KENMASTERS1

Apr 9, 2021
From the HFW update:

I'd like to believe that Sony are just covering their ass with clear-as-crystal language about what to expect for GoW and GT7 upgrades, but, gotta say this line makes me wonder if we're looking at not getting out of cross-gen until 2023.

Am I reading too far into it, or should we expect other studios to still be doing cross-gen stuff?

There definitely will be future titles. GoW and GT won't be the only remaining ones. They have titles in the cooker as we speak.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really buy the Covid exscuse for having more cross gen games. Making developers suddenly make another 2 versions (PS4 and PS4 Pro) of the game at the last minute would only increase the workload and crunch on developers and make their lives more difficult.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who knows about GT7, for whatever reason Sony allows them far too much grace to get games out in a timely fashion. They probably looked at GT5 and GT6 sales and decided it makes more sense business wise to make it crossgen. You don't really need to be next gen only, you can still add raytracing and other next gen features to it. I suggest people get vocal about GT7, maybe they will offer a free upgrade for that too?

Of course Sony had to back it up with next gen games, but Sony has never had this many crossgen games before. That I believe is because of how much games costs now and because the PS4 is so much easier to make crossgen games for than it was with the PS3 era. Regardless, there really was no point in making that statement other than to poke with a stick like they usually do. It's kind of backfiring now with their next gen upgrade pricing shenanigans though.

They never had this many cross gen games because PS4 was literally incompatible with PS3 and the PS3 was such a massive upgrade compared to PS2 it didn't make sense to have cross gen titles.

And it bears repeating that both of those launches were either light on games or extremely light on quality games. And the first year for both were starved of content.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
They never had this many cross gen games because PS4 was literally incompatible with PS3 and the PS3 was such a massive upgrade compared to PS2 it didn't make sense to have cross gen titles.

Yeah, the gulf between PS4 and PS5 when you factor in things like resolution isn't as big as people realize, I don't think. Which isn't to say it doesn't exist. The maturity of modern engines and toolsets also makes it a lot easier.

But on the PS5 specifically you have titles aiming for 60-120FPS, and upwards of 4K. On the PS4, you can aim towards 30 FPS and dynamic resolutions under 1080p if needed.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

And it bears repeating that both of those launches were either light on games or extremely light on quality games. And the first year for both were starved of content.
How many crossgen 1st party games were there on the PS2? Anyways the irony in why they needed to say "we believe in generations" is all the more puzzling.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
It's hardly different for either Xbox or Nintendo.

BOTW, Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, all cross gen.

In comparison Sony actually had next gen exclusives at launch (Demons Souls, Astro Bot) and carried that on to this year with Ratchet and Returnal.

The PS5 has easily been the best Playstation to adopt early in recent memory, only beaten by PS2, which still had a more lacklustre launch lineup in comparison.
Every single generation lmao, people really should know what to expect by now, as you've said it's actually been quite good compared to the past lol.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
It's hardly different for either Xbox or Nintendo.

BOTW, Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, all cross gen.

In comparison Sony actually had next gen exclusives at launch (Demons Souls, Astro Bot) and carried that on to this year with Ratchet and Returnal.

The PS5 has easily been the best Playstation to adopt early in recent memory, only beaten by PS2, which still had a more lacklustre launch lineup in comparison.

PS5 - the only console with next gen exclusives - being uniquely criticised for not having enough next gen exclusives.

Never change Era. Never change.