How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
With the way things are looking, if Matt doesn't get here soon to "set things right" like the last time, some folks are gonna be jumping through enough hoops to make a circus jealous.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The 12 GB usable.... I am unsure how to feel about that portion of the rumour. Hopefully, Sony can pull off another PS4 moment and stick another 4GB of usable RAM in there.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I want to add something more to my Debby Downer Persona:

I think 5700 chips are down binned chips that would be not capable to reach clock speeds of a 5700XT. For me that is the reason you see lower clocks on 5700 in general (reference design & AIB designs).

To put this into a console perspective: This would mean a lot of binning for consoles. The more binning the more cost and the less yield. IMO not a good idea for a console.

My Nostradamus Persona tells me that the #2000MhzBelieversClub is out for a disappointment ...

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Interesting points.
Why only 1700 - 1755mhz? Why not higher like 1800mhz?

Eurogamer suggested 48cus (4 disabled) 44cus usable would be possible in a 380mm2 SoC.

Things will be really interesting (and brutal) if PS5 has a small GPU advantage but scarlett has a CPU advantage.

I wonder what GPU + cooling system would be cheaper

36cus @ 2000mhz

Or

40cus @ 1755mhz
I am using 1755Mhz cause that is AMDs advertised "game clock" for their 5700XT GPU. Which is said to be the clock people should be expecting most times with that card.

Well, if Scar has 44CU usable @1755Mhz that would make it sit at 9.8TF to the PS5s 9.2TF. I can even at that point see MS pushing for ~1800Mhz to hit 10TF. Or its 40CU @ 175Mhz which yields 8.9TF in which case I can also see MS pushing for 1800Mhz to land at 9.2TF too.

Either way whatever the case there isn't going to be a lot between the two.

Oct 25, 2017
Well see.
Doubt it.
Scarlett being 8TF box not gonna happen.

Some users calculated the size based on GDDR6 Memory size from the Scarlett Reveal.
I mean, they could both end up really close with PS5 having a slight edge. PS5 ending up stronger (or vice versa) doesn't have to mean the other will be that much weaker.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I want to add something more to my Debby Downer Persona:

I think 5700 chips are down binned chips that would be not capable to reach clock speeds of a 5700XT. For me that is the reason you see lower clocks on 5700 in general (reference design & AIB designs).

To put this into a console perspective: This would mean a lot of binning for consoles. The more binning the more cost and the less yield. IMO not a good idea for a console.

My Nostradamus Persona tells me that the #2000MhzBelieversClub is out for a disappointment ...

I presume the binning improves as the manufacturing process matures? Or no?

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
If Ariel is indeed 2GHZ, that bodes well for next year's desktop Navi.

That means we'll have 64CU desktop parts with 2.2ghz base, and 2.4ghz boost next year. ~19TF.

Desktop parts are always clocked at least 10% faster than the console ones.

AMD is back?

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes.
My point is, the preview can be anything...
A 52CU @ 1.0GHz, a Vega 56 GPU. We don't know.
But the Scarlett SOC is bigger, much bigger. Like 40~60mm2 bigger.
Doubt a 380mm2+ SOC will be weaker than 9TF.
Even if Scarlett is 44CU GPU, they can clock the GPU higher than 1.6GHz.
The rumour from Reiner is wrong for sure.

Yup.
But the size alone is bigger, 60mm+
No L3 Cache is this size.

The arguments based on the die size of a flimsy cg mock up seem flimsy at best...Can't believer you are putting so much emphasis on that. That is literally grasping at straws.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Reiner/Colin rumour?
No evidence at all Scarlett is weaker.
Probably the rumour is wrong based on early preview devkits.
If we are looking at Scarlett video, the SOC around 380mm2+... Scarlett will be more powerful for sure.

Because the early preview Devkits.
Like many said.
Reiner/Colin rumour is wrong.
Or half of the 380mm+ SOC is Raytracing/L3Cache.
Or MS don't give a fuck and will release a Lockhart 4TF box and not the Anaconda.
lol

Let's put this one to rest. In a tweet, Reiner clarified that what he is hearing is that ps5 was stronger not based on devkits but the TARGETS each one set. So apparently the target for Sony was higher than ms

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
Okay, I will identify myself as a Debby Downer because I still doubt we see 2000Mhz in a console.

The reason is simple: If I look at the cooling requirements of current board partner cards to actually reach those clocks, I cannot imagine it.

Just at this stage the only AIB card that is actually achieving 2000 Mhz air cooled on Navi is the ASUS Strix and if you have not seen that card, it is big and has 3 fans! The card also still gets loud unless you select the Silent BIOS, but then temps go up quite a bit.

So no, I don't see it in a small form factor a console is.

How can you doubt when people have already even settled the price 😂

Feb 10, 2018
I am using 1755Mhz cause that is AMDs advertised "game clock" for their 5700XT GPU. Which is said to be the clock people should be expecting most times with that card.

Well, if Scar has 44CU usable @1755Mhz that would make it sit at 9.8TF to the PS5s 9.2TF. I can even at that point see MS pushing for ~1800Mhz to hit 10TF. Or its 40CU @ 175Mhz which yields 8.9TF in which case I can also see MS pushing for 1800Mhz to land at 9.2TF too.

Either way whatever the case there isn't going to be a lot between the two.

It's going to be interesting seeing the different approaches, but after reading Colbert's posts that you need an iceberg and a tornado to cool Navi at high temps is starting to make me think 2000mhz is bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they could both end up really close with PS5 having a slight edge. PS5 ending up stronger (or vice versa) doesn't have to mean the other will be that much weaker.

Yes.
That's not the problem.
The problem is... Why @60mm2+ bigger than PS5?
More Raytracing?
More CPU Cores?
More GPU Cores?
SRAM 2.0?
Can PS5 achieve 2.0GHz with more than 36CU?
All the info's we have don't match.
Or Reiner rumour is totally wrong, or the Komachi info's are totally wrong, or the Scarlett video is totally wrong.

The arguments based on the die size of a flimsy cg mock up seem flimsy at best...Can't believer you are putting so much emphasis on that. That is literally grasping at straws.

The Scorpio CG was 100% right.

Let's put this one to rest. In a tweet, Reiner clarified that what he is hearing is that ps5 was stronger not based on devkits but the TARGETS each one set. So apparently the target for Sony was higher than ms

Yes, we know that.
Target and final specs are different things.
We need to know if Microsoft is going with a better Lockhart or Anaconda.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
It will be interesting to see how the fuck Sony will cool this thing. I mean, it's not impossible, there are gaming laptops dissipating more than the 220W tops this thing will be putting out, and they do so in cases that are relatively more cramped than your average console.

The reference card has a Vapor Chamber and it performs worse than the Asus Strix. In clock, in noise and in temps!

It's almost like vapor chambers aren't this magical cooling thing.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh?
You said Sony can also change clocks? Implying that the ps5 could grow in power just as much as scarlett could.
whats wrong with what i said and what does that have to do with you assuming that i said scarlett < 9.2 tflops.

we have literally seen the ps5 clocks jump from 1 to 1.8 to 2.0 ghz in a matter of six months. i am pretty sure Phil didnt reveal the tflops count because he is looking to do the same. but that doesnt mean cerny has been sitting on his ass this entire time. Reiner said devs told him PS5 is more powerful based on what they know. if you guys are holding out hope that MS will increase the clocks to beat the PS5, great by all means but look at the recent developments and know that Sony could do the same.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
If PS5 is 2Ghz what the hell is Scarlett doing to be weaker?

That is an interesting development, which probably means we are getting something in the 36-44cu range.

This makes sense. Next gen won't be competing with high end 2020 cards. Best we'll get is around 5700 XT performance.
If Scarlet is weaker, there will be meltdowns. The power narrative is something Microsoft is actively courting.

I think Scarlet will be more powerful but this PS5 sounds delicious.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It will be interesting to see how the fuck Sony will cool this thing. I mean, it's not impossible, there are gaming laptops dissipating more than the 220W tops this thing will be putting out, and they do so in cases that are relatively more cramped than your average console.

It's almost like vapor chambers aren't this magical cooling thing.

If i remember right sony had a patent on cooling but i can't remember what it was for .

Jan 17, 2019
Yes.
My point is, the preview can be anything...
A 52CU @ 1.0GHz, a Vega 56 GPU. We don't know.
But the Scarlett SOC is bigger, much bigger. Like 40~60mm2 bigger.
Doubt a 380mm2+ SOC will be weaker than 9TF.
Even if Scarlett is 44CU GPU, they can clock the GPU higher than 1.6GHz.
The rumour from Reiner is wrong for sure.

Yup.
But the size alone is bigger, 60mm+

So, Reiner, who talked with devs at E3, is wrong.
Scarlet's SOC is bigger than PS5's SOC? You saw somewhere PS5s SOC size? Like you said: Scarlett WILL BE more powerful for sure".

So, you're right, Reiner is wrong?

You need some really RELIABLE source to kill Reiner's tweet in any way since you directly mentioned him. So, any source on that or proof?

Oh, this is the source :

4761.jpg

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Team 12.9 tflops (which means mostly me and Xeontech),

It's with great sorrow and regret I am announcing my departure from Team 12.9 tflops. In light of recent events, our crazy 12.9 tflops prediction must be reevaulated and reassessed. 12.9 Tflops at 2.0 Ghz is simply impossible. I can no longer sanction this buffonnery.

Which is why I am now reviving Team 14.2 tflops. 56 CUs at 2.0 Ghz = 14.2 tflops. Recruitement is underway. We are currently accepting all applications regardless of race, gender or platform affiliation*.

All Avatar bets will be honored retroactively.

Nintendo fans need not apply

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Yes.
That's not the problem.
The problem is... Why @60mm2+ bigger than PS5?
More Raytracing?
More CPU Cores?
More GPU Cores?
SRAM 2.0?
Can PS5 achieve 2.0GHz with more than 36CU?
All the info's we have don't match.
Or Reiner rumour is totally wrong, or the Komachi info's are totally wrong, or the Scarlett video is totally wrong.

The Scorpio CG was 100% right.

Yes, we know that.
Target and final specs are different things.
We need to know if Microsoft is going with a better Lockhart or Anaconda.

I don't get what you're saying. If one is targeting higher than the other....it stands to reason that the one with higher target is going to be looking at better tech

Feb 10, 2018
whats wrong with what i said and what does that have to do with you assuming that i said scarlett < 9.2 tflops.

we have literally seen the ps5 clocks jump from 1 to 1.8 to 2.0 ghz in a matter of six months. i am pretty sure Phil didnt reveal the tflops count because he is looking to do the same. but that doesnt mean cerny has been sitting on his ass this entire time. Reiner said devs told him PS5 is more powerful based on what they know. if you guys are holding out hope that MS will increase the clocks to beat the PS5, great by all means but look at the recent developments and know that Sony could do the same.

Nothing is wrong with what you said, I don't understand how it means you think scarlett is more powerful.

After the reiner news I thought PS5 would be more powerful.
Frankly I don't care which one is more powerful, I will get both eventually, both platforms have game devs that are to good to miss.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I'm getting both PS5 and Scarlett. I don't care which ends up being more powerful, I just want the average baseline of both to be as powerful as possible because that lifts all boats, including PC games. developers can be more ambitious with their visions of gaming.

Oct 25, 2017
Scarlet's SOC is bigger than PS5's SOC. You saw somewhere PS5s SOC size? Like you said: Scarlett WILL BE more powerful for sure".

Any source on that or proof?

No.
That't the point.
If the Komachi thing is right, PS5 is 36CU 100%. The only way you can achieve 2.0GHz. Even so, some users don't believe it, like Colbert
They can't clock a console SOC GPU @ 2.0GHz with 44, 48, 52CU, with 36CU the Die size can't be bigger or the same size as @380mm2. So the Scarlett video still valid.
If Reiner is right and Komachi is right, we need to explain why the Scarlett SOC from the video is so big and less powerfull. So the video is fake/wrong?

RX 5700 XT Die Size (40CU): 251mm2
PS5 with 40CU / 4 Disable / 36CU + Zen 2 ( @70mm2 ): @321mm2?
Scarlett SOC from the video: @380mm2?

60mm2 for what? 320-Bit Bus? More CUs? More L3 Cache? More Raytracing?

I don't get what you're saying. If one is targeting higher than the other....it stands to reason that the one with higher target is going to be looking at better tech

Same tech, same arch.
One can Target 14TF on paper, the other can Target 12TF on paper.
Will both deliver?
Again, Target and Final Specs are two different things.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
If Scarlet is weaker, there will be meltdowns. The power narrative is something Microsoft is actively courting.

I think Scarlet will be more powerful but this PS5 sounds delicious.
Oh for sure, no console will be "weak".

Too many similarities in tech for one console to truly be stronger unless one is priced higher.

CPU should be comparable, still think RAM will be comparable, and the SSD is the only iffy part on how much either company can push out of it.

Also just in general, we have no reason to believe as far as I am aware, that PS5 will have a much smaller SOC than Scarlett. They could be comparable.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
No.
That't the point.
If the Komachi thing is right, PS5 is 36CU 100%. The only way you can achieve 2.0GHz. Even so, some users don't believe it, like Colbert
They can't clock a console SOC GPU @ 2.0GHz with 44, 48, 52CU, with 36CU the Die size can't be bigger or the same size as @380mm2. So the Scarlett video still valid.
If Reiner is right and Komachi is right, we need to explain why the Scarlett SOC from the video is so big and less powerfull. So the video is fake/wrong?

RX 5700 XT Die Size (40CU): 251mm2
PS5 with 40CU / 4 Disable / 36CU + Zen 2 ( @70mm2 ): @321mm2?
Scarlett SOC from the video: @380mm2?

60mm2 for what? 320-Bit Bus? More CUs? More L3 Cache? More Raytracing?

Deep breath.

It's a long road ahead to the first DF comparison article.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
Team 12.9 tflops (which means mostly me and Xeontech),

It's with great sorrow and regret I am announcing my departure from Team 12.9 tflops. In light of recent events, our crazy 12.9 tflops prediction must be reevaulated and reassessed. 12.9 Tflops at 2.0 Ghz is simply impossible. I can no longer sanction this buffonnery.

Which is why I am now reviving Team 14.2 tflops. 56 CUs at 2.0 Ghz = 14.2 tflops. Recruitement is underway. We are currently accepting all applications regardless of race, gender or platform affiliation*.

All Avatar bets will be honored retroactively.

Nintendo fans need not apply
I'm in.

Jan 17, 2019

Same crap how fat X1 has bigger SOC and it's less powerful than PS4. So, surely then 6 years ago images were wrong or fake because bigger SOC means it "must" be more powerful. Same tech, same arc.

I thought so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.