• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Amazon not getting along with Nintendo or Sony. Microsoft and Amazon don't have any issues, do they?

PotionBleue

Nov 1, 2017
I've been ordering more and more from la FNAC recently, they're just slightly more expensive than Amazon but often give some free pre-order goodies, and it's a French company with actual stores in France.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck this, amazon is the only way to get some games here, retailers aren't even selling everything and i don't want to go all digital.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
If true, just FUCK YOU Nintendo with your artificial and abusing pricing.
It's illegal to force a price and Nintendo behavior is disgusting.

You do realise that the entire reason amazon is able to massively undercut other retailers is because they pay an absolute tiny fraction of the amount of tax they actually owe? Amazon are the fucking scum of the earth and if our politicians actually had a fucking spine they would be outlawed until they stop being such utter weaselfuckers - we'd be better off if more manufacturers actually enforced some kind of minimum / maximum pricing these days

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
You do realise that the entire reason amazon is able to massively undercut other retailers is because they pay an absolute tiny fraction of the amount of tax they actually owe? Amazon are the fucking scum of the earth and if our politicians actually had a fucking spine they would be outlawed until they stop being such utter weaselfuckers

You do realize that MSRP stands for Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price, right? That means Amazon or any other retailer is free to charge what they want for merchandise. No one is required to sell at the price Nintendo suggests. Nintendo is definitely wrong here.

Scalpers undercut each other all the time, so why can't legit retailers do it?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They are both American companies, and I don't think Microsoft particularly cares whether the Xbox One is undervalued or not ~ any sale is a new MAU for them.
Good point.

Well as we've seen with the PS4, Amazon's refusal to sell a console may not necessarily affect sales. People will just buy elsewhere. I'm sure the same will be true with the Switch in France.

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Fuck this, amazon is the only way to get some games here, retailers aren't even selling everything and i don't want to go all digital.

Could you please develop your thought here ? Because I've never used Amazon in the last 10 years, and I never had a single problem to find a game. Fnac is fine, and French (or other retailers). But please note that I'm mainly a Nintendo gamer, so I don't have a clue about whether or not there could be this kind of problems with other platforms.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue the opposite, but we've already had a thread about it a few weeks ago

I mean, that's simply wrong. 99% of the time, the price between amazon and Fnac is the same or at least, it was close (the switch was an exception). I never found a difference in price bigger than 5€, and even then, that was rare. Most of the time, the difference is around 1€.

And, are you even French ? You are never going to find a game for the full price (unless there are stock issues, like there was for Octopath). I can find Zelda at 50-55€ (it was supposed to be 70€) and SMO at 45-50€ (it was supposed to be 60€). Even upcoming games are not full price, I can find Smash at 55€ and Pokémon LEt's Go at 50 € right now, they are both 60€ games. And that's including tax.

I am and never shop at fnac, for anything really, they are crooks. On Amazon you can regularly find games day 1 at 45€. I always buy games either on amazon.fr or other EU variant or directly from some UK online store, that consistently gets me the best prices.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
They are doing no such thing. This isn't good guy Nintendo wanting to stick up for the little guy. More likely this is just yet another example of either Nintendo wanting to fix prices (in which case they'll end up getting in hot water once again) or once again Amazon being ruthless with manufacturers and leveraging their buy-in advantage.

You don't know how big corporations work.

For years, when FNAC was established in Spain, they were selling music CDs below of the purchasing cost.

Let's say that they bought a CD to a distributor for something like €8, but then they will sell this for €5.

What was the sense of a policy like this? To force to close to all the small record stores, to be the only physical store selling CDs, which is what finally happened.

In the last days of these monopoly practices to end with the competency it was fun, because a lot of small stores were purchasing their stock in FNAC, because it was cheaper than buy the same product from the distributor, only to sell this at an high price.

And do you know why Amazon or FNAC haven't been able to monopolize the book sector in Spain and in France?

Because we have laws, in which a retailer can't sell a book with more than a 5% discount.

And because of this, in Spain and in France we still have amazing retailers specialized in selling good literature.

Seeing how well documented is this type of expansion by big corporations, to force to the small local stores to close its doors, it's disappointing to read all of these messages in a forum like ERA, in which a lot of people presume of progressive values.

Oct 26, 2017
Italy

For years, when FNAC was established in Spain, they were selling music CDs below of the purchasing cost.

Let's say that they bought a CD to a distributor for something like €8, but then they will sell this for €5.

What was the sense of a policy like this? To force to close to all the small record stores, to be the only physical store selling CDs, which is what finally happened.

In the last days of these monopoly practices to end with the competency it was fun, because a lot of small stores were purchasing their stock in FNAC, because it was cheaper than buy the same product from the distributor, only to sell this at an high price.

And do you know why Amazon or FNAC haven't been able to monopolize the book sector in Spain and in France?

Because we have laws, in which a retailer can't sell a book with more than a 5% discount.

And because of this, in Spain and in France we still have amazing retailers specialized in selling good literature.

Seeing how well documented is this type of expansion by big corporations, to force to the small local stores to close its doors, it's disappointing to read all of these messages in a forum like ERA, in which a lot of people presume of progressive values.
What?? You say we don't know how corporations work and then assume what Nintendo's doing... Nintendo is NOT doing the good guy. Why all of a sudden would they start caring about little stores in France? I don't know how you would come up to this conclusion. Also the last phrase doesn't make any sense in this context.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Could you please develop your thought here ? Because I've never used Amazon in the last 10 years, and I never had a single problem to find a game. Fnac is fine, and French (or other retailers). But please note that I'm mainly a Nintendo gamer, so I don't have a clue about whether or not there could be this kind of problems with other platforms.
I'm not a huge fan of other online retailers in France since none provide the same quality of service as amazon (even though amazon is getting worse each year imo here) and I live in a region where there's not much culture, so amazon is my best bet when I want a book or non-mainstream blurays and games.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If true, just FUCK YOU Nintendo with your artificial and abusing pricing.
It's illegal to force a price and Nintendo behavior is disgusting.

Predatory pricing is also illegal in the EU for market leaders like Amazon. At any rate, nintendo isn't forced to sell to anyone and since we don't know any of the details, there's no reason to assume Amazon are in the right here. It could be as simple as Amazon demanding Nintendo eat the price difference and Nintendo not being down for that.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
It's impressive how both companies are breaking the law here, but only one of them is bad for doing it for some people on Era. Hopefully both get fined for this BS.

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I am and never shop at fnac, for anything really, they are crooks. On Amazon you can regularly find games day 1 at 45€. I always buy games either on amazon.fr or other EU variant or directly from some UK online store, that consistently gets me the best prices.
I mean, I don't diasgree there, but... Your solution is to turn to Amazon, really ? They are no angels either. The best solution would be to support small local retailers. But I guess it's okay to support Amazon because their products are 5€ cheaper no matter how "evilish" their policies are.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
What?? You say we don't know how corporations work and then assume what Nintendo's doing... Nintendo is NOT doing the good guy. Why all of a sudden would they start caring about little stores in France? I don't know how you would come up to this conclusion. Also the last phrase doesn't make any sense in this context.

Nintendo is protecting to the rest of local stores. Simply, if Amazon is selling a product at the same production cost without taking a single cent of benefit, to push services like Amazon Prime, at the end why will want a small local store to buy Switch stock? If they sell this at the same price of Amazon, they will not see a single cent of benefice.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Its good that Nintendo is going against the data driven Amazon. Amazon is seen as a good thing because of the lower prices but it puts a lot of pressure on the product sellers. They basically just drive down prices based on data. Not good for businesses at all.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Because there are laws against doing it in the EU because the entire goal for Amazon is to temporarily sell certain items below cost to drive other businesses completely out of the marketplace. If you don't believe Amazon would do that, I have a bridge to sell you.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I don't diasgree there, but... Your solution is to turn to Amazon, really ? They are no angels either. The best solution would be to support small local retailers. But I guess it's okay to support Amazon because their products are 5€ cheaper no matter how "evilish" their policies are.

I mean, I wouldn't wish to my worst enemy to work at amazon (or mcdonalds, starbucks etc), but at the end of the day they're cheaper and if the alternative is to buy overpriced at micromania, auchan etc for example, I'll take my business elsewhere.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

I don't know how big corporations work? Amazon work exactly as I outlined - they have far greater buying power and muscle when it comes to negotiating with manufacturers and bully them as far as they can get away with - they've had similar spats with all three console manufacturers in the past.

How exactly does your example of a company buying CDs and selling them for less than they bought them for have any relevance here? Amazon were undercutting other retailers by a mere 30 euros, they were not loss leading and selling for less than their buy-in. I think of the two of us, I'm not the one who has the wrong end of the stick as to what's actually going on here.

Nintendo are not allowed to set an MSRP, yet they effectively do. Best guess is Amazon put that in jeopardy and Nintendo likely spat the dummy. They've been done for it in the past and it looks like they've been at it again. or, as I said, it's jut Amazon bullying manufacturers again as they are well known for.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
This sounds like what happened with Sony and Amazon. I'm not going to support Amazon undercutting everyone to takeover the market space.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I don't know how big corporations work? Amazon work exactly as I outlined - they have far greater buying power and muscle when it comes to negotiating with manufacturers and bully them as far as they can get away with - they've had similar spats with all three console manufacturers in the past.

I see the muscle of negotiating that they have, when this situation is happening.

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
I keep seeing the term "price fixing" getting thrown around. Pretty sure this doesn't qualify as price fixing, which is illegal. I am in the U.S. so I am speaking of my country.

This seems to be a case of a manufacturer imposed minimum price which is not a violation of U.S. law, not sure about France.

From the FTC website:
"If a manufacturer, on its own, adopts a policy regarding a desired level of prices, the law allows the manufacturer to deal only with retailers who agree to that policy. A manufacturer also may stop dealing with a retailer that does not follow its resale price policy. That is, a manufacturer can implement a dealer policy on a "take it or leave it" basis."

"The critical distinction is between a unilateral decision to impose a restraint (lawful) and a collective agreement among competitors to do the same (unlawful)."

This seems to state that manufacturers can set minimum and maximum prices as long as they are enforced across the board.

The full text of the FTC rule can be found here.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I see the muscle of negotiating that they have, when this situation is happening.

If you think Amazon are in any way sat crying owrrying about what they're going to do as they can't sell Nintendo stuff in this territory, lol, you're very much mistaken. They're fucking brutal and it's Nintendo or Sony or whoever is missing from their marketplace that is the one that should be concerned.

I keep seeing the term "price fixing" getting thrown around. Pretty sure this doesn't qualify as price fixing, which is illegal. I am in the U.S. so I am speaking of my country.

This seems to be a case of a manufacturer imposed minimum price which is not a violation of U.S. law, not sure about France.

<US stuff snip>

They've been fined millions in the past for colluding with retailers by artificially setting high prices with retailers for years.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
If you think Amazon are in any way sat crying owrrying about what they're going to do as they can't sell Nintendo stuff in this territory, lol, you're very much mistaken. They're fucking brutal and it's Nintendo or Sony or whoever is missing from their marketplace that is the one that should be concerned.

Good luck in the future that you are trying to create, with these type of economies sustained in the monopolies, and without protecting laws coming from the governments.

In Europe we still have a free and universal health care system, contrary to the US. Let's see for how many time, with things like the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017

From the FTC website:
"If a manufacturer, on its own, adopts a policy regarding a desired level of prices, the law allows the manufacturer to deal only with retailers who agree to that policy. A manufacturer also may stop dealing with a retailer that does not follow its resale price policy. That is, a manufacturer can implement a dealer policy on a "take it or leave it" basis."

"The critical distinction is between a unilateral decision to impose a restraint (lawful) and a collective agreement among competitors to do the same (unlawful)."

This seems to state that manufacturers can set minimum and maximum prices as long as they are enforced across the board.

The full text of the FTC rule can be found here.

Then why is it called a "suggested" retail price rather than a "required" retail price?

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
Then why is it called a "suggested" retail price rather than a "required" retail price?

Elaborating on my previous post, this is an example Q & A from the same FTC webpage.

"Q: One of my suppliers marks its products with a Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). Do I have to charge this price?

A: The key word is "suggested." A dealer is free to set the retail price of the products it sells. A dealer can set the price at the MSRP or at a different price, as long as the dealer comes to that decision on its own. However, the manufacturer can decide not to use distributors that do not adhere to its MSRP."

So basically a retailer is free to sale the product at whatever price they want to and the manufacturer is free not to supply them said product if they do so.

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom

They've been fined millions in the past for colluding with retailers by artificially setting high prices with retailers for years.
The law changed in 2007 apparently.

Sorry for the double post.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Good luck in the future that you are trying to create, with these type of economies sustained in the monopolies, and without protecting laws coming from the governments.

In Europe we still have a free and universal health care system, contrary to the US. Let's see for how many time, with things like the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership.

The fuck are you talking about? I'm trying to create a future? I'm just telling you how it is, as a (currently) EU citizen living and buying my games in Europe. You're the one who seems to think they're living in a bubble somewhere, oblivious to the reality around them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Elaborating on my previous post, this is an example Q & A from the same FTC webpage.

"Q: One of my suppliers marks its products with a Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). Do I have to charge this price?

A: The key word is "suggested." A dealer is free to set the retail price of the products it sells. A dealer can set the price at the MSRP or at a different price, as long as the dealer comes to that decision on its own. However, the manufacturer can decide not to use distributors that do not adhere to its MSRP."

So basically a retailer is free to sale the product at whatever price they want to and the manufacturer is free not to supply them said product if they do so.

And that's basically the opposite of what you said in your previous post.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
How big is Amazon in Europe?

Does everyone there have a prime and Netflix account like in America?

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017

The first step would be to put and end to this "tax optimization" BS that's going on in Europe, than smaller companies would compete on a more equal footing. EU politicians unwillingness to change that is the first reason amazon and co are quickly becoming monopolies as they crush their competition.

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
And that's basically the opposite of what you said in your previous post.
Is it? Considering most of that post was a quote of the rules from the FTC, I don't think that is the case.

I said "This seems to be a case of a manufacturer imposed minimum price which is not a violation of U.S. law, not sure about France."
"This seems to state that manufacturers can set minimum and maximum prices as long as they are enforced across the board."

I don't think this contradicts what I said in the second post.
"So basically a retailer is free to sale the product at whatever price they want to and the manufacturer is free not to supply them said product if they do so."

Either way, there is nothing illegal or shady about this practice according to the FTC.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
The first step would be to put and end to this "tax optimization" BS that's going on in Europe, than smaller companies would compete on a more equal footing. EU politicians unwillingness to change that is the first reason amazon and co are quickly becoming monopolies as they crush their competition.

Yeah, but at this time, I have completely lost my faith in Europe, seeing how the alt-right politics are quickly ascending in most of the European countries. To see a complete century fighting for our rights with the blood of our grandparents, destroyed in a single decade.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Is it? Considering most of that post was a quote of the rules from the FTC, I don't think that is the case.

I said "This seems to be a case of a manufacturer imposed minimum price which is not a violation of U.S. law, not sure about France."
"This seems to state that manufacturers can set minimum and maximum prices as long as they are enforced across the board."

I don't think this contradicts what I said in the second post.
"So basically a retailer is free to sale the product at whatever price they want to and the manufacturer is free not to supply them said product if they do so."

Either way, there is nothing illegal or shady about this practice according to the FTC.

It does kinda, in your first post. If Nintendo adopted that policy in your first post, they couldn't have an MSRP attached to their products, because they wouldn't be suggesting a retail price for their products, and instead would be requiring a minimum price.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
I mean, I wouldn't wish to my worst enemy to work at amazon (or mcdonalds, starbucks etc), but at the end of the day they're cheaper and if the alternative is to buy overpriced at micromania, auchan etc for example, I'll take my business elsewhere.
Fnac is not cheaper but has a real fidelity program to save you money on your next purchase (often 10€ per preorder).

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If true its crazy town at Nintendo HQ. Stop telling companies for how much they are allowed to sell the consoles.

I hope this isnt true

Jaysc

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't you read this as:

Nintendo sets the recommended price which other retailers follow, but Amazon decides to sell it much cheaper than usual to undercut competitors. They are able to do this somehow, maybe gain the cost back in other areas.

This means that consumers would just buy it from Amazon instead of the other competitors which can't compete on the price.

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
It does kinda, in your first post. If Nintendo adopted that policy in your first post, they couldn't have an MSRP attached to their products, because they wouldn't be suggesting a retail price for their products, and instead would be requiring a minimum price.
Still not seeing it. Basically if I manufacture widgets and I want retailer to sell my widgets at a certain price and I set an MSRP of $19.99. By law I cannot tell them not to sell my widgets for $17.99 but I am completely within my rights to not provide them with stock if they do so. I can refuse to provide them with stock for selling above or below the MSRP I set. Effectively this allows me to set a minimum and maximum price if I choose.

Couldn't you read this as:

Nintendo sets the recommended price which other retailers follow, but Amazon decides to sell it much cheaper than usual to undercut competitors. They are able to do this somehow, maybe gain the cost back in other areas.

This means that consumers would just buy it from Amazon instead of the other competitors which can't compete on the price.
But the key is Nintendo is allowed to not provide Amazon with stock for not adhering to the MSRP. Once again I am speaking in regards to U.S. law.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Let me laugh.
I you are looking for scum, search for "politicians" creating rules for "best friends".
Then, If you seek egality in the world, just stop buying anything and stop exploiting third world.
You do realize that ?

Did you miss the part where I said "spineless politicians"? Doesn't mean amazon aren't culpable - plenty of retailers play by the rules and aren't completely morally bankrupt. Amazon are fucking vile and a law unto themselves driving actually legitimate, honest tax paying business into the ground. Fuck them, shop literally anywhere other than amazon and do the world a favour

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
How big is Amazon in Europe?

Does everyone there have a prime and Netflix account like in America?

Amazon had a pretty aggressive expansion policy in Spain in the last 5 years, you can see TV ads in every channel, and now it's a normalized thing, most of the people that I know use Amazon.

And in small cities, for a lot of products, you're still "forced" to use Amazon. I remember to be searching for a very specific electronic component some weeks ago, and after searching in every small retailer in my city, I ended buying this in Amazon. But most of the people will not even care in first trying to find the same product in a local store.

Indeed, they have had serious conflicts with the workers because of the shitty working conditions that they're offering. The last worker's strike coincided with the Amazon Prime Days week.

So they're not even good in creating a healthy local economy, in which people can achieve some type of dignity through their works.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
You do realize that MSRP stands for Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price, right? That means Amazon or any other retailer is free to charge what they want for merchandise. No one is required to sell at the price Nintendo suggests. Nintendo is definitely wrong here.

Of course I know how it works, I'm saying the situation WOULD actually be better IF minimum / maximum pricing was set by manufacturers given that amazon are undercutting these other retailers to A) drive them out of business - and are only able to do it because B) they pay a fucking microscopic amount of tax and C) are now so big no fucking politician will stand upto them to enforce any law unto them allowing them to further shirk their tax paying responsibilities - amazon are fucking utter scum along with all the spineless politicians who continue to do nothing but pander to them

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
If true its crazy town at Nintendo HQ. Stop telling companies for how much they are allowed to sell the consoles.

I hope this isnt true

Why though? It does not change anything for us customers. The only people at risk are Nintendo/Amazon (Whether or not one of them is/was doing something illegal). Amazon didn't have a monopoly in France, Fnac is still here, (overpriced) Micromania is still here, other third parties retailers are still here.