Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
There's no point in comparing US and European laws IMHO.

Having said that, it's difficult to comment without knowing whether there's a local french regulation about this or not (IIRC there is one here in Italy about selling goods below cost, and one specific about online book resellers too)

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
How big is Amazon in Europe?

Does everyone there have a prime and Netflix account like in America?

For France:

I just searched, it seems in 2017, there was around 25M unique Amazon custommers per month. Out of a population of 67M (with around 13M people under 15, so really a market size closer to 54M). Fnac, its main competitor had 12.5M unique customers in the same time frame. So Amazon is only twice as big as Fnac, and covers less than half of the population.

And I'm not talking about paid account here, for neither of them.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
No, there is no MSRP in France (or anywhere else in Europe for that matter). Other retailers are free to set whatever price they want, in fact, OP listed on below the "normal" price. But most don't drop (or not too low), because margins are extremely low for consoles and they can't really afford it. Amazon just don't care because of several reasons (tax "optimisation", repeat customers who just end up buying stuff on Amazon regularly, etc.). In fact, Amazon most certainly sold the Switch at a loss, which is also illegal as it causes unfair competition. Amazon's the dodgy one here, but that's not really new.

Peripherals... maybe. But certainly not games, ha ha. Another thing they clearly sell at a loss.

Loss leaders are illegal? Or is this only for the manufacturers, not companies trying to get ppl in the store? I'm thinking printers and ink business model here.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why though? It does not change anything for us customers. The only people at risk are Nintendo/Amazon (Whether or not one of them is/was doing something illegal). Amazon didn't have a monopoly in France, Fnac is still here, (overpriced) Micromania is still here, other third parties retailers are still here.

Why should anyone care for how much you sell a console? If Amazon is giving it away for 10€ who cares? As long as Nintendo gets what it deserves it should not matter what Amazon is doing.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
This is honestly a complex issue.

Amazon is offering better prices but they could easily be a monopoly because of their ability to take a loss on the product.

I'm not sure there is a right answer.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Why should anyone care for how much you sell a console? If Amazon is giving it away for 10€ who cares? As long as Nintendo gets what it deserves it should not matter what Amazon is doing.

Nintendo cares, because it undercuts their relationship with their other retail partners. It could lead those other partners to no longer sell Nintendo products, or to demand a cheaper price to compete with Amazon (in which case Nintendo would make less from each console).

All that is happening here is Nintendo is refusing to sell to Amazon directly because they [AMZ] are assumingly breaking pre-existing pricing agreements they had together. Amazon is still free to purchase Switches from other sources and resell them (assuming this is legal under French law), but their margins would be non-existent at that point. That sounds like what they are doing with Switch software, and I'm sure they're making much lower margins as a result.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
This is the same NOE who wouldn't give Euro prices at hardware announcements because those were up to retailers? I can understand and somewhat appreciate that they want to protect the health of the whole retail ecosystem, but it's still a bit hypocritical.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
It's impressive how both companies are breaking the law here, but only one of them is bad for doing it for some people on Era. Hopefully both get fined for this BS.

It's almost as if there's not enough information to decide who is breaking any laws or how this came to be.

Amazon are the king of shit practicing. They've singlehandedly destroyed countless companies because of their aggressive pricing, not to mention their tax evasions.

but yeah nintendo are just as bad ok

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo cares, because it undercuts their relationship with their other retail partners. It could lead those other partners to no longer sell Nintendo products, or to demand a cheaper price to compete with Amazon (in which case Nintendo would make less from each console).

All that is happening here is Nintendo is refusing to sell to Amazon directly because they [AMZ] are assumingly breaking pre-existing pricing agreements they had together. Amazon is still free to purchase Switches from other sources and resell them (assuming this is legal under French law), but their margins would be non-existent at that point. That sounds like what they are doing with Switch software, and I'm sure they're making much lower margins as a result.

Nintendo has already been paid for any products Amazon sells. I don't know about EU, but here in the US, I haven't seen any small retail game shops in years and years. It's only just Gamestop and the bigger stores like Best Buy and Walmart. And it wasn't Amazon that made those smaller retailers go away, it was Gamestop buying up all the other franchises like Babbage's and EB. This is only going to hurt Nintendo by costing them sales because the #1 retailer isn't selling their products. That's a lot of lost sales right there.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost as if there's not enough information to decide who is breaking any laws or how this came to be.

Amazon are the king of shit practicing. They've singlehandedly destroyed countless companies because of their aggressive pricing, not to mention their tax evasions.

but yeah nintendo are just as bad ok
People are posting based on the information in the op because breaking the low is ok if you're protecting other retailers. And I said both companies are wrong here. Never said Amazon is good so I don't need you to lecture me about how bad they're.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
People are posting that Nintendo is fine based on the information in the op because breaking the low is ok if you're protecting other retailers. And I said both companies are wrong here.

Both companies are obviously being dodgy, I agree, but my point was that it shouldn't be a surprise to see most of the vitriol go towards Amazon. It's not a fanboy thing, it's a should-be natural reaction to anything to do with amazon because they're a pile of crap.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Both companies are obviously being dodgy, I agree, but my point was that it shouldn't be a surprise to see most of the vitriol go towards Amazon. It's not a fanboy thing, it's a should-be natural reaction to anything to do with amazon because they're a pile of crap.
Some here are not acting like both companies are wrong except one is worse. Some here are acting like Nintendo is doing the right thing which is what I'm talking about.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No difference from small shops and mall
With malls, there's choices. At this rate in a few decades, there is going to be only a choice. Singular. And that's literally what Amazon is aiming for. They can take a hit for hundreds of millions to billions and bury their competition until it doesn't matter. And I don't remember malls have daily crawls to pricing that they can match every. single. day. of. the. year.

pinkurocket

Oct 26, 2017
Well shit, I'm not in France but Amazon.fr ships for free to my country and they always had the best prices by far. So much so that I'm fine with some french boxes for non-limited editions.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Amzon.fr always were ridiculous cheap compared to all other EU store when it came to Nintendo games/consoles.
Tough to compete for other retailers.

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has already been paid for any products Amazon sells. I don't know about EU, but here in the US, I haven't seen any small retail game shops in years and years. It's only just Gamestop and the bigger stores like Best Buy and Walmart. And it wasn't Amazon that made those smaller retailers go away, it was Gamestop buying up all the other franchises like Babbage's and EB. This is only going to hurt Nintendo by costing them sales because the #1 retailer isn't selling their products. That's a lot of lost sales right there.

True, Nintendo can't control what Amazon sells products for ONCE they're purchased. However Nintendo can certainly refuse to sell to Amazon after if there is a breach of an agreed upon price level. Which sounds like what is happening here. It would also not be the first time Amazon has bullied distributors and manufacturers using their market dominant position to gain a more favorable business arrangement.

Nintendo isn't REQUIRED to sell to Amazon, nor is Amazon required to buy directly from Nintendo. But I'm sure Amazon can't get a good price for the Switch outside of getting it direct from Nintendo, so they simply won't sell it. That's Nintendo's loss for missing a large market, and Amazon's loss for not servicing fans of Nintendo's products.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
For France:

I just searched, it seems in 2017, there was around 25M unique Amazon custommers per month. Out of a population of 67M (with around 13M people under 15, so really a market size closer to 54M). Fnac, its main competitor had 12.5M unique customers in the same time frame. So Amazon is only twice as big as Fnac, and covers less than half of the population.

And I'm not talking about paid account here, for neither of them.
I wish Amazon had some competition in the US.

Good to hear they don't completely dominate the rest of the world the way they do in the United States.

I say this as a guy who has had an Amazon account almost since the site started to buy books.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I would care. So should anyone paying attention. The major reason to go with loss leading on product is to drive competitors out of business so you can charge more later, when you have more of a monopoly.

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I wish Amazon had some competition in the US.

Good to hear they don't completely dominate the rest of the world the way they do in the United States.

I say this as a guy who has had an Amazon account almost since the site started to buy books.

No matter what we are talking about, Monopoly is a bad thing, for everyone. I believe the main reason the video game market is thriving right now is because Sony Microsoft and Nintendo are all doing well. (Just think of the early years of the gen : dead wiiU and Vita, a 3DS sold at loss, and PS4/One having far too few games, compared to what happened in 2016 and onwards)

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
No matter what we are talking about, Monopoly is a bad thing, for everyone. I believe the main reason the video game market is thriving right now is because Sony Microsoft and Nintendo are all doing well. (Just think of the early years of the gen : dead wiiU and Vita, a 3DS sold at loss, and PS4/One having far too few games, compared to what happened in 2016 and onwards)
100% agree.

Without competition the company is only going to focus entirely on profits. You need competition to spur innovation.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I love how people are defending Nintendo for breaking the fucking law by price fixing.

What the fuck guys?

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Shitty and probably antitrust related behavior by nintendo. A retailer is free to sell at whatever price they want

But isn't any company also free to not sell a specific product to a retailer? As long as they fulfilled existing orders and never confirmed any new ones I don't see what amazon can do if Nintendo doesn't want to supply more to them.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Why would Nintendo care what retailers price their products at if Nintendo has already been paid the wholesale price?

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
Why would Nintendo care what retailers price their products at if Nintendo has already been paid the wholesale price?
Why would Nintendo bother going through a wholesale distributor and give up a portion of their cut if they're big enough to do the deals with all the major retailers themselves? This is assuming that's how Nintendo is doing it in France/Europe, but it would seem odd for Nintendo to not have direct relationships given Nintendo's size.

Wholesalers perform a vital distribution function for smaller manufacturers, but unless they're required by law in France, it's in Nintendo's best interest to control that supply chain and make those deals directly. Then they can control the price of their own products by cutting off supply for retailers that don't want to play ball. The same way Apple does it, or a host of other high-profile manufacturers.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Why would Nintendo bother going through a wholesale distributor and give up a portion of their cut if they're big enough to do the deals with all the major retailers themselves? This is assuming that's how Nintendo is doing it in France/Europe, but it would seem odd for Nintendo to not have direct relationships given Nintendo's size.

Wholesalers perform a vital distribution function for smaller manufacturers, but unless they're required by law in France, it's in Nintendo's best interest to control that supply chain and make those deals directly. Then they can control the price of their own products by cutting off supply for retailers that don't want to play ball. The same way Apple does it, or a host of other high-profile manufacturers.
You make a good point. So my next question is if I purchase product directly from Nintendo and Apple, and then turn around a sell it for a big loss, why would that care to them if they've already been paid?

7Z7

May 30, 2018
That's stupid of Nintendo. If Amazon makes a loss, it's not their problem. I was planning to buy a Switch in 2019, I don't know where to buy it at the right price. I may end up turning to the second-hand market.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
True, Nintendo can't control what Amazon sells products for ONCE they're purchased. However Nintendo can certainly refuse to sell to Amazon after if there is a breach of an agreed upon price level. Which sounds like what is happening here. It would also not be the first time Amazon has bullied distributors and manufacturers using their market dominant position to gain a more favorable business arrangement.

Nintendo isn't REQUIRED to sell to Amazon, nor is Amazon required to buy directly from Nintendo. But I'm sure Amazon can't get a good price for the Switch outside of getting it direct from Nintendo, so they simply won't sell it. That's Nintendo's loss for missing a large market, and Amazon's loss for not servicing fans of Nintendo's products.

Gee, now where I have I heard of a company doing the bolded part before? I'm sure that wonderful company Nintendo has never engaged in such shady practices.

Amazon sells so much and has so many other business that they don't need to sell Nintendo products. Basically, Nintendo needs Amazon more than Amazon needs Nintendo.

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? They sold it to me, the retailer. I've paid them what they charged me for it. So they're whole. If I turn around and give it away how does that effect them if they've already made their money?
If I'm Retailer B, and Retailer A is over there selling the same product below cost because they want to put me out of business, I'm going to complain to Nintendo to give me a better deal. Or I might tell Nintendo to maybe not send over that next batch of Nintendo consoles, as that space might end up with a few more Sony shelves or other products.

It doesn't help Nintendo to piss off any of their large retail partners, and the best way to do that is to make sure the playing field is relatively level. If they appear to be showing favoritism, or turning a blind eye to one of their partners undercutting the others, it makes it hard for them to do deals in the future.

Gee, now where I have I heard of a company doing the bolded part before? I'm sure that wonderful company Nintendo has never engaged in such shady practices.

Amazon sells so much and has so many other business that they don't need to sell Nintendo products. Basically, Nintendo needs Amazon more than Amazon needs Nintendo.
Nintendo is a manufacturer, not a market. They're allowed to make business deals that benefit their business, as long as they're not abusing a dominant market position to suppress competitors. In this case, Nintendo's competitors are Sony, Microsoft, and other game/hardware makers. Nintendo does NOT have a monopoly in this market. You may personally not care about the other players in this market, but that does not mean they aren't competitive.

But you're not wrong, Amazon doesn't need any particular company more than companies need Amazon, which is why they are often a pretty scary company.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is a manufacturer, not a market. They're allowed to make business deals that benefit their business, as long as they're not abusing a dominant market position to suppress competitors. In this case, Nintendo's competitors are Sony, Microsoft, and other game/hardware makers. Nintendo does NOT have a monopoly in this market. You may personally not care about the other players in this market, but that does not mean they aren't competitive.

But you're not wrong, Amazon doesn't need any particular company more than companies need Amazon, which is why they are often a pretty scary company.

That's exactly what they did back when Yamauchi was in charge. And now it seems kharma is still coming back to bite them in the ass, lol.

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
That's exactly what they did back when Yamauchi was in charge. And now it seems kharma is still coming back to bite them in the ass, lol.
Yeah, they were definitely engaging in some suppression back when Nintendo was king. Video games were too nascent as an industry at that time for them to really get called on it. Couldn't really get away with it in today's market though, too much money in it to not get scrutinized.

I dunno about karma, but it definitely seems like these fights with Amazon are becoming more of a regular thing. I think these manufacturers are starting to realize if they cede too much power to Amazon, they may not be able to get it back. We basically saw the same with with Sony calling Amazon's bluff on the 20% discount earlier this year. Amazon ultimately blinked on that one, but I doubt they'll stop trying. We'll see who blinks first on this France thing.

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
I love how people are defending Nintendo for breaking the fucking law by price fixing.

What the fuck guys?
Can't say it better.
It's atonishing how people can be brain washed.
"Amazon is evil"
"Nintendo is nice"
Life is not black or white, it's full of gray.
And right now Nintendo is abusing its position.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
How big is Amazon in Europe?

Does everyone there have a prime and Netflix account like in America?
In France Amazon itself is quite big.
But almost nobody knows what prime is.
Also Netflix is growing but not very big as for now.
In all my family ans friends i knows only 2 persons that have a Netflix account (and i d ont have one)

In France the peuple that loves streaming généraly goes with ilegal ways. Other ones just watch tv with their internet box

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
Fuck Nintendo for pulling this shit.Their games and consoles are extremly overpriced anyway.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
Amazon Canada is bitch and a half.

you can barely pre order some games now, at best they usually sell em at launch

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has to have positive relations with all retailers. Amazon is undertaking actions meant to enhance its businesses while damaging others. Companies are going to complain to Nintendo. Amazon is devaluing the Switch when hey are undercutting retailers by such huge margins. 30-60 Euros is a huge undercutting. Obviously as a Consumer you really do not give a shit but you have to consider it from the Corporate viewpoint which is what Nintendo and its partners care about.

PlayStation got froggy with Amazon when it came to the big discounts on their games with preorder discounting. Its not something that is limited to Nintendo

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon frequently picks fights with suppliers that result in stock issues. I wouldn't be surprised if they're demanding lower wholesale prices or something like that.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
You don't know how big corporations work.

For years, when FNAC was established in Spain, they were selling music CDs below of the purchasing cost.

Let's say that they bought a CD to a distributor for something like €8, but then they will sell this for €5.

What was the sense of a policy like this? To force to close to all the small record stores, to be the only physical store selling CDs, which is what finally happened.

In the last days of these monopoly practices to end with the competency it was fun, because a lot of small stores were purchasing their stock in FNAC, because it was cheaper than buy the same product from the distributor, only to sell this at an high price.

And do you know why Amazon or FNAC haven't been able to monopolize the book sector in Spain and in France?

Because we have laws, in which a retailer can't sell a book with more than a 5% discount.

And because of this, in Spain and in France we still have amazing retailers specialized in selling good literature.

Seeing how well documented is this type of expansion by big corporations, to force to the small local stores to close its doors, it's disappointing to read all of these messages in a forum like ERA, in which a lot of people presume of progressive values.

To many here, anything that is not instant gratification cannot be called pro-consumer. Seeing the big picture is just not possible. If a business goes belly up because they don't chose to go in a price war with companies such as Amazon or Walmart, that's their own undoing, because to the 'rational' consumer, the best price is the only thing of value.

If France and Spain have rules forbidding big retailers from undercutting small mom and pop shops when it comes to CDs and books, it's probably only a matter of time before it gets extended to software.

I'm not sure if Nintendo feels it has an obligation to keep giant retailers from destroying their smaller retail partners, or if that is even the reason it has made such a move, but if it is, good on them.