• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yes that's my point. That's why shit like Ice Oni will never ever work. Read an actual medical focused manga and see how tension is built there it just doesn't compare. One Piece just isn't a manga that is meant to be able to pull the same tension around the doctoring as something like team medical dragon and any attempt at trying to create that tension is just going to fall completely flat.
Hence it would be better if Oda just never ever does something as worthless and time wasting as Ice Oni again. Just focus on the patient/doctor relationship to show off chopper's doctoring chops. The minks showing gratitude for the strawhats and chopper saving them carries multitudes more emotional weight than me having to pretend yeah this Ice Oni virus really puts us in a tight situation, there is a real chance chopper won't make it with his magic solution in time *eye roll*.

I mean if you want to look at things that way nothing can not have tension when you break it down .
Chopper showing off his in world doctor skills and seeing a skill of what Marco DF can do for 2 to 3 chapters out of 100 not long .

Oct 25, 2017
We have an announcement

This thread had a 7 year long bet going..and some of you may not like this decision but ultimately we both agreed two L's were taken so we called it a tie.

Thank you

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you want to look at things that way nothing can not have tension when you break it down .
Chopper showing off his in world doctor skills and seeing a skill of what Marco DF can do for 2 to 3 chapters out of 100 not long .
Looking at things what way? Asking cause you immediately try to extend "that way" to somehow everything and now nothing can have tension when you break it down is the conclusion you draw, which just reads to me like a complete misread on what I mean.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
We have an announcement

This thread had a 7 year long bet going..and some of you may not like this decision but ultimately we both agreed two L's were taken so we called it a tie.

Thank you
star-wars.gif

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at things what way? Asking cause you immediately try to extend "that way" to somehow everything and now nothing can have tension when you break it down is the conclusion you draw, which just reads to me like a complete misread on what I mean.

If we know chopper going to save the day with his magic pills .
Then we also know SHs will win because of power ups or luffy MC etc etc .
The whole tension aspect for media kinda fall dull when look at certain aspects .

Even Katakuri couldn't have foreseen this

I did say a while back that no one could join but my FS get block by hype lol.

Saori

Avenger
Dec 12, 2018
Luckily I was able to prepare myself for this since the last chapter came out, but I still cried when Yamato didn't end up joining.

But I'm still happy nonetheless that we've got two great trans characters with Yamato and Kiku. Both of them mean a lot to me and my personal journey, as they do to the journey of some of my friends. I know Oda hasn't done the best job in the past on the topic, but seeing their inclusion really brought joy to me, like nothing else.

But before Yamato entered the scenes, I was more than happy to welcome Carrot on board, so if she's on the ship, I'm ready for her!

Seeing Luffy give the his flag to Momo was amazing! Hopefully we get some reactions shots to people encountering his flag at some point... Especially to the one right at the beginning of the Grand Line. I just like to imagine that some of the pirates just went down the reverse mountain again immediately upon seeing the flag on Laboon's face.

Overall I loved this arc, I wish that it didn't feel a bit rushed towards the end, but I'm also just bad with things ending, so that feeling comes up regardless.

Excited to find out what comes next, now that Wano is over, there are so many things I want to see and I can't quite decide what I want to see first.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
If we know chopper going to save the day with his magic pills .
Then we also know SHs will win because of power ups or luffy MC etc etc .
The whole tension aspect for media kinda fall dull when look at certain aspects .

Yep completely missed the point. Again read a medical manga in how it builts tension. Just generally think about how tension is successfully built and then think on why my argument has never focused on the end result but always the process.
Like if the argument at any point was "we know this going to happen so tension can't exist" how does it even make sense for me to argue for the difference in payoff for healing smile vs healing Ice Oni, there wouldn't be a difference if that was the point in both cases we would know the end point chopper healing and here I'm making the argument that one resonates emotionally more.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I would hate it if Chopper didn't show off his doctoring powers against someone using chemical warfare.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Don't think of it as Spy X Family leaving the One Piece OT, think of it as a entirely new thread so you can repost the art you've shared already.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
What an entirely dull chapter... the Yamato stuff was just LOL worthy. Thank god it is finally over at least.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yep completely missed the point. Again read a medical manga in how it builts tension. Just generally think about how tension is successfully built and then think on why my argument has never focused on the end result but always the process.
Like if the argument at any point was "we know this going to happen so tension can't exist" how does it even make sense for me to argue for the difference in payoff for healing smile vs healing Ice Oni, there wouldn't be a difference if that was the point in both cases we would know the end point chopper healing and here I'm making the argument that one resonates emotionally more.

Well i did not see anything in your post about smile users but if we using that .
I don't see that as a more emotionally pay off cause the first question i asking my self is how the fuck chopper heal that .
Like of course OP will never have the tension of a medical manga but like i said chopper doing stuff for 2 or 3 chapters not a big deal .

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Man I'd be a hell of a lot more down on this chapter we're it not for Super Heros. Thankfully my high from it can stop me from being sad that all the buildup was for a psyche. Fascinating that now Vivi has 3 more buddies in the "can be on the crew if they ask" club

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Well i did not see anything in your post about smile users but if we using that .
I don't see that as a more emotionally pay off cause the first question i asking my self is how the fuck chopper heal that .
Like of course OP will never have the tension of a medical manga but like i said chopper doing stuff for 2 or 3 chapters not a big deal .

I mean I'm not going to argue with you about how you feel about the manga. If you don't think the the people affected by smile crying but at the same time laughing genuinely for the first time in years from being healed is something powerful similar to how Zou thanking the strawhats for saving them was powerful, that's your view.
Your point of how the fuck chopper is going to heal that doesn't make sense to me because the answer to it will always be magic and has always been "magic". You already know the answer it has never changed and will likely never change. The most medical we ever got in One Piece is fake made up bloodtypes. And that's the entire point. One Piece as a manga just doesn't have the capacity to built up what is needed to ever make the healing process be an interesting struggle organically. Chopper will literally reach his dream through magic and we're all going to pretend it's medicine. But that actually doesn't really matter at least as long Oda doesn't try to focus on that part of it.

My argument is essentially you won't have medical tension ever in One Piece so instead of trying to waste time on worthless stuff like Ice Oni... if you want a way to show off choppers doctor chops do it through the emotional bond of patients and doctor cause regardless about how you feel about it that has worked for many others.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm not going to argue with you about how you feel about the manga. If you don't think the the people affected by smile crying but at the same time laughing genuinely for the first time in years from being healed is something powerful similar to how Zou thanking the strawhats for saving them was powerful, that's your view.
Your point of how the fuck chopper is going to heal that doesn't make sense to me because the answer to it will always be magic and has always been "magic". That's the entire point. One Piece as a manga just doesn't have the capacity to built up what is needed to ever have that side of it be satisfying. Chopper will literally reach his dream through magic and we're all going to pretend it's medicine. But that actually doesn't really matter at least as long Oda doesn't try to focus on that part of it.

My argument is essentially you won't have medical tension ever in One Piece so instead of trying to waste time on worthless stuff like that if you want a way to show off choppers doctor chops do it through the emotional bond of patients and doctor cause regardless about how you feel about it that has worked for many others.

You keep on saying it's magic but that is not the case with the Ice Oni virus or when he and CC save the minks .
Like Oda went out of his way to show there was a cure and Queen was cocky enough to give it away .
We knew chopper had the cure the question was how will he heal so much people in such a short time .
This way you see chopper show off his doctor chops by finding a way to heal as much people as fast as possible .

Him all of a sudden curing a DF problem would be magic and we already had that BS with the mink pill for zoro .

EDIT not everything need to have tension ,some times you just want show off certain aspects of characters \ something .

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Also gotta say I am actually sad Kin didn't have anything special for the last Wano chapter. He's the one we've been with the most and he's been adventuring with us for the longest. I get why Oda chose to focus on Momo for the end. But I'm also let down as I enjoy Kin waaay more than Momo.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Status
Not open for further replies.