• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I signed up for Apple Arcade since I got three months for free with my new iPhone only to realize that I don't want to play games on my phone too much, the iPad we have doesn't have enough space and my 2014 Macbook Air doesn't have enough power to run games. So now I'm thinking of setting up a Hackintosh on my gaming PC, I still would only be able to use my Intel UHD 630 as RTX cards don't work in macOS but hey it would be something I guess...

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
GDC State of the industry report is out and there's (as always) some good news about how important the PC platform is for devs:

VbhFKkm.png
nnFdp0D.png

ggmDDYY.png

EyrCHkq.png

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Epic games store managed to reach 70-90% fraud rate. That sounds a lot?

unknown.png

Apparently this was a thing too:

unknown.png

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Epic games store managed to reach 70-90% fraud rate. That sounds a lot?

unknown.png

Apparently this was a thing too:

unknown.png
I think that was during the Ubisoft "refund bug". People seem to forget that Ubisoft stopped selling in EGS for like a month+.

GDC State of the industry report is out and there's (as always) some good news about how important the PC platform is for devs:

VbhFKkm.png
nnFdp0D.png

ggmDDYY.png

EyrCHkq.png
I saw a simolar chart as the last one but for PC platforms. Surprised me how many devs were mainly in publisher owned platforms (so i assume MS Store, EA, Ubisoft, and Oculus?)

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I have some bad news for you:
Huh, it actually declined from the previous year. But all things considered, including Covid, 8% down isn't that bad. With the release of the Quest 2, VR now is much more accessible to players and developers, so it still has a bright future (though I hate it when games are exclusive to the Oculus store).

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Does the Bethesda launcher still not have cloud saves? The only thing I really lost when I had to reformat my C drive a while back were my DOOM Eternal saves. Guess I'll rebuy it on Steam when the deluxe edition is >=70% off.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I forgot that its even a thing. Damn...

Yeah, it was £12 cheaper at the time to get the Bethesda version via GMG than on Steam (£38 vs £50), only time I've pre-ordered/bought a game on launch since... 2007? Couple of months later it went down to £25 in the Steam Summer Sale :P Still, I had a great time with it, finished once on Ultra-Violence. Would happily play through again on Nightmare if I rebought on Steam and still need to play the DLC.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Yeah, it was £12 cheaper at the time to get the Bethesda version via GMG than on Steam (£38 vs £50). Couple of months later it went down to £25 in the Steam Summer Sale :P Still, I had a great time with it, finished once on Ultra-Violence. Would happily play through again on Nightmare if I rebought on Steam and still need to play the DLC.
We got lots of launchers now and honestly its starting to give me headache

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
We got lots of launchers now and honestly its starting to give me headache

The number one thing for me is Cloud Saves. What's weird is how it's inconsistent between platforms. Shenmue III for example doesn't have them with the Epic and Steam versions, but does have Cloud Saves via GOG Galaxy, though I guess that is more down to GOG implementing it than the devs.

1 gift from nded

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from nded nded!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

nded said:

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Assault Android Cactus - Won by Rosebud Rosebud (9 entries)

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Made a thread for the big release this week.

www.resetera.com

Total War: ROME REMASTERED |OT| - Filiae et Filii Romae OT

Release Date: April 29th 2021 Developer: Creative Assembly, Feral Interactive Publisher: Sega Platforms: Steam (Windows, Linux), Mac Store (Forthcoming) Price: £24.99/$29.99/€29.99 (Half price for owners of the original Total War: Rome on Steam until May 31st) Take command of one of three Roman...

Darn right.
I need to get this ASAP. I still have boxed copies for windows, and Mac.

I was hoping for moving everything to steam. Lol

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Good. More people use Windows store -> More people complain about Windows store -> More likely MS fix their shitty store.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
You'd have thought they'd realize that unless that smaller dev cut translates into cheaper prices for consumers, it won't move the needle by itself.

They need a storefront/launcher that works as well as Steam/GOG Galaxy, and gets positive word of mouth. Everyone that's ever been burned by GaFWL is gonna be cautious about using their store, if they hear at least one thing wrong with it.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
GFWL was kind of a separate thing whereas the MS Store is a part of the broader Windows ecosystem. So I would think it already has better potential for longevity.

About GOG Galaxy, I tried using it again the other day but it keeps losing connection to the attached logins and it's just a fraction too slow. Maybe my PC is just getting old idk. I quite like what they're doing with it, but it's just a hair away from being something I'd want to more regularly make use of.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
That MS news is great news for devs. A couple of years ago devs were stuck everywhere with the crappy 30/70 deal which was incredibly lucrative for the stores who see large profit with every single unit sold, while the devs need to recoup years of expenses first. Since Epic came on the scene, we now have 12% on two PC stores, and Steam and Apple have also made small cuts.

What's good for devs is good for gamers in the long run. If this trend of more reasonable distribution costs continues, that drives down their breakeven point, resulting in more flexibility to support games for longer, and ultimately lower prices.

I think MS might still bring their games to Steam later, but I also expect they'll demand a much better cut of the sales, so ultimately it'll be down to Steam with how greedy they want to be.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This doesnt bode well for MS games to still come out on Steam down the line.
Seems like they want to keep offering players the choice..
We believe it's important that players have a choice in where they purchase games and we want to make accessing content even easier. We know that the PC community uses multiple storefronts, which is why we also brought Sea of Thieves, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Age of Empires I, II, and III: Definitive Edition, and Forza Horizon 4 to Steam.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
What's good for devs is good for gamers in the long run. If this trend of more reasonable distribution costs continues, that drives down their breakeven point, resulting in more flexibility to support games for longer, and ultimately lower prices.
Trickle down economics is not a thing that works. Devs will keep the extra money for themselves and not lower the prices.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
That MS news is great news for devs. A couple of years ago devs were stuck everywhere with the crappy 30/70 deal which was incredibly lucrative for the stores who see large profit with every single unit sold, while the devs need to recoup years of expenses first. Since Epic came on the scene, we now have 12% on two PC stores, and Steam and Apple have also made small cuts.

I think MS might still bring their games to Steam later, but I also expect they'll demand a much better cut of the sales, so ultimately it'll be down to Steam with how greedy they want to be.
When has this ever been true?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017

Trickle-down economics are good, actually.
no they aren't lmao

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Trickle down economics is not a thing that works. Devs will keep the extra money for themselves and not lower the prices.
We saw it on the Apple store. Lower breakeven point led to more competition and lower prices, with games going down to the $1 price point.

At the end of the day, more devs doing well means more competition and more options for consumers. That's better than a few stores doing extremely well.

Ultimately, it's a question of where you think the money should be going. To the stores seeing massive profits with zero risk and zero chance of passing it back to consumers, or to devs who'll be in a better shape to compete.

Why would anyone be against the split being more favorable to devs than stores? I don't get it. What is the upside for us there?

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Games were 1$ before then unless you're not talking consumers and 1$ price is not good for anybody but the consumer. Top it off, the pubs get the money first unless devs are self published.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
LOL @ the future possibility of lower prices.

For indie devs/publishers: Your average indie games are actually too cheap. Best case is the price stays the same, but indie development becomes less risky/more sustainable.
For AAA devs/publishers: They'd rather bloat the budget and scope of the game to justify the ever increasing price.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Microsoft isn't gonna stop releasing on Steam lol. They did this because nobody uses the store outside of gamepass so this doesn't do anything aside from give them good pr and bring more games to the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.