• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering the game uk pre orders are still up I don't think getting a pre order in is going to be too hard in general.

LonelyGay

May 18, 2019
Knowing my f**king luck, I'll go to bed and it will happen in the middle of the night. I feel burned after the Xbox Series X preorders were such a shit-show.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
The fact that UK pre-orders are still available tell you everything you need to know about how people feel about this model.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Considering the game uk pre orders are still up I don't think getting a pre order in is going to be too hard in general.
It's been the same with the OG Switch (preorders not being hard to get in the first days, probably due to the reactions to the January reveal), and the rest is history.

That said I don't believe the scarcity will be the same in this specific case, unless the $300 model stops being available, since the main audience for this model is mostly the audience that would buy a regular Switch if this one is not available.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
350€? That's actually a pleasant surprise if that turns out to be the standard price across Europe. That's only 20€ more than the 330€ the current Switch usually goes for. For that, the new Switch would actually be a very nice replacement for the current model for everyone looking into buying a Switch.
Yeah if it is around €350,- it is a better sale. but I don't know what the standard price of the v2 switch is in spain? Because in the netherlands it is around 329(some stores 319)

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
350€? That's actually a pleasant surprise if that turns out to be the standard price across Europe. That's only 20€ more than the 330€ the current Switch usually goes for. For that, the new Switch would actually be a very nice replacement for the current model for everyone looking into buying a Switch.
Yes, I'm actually surprised about the 350€ price point. If you don't have a Switch, it seems to be a no-brainer to get the OLED version for 20€ more. I'm curious how the regular Switch will sell without this 50€ gap in some countries. In France, it is priced at 330€.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Yes, I'm actually surprised about the 350€ price point. If you don't have a Switch, it seems to be a no-brainer to get the OLED version for 20€ more. I'm curious how the regular Switch will sell without this 50€ gap in some countries. In France, it is priced at 330€.

You could find the NSW at 299€ or less than that since day 1.
There may have been a few times where scarcity was a real thing and it went up but I certainly wouldn't consider 330€ the standard price.

Price for the past year for example
nsw-price070721pxjrc.png

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Should be fairly easy to pre-order. Stock might be quite poor after launch though, just my intuition on this

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to sell, just (imo) not significantly more than had this model not existed... Imo most of those that will buy it would have bought a new Switch anyway around the same time.

The point of the device is to keep sales at the high level they are for some times longer than it would have been without it, not to reverse the curve so yeah.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
There may have been a few times where scarcity was a real thing and it went up but I certainly wouldn't consider 330€ the standard price.

nsw-price070721pxjrc.png
Ah, you're right, I didn't check but the price seems to be hovering around 299€ for most stores for some time now. I was checking Micromania in France but they are known to have higher prices than the competition and they kept 329€. So the 350€ makes sense in that context then.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It's going to sell, just (imo) not significantly more than had this model not existed... Imo most of those that will buy it would have bought a new Switch anyway around the same time.
That's sort of where I'm at too. Nintendo's sales forecast included this, but seemed like a reasonable number they could have hit this year even if this wasn't a thing.

This unit will do its job, which is to keep the line-up fresh and keep sales high and inspire a relatively small number of people to upgrade. Nobody expects, like, any given new generation of iPad to blow the doors off as far as sales go and get every iPad owner to rush out and upgrade. The goal is to keep the product current and keep growing the base and keep driving sales a little bit higher each year.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018

nsw-price070721pxjrc.png
Never saw the switch here in the netherlands under 300. And at launch it was 329 everywhere. You could get it lower priced from other european countries. Like Belgium or France, if they send it to the Netherlands. But the standard price was at least at launch 330 here.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
The point of the device is to keep sales at the high level they are for some times longer than it would have been without it, not to reverse the curve so yeah.
I agree with you on the purpose of this model, but disagree that it will necessarily keep sales at the high level that they are. As I wrote "most of those that will buy it would have bought a new Switch anyway around the same time", so by implication IF less people were going to buy the $300 model this holiday season then this model will not change that trend in any significant way. Imo of course.

It is my belief that the percentage who were not going to buy a new Switch this year and now will buy one is negligible. What it WILL do is bring in more revenue, but IF this was supposed to delay any expected downwards trend, this or next year, I believe that won't work for Nintendo.

Last edited:

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
People still thinking this isn't going to sell lots and lots like everything Switch related are cute. Same song and dance everytime.

Don't be an arsehole. I'm not saying it won't sell lots. I think it'll sell well and might get one myself.

I'm just comparing this to whenever there is stock for PS5 or Series X and they sell out almost instantly.

Yes, it's just the UK and it might not be as supply contained as the new gen consoles, but I expected them to be gone already.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you on the purpose of this model, but disagree that it will necessarily keep sales at the high level that they are. As I wrote "most of those that will buy it would have bought a new Switch anyway around the same time", so by implication IF less people were going to buy the $300 model this holiday season then this model will not change that trend in any significant way. Imo of course.

It is my belief that the percentage who were not going to buy a new Switch this year and now will buy one is negligible. What it WILL do is bring in more revenue, but IF this was supposed to delay any expected downwards trend, this or next year, I believe that won't work for Nintendo.

It'll be enough of a new model to keep this year above last year, which should allow for a higher first declining year than it would have been without it. I think you underestimate the amount of people that will upgrade even if it won't be by huge amounts. It seems to be the perfect device to upgrade if you either own a year one Switch or a Lite. I don't think it's going to bring a significant new audience - the machine already sold 90M, it's past that - but it's going to help sales stay high this holiday when it should naturally have started to decline. And the higher MSRP will increase revenue per unit sold.

Don't be an arsehole. I'm not saying it won't sell lots. I think it'll sell well and might get one myself.

I'm just comparing this to whenever there is stock for PS5 or Series X and they sell out almost instantly.

Yes, it's just the UK and it might not be as supply contained as the new gen consoles, but I expected them to be gone already.

Hype for PS5 is incomparable with anything else tbh. Not even launch Switch was that level of frenzy. I wouldn't compare that trend with anything else, it's just an abnormal demand.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Never saw the switch here in the netherlands under 300. And at launch it was 329 everywhere. You could get it lower priced from other european countries. Like Belgium or France, if they send it to the Netherlands. But the standard price was at least at launch 330 here.

I have no knowledge whatsoever of others european markets, only speaking about France (which is indeed known to be a bit more competitive in term of pricing for Nintendo hardware/games)

SuperOctopus Micromania is historically known to have a markup on basically everything videogame/hardware related, which, for a videogame dedicated store is a bit of a shame (though lately the Zing part with goods has been taking more and more retail space so one could wonder if they still are dedicated to videogames or not)

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017

nsw-price070721pxjrc.png
Yeah the Switch's regular price is 330€ supposedly, and I got it at launch at 290€ (just looked and it was 294,74€ exactly) from Amazon France.
Wouldn't be surprised to see it at 329€, France has always been really cheap for Nintendo stuff, so I'm glad to live there lol

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I think im gonna preorder it just be safe, should i change my stance on it.
Worst case scenario is i get the best possible Switch and can check out some homebrew stuff with my old 2017 Switch.

The more ive been thinking about it....its actually quite the nice upgrade from the 2017 model, especially for someone that plays in portable mode alot. Will wait for more previews and hands-on but that bigger OLED screen and more battery life will be dope.

Last edited:

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
a part of me is telling me i dont need it, my normal switch is enough, but my tech junkie show off side is screaming to get it.....

Edit...nvm still no BT Audio

Last edited: