Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Another season, another lack of Printer Paper 8 X 11 but let's all wish him well as he's become full degenerate and biding his time with only the horniest of mecha shows.

New Shows And Maybe Some Sequels And Other Stuff I'd Like To Highlight Because I Think It Might Be Interesting

B7xKHx2.jpg

Getter Robo Arc
PV1 PV2 PV3

Hell yeah this one's for me. Getter Robo is back, baby! It's the unfinished final manga arc and if you're worried about continuity with the other anime, don't be since they're largely independent of one another aside from like the original 70s shows. What do you need to know? Well, everyone's batshit insane. That's your Getter Robo primer.

I've been excited for this for a long while and put total faith into the project when that first PV had a 2021 version of Jam Project's king of anisongs 'Heats.' Jun Kawagoe is the director and he's handled most (maybe all?) of the non-Mazinger Dynamic Planning stuff since Imagawa departed Getter Robo Armageddon's production so he knows how the show should definitely be.

OTXJj1u.jpg

Miss Kobayashi's Dragonmaid S
PV1 PV2

Kyoani finally returns and the show is now in Ishihara's more than capable hands so it should deliver. There's not much more I want to add given what happened.

NeLCC4G.jpg

The Case Study of Vanitas
PV

Rumors revolving around The Book of Vanitas, a clockwork grimoire of dubious reputation, draw Noé, a young vampire in search of a friend's salvation, to Paris. What awaits him in the City of Flowers, however, is not long hours treading the pavement or rifling through dusty bookshops in search of the tome. Instead, his quarry comes to him...in the arms of a man claiming to be a vampire doctor! Thrust into a conflict that threatens the peace between humans and vampires, will Noé cast in his lot with the curious and slightly unbalanced Vanitas and his quest to save vampirekind?

I don't know a lot about this one but the manga readers seemed hyped. Between the director's history, a Yuki Kajiura score, and the potential of Bones' A game I'm definitely excited.

mFVPtg7.jpg

Re-Main
PV

Original water polo anime that might have a bit of drama? Sounds good. Let's just hope the gristmill that is current MAPPA doesn't chew up too many people making it.

2vs sL9e.pn ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated!
PV?

Just pretend they had actually released a PV at the time of this posting and also pretend the broken image link was also intentional because it is. The manga is amusing but I think the key art was maybe pushing it a bit (a lot) for this forum.

7gDxgCV.png

The Idaten Deities Only Know Peace
PV

More Mappa fighting shit but it has a nice look. I'll be honest though, Megumi Ogata and Romi Park as the leads is enough to get me to watch anything.

qiLiHTs.jpg

Kageki Shoujo!!
PV1 PV2

I read the synopsis as far as "The Kouka Kageki Musical Drama Academy is a high school that teaches musical theater like that at the Takarazuka Revue" before deciding this will be a good show we will all like so I should mention it here.

u49v8GE.jpg

Ore, Tsushima
PV

In what's possibly the most efficient show concept this season, it's a cat voiced by Akio Otsuka which frankly is all I need.

lrjta1a.jpg

Fena: Pirate Princess
PV

Despite getting the impression that Crunchyroll Originals are in a dire state after haphazardly glancing at a twitter headline, the PV for this seems pretty solid. It's got that good adventure vibe.

DC7VMqP.jpg

Uramichi Oniisan
PV

Young adults putting on a happy face for the day job while dealing with the less-than-sunny side of life sure seems like a winning premise.

0Zg0ert.png

The Aquatope on White Sand
PV

Looks like more P.A. Works working girls stuff which is really all the selling point you could ask for.

B5EdUZe.png

Sonny Boy
PV

It's a Madhouse original anime that features a big cast in a survival situation brought to us by Shingo Natsume. The last original production from Madhouse was pretty good so maybe this one will be too.

by4vgcx.jpg

The Duke of Death and His Maid
PV

Comedy/romance from JC Staff with that wonky CG Hi Score Girl aesthetic that inexplicably worked and, oh yeah, the Hi Score Girl director too so it'll probably turn out fine.

Other new and returning shows include My LIfe as a Villainess, Magia Record, Tsukipro, Love Live, Higurashi, a Mahouka spinoff, Scarlet Nexus, and your favorite harem manga and/or isekai light novel adaptation I simply failed to mention!

~*~*~From the Desk of N-ko~*~*~
0VJuzI0l.png

It's come to my attention that "Netflix Jail" is no longer the acceptable terminology and henceforth such shows should be referred to as "still on N-ko's desk" waiting for her approval.

Recent Approvals:
Record of Ragnarok June 17
Godzilla Singular Point June 24

Pending Approval:
Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash July 1
Beastars S2 July 15
Shaman King (2021) Aug 9
Eden's Zero Aug 26

Resources

Summer 2021 Shows
Summer 2021, Who Has What Shows
ResetEra Anime of the Year 2020 Results
ResetEra Anime of the Year Voting Thread
ResetEra Anime of the Year 2019 Results
ResetEra Anime of the Year 2019 Results Full Spreadsheet Doc
ResetEra Anime of the Year 2019 Voting Thread
ResetEra Anime of the Year 2018 Results
ResetEra Anime of the Year 2018 Results Full Spreadsheet Doc
ResetEra Anime of the Year 2018 Voting Thread
ResetEra Anime of the Year 2017 Results

Discussion Ground Rules
- Please do not discuss piracy.
- Please keep it work-safe.
- Please do not be stupid.
-DONT POST ANITUBER VIDEOS (In Particular the big name ones Gigg, Mother's Basement, Digi etc..(Those three in particular endorsed the scams of Flying Colors and/or Otakucoin), Baka-Bishie's post found here explains the rationale of why this rule was put into place and links resources to more details on what occurred during one of these scams. Smaller Youtube channel videos can be posted, but please only post them if you think it if you think it will cause actual discussion or gives non-low hanging fruit knowledge.

Last edited:

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
CHANGE GETTERRRRR ARC!

Still hard to believe it's happening after all these years. Hope a simulcast gets announced soon, though.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I was like "why is the other OT locked?!" Today sure ended with a bang, tho.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Here's something interesting: Odd Taxi was initially pitched all the way back in 2016, and this was the first art done for it. Kabasawa, Tanaka, and Nagashima (the giraffe) were going to be the main characters with Odokawa just being a secondary character. Weird to think of how different the show would have been.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
damn, would have done my aoty notes earlier if i had known the thread would get locked lol

oddtaxi is the obvious standout, probably have to give it the edge over beastars too
nagatoro is cute and wholesome and def the kind of anime i like
full dive was interesting and surprising, might even be worth remembering longer than the season, prob an honorable mention vs making the top ten cut

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
i just been watching nothing but finales today,but bruh that Oddtaxi ending outstanding show but i can't feel happy with it ending like that my heart so many loose ends got tied up,and they actually did the wild twist.

Oct 25, 2017
Someone else in r/anime caught a very well-detailed about Odokawa's vision blurry:

Hijacking your comment, there's a small detail nobody has mentioned yet. After Odokawa regains concious and finally looks at everyone as human, the artstyle changed a very important detail, not on the characters, but the backgrounds. Every single episode the lines of anything drawn as background

were fuzzy-like and had some squiggly lines here and there (it was even more noticeable in interior shots). With the new artstyle all the background lines are

sharp and straight, implying Odokawa's mental foggy condition was taken away.

🤯

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Someone else in r/anime caught a very well-detailed about Odokawa's vision blurry:

Hijacking your comment, there's a small detail nobody has mentioned yet. After Odokawa regains concious and finally looks at everyone as human, the artstyle changed a very important detail, not on the characters, but the backgrounds. Every single episode the lines of anything drawn as background

were fuzzy-like and had some squiggly lines here and there (it was even more noticeable in interior shots). With the new artstyle all the background lines are

sharp and straight, implying Odokawa's mental foggy condition was taken away.

🤯

I kept wondering about that style choice and this makes perfect sense!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Here's something interesting: Odd Taxi was initially pitched all the way back in 2016, and this was the first art done for it. Kabasawa, Tanaka, and Nagashima (the giraffe) were going to be the main characters with Odokawa just being a secondary character. Weird to think of how different the show would have been.

I'd love to see some prototype OVA of "what almost was".

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018

That giraffe looked like a pikachu glued sideways.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
In for Dragon Maid, Pirate girls, Aquarium Girls, Jahy-Sama....

....and getting my hopes up (despite my gut knowing better) for an escape from the status quo/endless summer that almost assuredly won't happen with Bakarina and co.!

(Also that Kumo Desu Ga's episode 24 manages to come out soon and not suck like the last few, and/or we get a S2 announce - LN 6-10 have a lot better source material to pull from in terms of converting into anime, compared to the split-nature of the first 5 books)

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I was talking about Furuba on a discord channel I frequent and this other guy was like, "ok I watched the finale but I haven't seen the rest of the series but it didn't look that sad"

Yeah, no duh. You watched the last episode of a 3 season long drama 😂

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
You know, as much as Walk Like An Egyptian was a fitting enough pick for Stardust Crusaders' first ending...they missed the real obvious choice:

There is a 100% chance Araki was listening to this while planning out Stardust Crusaders, lol.

CHANGE GETTERRRRR ARC!

Still hard to believe it's happening after all these years. Hope a simulcast gets announced soon, though.

Indeed. I've been wanting a proper Getter Robo manga adaptation for some time. And while I'd prefer one from the beginning, I'll take finally getting a Getter Robo Arc anime.

I hope it gets as absolutely insane as the manga did, and sticks closer to the tone Arc was following.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
actually looking forward to

Remake our Life!
Maid Dragon S if
it keeps the quality of the first season but mainly because i miss kyoani
Higurashi just to see what dumb stuff they do for another season
Vanitas no Carte
Aquatope
and lovelive

everything else is a toss up as it airs lol this season feels not that great

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I guess the only thing ill watch is Bakugo Academia plus a couple of netflix shows, then just chip away at the backlog. The worst thing about having a backlog is though you start making excuses to yourself to not watch things lol.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i'm ready for the good parts of dragonmaid

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished watching Odd Taxi with my wife. It was a really wild contrast with Mare of Easttown, which we finished last night. Both ended up being surprising good murder mysteries.

I avoided all talk about Odd Taxi because I wanted my predictions to be clean and free from influence. Reading through Reddit it looks like pretty much all of my predictions/observations were on the money, except for the real killer. The show does a really good job of foreshadowing events and leaving enough clues to figure things out.

Overall I would say that Odd Taxi is another show to add to the recommendations list of "Anime that isn't really an anime." It would be best sold as The Yakuza game series meets Zootopia/Beastars.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
long time lurking in these threads, I talk about anime and mangas on smaller discord servers but I thought I might as well branch out here too. Just finished "that time I got reincarnated as a slime" and Wonder Egg Priority (looking forward to the special), both were really great!

been hearing about Odd Taxi quite a bit, never really looked too deep into it. from what I have seen it looks intriguing but hasn't quite grabbed me as something I want to watch. anything about it that you can sell me on aside from the murder mystery aspect of it?

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
been hearing about Odd Taxi quite a bit, never really looked too deep into it. from what I have seen it looks intriguing but hasn't quite grabbed me as something I want to watch. anything about it that you can sell me on aside from the murder mystery aspect of it?
If the Coen Brothers made an anime...

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Auquatope and Sonny Boy look like the only two shows that stand out for me so far. The pre-air episode for Sonny Boy was interesting enough, although it also looked like the kind of show that could very easily turn pretty trashy. Aquatope looked decent from the trailers.

Maybe Jahy or Dragon Maid just because I'd really like to have a good comedy show to watch and the past couple of seasons didn't have anything that would grab me in this regard.

Otherwise mostly a backlog season, which is fine since there's still a ton of stuff I need to catch up on.

I initially also thought that Odd Taxi looked like something I wouldn't enjoy and put off watching it despite the positive impressions. But then I gave it s shot and realized it's great.

Other than the murder mystery, the thing that stands out the most is just the great character writing. Despite being animals, the characters feel more like real people than anime characters, and it helps that they're basically all adults. And you'll probably be able to tell if you'll like it by the first episode so it's not like it's a big time investment.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
New thread just in time for the misery that will be Wonder Egg Priority's special episode/finale.

Sonny Boy looks very interesting visually and I want to know what it's about but also don't. Here's to hoping The Aquatope on White Sand ends up embracing the yuri and balances out Dragonmaid. Kageki Shoujo!! is also promising, been meaning to check out the manga.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Was surprised to wake up to see the last thread locked.

Oddtaxi was definitely the highlight of the season. Will have to look over what's coming up, but I'm definitely looking forward to and dreading this Wonder Egg Priority finale.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For now I'm just gonna be watching Godzilla, My Hero Endeavor, and Kageki Shoujo. I thought the manga was well done because it hit some topics I honestly didn't expect a series like that to cover.

It's more about the characters and their interactions than the murder mystery aspect of it. It's definitely one of those "More about the journey than the destination" shows. Most of the major mysteries lay enough hints where you know what's up by the time the reveal happens, but it doesn't detract from it at all because of how tightly everything is put together

Really though, the cast and dialogue carry this show. Been awhile since there was a show where I cared so much about the characters, and it feels like a Tarantino/Coen Bros production at times.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I read the synopsis as far as "The Kouka Kageki Musical Drama Academy is a high school that teaches musical theater like that at the Takarazuka Revue" before deciding this will be a good show we will all like so I should mention it here.
That's right. Think I'm going to have to actually subscribe to whatever this shows up on. I read the prequel manga and really enjoyed it so I'm login to have to watch this as it comes out.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
So is the Record of Ragnarok manga good or is this anime just a weak adaptation? I heard the manga was dumb fun but two episodes into the anime, the pacing is draining. They talk about and around fighting than actually fighting.

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully I will get to summer anime in summer. I just have one more Fall 2020 anime to go.

Though considering my teaching load...maybe I'll perpetually be around until Spring semester when I can reuse materials.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Furuba The Final - 13

;_______;

I'm going to miss these characters. I'm sure this was rushed compared to what it could have been but I thought this was a great ending nonetheless.

The very final scene got me, not going to lie. The voiceover did it. ;_________;
Kyo and Tohru doing what Katsuya and Kyoko couldn't but wished for them. ;______; The final reveal of Katsuya's face in the photos. God.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I might have just made an anime work friend...or thoroughly scared them with the size of my Spring watchlist.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Definitely feel the hype on Arc, also the cover of Neo vs Shin theme in PV2 was the hype one! Need to read it first tho

Dragonmaid should be fun, they're finally introducing the missing archetype and some people will hate her but there's some hilarious moments too

Status
Not open for further replies.