How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
There's also quite some research showing that, even for general purpose computing, with some clever management you can usually quarter a cache size and only get a 5 to 10% perf penalty. It's all about what you're storing there and how.
I think AMD will readily admit this is a source of a lot of the IPC gains. It's in the realm of why not territory when you can have this much cache, 8 cores, and still only be 70mm^2. It's a different equation for consoles, particularly when a 5-10% hit isn't that big compared to the huge uplift compared to Jaguar.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I think AMD will readily admit this is a source of a lot of the IPC gains. It's in the realm of why not territory when you can have this much cache, 8 cores, and still only be 70mm^2. It's a different equation for consoles, particularly when a 5-10% hit isn't that big compared to the huge uplift compared to Jaguar.

Along with this, would the guaranteed SSD make up for the smaller amount of cache in any sense? Or are they unrelated?

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Along with this, would the guaranteed SSD make up for the smaller amount of cache in any sense? Or are they unrelated?
Unrelated. Cache is about having a small amount of instructions and data close to the CPU so it can grab it repeatedly and quickly as opposed to the CPU having to reach out to the relatively slow RAM. The SSD will help move large amounts of data into the relatively slow RAM that the cache helps the CPU avoid.

If the main RAM was extremely fast and low latency that would probably help a little bit, but nowhere near the effect of having a bit more cache.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Some mentioned that Flute was updated with 32mb, that's why I was confused
I think at this point we'll have to wait to know for sure.

Irt: internet talks
I'm getting 500mbps both ways for 80 or so CAD. Unlimited.

Data caps were a thing in Canada even before the US. But it's been moving to unlimited on big cities more and more.

My gf lives in a village. For not even actual 10/1 she pays 35 with 150gig data limit. And well. There's no better option.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I'll give you that, materials are probably the most dated looking part of Toy Story. But so much else is just so clean and high quality. CG movies have a 'look' that games just can't replicate due to their real time nature, at least any time remotely soon.
Part of that "CGI look" can be actually achieved by using RT. Not full RT effects, but by using RT in order to fix artifacts in effects like depth of field in order to get a "CGI look".

I am going to guess 8 MB L3 cache, not the 32MB that desktop parts have.

What do Ryzen 3000 laptop parts have as far as L3 ?
Zen 2 laptop CPUs don't exist yet, but the desktop parts have 32MB in the 6 and 8 core CPUs and 64MB for the 12 and 16 core CPUs.

Zen+ mobile CPUs have half the L3 their desktop counterparts have, 4MB per 4 cores instead of 8MB.

Last edited:

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I moved to Canada and I'm with Bell now. Need to check what the package is but a speed test tells me it's should be around 150Mb. It buckles under pressure when all five people in my household are using it for streaming/gaming.

I'm on Rogers 1GBps for $75, people on my street are getting offered that for 45 and Bell was offering 30 for the equivalent speeds. Shop around, surely you can pressure Bell retention or play one off the other for a better deal.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Remember console cpu also don't have nearly the overhead a cpu has on pc. There is a reason cache is lowered when consoles are being designed

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Your CPU is ~40% faster than a 1700X, the allegedly equivalent to the PS5's CPU, so you should be just fine.

Thanks for the reply. My only fear with that though is it has 50% more threads. I guess its if the boost in speed makes up for the lack of threads.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm on Rogers 1GBps for $75, people on my street are getting offered that for 45 and Bell was offering 30 for the equivalent speeds. Shop around, surely you can pressure Bell retention or play one off the other for a better deal.

Honestly, I haven't really looked into it since I arrived a few weeks ago. When I get a bit of time I will. Thanks for the info. though. Rogers sounds like they may be the way to go.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Honestly, I haven't really looked into it since I arrived a few weeks ago. When I get a bit of time I will. Thanks for the info. though. Rogers sounds like they may be the way to go.

Check out RFD, people talk about deals and what promos they are offered in some of the isp megathreads. I think reps hang around there as well and reply to people asking for renewal promos or better deals in comparison to what others post.

Sep 28, 2019
mhm i would like to throw something in here shortly -
@ anexanhume

Would you agree that this system would be a close Approximation to the vanilla PS4?

this Guy test all kinds of Games on his CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHZ HD7850 System.

I know PS4 has 7 Cores available for Games but this Phenom is in this test :

- better in every Aspect than the Desktop Jaguar.

My Point is that, iam tired of this unfair Tests of Multiplattform Games with the use of an i3 or i5 even, CPUs that are Lightyears beyond the Jaguars..

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
mhm i would like to throw something in here shortly -
@ anexanhume

Would you agree that this system would be a close Approximation to the vanilla PS4?

this Guy test all kinds of Games on his CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHZ HD7850 System.

I know PS4 has 7 Cores available for Games but this Phenom is in this test :

- better in every Aspect than the Desktop Jaguar.

My Point is that, iam tired of this unfair Tests of Multiplattform Games with the use of an i3 or i5 even, CPUs that are Lightyears beyond the Jaguars..

Not that person, but 7850/7870 can compete well with PS4 from what i have seen, but damn the 2GB limit is indeed a problem on some titles, you would really have wanted a 7950 at least to get PS4 parity.
The 2070/2080 will run into this issue with next gen games, not having enough VRAM despite having the general performance of next gen consoles, ironically the 1080 Ti might age better.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Is Jaguar CPU inside PS4/X1 really a "tablet" cpu? Like CPU that they put in tablets or low end notebooks?Or is it maybe something on par with Intel's Pentium cpu's?(level under intel's i3)

If that's true then going from Jaguar to new Ryzen will be like going from Fiat Multipla to brand new BMW M3

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Is Jaguar CPU inside PS4/X1 really a "tablet" cpu? Like CPU that they put in tablets or low end notebooks?Or is it maybe something on par with Intel's Pentium cpu's?(level under intel's i3)

If that's true then going from Jaguar to new Ryzen will be like going from Fiat Multipla to brand new BMW M3
Not exactly, Tablet CPU was more of a meme that PC gamers said about Consoles that is generally accepted as fact now, Jaguar was used in Desktop's too with APU's, it just wasn't very popular, the problem is the architecture itself is just mediocre, not that it's somewhat a Tablet/Notebook focused design.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys another thread coming to an end .the ride has been wild haha.
At this point, It's not about ps5 or scarlet but it's about the friends we made along the way :p love and positive vibes to all in the thread . Cheers

Sep 28, 2019
Not that person, but 7850/7870 can compete well with PS4 from what i have seen, but damn the 2GB limit is indeed a problem on some titles, you would really have wanted a 7950 at least to get PS4 parity.
The 2070/2080 will run into this issue with next gen games, not having enough VRAM despite having the general performance of next gen consoles, ironically the 1080 Ti might age better.

Well , on PC you hear in Forums often when it comes to those Copmarisons - that they have also the Main Ram available - so i would say let them having it.
Since my Goal is to finaly have proof that Hardware indeed has an intrinisc performance Edge if used in a Console because of Low Level Access to Hardware
and other secret sauce recipes i would argue that if there is no 100% Match of the GPU it is not the foult of the Console, right?!

But i see where you coming from :)

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Doubtful about that.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Well , on PC you hear in Forums often when it comes to those Copmarisons - that they have also the Main Ram available - so i would say let them having it.
Since my Goal is to finaly have proof that Hardware indeed has an intrinisc performance Edge if used in a Console because of Low Level Access to Hardware
and other secret sauce recipes i would argue that if there is no 100% Match of the GPU it is not the foult of the Console, right?!

But i see where you coming from :)
The best comparison game would be something like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, it has a good DX12 backend that would get closer to Consoles lower level access.
Doubtful about that.
I probably should have said "might" but i feel like 8GB isn't enough.

Deleted member 16753

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's one big one, but do you have 10GBps ethernet in your computer?

No, I take it on faith that I have that speed.

The closest I got was running 6 simultaneous speeds tests on 4x 1Gb Ethernet connection and 2 300Mb wireless connections, all of which maxed out the connections when accounting for overheads.

Vodafone have recently delivered letters saying 500mb & 1tb symmetrical connections will be available on the new year so not all bad

I don't think you really mean 1tb ;)

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Next thread is the last thread without official info for next gen . Let that sink . We r nearly there

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
reminder:
player-traversal-mechanics-in-the-vast-world-of-horizon-zero-dawn-75-638.jpg

We will probably see motion matching in horizon 2.

I find the most problematic thing for games (think RDR2) is that it's either natural animation OR responsive controls; it looks like motion matching could help a lot in that respect.

In regards to Horizon, I really loved the first game but its most glaring flaw was the janky traversal. Motion matching + a better traversal system would be really welcome.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
Was jaguar cache lowered vs the PC versions?
No, it wasn't lowered. The CPUs inside PS4 (and XB1) are basically two AMD Athlon 5150 low-power desktop CPUs in a single die. You can look up the specs if you want. 5150 is actually a 4-core, 1.6 GHz CPU with 2MB L2 cache, no L3.

Sony and MS asked AMD to put two of these 4-core modules in a single die for their consoles for a total of 8-cores, thus the L2 cache is also now doubled for a total of 4MB (2MB each module). While Sony left the CPU frequency at stock, MS was able to increase it up to 1.75 GHz for XB1, a 9.4% increase over PS4.

It was designed to go inside notebooks or very low-power SFF desktops to handle basic office tasks involving Word, Excel. It competed with Intel's Atom lineup which were also ultra-low-voltage processors for netbooks, etc. In comparison Intel's Pentiums of that era were miles ahead of Atom and AMD's Jaguar.

Status
Not open for further replies.