Drblitzk

Dec 9, 2020
These threads need more click baity titles like the ones for the UK sales threads. Something like "Game Building Garage doubles sales of FF7 Remake and R&C combined". That would certainly get the rest of Era's attention lol

We get enough undesirables here, that is the last thing this thread needs.

oh there's a reason

tenor.gif

looooooool

Rachet doing similar to two big Nintendo exclusives is not a click bait title and nothing on the UK charts are nonsensical data

If Rachet was compared with bravery default 2 or late port/free upgrade, that would be click bait.

Just an example^

They are click baity because they incite console wars, my game is doing better than yours, even if it's true there is absolutely no reason to put that on the title, if you are interested in the numbers, you enter the thread and find out.

Anyway, for the numbers this week, I think everything is about expected?, With PS games continuing the decline and GBG kind of over performing, but like Gibson said it is in line with other surprise announcements from Nintendo like Labo, RFA and that Mario Kart toy.

Something I find interesting is that we haven't seen the Switch grow for more than 2 week, there is usually a lower week every 3 weeks for some reason, I wonder why.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Sorry I need to vent.
I should not engage to pointless conversation. Some people said Xenoblade 2 could cost $100m in that $50m JPRG. I dont have any come back lol.

P/S : Is there ever a Tales game could have $50m budget?

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Sorry I need to vent.
I should not engage to pointless conversation. Some people said Xenoblade 2 could cost $100m in that $50m JPRG. I dont have any come back lol.

P/S : Is there ever a Tales game could have $50m budget?
Well it could lol. I mean I don't think it cost $100m, probably way less, but i guess the point is nobody knows for sure because devs rarely reveal their game's budget.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Well it could lol. I mean I don't think it cost $100m, but i guess the point is nobody knows for sure because devs rarely reveal their game's budget.
Doubt Nintendo spends 100m on a JRPG series that is considered a success when it sells over a million.

Just common sense and sales expectations in consideration.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Xenoblade 2 cost 50 million.

Now maybe now that the series has grown we can expect a higher budget.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Doubt Nintendo spends 100m on a JRPG series that is considered a success when it sells over a million.

Just common sense and sales expectations in consideration.
I know lol, just saying dev budget could be higher or lower, and we can't really know until they say if it's profitable or state the budget.
Outsourcing probably help keep the cost down a lot though.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Theres alot of posters who think that a games budget is tied to its map size, so its not surprising that some people think its a huge budget game.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Jrpg devs tend to be great at knowing when and where to spend the money, Monolith Soft and Falcom are great examples of this.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Currently hoping it can show some growth over MH4. That would be the ideal result.
While I also hope so (just because it is so good), the game's sales already proved its point, and even selling as much as MH4 in Japan (4.1) would be great (and quite likely imo). Let's see what numbers Capcom provide in their next financial meeting (end July or beginning August will have numbers up to end June I think), and how much Gibson says Japan's share is from that. Unless there is another PR before that, but I don't see that happening - while the game is still selling WW (still at full price), it's understandably no longer at the same pace.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Tetsuya Takahashi interview from October 2018 when Xenoblade 2 was at 1,53m.

"From a sales perspective, I have to say Xenoblade Chronicles 2 exceeded my expectations. We really saw more people pick the game up and experience it in the North American and European territories than we thought would do so."

www.usgamer.net

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Postmortem: Breaking Down the Inaugural Switch RPG's Success With Tetsuya Takahashi

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for the Nintendo Switch is a sometimes-inaccessible game dotted with inconsistent character designs and visual glitches. It was also o...

It must be one of the few high budget games its team didn't expect to sell more than 1m.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If most JRPGs are fortunate to ship over 1 million, much less sell, I'd have a hard time imagining many budgets being as high as $50 million.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 budget is an old painful story here, it was compared even to Monster Hunter World.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still a believer in 5+ million. The servicing aspect and pro patch will do its work and keep the legs strong for a while.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I can see why Game Builder Garage is catching on in Japan because those trailers Nintendo used to market the game are incredibly catchy.

How can you watch this trailer and not consider buying the game lmao. It's so damn catchy lol.

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
I have a question that I've wondered for a while. Which has sold more in Japan:

Non-Nintendo Fighting games released since January 21st 1999 (Smash 64 launch date) or The combined sales of all Nintendo fighting games (Mainly Smash, but I guess also ARMs and Pokken)

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
You can downplay it all you want it (and I agree that beating xbox one doesn't mean much, even if it's a better sign to do it than not), but it was that exact head to head you were talking about when saying it was the worse performing xbox ever.

What we have right now is xbox series home console, only 3504 behind xbox one, with normal stock it would go above within 1 month (but I doubt it will have sotck levels that good), plus xbox is no longer just the home console like it was back then, now there's the whole pc space which is small in Japan but growing some, plus mobile (xcloud) will come into place later this year, that's all reasons to believe it will be a much more successful generation in Japan(won't come close to x360 I think, by most metrics, but would be wonderful if it did), should help get more jp support for the ww scenario (the most important part of the equation) all net positive for xbox players.
While I also want to see the XBS doing better too, it's still just such a low bar to sell more hardware than XB1. Software so far at retail went from bad with XB1 to now nonexistent. When Chris mentions the total lack of retail sales unless Microsoft foots the bill + preorders (so like 500 sales for a title), it's just a really sad state of affairs for their Japanese sales.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
While I also want to see the XBS doing better too, it's still just such a low bar to sell more hardware than XB1. Software so far at retail went from bad with XB1 to now nonexistent. When Chris mentions the total lack of retail sales unless Microsoft foots the bill + preorders (so like 500 sales for a title), it's just a really sad state of affairs for their Japanese sales.

Sure doesn't exist at all, everything is digital only. It's a long process, they need to have enough consoles with physical media to make sense for 3rd parties. For starters it sure would help if they could ship 2k+ XSX every week, work with more jp stores, over the last few months I've noticed more and more jp stores starting to have a small xbox section (something that was lost early on last gen) over on twitter, but it's baby steps, they need to pay for shelf space, grow brand awareness (the Vtubers colab was/is a great idea, keep doing that, I know scarlet nexus ads on TV only show xbox even in Jp.. that's great as well.) there's always things they can do, like enter talk shows with public figures talking xbox and such like they used to do with xbox 360, I feel they might be waiting for xcloud full release in Japan to push xbox more there, Korea wise they invested quite a big into xcloud stuff, so I can see the same here.

It's such a untapped market for xbox these days, anything works as a net positive, you can only grow from last generation, that makes it cool to follow, anything from seeing xbox partner with marvelous on indie initiatives, from hearing about xbox TGS plans (something they didn't last gen aside from the 1st year) for the 2nd consecutive year. Seeing inti creates starting to put more games on xbox, seeing aniplex putting xbox into their plans day 1 with their biggest ip.. I can see the seeds being planted to be completely honest, but they need to push on.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Sure doesn't exist at all, everything is digital only. It's a long process, they need to have enough consoles with physical media to make sense for 3rd parties. For starters it sure would help if they could ship 2k+ XSX every week, work with more jp stores, over the last few months I've noticed more and more jp stores starting to have a small xbox section (something that was lost early on last gen) over on twitter, but it's baby steps, they need to pay for shelf space, grow brand awareness (the Vtubers colab was/is a great idea, keep doing that, I know scarlet nexus ads on TV only show xbox even in Jp.. that's great as well.) there's always things they can do, like enter talk shows with public figures talking xbox and such like they used to do with xbox 360, I feel they might be waiting for xcloud full release in Japan to push xbox more there, Korea wise they invested quite a big into xcloud stuff, so I can see the same here.

It's such a untapped market for xbox these days, anything works as a net positive, you can only grow from last generation, that makes it cool to follow, anything from seeing xbox partner with marvelous on indie initiatives, from hearing about xbox TGS plans (something they didn't last gen aside from the 1st year) for the 2nd consecutive year. Seeing inti creates starting to put more games on xbox, seeing aniplex putting xbox into their plans day 1 with their biggest ip.. I can see the seeds being planted to be completely honest, but they need to push on.
That's fair enough about baby steps. I don't know if Chris was being facetious, but if Scarlet Nexus sells only 500 retail units through preorders on Xbox and less than 20K units on PS, I doubt third parties would continue to partner with Microsoft at least in Japan. We'll see though..

I sadly feel unless Microsoft goes hard on the exclusives that also appeal to the Japanese market (maybe 1st party stuff now), they won't see much growth. Folks here are mentioning Xboxes being scalped out of Japan too, so it's hard to even know how many of this week's shipment stayed in Japan...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's fair enough about baby steps. I don't know if Chris was being facetious, but if Scarlet Nexus sells only 500 retail units through preorders on Xbox and less than 20K units on PS, I doubt third parties would continue to partner with Microsoft at least in Japan. We'll see though..
in this situation, I don't see why they wouldn't take free MS money. it still comes out on playstation at the same time where it'll do better

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
in this situation, I don't see why they wouldn't take free MS money. it still comes out on playstation at the same time where it'll do better
Well arguably advertising on Xbox lowered its sales on Playstation in this case. If people thought it was only on Xbox in Japan due to the marketing, they may have ignored the title right?

brutaka3

Oct 27, 2017
Really glad to see Jack Jeanne and Famicom Tantei Club back in the charts. Both games had very limited run, and it looks like there's demand for them. As soon as both got more stock, both reappeared.

Ryosha

Nov 16, 2017
For Xbox in Japan there is a big retail problem - there are only 2 (?) new games available in physical form (GoW Tactics and Chivalry) since Series S|X launch. The only JP game which is going to have a Disc edition in near future is Scarlet Nexus. That explains the lack of presence in Top-30 even for a big releases.

Last edited:

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
imagine watching the credits of xenoblade chronicles 2 and keep thinking that is not an high budget game.

just imagine being so stubborn.