Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I think Sony will keep making their smaller franchises PS5 only, their big ones will stay cross gen for a while and the delays from COVID just push them even further. Like, wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Man 2 is cross gen. If this means 60FPS games stay around for a bit longer, I'm perfectly okay with it.

mpak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 5, 2021
I have no idea why Sony still releases or even planning to release the games on PS4. It is clearly obvious from the sales that PS5 has most of the sales from the titles that exist on both platforms. I believe the original plan was to release the games the first year and then it would not be a problem. COVID shuffled the board.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I have no idea why Sony still releases or even planning to release the games on PS4. It is clearly obvious from the sales that PS5 has most of the sales from the titles that exist on both platforms. I believe the original plan was to release the games the first year and then it would not be a problem. COVID shuffled the board.

Money. They are going to get those PS5 sales regardless, as practically none is skipping 1st party PlayStation exclusive on PS5 just because there is PS4 version available.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and they should port Ratchet, Returnal and Demon's Souls Remake to PS4. The more people that get to play these games, the better.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

The reason why they decided to make them crossgen is you have a ton of PS4's out there and it doesn't cost them much to create two different versions. Development costs versus potential sales. Do we know how many copies of Spiderman sold on PS4 and how many on PS5?

If Covid shuffled the board the games would be delayed, why would that make it more plausible for crossgen as more and more get a PS5? These games were always designed to be crossgen I feel.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Increased visual clarity, additional graphical features and double the performance is a good start. Look at what you've got instead of what's missing.

Current-gen exclusives will be the norm by 2023, hopefully.
Okay but given how long games take to make…it's 2021 right now GT7, FW, GoW 5 are all 2022 titles. Polyphony made one game last gen. Guerrilla made one game last gen, Sony Santa Monica made one game last gen. You're telling me I'm supposed to be okay with marquee system selling titles being designed around the limitations of a CPU from 2013 knowing full well this is going to be one of two titles I may get from these studios this generation? and then you're asking me to pay $70 for a glorified "Pro" version? Nope I can't agree with that. I know why 3rd parties do it, but you're the platform holder. It's up to you to show us what the hardware can do. It doesn't matter if current gen exclusives are the norm in a year or two when the games I want to play, the games that matter, are cross gen.

mpak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 5, 2021
The reason why they decided to make them crossgen is you have a ton of PS4's out there and it doesn't cost them much to create two different versions. Development costs versus potential sales
But that's just mean that those games were made for PS4 from the very beginning.

OP
OP
DailyCalmSpirit
May 17, 2018
Okay but given how long games take to make…it's 2021 right now GT7, FW, GoW 5 are all 2022 titles. Polyphony made one game last gen. Guerrilla made one game last gen, Sony Santa Monica made one game last gen. You're telling me I'm supposed to be okay with marquee system selling titles being designed around the limitations of a CPU from 2013 knowing full well this is going to be one of two titles I may get from these studios this generation? and then you're asking me to pay $70 for a glorified "Pro" version? Nope I can't agree with that. I know why 3rd parties do it, but you're the platform holder. It's up to you to show us what the hardware can do. It doesn't matter if current gen exclusives are the norm in a year or two when the games I want to play, the games that matter, are cross gen.

Exactly to all of this, and, some of those games were crunched to even make those release dates, so, now imagine how much longer it will take just to make those games, now that they are possibly getting more relaxed milestones. And what was all that shit about "we asked developers what they want in next gen, and they told us they want SSD." Did they also tell you they don't want to start using it for another 4 years or something? Why put it in there if you're barely going to take advantage of it?

I also don't quite understand why it was OK for Sony to leave behind the PS1, PS2, PS3, and PSP userbases, but, not the PS4's. To me, it just reads as Sony was willing to take the risks back then and leave the bases behind in order to really try and advance the industry. Just adds to the notion that Sony is becoming increasingly more risk-averse as time moves on. Only focused on maximizing profits.

Now, oh no, we have millions of PS4 owners we can sell those to as well. It's not as if PS4 owners don't already have literally thousands of games they can already play. They'll be fine.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

First week sales always show the PS5 versions taking the lions share. As you'd expect. The hardcore who are the ones pre-ordering games and taking up most of week one sales are the same people that probably moved to PS5 fast.

Later weeks very often move back to favouring PS4 sales as the amount of PS5 owners who haven't bought the game yet dry up.

We saw exactly that with RE8. It sold a massive percentage on PS5 over PS4 launch week and then, within a few weeks, PS4 copies were outselling PS5.

We only usually see and talk about the former because week one sales are the most interesting ones thread-wise. They ultimately still sell loads on PS4.

Jul 1, 2020
Honestly I'm expecting fewer of them versus PS4. Sony seems to be on a path of making these incredibly high budget cinematic games and they won't be able to release a lot of them over the next 7 years or so.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
They'll be more. Way too many people own PS4's and its still really difficult to get a PS5 thanks to the world problems. Sony would be leaving a lot of money on the table by making big games PS5 exclusive. You should just assume.

Nov 5, 2018
Saitama, Japan
Whether Era like it or not, HFW, Ragnarok, and GT7 have already been developed with PS4 in mind for more than 3 years. Making them exclusive to PS5 doesn't suddenly make them exempt from being called cross-gen. What's happened happened. At this point, it's more asinine not to release these games on PS4.

OP
OP
DailyCalmSpirit
May 17, 2018
Whether Era like it or not, HFW, Ragnarok, and GT7 have already been developed with PS4 in mind for more than 3 years. Making them exclusive to PS5 doesn't suddenly make them exempt from being called cross-gen. What's happened happened. At this point, it's more asinine not to release these games on PS4.

I know, but what's also gonna happen, is, if they make a PS6, I won't be pre-ordering if the same leadership is in place still blowing smoke.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really should have been upfront about it. It's clear they knew perfectly well all these games are going to release on PS4 when they proudly declared their belief in generations.

terawatt

Oct 27, 2017
Most of you can't even tell the difference between next gen and cross gen unless it's labled. If Forbidden West removed any mention of the ps4 you would all be celebrating a built for ps5 exclusive.

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
But that's just mean that those games were made for PS4 from the very beginning.
When companies tell you "This game would be totally impossible on the old hardware", they are usually exaggerating a lot with some honorable exceptions.

Usually, it is rather the consumers who convince ourselves of this, to justify our purchase of new hardware.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Sure they are PS4 games 100%. What's happened has happened. Just don't lie and say you believe in generations when in fact, you don't. And have had games in development for PS4 primarily since 2017 and 2018, even though you also knew PS5 would be out in 2020. And then have the audacity to charge $70 as if it's different and somehow "next gen". Can't be next gen tied to a Jaguar processor.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe Sony pushed "we believe in generations" as a key differentiator between them and their competitors, only to then latch on to the archaic old gen harder than anybody else.

Anybody else ?

Is this a joke ?

The switch hardware was archaic the day it released and no upgrade in sight despite new expensive models.

99% of xbox games are cross gen.

Including the flagship halo title that had to be delayed because of how underwhelming it looked.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I think once Sony sees the split percentage on horizon I think they will end cross gen after gt and gow. The split will only get worse as time goes on.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I think they're just covering themselves for things like Factions and MLB. I don't think it's going to go beyond what's already announced otherwise.

I cannot see TLOU remake being on PS4 as well because there's already a Remastered version of that game on PS4.

Oct 27, 2017
This too.

It's already absurdly lop-sided, even with the install base.
If even 10% of your sales are on the older platform, then you absolutely should port it. What's the benefit in just cutting off older hardware if the game is still playable on it?

There are some games like R&C with its high SSD needs or FS2020 with its high CPU needs that just probably won't be a playable experience on the last gen consoles but those are the exceptions. Most games can be ported if you just reduced graphical details and resolution enough.

I do think 4A gave us a glimpse of when the old generation will have to be left behind and that's when a game is entirely designed around ray traced lighting. If ray tracing is just used for reflections, it's not a big deal to drop it but it all your lighting is built using RT, then it adds a lot of time and cost to redo it. I think DF talked about this in one of their deep dives on the Metro Exodus update.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
What the fuck.

So, just so I'm clear, possibly until 2023, we'll have more second-party PS5 exclusives than first? Am I missing anything here?

1P: Astro, R&C
2P: Returnal, Demon's Souls, Deathloop, Kena, Ghostwire Tokyo, Destruction All-Stars, FFXVI, Forspoken

OK, but, that doesn't make me feel any less like I wasted money on unused tech. Had a perfectly good PS4 Pro just sitting there.
5 of those are 3rd party games.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Would I be correct in assuming that you're frustrated by the state of the entire AAA industry rather any one platform or publisher?
I know people say this often but COVID really did have a terrible effect, be it longer game development cycle or the global chip shortage. I know it's not an ideal situation but the sooner we accept this prolonged cross-gen period, the better.
If the games that matter the most turn out just as good as you had hoped, what difference does their cross-gen foundations really make in your sensory enjoyment.

Let me give you an example, Breath of the Wild sequel is one of my most anticipated titles for 2022 and it's being developed on a mobile chipset. I'd be a fool to let the information hamper my enthusiasm.

OP
OP
DailyCalmSpirit
May 17, 2018
Most of you can't even tell the difference between next gen and cross gen unless it's labled. If Forbidden West removed any mention of the ps4 you would all be celebrating a built for ps5 exclusive.

I guarantee you, the second I have to enter a crawl space or squeeze between walls, I'll notice it right there.

I wasn't expecting a big graphical bump, I was expecting game design changes.

5 of those are 3rd party games.

Yeah, my bad, but that's even worse, considering they don't even get the resources 2nd party gets, sometimes.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy it. Sony knew exactly what they were doing by making that remark. Back when the games were first revealed saying how games like Horizon couldn't be possible on last gen hardware. Even when I suggested Spiderman Miles would be cross gen I was instantly shot down.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, would have predicted games releasing in 2022 would be crossgen. It is of course very easy to suggest now that they meant controller features and such. This site can only go back so far with peoples history and what people were saying a year ago.
It's okay not to buy it, but the fact is that when he said "we believe in generations", it was qualified in the subsequent statement, and qualified again when the journalists at launch wrote their reviews expressing the same point about what the PS5-only features represented, from a generation standpoint. The quote is sometimes used appropriately, but mostly missused. What people were saying on here, myself included, were opinions that probably should have considered the global pandemic which is affecting the schedules and decisions of all companies.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I sure as shit ain't early-adopting another Playstation console.

It's hardly different for either Xbox or Nintendo.

BOTW, Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, all cross gen.

In comparison Sony actually had next gen exclusives at launch (Demons Souls, Astro Bot) and carried that on to this year with Ratchet and Returnal.

The PS5 has easily been the best Playstation to adopt early in recent memory, only beaten by PS2, which still had a more lacklustre launch lineup in comparison.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Their saying it for MLB's sake... and maybe small titles. Doubt it'll see more of their big hitters after this lot

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
We will be in cross gen period till 2023 most likely (end of it if I have to bet) which means that there should be at least a couple of unannounced 1st party Sony titles which will also be crossgen.

Jun 23, 2019
I sure as shit ain't early-adopting another Playstation console.
Lol what? Why are people acting like COVID hasn't completely changed the game? Do you all think we would be getting this many cross-gen games when it was apparent from launch that Sony wanted to transition from PS4 to PS5 as quickly as possible?

Oct 27, 2017
As an enthusiast, I'm happy anytime a game is cross-platform. The differences in games available exclusive on PS5 versus PS5/PC or PS5/PC/PS4 are so miniscule.
So far. And with ridiculous thinking like this from Sony it'll continue to be this way.

On topic extremely disappointed (though not surprised) with this news. Sony continues to be full of bullshit on this topic, they'll likely releasing games on PS4 well into 2023, which is just farcical.

Oct 25, 2017
As an enthusiast, I'm happy anytime a game is cross-platform. The differences in games available exclusive on PS5 versus PS5/PC or PS5/PC/PS4 are so miniscule.

What makes games good and worth playing are generally outside of the realm of tech, which is why old games continue to be fun, or indie games, or low budget titles.

Yeah, I completely agree tbh it's a non issue imo

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It's okay not to buy it, but the fact is that when he said "we believe in generations", it was qualified in the subsequent statement, and qualified again when the journalists at launch wrote their reviews expressing the same point about what the PS5-only features represented, from a generation standpoint. The quote is sometimes used appropriately, but mostly missused. What people were saying on here, myself included, were opinions that probably should have considered the global pandemic which is affecting the schedules and decisions of all companies.

friends-ross.gif

Like I said, it is so easy after the fact to say it now. The global pandemic likely had little to do with their decisions to make the announced games crossgen, those decisions were made long ago. They are just taking longer to come out than they first thought. The pandemic had nothing at all to do with their statement of we believe in generations. It was simply another marketing ploy to try and differenciate themselves from its competitors.

Now if we could only look back in time at those threads and when those games were first announced...

Lol what? Why are people acting like COVID hasn't completely changed the game? Do you all think we would be getting this many cross-gen games when it was apparent from launch that Sony wanted to transition from PS4 to PS5 as quickly as possible?

The only thing that has changed is the same as the other hardware makers and publishers, it's just taking longer to make the games. They aren't dragging out crossgen, the games that were planned to be crossgen just aren't hitting their original target dates. Sony wasn't going to ignore all those PS4 owners right away, not with rising costs and development taking longer each generation.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and I'm fine with it. I've been trying to get a ps5 or XSX at retail price for weeks and have had no luck despite following multiple Twitter accounts dedicated to stock updates.

I could honestly see the problem not getting fixed until late next year. So I'm glad that I won't be missing out on any big games until then.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I would laugh my ass off if they had the balls to remake TLOU and then put it out on the PS4. The sheer audacity.

And yes, there are definitely going to be more cross-gen games out of them.

To be honest, the game is almost 10 years old by the time the remake comes out. It is funny, however, but more to do with how long the PS4 has lasted than anything else.

On topic, I'm pretty sure everything moving forward until at least 2023 will be cross-gen.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
friends-ross.gif

Like I said, it is so easy after the fact to say it now. The global pandemic likely had little to do with their decisions to make the announced games crossgen, those decisions were made long ago. They are just taking longer to come out than they first thought. The pandemic had nothing at all to do with their statement of we believe in generations. It was simply another marketing ploy to try and differenciate themselves from its competitors.

Now if we could only look back in time at those threads and when those games were first announced...

God of War 2/Forbidden West were in development for far too long to be full fledged PS5 games ready to ship in 2021-2022. if they were completely next gen we'd probably be expecting them in 2023 or beyond. And without Covid we'd probably have gotten Forbidden West this year.

Only Gran Turismo 7 sticks out as likely being a casualty of the pandemic in becoming cross gen, it's probably really easy to downgrade it to PS4 so they opted to add that as a choice.

None of this changes the fact that Sony still delivered next gen only games at launch and their major titles this year, Ratchet, Returnal & Destruction All Stars are all next gen only.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
God of War 2/Forbidden West were in development for far too long to be full fledged PS5 games ready to ship in 2021-2022. if they were completely next gen we'd probably be expecting them in 2023 or beyond. And without Covid we'd probably have gotten Forbidden West this year.

Only Gran Turismo 7 sticks out as likely being a casualty of the pandemic in becoming cross gen, it's probably really easy to downgrade it to PS4 so they opted to add that as a choice.

None of this changes the fact that Sony still delivered next gen only games at launch and their major titles this year, Ratchet, Returnal & Destruction All Stars are all next gen only.

Who knows about GT7, for whatever reason Sony allows them far too much grace to get games out in a timely fashion. They probably looked at GT5 and GT6 sales and decided it makes more sense business wise to make it crossgen. You don't really need to be next gen only, you can still add raytracing and other next gen features to it. I suggest people get vocal about GT7, maybe they will offer a free upgrade for that too?

Of course Sony had to back it up with next gen games, but Sony has never had this many crossgen games before. That I believe is because of how much games costs now and because the PS4 is so much easier to make crossgen games for than it was with the PS3 era. Regardless, there really was no point in making that statement other than to poke with a stick like they usually do. It's kind of backfiring now with their next gen upgrade pricing shenanigans though.