Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
After reading articles on Anime's influence on both Avatar: The Last Airbender and Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse a couple of months ago, I have been making an effort to watch Anime shows. I started with Eva while also doing a rewatch of TLA.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Finished the series and the movie a few weeks ago. Overall, I thought it was alright. It didn't live up to the praise for me. The animation in the movie was gorgeous.

Mob Psycho 100: Checked out the first episode yesterday. What a wild show! The art style is unique and I love how funny/crazy the art style gets in places. Definitely going to continue this.

FLCL - Also checked out the first episode. Pure insanity in the best possible way. The music and atmosphere was fantastic. Only six episodes in season one so I'm going to finish this out.
Highly recommend Odd Taxi, it's a comedy/mystery/crime thriller that a lot of people have compared to the works of the Coen Brothers and Quentin Tarantino. It's a very tightly wound 13 episodes.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Spy X Family Code White massively underperforming (in the US) really has a lot riding on Haikyu and Blue Lock now.
If those underperform, I'm thinking Crunchyroll is done with stuff outside of Demon Slayer or Dragon Ball.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
It underperformed? That's a surprise, the theater I went to had a lot of people for a morning showing.

~~~

Mission: Yozakura Family episode 3 was another one that adapted a single chapter, expanded with a lot of extra bits with the other family members. I have to say, this is not how I expected an anime adaptation this late into the manga's run to go, but I'm not complaining.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Spy X Family Code White massively underperforming (in the US) really has a lot riding on Haikyu and Blue Lock now.
If those underperform, I'm thinking Crunchyroll is done with stuff outside of Demon Slayer or Dragon Ball.
lol.

"While Spy × Family Code: White still trails Civil War, Abigail, and The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare, it's impressive to see it holding its own against the likes of Godzilla x Kong, placing the film at roughly #4. For an anime adaptation, this is undeniably impressive"

It did just fine in general for the US market. It didn't blow away expectations but it didn't underperform let alone massively underperform.

variety.com

Box Office: ‘Civil War’ Second Weekend Leading ‘Abigail’ and ‘The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare’ in Tight Race

A24's "Civil War" is in a tight box office race with the new horror release "Abigail" and Henry Cavill's "The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare."

it beat out a number of movies that released at far more locations than it. It's not a massive success in the US, but it did well.

could've spy family done better, perhaps, but it's also not a big action series that is likely to draw people to the theater. Plenty of people like myself stayed home instead content to see it at home down the line.

the theater run is plenty of money to cover the cost of releasing it in general. There's no reason to think they would stop releasing already made movies where all they have to do is license it out over it not being a massive success lol.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Initial expectations were $7 million to $15 million.
Everything did poorly that weekend, but this was a big push for Spy X Family, which not even Demon Slayer got to this extent.

It didn't beat come close to Abigail or Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare in actuals, and had a lower per theater average than both.
The latter also didn't get as many PLFs.

To be clear, it's not gonna put CR under or anything, but maybe they scale back on releases for everything besides Demon Slayer.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Doesn't appear to be on any streaming service. I will keep an eye out for it though. Looks interesting.
Darn, Retrocrush had New for a while but seems the license dropped. The BR's are available but since it's not on streaming I'll give a couple other suggestions that are on crunchy for convenience :
Mazinger edition Z(the impact aka Shin Mazinger Z): another Dynamic pro reimagining this one of the original Super robot(well piloted one to be precise). Does end on a bit of a nasty cliffhanger tho(the sequel didn't get green lit tho the SRW games has followed up on it). Also the first episode is a the climax is the beginning but not scenario? It looks pretty but will be super confusing. Episode 2 is the actual start of the story

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qjQo3OD557g
Gun X Sword: Wild West wander meets giant robots

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4JejSHqAeLo
Mobile Fighter G Gundam: that time Gundam went super robot as its first Alt universe. Very Dragonball vibes. Dub is some classic cheese but not on streaming

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q50VYTPkasc

Gaogaigar King of the Braves: first 35% is monster of the week(still with progressing plot elements mind you) then a solid arc leading into the first season finale, then season 2 has a way more focused arc, then Final the sequel/finale OVA goes wild. Some hotblooded action and a franchise finale. Only warning is the current release removed all seizure dimming, so if you're sensitive to strobe effects use caution anytime they cut to the villain base in the first half. Oh and only the first half is dubbed

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zgAazreoQqA

And yeah Getter Robo is one of my all time faves, it's the original combining robot and the manga is a trip(but only the fifth and final entry got a direct anime adaptation(getter Robo arc) which is on Hidive but not recommended as an entry point since well it's part five of the story XD). New, Armageddon and Shin Vs Neo were all alt takes on the manga(tho only New assumes you have zero previous knowledge.). The pilots are all nuts and so is the robot, it's a wild ride

Mecha is one of my fave anime genres in general and super robots in particular, and there's a ton of great shows out there, but availability can be hit or miss and there's stuff I wouldn't recommend as a first pick either if it's more homage heavy(or on the more hilarious silly side)

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Highly recommend Odd Taxi, it's a comedy/mystery/crime thriller that a lot of people have compared to the works of the Coen Brothers and Quentin Tarantino. It's a very tightly wound 13 episodes.

Thank you for the recommendation. Read a very brief overview of the premise and I'm in!

Darn, Retrocrush had New for a while but seems the license dropped. The BR's are available but since it's not on streaming I'll give a couple other suggestions that are on crunchy for convenience :
Mazinger edition Z(the impact aka Shin Mazinger Z): another Dynamic pro reimagining this one of the original Super robot(well piloted one to be precise). Does end on a bit of a nasty cliffhanger tho(the sequel didn't get green lit tho the SRW games has followed up on it). Also the first episode is a the climax is the beginning but not scenario? It looks pretty but will be super confusing. Episode 2 is the actual start of the story

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qjQo3OD557g
Gun X Sword: Wild West wander meets giant robots

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4JejSHqAeLo
Mobile Fighter G Gundam: that time Gundam went super robot as its first Alt universe. Very Dragonball vibes. Dub is some classic cheese but not on streaming

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q50VYTPkasc

Gaogaigar King of the Braves: first 35% is monster of the week(still with progressing plot elements mind you) then a solid arc leading into the first season finale, then season 2 has a way more focused arc, then Final the sequel/finale OVA goes wild. Some hotblooded action and a franchise finale. Only warning is the current release removed all seizure dimming, so if you're sensitive to strobe effects use caution anytime they cut to the villain base in the first half. Oh and only the first half is dubbed

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zgAazreoQqA

And yeah Getter Robo is one of my all time faves, it's the original combining robot and the manga is a trip(but only the fifth and final entry got a direct anime adaptation(getter Robo arc) which is on Hidive but not recommended as an entry point since well it's part five of the story XD). New, Armageddon and Shin Vs Neo were all alt takes on the manga(tho only New assumes you have zero previous knowledge.). The pilots are all nuts and so is the robot, it's a wild ride

Mecha is one of my fave anime genres in general and super robots in particular, and there's a ton of great shows out there, but availability can be hit or miss and there's stuff I wouldn't recommend as a first pick either if it's more homage heavy(or on the more hilarious silly side)

Awesome. Looks like all except the last one are on Crunchyroll. Will watch the first episodes of all of them when I get the change. Thank you for the list!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Thank you for the recommendation. Read a very brief overview of the premise and I'm in!

Awesome. Looks like all except the last one are on Crunchyroll. Will watch the first episodes of all of them when I get the change. Thank you for the list!
Gaogaigar is on crunchy(well in NA at least, just got added a few months back) tho that may not be the case regionally.

Sounds good tho like I said if the first episode of Mazinger edition Z is confusing skip to episode 2 as it's the actual beginning.
Go Nagai(creator of Mazinger Z, Cutie Honey, Devilman and many many more) is pretty rad tho, he's considering the uncle of manga and anime… both good and bad. Mecha, extreme violence, fanservice and even Magical girls all owe a good chunk of their modern foundation to him

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
From the New World 15
Yeah I wouldn't trust Squara as far as I can throw him.

From the New World 16
images

16 was phenomenal. The trajectory the story takes from here on cements it as one of the all time greats.

/XX/

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Is it "massively underperforming" compared to whose expectations? SPE & Crunchyroll or someone else's? Because we had people like DEADLINE's Mr. D'Alessandro mentioning accurately the expected "mid single-digits" for it on the usual weekend preview. He normally brings up the expectations in line with what some distributors representatives fill him in before the actuals are out, even if SPE low-balls A LOT of the time... well, except when they want to pad the numbers for a weekend estimation by including non-Thursday previews to obtain a #1, or things like that. :-P

Last edited:

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
Train 4
i was way off on what i thought these stops would be going off the map lol shit is crazy don't stop that train keep going dear god , i buy the theory people have going on it'd make sense of everything way more if it's true

granma and grampa 1 this always seemed cursed so i held off watching but surely it has to be somewhat good with how many people in JP are watching it right?

yeah it was cursed still but mostly wholesome yall can't be looking at your family like that D:

my season is packed so i don't know how much i will watch of this and i don't like watching things with old people because it bums me out feel like this will hit us with some feels by the end

also i think it has a cute artstyle but this shit looks ....very low quality

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
Spice and Wolf 4
Another great episode. Really the only complaint I could level at this show is it's animation quality, but since I enjoy it for the two leads just talking to each other for 22 minutes I can look past it.

Train Girls 4
All-in-all the town the girls came from seems like the best place to be, you just get turned into a chill animal instead of horrors beyond your imagination. The mushroom running off and exploding caught me off guard lmao.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Blue Archive 3
The best failgirlboss dork is here and they've wasted no time with her signature expression.

I've always liked how Nonomi's plan to save their school resembles the premise of the original Love Live, Shiroko's plan is to re-enact Payday: The Heist, and Hoshino's plan is just straight terrorism.

The sound design in this anime adaptation is a bit of a letdown. Some of the sound effects like Nonomi's minigun sound weak and most of the background music is kinda bland and weak compared to the game which has a lot of bangers.
Even the big band version of "Unwelcome School" that they have lacks the manic energy of the OG

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEg_d2f6myw

I was mostly fine with the adaptation but Unwelcome School being this low energy should be a crime.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
enjoying BA and my favorite dork boss showed up in all her glory but animation drop already and the BGM being pretty weak for what has a amazing soundtrack are the only disappointments so far

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Yuru Camp: The Movie
I was expecting two hours of coziness. I was NOT expecting the (gentle) rollercoaster of emotions.

Fast forwarding a few years was a great way to see everyone grow and change, and I think the movie captured the melancholy of early adulthood really well. Plus giving them the opportunity to build a campsite was a great evolution of the concept. At first I was thinking, ah, the most utopian fiction of all: the idea that you can put in effort towards building something out of nothing and have it pay off. But the movie has its own ways of dealing with that too, in ways that were surprisingly devastating.

I'd happily spend an entire series with the adult versions of these characters, though it looks like season 3 rewinds us back to high school. In a way that's too bad; while I'm always up for more cute and funny camping/vacationing antics, seeing how everyone's grown and watching them rediscover something that's special to them has a special quality to it that the main show doesn't really have. I'll miss it.

My only real complaint is that Aoi doesn't get to troll anyone. Character assassination. (Ena got one good joke in at least!)

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Initial expectations were $7 million to $15 million.
Everything did poorly that weekend, but this was a big push for Spy X Family, which not even Demon Slayer got to this extent.

It didn't beat come close to Abigail or Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare in actuals, and had a lower per theater average than both.
The latter also didn't get as many PLFs.

To be clear, it's not gonna put CR under or anything, but maybe they scale back on releases for everything besides Demon Slayer.
Box Office Pro numbers are nonsense now that its long time writer Shawn Robbins is gone. Case in point, all of the numbers in that article you posted are wildly off. Especially Abigail.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So Lvl 2 Cheat Isekai is basically the story of a cute demon wolf woman learning how to be a human and being madly in love with her "husband"

NOT what I expected lol

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Yuru Camp S3 1
The art changes don't bother me as much as I thought they might from people's impressions, so that's good!

Rin's grandpa continues to be the best.

Aria S1 3-4
Picked this one back up to see if it can keep my attention. It's nice enough, but I think it really suffers from its characters leaning on bland platitudes about life (what they call "sappy words"). Slice of life isn't really known for having a lot of weighty material but the stuff that happens on this show is so lightweight it'll blow away in a light breeze. That doesn't mean it's without charm, though, so I might stick with it a bit longer (and maybe not take months between episodes this time).

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Wow they really reunited Louise and Saito in another isekai with that lvl2 show eh? What a throwback. Rie Kugimiya's voice is way too distinct to miss.

Too bad the show is as generic as it gets.

Wehrwolf

Oct 28, 2017
Kongming movie

As much as I liked the TV series (which is quite a bit), the movie feels like an awkward edit. It's very evident with frequent narration that items are being glossed over and summarized as opposed to feeling like a natural story. Worse, it feels like the plot is understandable but the soul was lost (except the rap battle between Kabetaijin and Kongming is intact and still a highlight).

I do recommend the TV show though, and still hope for a season 2.

Edit: Though in both versions I got real tired of that "Everything seemed to be all right" (I'm still alive today) song. The ending credits list 4 versions of that song...

Last edited:

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
End of World Train - 4

Yeah I'm leaning towards the world following Youka's subconscious

Spice and Wolf - 4

That bed convo was some great stuff, kudos to Holo's VA. Animation isn't the best but the storyboarding is actually pretty strong

Unnamed Memory - 3

Starting to feel some stuff may have been glossed over in terms of character bonding. That ending hug was a bit too intimate for this point in their relationship.

Oblivion Battery - 3

GL4IxmAW0AASA96

97c4c39f-0015-4727-aba1-835e0e7cc4c2.jpeg

GL4Ch8AXcAAOOZD

GL3spn0XgAArPZG

Won't lie, this show going full stupid might've saved it for me

Last edited:

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Blue Archive 2-3
This is pretty okay. It's definitely struggling production wise, and the action scenes in particular aren't great. But the comedy stuff still works to an extent, and that's enough to keep me watching.

Train to the End of the World - 4
Feels like the show works a lot better when it focuses on the horror/weird fiction aspects. Turns out turning into an animal is actually a pretty good faith compared to being forever stuck as a golf ball.

The characters or the overall story haven't grabbed me at all though, so that's not great, which means the show really needs to rely on having interesting environments to keep me interested. And the one the episode ends on really isn't. Hopefully it's only going to take up a single episode.

Konosuba S3 - 2
After a long while this is finally an episode I actually like without any big reservations. Lots of good Konosuba style humor and funny reaction faces throughout.

Spice and Wolf - 4
Didn't enjoy this episode in the slightest. The economics stuff isn't interesting, the animation quality doesn't seem like it's going to hold up (what even is the shot that starts at 18:55), and Holo very suddenly being made dependent on Lawrence both physically and emotionally kind of ruins the thing I liked most about their relationship (that they were both on equal footing with one another).

I think I'm just going to drop this here. Judging by the glowing online reactions to this episode, it's clearly not a show for me.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
They cut out some stuff from the S&W LN if I recall correctly, like I vaguely remember Holo having some bad dreams leading up to that scene where she was emotionally vulnerable. They also skip over some fun back and forths between the two but I guess they are trying to fit about 5-6 episodes per volume of the novel. Its a bit rushed but so was the original anime. I'll need to compare both episodes later to see which one handle the pacing better.

Also yeah this is a pretty cheap production, the escape scene was all over the place. Pretty frustrating they go through the effort of doing a remake that fits the LN's artstyle better and then drop the ball on that.

Still, overall it was a great episode and I'm really enjoying the soundtrack too.

I still dream of Shaft doing the remake though. If anyone can do entertaining banter between two leads while keeping things visually interesting, its them.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, seems interesting. Will give the show a try.

Being honest the first two episodes were more mixed for me since they put all the silliness into one character and it didn't fit as well. This episode made everyone kinda silly and upped the comedy in general and it worked better for me.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
They cut out some stuff from the S&W LN if I recall correctly, like I vaguely remember Holo having some bad dreams leading up to that scene where she was emotionally vulnerable. They also skip over some fun back and forths between the two but I guess they are trying to fit about 5-6 episodes per volume of the novel. Its a bit rushed but so was the original anime. I'll need to compare both episodes later to see which one handle the pacing better.
Watched the 4th episode of the original anime after the new one, just like the previous ones, it's absolutely the same pacing, word for word, scene for scene, nothing new or different between the 2, if you go to 14 minute of the old and the 14th minute of the new, it's the exact same scene, it's remarkable, only difference is that the new one save the cliffhanger after the ending while the old one it's just the end of the episode and then the ED plays out

So both adaptations skip Holo dream and you only hear her talk about it, i think it works here tho so i don't mind

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Oof at those Spice & Wolf impressions. A really bad time to be doing a novel adaptation on top of almost every studio being swamped with work and mismanaged.
I mean the material carries it a lot and overall it's a very nice watch, even the old adaptation -first season at least- didn't have a great production ,compared to the new one it fares worse imo, also the music in the old anime was whatever and can be annoying while the new adaptation have way better music which i am enjoying a lot and adds a lot to the experience

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
lv2 cheat 1-2

said i wouldn't touch any of these ieskai's with any of the red flags in the title with Cheat, levels or banished from etc but so far anytime i see chilling i sorta like them plus this one sounded like it was more comfy SoL

okay so it's still trash but even with Rie being such a unfitting voice it's so rare to see her do a role like this at her age lol and the shows kinda just lovey dovey cute so i can't even get mad at how painfully everything else is by the books

unamed memory 3

Valt ? who that be hardly knew ya

the way these two got close i felt like things have progressed way faster than they should have for only 3 episodes in

Jan 11, 2018

Tadaima, Okaeri

1-3

Ridiculously cute and wholesome! I am aware that Omegaverse is iffy in general. But I get the vibe that this is as detached from all of the controversial aspects of it as can be, and based on what manga readers are saying it'll stay that way. I have zero interest in Omegaverse in general, but it's mostly just referenced as the reason why some people are discriminated against, and why everyone can get pregnant in this universe. If anyone noped out of it simply based on googling Omegaverse alone, I would recommend you give this show a chance.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Finished Bravern! Honestly thought it was a blast and a great ride. Find the rushed complaints funny. Nah they were just playing with classic super tropes while staying inside the framework of a modern real mech single cour. Well that and leaving stuff loose for crossover or spinoff stuff. Oh and Lulu is the best. She's gonna be hilarious in a full SRW game. Well that and the CIA water boarding guy, can't wait to see him trying it on some SRW staples like Jin, Koji, or Domon

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
unamed memory 3
Valt ? who that be hardly knew ya

the way these two got close i felt like things have progressed way faster than they should have for only 3 episodes in
Episode felt like it was all over the place. Like I feel like if I spoke to a source material reader they'd tell me that they're skipping a lot of bonding moments
They actually skipped a whole arc, not just bonding moments.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Spicy Wolf
I actually was engaged with this episode so idk what everyone's talking about, this was the best one so far.

From the New World 17
What fight is Saki talking about that she had with Satoru? Last time we saw them they had pity sex in an igloo. Kinda need Squara to die, don't like that rat man.

From the New World 18
Man, let's kill children for being slightly different but this guy that's cool with torture is OK and gets to live to adulthood. What the hell was that at the end? Was he a fat pony library? You say Maria's dead but she's in the new ED (which is not as good) so I don't believe you. I need her to come back and take Saki and Satoru with her and get away from these crazy people.

From the New World 19
Cool episode. Please be Maria.

Last edited:

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Tonari no Yokai-san 03
"Mom-san" lol
I wasn't expecting this type of action from this series. That was great, the music too.

I really like Buchio, him scaring off the Nue was great. I see Tazenbo with one black wing and immediately thought of Sephiroth.

Sand Land 09
Fuck Muniel, all my homies hate Muniel.
It feels like Belz keeps getting new abilities depending on the plot lol.

Golden Kamuy 25-29
Immediately had me laughing right out the gate with Sugimoto showing Tanigaki's pictures 🤣
Tournament arc! RIP, CG bear 🫡

Was that a JoJo reference? Wtf happened at Abashiri? All the prisoners are insane lmfaoooo.
"Is this a boner?" I'm dead. That Zangief lariat tho.

Nikaidou is gonna be a mannequin by the end of the series.
The circus episode was amazing, made me a Koito fan. "Those are some big nipples!" LMAOO. Tsukishima has the trademark Fern 😐

Ogata shooting but not intending to kill is some sadistically galaxy brain shit. Only a fucker like him could pull that off.
"I'm the sniper, I decide when you die." That was cold af.
They're not reuniting until the end of the season, are they 😭

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
From the New World 20
Would not the only option be to sacrifice yourself to kill the Ogre? Surely you'd have to despite the Death of Shame, otherwise it's just gonna kill everybody.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Wolf 4

It moved a bit fast, but it's still interesting so I can forgive it. It is a bit dull animation wise alas. But the voice acting is wonderful.

I like that I can't figure out what the 'allied' trading company's play is yet

Icedragon08

Oct 30, 2017
Spicy Wolf
I actually was engaged with this episode so idk what everyone's talking about, this was the best one so far.
I don't get it either. There were tons of positive impressions about the latest episode followed by one negative impression.
Then suddenly people talk about how most people here don't like the remake.

Of course it's not perfect but as a big spice and wolf fan I really enjoy it so far.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get it either. There were tons of positive impressions about the latest episode followed by one negative impression.
Then suddenly people talk about how most people here don't like the remake.

Of course it's not perfect but as a big spice and wolf fan I really enjoy it so far.

Yeah, I even said in my own post that the response to the episode has been overwhelmingly positive lol.

Just because the show isn't for me personally doesn't mean it's objectively bad for everyoe, and tbh it feels pretty weird seeing my own thoughts twisted like that.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, I even said in my own post that the response to the episode has been overwhelmingly positive lol.

Just because the show isn't for me personally doesn't mean it's objectively bad for everyoe, and tbh it feels pretty weird seeing my own thoughts twisted like that.
I mean, I didn't even read your review. I'm just seeing people complain about the pacing and the animation. I've been kinda bored by the first 3 episodes but I actually enjoyed this one. This is my first time watching the show, so whether it's going fast, I can't really tell. Animation is passable as well.