• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 17, 2018
From the HFW update:

I also want to confirm today that moving forward, PlayStation first-party exclusive cross-gen titles (newly releasing on PS4 & PS5)–both digital and physical*–will offer a $10 USD digital upgrade option from PS4 to PS5. This will apply to the next God of War and Gran Turismo 7, and any other exclusive cross-gen PS4 & PS5 title published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

I'd like to believe that Sony are just covering their ass with clear-as-crystal language about what to expect for GoW and GT7 upgrades, but, gotta say this line makes me wonder if we're looking at not getting out of cross-gen until 2023.

Am I reading too far into it, or should we expect other studios to still be doing cross-gen stuff?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah they just confirmed it with that quote, OP. TLoU Remake and Factions MP are probably among those.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yes, y'all were all duped by marketing. Profits matter more then Era/Twitter thoughts. Same reason they're bringing their games to pc, same reason they're charging more for games, same reason every time for every company for every thing ever.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's bad for enthusiasts, but Sony will probably want to make a few more dollars. It's holding back titles and it makes the price difference of $70 even more unjustifiable.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's bad for enthusiasts, but Sony will probably want to make a few more dollars. It's holding back titles and it makes the price difference of $70 even more unjustifiable.

As an enthusiast, I'm happy anytime a game is cross-platform. The differences in games available exclusive on PS5 versus PS5/PC or PS5/PC/PS4 are so miniscule.

What makes games good and worth playing are generally outside of the realm of tech, which is why old games continue to be fun, or indie games, or low budget titles.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
The PS4 has a 120 million userbase it's impractical to focus exclusively on PS5 when that userbase is unlikely going to decline anytime soon. So Sony is forced to develop their games as cross-gen until the PS5 is big enough.

Microsoft can get around this issue as they have Xbox Cloud Gaming support coming to XB1, so MS can release exclusive XB X|S games but without abandoning the XB1 user base.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Probably. It's bullshit, but probably. I didn't spend $1200 to play shit that can still be played on PS4 and Xbox One. I'm sick of this.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I hope so, Spider-Man 2 can be PS4's swan song. I'm quite happy that God of War 6 is cross-gen, since it's a game from my favorite Sony's IP.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
It makes financial sense to do so. The amount of PS4/Pro's in peoples homes is massive...that is just too big of userbase to cut off. I expect many more Sony 1st party games to be cross gen. That userbase is massive and it is not stopping...people are still buy PS4/Pro's today and that userbase is still growing very strong....Sony is not going to just turn that off and ignore that base.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
As long as the money they make from PS4 versions is greater than the money it costs to make a PS4 version.

OP
OP
DailyCalmSpirit
May 17, 2018
What the fuck.

So, just so I'm clear, possibly until 2023, we'll have more second-party PS5 exclusives than first? Am I missing anything here?

1P: Astro, R&C
2P: Returnal, Demon's Souls, Deathloop, Kena, Ghostwire Tokyo, Destruction All-Stars, FFXVI, Forspoken

What makes games good and worth playing are generally outside of the realm of tech, which is why old games continue to be fun, or indie games, or low budget titles.

OK, but, that doesn't make me feel any less like I wasted money on unused tech. Had a perfectly good PS4 Pro just sitting there.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Factions seems like a lock to me, The Last of Us Remake quite likely as well just like whatever PixelOpus is working on. And Spider-Man 2 wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. MLB will definitely stay cross-gen for multiple years.

Last edited:

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
OK, but, that doesn't make me feel any less like I wasted money on unused tech. Had a perfectly good PS4 Pro just sitting there.

You're not going to get the framerates or resolution or the load times or all kinds of other things you'd get on PS5 on PS4 Pro, though. I can understand if you just want exclusives but you're very much getting an improved experience on crossgen titles.

This is going to be a long gen, COVID-19, the chip shortage, all kinds of things have just made the beginning kind of weird. It's hard for most people to even get their hands on the PS5, so it's not like it's a situation where you have PS4s on the shelf and you need justification for people to go and buy one. People can't buy the PS5 and can't upgrade.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
The cost of games just keep going up and up. Being able to sell a game to the PS4, PS5 (and eventually the PC) user base makes more sense than just selling it on PS5 at this point.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
What the fuck.

So, just so I'm clear, possibly until 2023, we'll have more second-party PS5 exclusives than first? Am I missing anything here?

1P: Astro, R&C
2P: Returnal, Demon's Souls, Deathloop, Kena, Ghostwire Tokyo, Destruction All-Stars, FFXVI, Forspoken
Demon Soul's, returnal and Destruction all stars are all 1st party titles. Sony owns all three games, they own Housemaque, and codeveloped both DS and All Stars

Kena is cross gen.

Wouldn't be surprised if FF16 is also cross gen.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, absolutely. Until there's a substantial number of units in homes and the demand can be satisfied, I fully expect cross plat to continue. Frustrating as a PS5 owner but I also get it - you don't want to alienate those 100+ million users.

You'll still see some exclusives along the way though. It's a balance of satisfying the existing base while also keeping the demand hot with new titles you can only get on the premium console.

OP
OP
DailyCalmSpirit
May 17, 2018
For everyone saying you can't ignore the PS4 fanbase, then, like, why make *any* PS5 exclusives then? Why bother with a new console at all?

I admit the pandemic makes things tougher, but we were *well* into it when they decided to launch in November. If they weren't ready/able to seriously support it, they should have delayed it.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
For everyone saying you can't ignore the PS4 fanbase, then, like, why make *any* PS5 exclusives then? Why bother with a new console at all?

I admit the pandemic makes things tougher, but we were *well* into it when they decided to launch in November. If they weren't ready to seriously support it, they should have delayed it.
Lol. You can't be serious.

you guys get outraged and worked up about the dumbest shit. It's just a vague statement to cover their ass and if they do coninue cross gen just play the better version on ps5.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
As an enthusiast, I'm happy anytime a game is cross-platform. The differences in games available exclusive on PS5 versus PS5/PC or PS5/PC/PS4 are so miniscule.

I agree, but I expect Sony First Party franchises like God of War to push the envelope in terms of presentation and tech. Same with Last of Us and Uncharted. A game like Ghost of Tsushima is amazing and wouldn't be as good if it was developed with the PS3 in mind.

CowboyAloy

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
United States
This reads like PS5 owners upset they can't showoff to PS4 owners that they have shiny new games they can't play yet due to console availability. I for one am happy games are still coming out on the console that I own. It would be even worse to immediately stop making PS4 games once the shiny new box comes out since uhh, most folks can't even find one yet.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I admit the pandemic makes things tougher, but we were *well* into it when they decided to launch in November. If they weren't ready/able to seriously support it, they should have delayed it.
This. It is just UK physical numbers, but Hades was already 70% PS5 and 23% PS4.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully not. It's bad enough Forbidden West, the next GoW, and GT7 are all still going to be shackled to nine-year-old hardware.

Think about it, we won't see what studios like Guerilla and Sony Santa Monica will be able to do without a boat anchor tied to their ankles until, what, 2026 or 2027 at least? Fuck.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I'm sure there are some unannounced 2022 games like the rumored Factions game. But no not really. I assume GT and GOW will be the last big ones.

systems will be hard to find until mid 2022 maybe 2023, so in 2023 is when they will need system sellers if supply finally catches up to demand.

I mean we know they have more PS5 only games coming in 2022 because that's when PSVR2 ships, probably holiday.

Sony has shipped more next gen only games than Xbox will have by 2023 and about the same next gen/last gen support as the Switch/3DS transition period. I think they will have a few more cross gen titles and a few more next gen games too

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How dare they still create games to a playerbase that is ridiculously large and just as keen to play first party titles. The notion that Sony or Microsoft doing so is some kind of injustice just shows how warped generation mentality is. Games these days have such long legs and even longer development cycles that if they truly ignored the previous gen in favour of the current they would have barely enough to cover costs. It just makes no sense to ignore playerbases because an enthusiast forum chants the need to do so.

Cross-gen is now in such a way that it doesn't just disappear six months down the track, but instead it's ingrained in supporting titles far longer. Just look at the likes of Apple, who still supports five to seven year old iPhones. Developers can still target the technology in the PS5/XSX such that it provides that "next-gen" experience enthusiasts crave, without dropping past-gen support. Yes it won't be as incredibly in-depth, but really how much further can graphical prowess go before we hit that dead end?
Why would I spend $500 to just rub it in someone's face? They sold millions of people on a new experience and then told us to wait, literally years to see it.
Granted Sony did push generational separation more than Microsoft, and as such set up expectations to a degree, but things change. Development is ever fluctuating, and as such evolves to what is impacting them at the time. You still have a $500 machine that offers exceptional next-gen features in just the SSD alone, alongside better frame rate and resolution quality.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Not a ton but I think it's safe to say at least TLoU Factions will be and maybe one or two smaller titles.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Delaying something that's ready costs a lot of money. There are also agreements you have to deal with, delay games by third-party developed for it, etc. I understand that you're frustrated. It also sucks that people don't have the chance to get a PS5 like you did.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Yes. The Show, some multiplayer titles, and probably some other Sackboy-sized games. Idk if we should expect anything as big as God of War or GT7 after those titles. Maybe though.

Aug 23, 2018
Given how PS5 was marketed a little more than a year ago, it's pretty wild that almost all their big first party game's releasing in 2022 will be cross gen.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this extend another year, at least with some games.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019

Even so, PlayStation exclusives are always benchmarks among the three main console makers for gorgeous output and drawing every last pixel from the console to deliver stunning games. Flagship titles that are also developed for 2013 consoles is a bit disappointing when you know the next God of War could look phenomenal and have gameplay elements that are unique to the CPU / SSD combo within the new consoles. Instead, it's just "developed for PS4, optimized for PS5" in the end. And for Sony … I expect them to blow us away with tech.