Oct 28, 2017
a movie ending? insanity. did people see this coming?

No, because it's all just baseless speculation by OP

The videos are an anniversary thing as people have said. Just a brand keeping people engaged until House of the Dragon comes out

There are a ton of prequel/spinoff projects. We know a lot about them, even the cancelled ones

No chance there's a secret sequel movie

The ending was bad, get used to it. There's no deep lore retcon true ending coming

Nov 2, 2018
In the books, Old Nan tells the story of the Night's King, the one I mentioned in the OP. It is supposed to have happened thousands of years ago, and he was defeated by his brother Brandon the Breaker and Joramun. The thing is, in the books, we see that people constantly try to interpret prophecies and it bites them in the ass every time. If a prophecy comes to past, some people will say it didn't, and if one didn't actually come to past they might say it actually did.

For example, Winterfell, the Wall, Storm's End, and Hightower, are all said to have been built by "Bran the Builder", in Storm's End case it even says it was a kid, which makes no sense. Well what a coincidence that those are specifically locations that are extremely likely to be soon destroyed in the events coming (and in some cases it was the case in the show as well), at a time when we know a king Bran, a kid, will be king. So chances are it is actually a story of them being rebuilt after a great war, the one coming (in the books).

So what we see is that as seers foresaw the future and told what they had seen, over time as people repeat those stories they shift into stories about the past instead of stories about the future. And in the same way some stories that are actually about the past are retold as if they were yet to come. You can't trust stories, what people say, it's a big point in the book.

With the Night's King story, which supposedly happened thousands of years earlier, it fits almost perfectly with where the show ended, as if you could just add it to the show's ending and it would fit perfectly. Which is very strange.

Also, the book series is A Song of Ice & Fire. And the word song is constantly used as an analogy of for "sword", because stories are used like a weapon. At the end Bran says he'll look for Drogon. Why? Because the Ice threat is gone, but the fire one remains, and he wants to eliminate it as well. But if the Night's King story was to happen, that would be something Bran would want to stop; Jon would be tempted to go far north to find a lover (Ygritte or Daenerys, who knows), and become a new Night's King, and Bran would seek to defeat him, probably by taking control of Drogon to do so. There is also a possibility that the story of the Night's King is wrong, as Old Nan literally says the Night's King's name was Brandon Stark and that he may have slept in Bran's very bed, and Old Nan is never wrong. In that case Jon would be going north to find "The Three Eyed Raven"'s actual source of power and kill it. The reason the story would make Brandon the Breaker the hero is because the Three Eyed Raven has seen his own end coming and he fucked around with the story.

Also, in the books, "kinslaying" is a huge deal, you are almost guaranteed to be "cursed" if you kill family. But it seems that this has been devised precisely so that when the brothers would eventually meet (the Night's King and Brandon the Breaker), one would fear killing the other because it's supposed to be oh so abhorrent to specifically kill someone from your own family. Since The Three Eyed Raven literally implants visions in people's heads to control where the future ends up, that would have been a cultural notion borne out of his desire to protect himself from his own end at the hands of his brother.

Old Nan even says to Bran when he tells her he hates her stupid stories that "I know of a story of a boy who hated stories", well of course, because he knows his own end is coming; the Night's King stories says as much.

But in the the show they renamed Robert Strong or whatever to the mountain because they were worried people wouldn't get it.

How you visually display and explain the story you just told sounds like a nightmare. You'd need a Tyrion narrated MGS4 slideshow

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
I'm still hyped for more stuff set in the world. I mean GoT did have pretty good run, even if got worse as it progressed. But it's slim pickings for high budget fantasy shows. At least Amazon is stepping up with Lord of the rings and Wheel of times. Hopefully somebody would pick Blade itself trilogy.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
After the laughable handling of The Night King in the last season of GOT, I somehow don't think this slogan packs any punch anymore, but you do you, HBO

Oct 28, 2017
I mean they could story-wise easily do a season 9.

The season 8 finale says out loud that Drogon was seen heading "east", they could easily set it up that she's taken to Volantis and resurrected by a red priestess, just as Jon Snow was resurrected by Melisandre.

That would be terrible. If Red Priests could just resurrect everyone at will that would ruin the stakes.

Melisandre resurrecting Jon was a one-off event, Thoros resurrecting Beric was just there to set it up (and there's Stoneheart in the books, but that's a whole other thing). Leave it at that, no more resurrections

Maybe they will do a sequel one day, but Dany should stay dead

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still hyped for more stuff set in the world. I mean GoT did have pretty good run, even if got worse as it progressed. But it's slim pickings for high budget fantasy shows. At least Amazon is stepping up with Lord of the rings and Wheel of times. Hopefully somebody would pick Blade itself trilogy.

I am in the middle of The Blade Itself and I already love the characters. The first law trilogy would work very well for TV, I'd say.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
There are two shows that sunk their final seasons so bad it made me never want to watch even a second of their best stuff ever again. The first one was Dexter, the second one is this shit.

I don't know how much HBO is investing in sequels, prequels and other kinds of Game of Thrones media, but I doubt they'll see the return on investment they're seeking from this.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
After what they did with the show, most people want come back, and to be honest, GoT is the only show (and the one i loved most), where the last season ruined the whole franchise for me. And the saddest part is, it could have been one, if not even the biggest thing ever for me personally.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody cares about GoT anymore lol
They'll be smarter to show a trailer for the prequel shows tbh

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Show started to go off rails in season five when they didn't rely on the books anymore as a framework and pretty clear that the hacks in charge started losing interest after they got their red wedding in season three. The idea that there's people on Twitter demanding redoing season eight is just... lol.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
There are two shows that sunk their final seasons so bad it made me never want to watch even a second of their best stuff ever again. The first one was Dexter, the second one is this shit.

I don't know how much HBO is investing in sequels, prequels and other kinds of Game of Thrones media, but I doubt they'll see the return on investment they're seeking from this.
Do people really go back and rewatch shows like that? I love hundreds of shows, whenever I attempt a rewatch I make it two episodes in I'm always like. "I already did this I'm good"

i don't think re-watching whole series is a barometer on anything.

I mean shit my favorite show of all time is the Sopranos.....I just got better things to do.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Nah. Winter came and went in 3 episodes. Spring is the new hotness.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Do people really go back and rewatch shows like that? I love hundreds of shows, whenever I attempt a rewatch I make it two episodes in I'm always like. "I already did this I'm good"

I mean shit my favorite show of all time is the Sopranos.....I just got better things to do.

Yes, people rewatch shows.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

They will get it back en masse.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I would be very happy if it happened, but Im not sure how it would be possible. The issues of late Game of Thrones run much deeper than just "oh the last season was bad". The two seasons before that were also not great.

To salvage the ending, a movie or simply a remake of the last season would not do. One season is not enough. The show needed at least 3 more seasons to give the events the gravitas and time they needed to be convincing. One of the greatest strengths of the first 4 seasons is how they really took their time with everything to build up the world and characters as needed, this got totally lost in later seasons. The series needed atleast 11 seasons.

Last edited:

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
You can't ruin the show's story and characters with the worst abortion of a season of TV ever, then go "hey, here's a real ending, lol".

Either by erasing season 8 from history or trying to continue on from it.

Neither will work.

HBO let D&D ruin it and that's a decision they have to live with now. Everyone is still mad and/or moved on.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This tweet is doing numbers though

they should really just reboot it or reboot the ending. who cares. the audience still exists

Tweet is doing numbers but a lot of it is people trashing the effort to rebuild excitement.

The ending was really bad, but the entire second half of the series was increasingly problematic. And 8 seasons really isn't enough to get the character arcs in line with the plot points at the end. It was all rushed, and I can't see any production forking investing the money to really FIX this story. They're probably better off hoping to court people via the prequels.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017

Yes people do of course lol

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying "remake season 8" like the show wasn't nosediving in quality after two or three seasons. The final season was just the shit frosting on a largely shit cake.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
#winteriscoming on HBO's Twitter today and yesterday on George's blog is all I got.

If you mean the storyline, yes it makes sense, but it's a theory of course.

The problem, to me, is that the storyline doesn't make sense. At all. Just because we're basing this story on Old Nan tales is weird. It wasn't a prophecy she was relaying, just strange to me.

Bran doesn't scream The Prince that was Promised at all. And Jon would not be Azor here, because he would be the Night's King.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, of course people rewatch shows. Just not this one.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
I'm so glad i never got to start the books because I would be part of ya'll being constantly mad at R.R.Martin.
Once he's done with it, i'll be reading dem books like an enchanted kid.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People out here acting like season 8 is where it jumped the shark. The show was falling apart since season 5, there's fundamental issues stretching all the way back to then they'd have to fix if they wanted to redo things.

But they won't, because this theory is crazy talk.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
The problem, to me, is that the storyline doesn't make sense. At all. Just because we're basing this story on Old Nan tales is weird. It wasn't a prophecy she was relaying, just strange to me.

Bran doesn't scream The Prince that was Promised at all. And Jon would not be Azor here, because he would be the Night's King.
There's also the fact the Nights King is a specific numbered commander in the Night's watches history- it's not just a legend, there's a specific person in the sequential Night commanders that it refers to

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Feel sorry for Emilia Clarke and the rest of the cast. They put great work in.

lol don't feel sorry for them they were paid extremely well feel sorry for all the crew who worked around the clock 24/7 to get this show up to the quality it was known for the behind the scenes documentary for s8 really shows just how much had work goes into making a huge show like this and that cast barely scratch the surface of what it involves

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Game of Thrones could have been the new Star Wars. It was on its way there, even in its now sorry state it changed (television) storytelling forever. And then it just went off a cliff.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
tenor.gif

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
lol don't feel sorry for them they were paid extremely well feel sorry for all the crew who worked around the clock 24/7 to get this show up to the quality it was known for the behind the scenes documentary for s8 really shows just how much had work goes into making a huge show like this and that cast barely scratch the surface of what it involves
Crew as well for sure, production was great.
Game of Thrones could have been the new Star Wars. It was on its way there, even in its now sorry state it changed (television) storytelling forever. And then it just went off a cliff.
I wonder if the spin offs can mitigate some of the harm. A dunk and egg series would be great.

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
Nope, I've moved on with the resolution that my time spent reading the books, watching the series and being engrossed in the story was an absolute waste of time.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Jesus people will read into anything and not see the obvious that it's the 10th anniversary of the show this week of course HBO will big it up it's one of the biggest shows they have ever made

the best you could hope for with season 8 is they had allot of unused footage that can be added back into remastered episodes they will not remake the entire season again that's just ridiculous

the syder cut only happened because like 90% of it was complete before he left and hbo max knows it will gain advertising for there brand new streaming service

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

All because D&D wanted to rush off and make Star Wars. But then their shit rush job on S8 cost them their Star Wars job.

w3huyfcxnjd6.gif

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I'm pretty sure this is all just building up to the 10 year anniversary re-watch thing.

A friend of mine got spent a chest with a bunch of merch in it all related to the Anniversary coming up, pretty sure it's just that.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
All because D&D wanted to rush off and make Star Wars. But then their shit rush job on S8 cost them their Star Wars job.

w3huyfcxnjd6.gif
How exactly did they rush off to Star Wars they were announced as creating a new trilogy of Star Wars in February 2018 GOTS8 was already filming at that point and GOT scripts have to be locked down and planned well in advance of filming because of the scale of the show so I don't agree with this thing that thrown around all the time