it isn't a pile of garbage that people on here would have you believe

Yeah, there's no denying that certain elements of the story could be better executed but the charm and self-awareness of the game alongside the visual presentation makes up for that. Also, Kingdom Hearts III ReMind blows Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix out of the water in terms of overall value.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
814qfBHBGLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Screw you ERA, this is a great game!

Origami King, on the other hand, was an "Ok-ish" game in my opinion.
Color Splash was the best video game script I've ever seen. It was laugh out loud funny throughout the game. The game also fixed a ton of issues Sticker Star had. It was really, really good.

definedMF

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
Jak 2 & Jak 3.

Come at me!
I consider Jak 2 slightly better the Ratchet games, even though its like a 9.5 vs. 9.6, but god damn Jak II despite all its edgeyness is fantastic in all platforming and open world regards. Naughty Dog hasn't topped it since in my opinion.

Also I want to say I really adore Bioshock Infinite since I never followed the hype cycle of it and wasn't nearly as invested on what could have been. Found the political commentary interesting with some quirks, yet the overarching themes and the subsequent DLC's were so damn impressive it was the ultimate conclusion to the original series.

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
I'll echo what others said here that Dark Souls 2 is fantastic. My playthrough of that SOTFS with all the DLC was magnificent, and the most attached to a build I have ever been in their games. Power standing with great clubs is absolutely unmatched with respect to the rest of the series. I felt like Dark Souls 3 had nothing on 2.

I was not around for the release of that game, so I'm not sure what all happened to build such a negative consensus around it, but the SOTFS collection slaps and most of my friends IRL who play this series also love the game.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I like this game called Bloodborne, but Era seems to be pretty 'meh' about it.

Just kidding :) My example would be Final Fantasy XIII. Playing it on my XSX and having fun.

Also, Mass Effect Andromeda.

And, one of my favorites: Resident Evil 3 Remake. Love that game.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.
This isn't well regarded? Heathens. One of the greatest tactics games. Special place for me.

Mine is The Order 1886. The game has issues, but it's beautiful, plays well outside the rightfully criticized boss fights and I absolutely adore the world building and setup for a sequel well never see.

cdudeachyut

Jun 4, 2021
Dark Souls II and Cyberpunk 2077.

Surprised that no one said Fallout 76 yet. I've heard Bethesda has made quite some improvements to it since launch.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Cyberpunk for me. It seems like people had built it up too much maybe? I went in having not followed anything about the game and expected a cyberpunk-themed western RPG. The game seemed like a good version of that. People are mad about... the crowd AI? lol

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Warhammer_40%2C000_Dawn_of_War_II.jpg

Many people disliked the fact that this sequel got rid of the base building (something I view as an extremely tired mechanic) and replaced it with smaller squads (think Warcraft 3 heroes), but this became one of my favorite RTS games of all time. I never want to go back to base building ever again.

Must have put 300+ hours into the multiplayer. It got to the point that with my space marines, -Tetsuo-'s Eldar, and Wolfwood0's orks, we were unstoppable.

This is one of the GOAT RTS games people are just crazy

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
The Evil Within 1 is a gem of a game, but Era doesn't like it and they praise the average sequel, which is weird, because it plays worse in almost every way.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
inFamous: Second Son is the best game in the series in my eyes and people here tend to think of it as the weakest.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
I would assume Era is lukewarm on Star Wars Superemcy/Rebellion (those who have even played it) - most reviewers were back in the day. And it's understandable because ship combat was a mess (so I always used the auto resolve option). But the diplomacy/resource management side is super fun.

7qjnLxC.jpg

Palps bitching at me that it was my fault his diplomacy mission failed was always hilarious
Great game. Been many years since I last played it but I remember liking the combat... weird.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Another vote for the first Watch Dogs. I replayed it last year and it has some of the best gameplay in an open world game. Great variety of story missions and most of the side content is fun and innovative. All the urban/architectural puzzles especially, plus the online invasions. Also, great atmosphere, music and sound design. Some parts of the map look rough and Aiden is a bit cringy, but whatever.
Also, I like that it's set in autumn, something fairly rare in video games.

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
Surprised that no one said Fallout 76 yet. I've heard Bethesda has made quite some improvements to it since launch.
I love Fallout 76 now after being lukewarm at best on launch. The map is fantastic and I enjoy the base building which most people seem to hate. Only thing i'm not huge on is the battlepass rat race. Feels like i have to spend too much time on daily repeatable content and not enough time doing what I want to do just because FOMO.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
For a while on the old place it was Sonic Adventure 2 but it's really became obvious over time that that game just needed to wait for people who grew up with it to become more numerous on forums in order for its reputation to increase.

I'll say Final Fantasy XIII I guess. The combat is great, the story is fun nonsense, and I kinda respect the hyperlinearity, especially after how open so many AAA games are now. I also think Pokemon Sun and Moon is easily the best of the post-gen 5 games, and I like it more than the gen 1 and gen 3 games despite my nostalgia for those. The story is good, Alola feels like a fully realized world, and I really liked the trials.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I got Days Gone because people here said it was much better than reviews said. It wasn't, if anything it's worse than the MC score.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of obvious indies and euro jank RPGs, but I'll say Cyberpunk. Bad RPG but a good game and a legitimately impressive achievement in terms of "architectural immersion" and conveying the scope & scale of a sprawling future metropolis. Traversal is extremely fun once you get certain upgrades. And the world building and cool "cyberpunk-y" stories are there, you just need to be digging for it and connecting the dots yourself. Some genuinely great characters too.

Overall it's a more interesting experience than Ghosts of Tsushima. A 7/10 game ERA treats like a 9.5.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Prince of Persia Warrior Within. Say what you want about Godsmack or the edgy Prince or the terrible designs of the two female characters, but the gameplay is improved a lot coming from Sands of Time. Proper combos, letting you choose which side to explore when you arrive to the island and better platforming. The Dahaka chasing sequences were also properly implemented, making you feel powerless agaisnt an enemy that, if it catches you, is game over. The soundtrack is actually good.

Oh yeah, add this one, too. The Sands trilogy was my favorite from that generation, and WW is my favorite of the three. Just felt great to play.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
any call of duty game

i'm not even sure what games era "hates", most game threads tend to be pretty positive or maybe i just don't open game threads about games i don't care about. I see people listing games here which I just assumed most of ERA liked, like FF7R or Yakuza games

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The number of people in this thread who cited Dragon Age: Inquisition gives me hope. Such a wonderful cast of characters, and my first glimpse of what RPGs in the eighth generation could be. I am so eager to see what they have in store for the next entry.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Mass Effect 1 and Far Cry 2 - there are those on Era and beyond who do enjoy these games as much as I do but I suspect the majority like games in their respective series more. Bought the ME Legendary Edition, played ME1, sighed as I had 2 and 3 ahead, dropped 3 early in and now I am a hair away from just playing ME1 again. For the umpteenth time. I should replay FC2 - nothing I liked more than orienteering and sneaking around in that game. I collected every Diamond last time I played and it was only a Bronze Trophy lol

Nov 1, 2017
Final Fantasy Tactics A2 - Grimoire of the Rift.

Tactics fans didn't like that Tactics Advance was a simpler iteration. The Judges and laws also turned a lot of people off, it was also a very information dense game that packed a lot onto a small screen. It was still a solid package and if you take out the expectations from the series legacy I would even say it's a fantastic game and easily one of the highlights of the GBA. Personally I even prefer the story book with dark undertones type of plot over the politics of the original FFT.

Tactics Advance A2 resolved some of the functional issues from Advance but at the end of the day it didn't really capture the charm of either of its predecessors. The two screens gave designers enough space to cleanly display all the necessary information, change rooms let you easily outfit your entire party with the right equipment, and the penalties from the Judges were greatly reduced to the point of being negligible. With new races, jobs, and massive lists of playable quests the game did a lot to make it easier to dive in deep. The problem was that FFTA2 was as slow to play as FFTA, recycled almost all its music from FFTA and FF12, had a less charming story, and didn't really make any meaningful gameplay steps for the franchise. The only thing that stuck with people about FFTA2 is the Luso Pizza sword image.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My game is Dragon age: Inquisition. Haven't played it for a few years until recently when i started a new character on PS5. I just love that game to bits! I can clearly see why people would dislike it but i just love the story, characters and combat so much i'm not bothered by the faults.

So ERA, what are some games that you love that you feel ERA dislikes or is lukewarm on in general?

Same I spent nearly 120 hours in DAI and I love it to pieces, I hope the next game is similar.

I also enjoyed my time with Mass Effect Andromeda, and Era would lead you to believe its the worst game ever made.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I adore BioWare's Jade Empire (2005) but most people on this forum are either indifferent for keep forgetting that this IP is a thing.

And that makes me sad, as I desperately want a sequel and a general refinement of the Way of the Open Palm/Clost Fist system that isn't a binary Good and Evil meter and actually takes the philosophy the game introduces to the player.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Paladins Quest on snes. One of my favorite jrpg on the super nintendo. Never understood the hate

Oct 31, 2017
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Type-0 (I don't love it but it's really good if you use the Arena bug lol)
Grandia III
Infinite Undiscovery
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Star Ocean 3/4
Suikoden IV
Tales of Zestiria
Xenosaga: Episode II