Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Never the glaring technical issues that Origins had
Do people seriously forget this kind of stuff?

kotaku.com

Sources: Warner Bros. Knew That Arkham Knight PC Was A Mess For Months

You can’t buy Batman: Arkham Knight for the PC right now. Warner Bros. pulled it from digital and physical shelves last week, after players found that the PC version had critical performance issues. From what sources tell Kotaku, however, this shouldn’t have been a surprise for Warner Bros.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
If this is a State of Play announcement, looks like Sony wants to be the "home" of superhero games. Exclusivity of Spider-Man, marketing deal with Avengers, and now this.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Already happened in Origins, it was surprisingly not terrible and had lots of potential for a future iteration.

Yeah, I'd like to see another attempt at that. Splash Damage did a good job of translating the Batman side to a multiplayer experience, but the criminal side felt like a cheap Gears of War clone.

If there is another attempt at Arkham Multiplayer hopefully they can work in more of the melee elements of the core game.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Do people seriously forget this kind of stuff?

kotaku.com

Sources: Warner Bros. Knew That Arkham Knight PC Was A Mess For Months

You can’t buy Batman: Arkham Knight for the PC right now. Warner Bros. pulled it from digital and physical shelves last week, after players found that the PC version had critical performance issues. From what sources tell Kotaku, however, this shouldn’t have been a surprise for Warner Bros.

I can't speak for PC players, and I do sympathize for their complaints, but on the consoles, the game worked well once the updates kicked in. You can't say the same with Arkham Origins. It frequently crashed. And WB could never be bothered to resolve these issues. But they had no problems releasing their DLC.

Say what you will about Arkham Knight, but the game handled quite well on the consoles, and I speak as one who plays the Arkham Trilogy on a semi annual basis.

You can't say the same with Arkham Origins. It's the Joel Schumacher installment of the series.

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does it noticed too much that I never played Origins? :P

I should play it someday :0
I never played Origins because someone famously posted the ending to the game as one of the first comments in a thread about the game..... before it was released, like they were trying to have a conversation about a twist at the end of the game.

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
The first one of the logos actually reminds me of the... well, Arkham logo:
712tObwVuCL._SL1500_.jpg

Donsonite

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The Batmobile was fantastic for traversal, it'd be a step back to not have it in a new Arkham game, just hopefully without the bat-tank parts.

Please be single-player focused though...

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Origins is the only batman game not on EGS, so maybe a small shred of hope it won't be?

Given how little WB seems to care about Origins, who knows.

The game didn't get a digital release on 360 fsr. It rarely goes on sale except weirdly for PC sometimes, and the DLC never goes on sale while the others do. The servers were barely up for very long at all before they were shut down.

Just a lot of clear lack of care from WB, although, given it's WB and they don't seem to care about doing more than the bare minimum anyway, who is surprised? They don't let people know when their games are getting delisted, they're fine with farming out PC ports to cheap studios where they are released literally unplayable, and with no shame they've dropped in some of the most blatantly bad microtransactions in singleplayer games. It's just. Man the last couple years have really made me hate WB. Such a shame because they publish lego games (which also, for years they've been bad about PC support with especially with DLC content until VERY recently). And now I'm worried lego games will be EGS exclusive too :(

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
WB don't care about Origins. It falls into the same category as other off-shoot franchise titles that tend to be regulated to history by publishers unhappy with critical reception. Asylum and City were 90+ Metacritic, award winning games. City in particular is a critical and commercial darling. Origins was, by comparison, a mid 70s Metacritic title with middling critical reception due to its lack of noteworthy advancement in the formula (which was never going to happen, and contrasts against City over Asylum), a deceptive story that was perceived as another tired retread of the Joker as the primary antagonist, and launched with a number of technical and bug issues that were never resolved.

I adore Origins. It's probably my favourite of that entire line of games. But yeah. Where Asylum, City, and even Knight are seen as critical and commercial darlings (Knight has significantly more game design issues than Origins, in my opinion, but that's an argument for another time), and part of a generally coherent trilogy of games, Origins will forever be regulated to the less successful, less acclaimed back room of side projects that aren't necessary to maintain the franchise identity. Wouldn't even be surprised if, if WB decided to port the Arkham series to modern hardware some flashy upgrades they'd just still with the "Arkham Trilogy" or some shit and leave Origins out of the picture entirely.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
WB don't care about Origins. It falls into the same category as other off-shoot franchise titles that tend to be regulated to history by publishers unhappy with critical reception. Asylum and City were 90+ Metacritic, award winning games. City in particular is a critical and commercial darling. Origins was, by comparison, a mid 70s Metacritic title with middling critical reception due to its lack of noteworthy advancement in the formula (which was never going to happen, and contrasts against City over Asylum), a deceptive story that was perceived as another tired retread of the Joker as the primary antagonist, and launched with a number of technical and bug issues that were never resolved.

I adore Origins. It's probably my favourite of that entire line of games. But yeah. Where Asylum, City, and even Knight are seen as critical and commercial darlings (Knight has significantly more game design issues than Origins, in my opinion, but that's an argument for another time), and part of a generally coherent trilogy of games, Origins will forever be regulated to the less successful, less acclaimed back room of side projects that aren't necessary to maintain the franchise identity. Wouldn't even be surprised if, if WB decided to port the Arkham series to modern hardware some flashy upgrades they'd just still with the "Arkham Trilogy" or some shit and leave Origins out of the picture entirely.

But see man that's such a shame because I feel like a lot of other companies would totally keep those up. Not always, but yeah WB always does this. The bare minimum. It just doesn't feel like they care at all about any of their games.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
But see man that's such a shame because I feel like a lot of other companies would totally keep those up. Not always, but yeah WB always does this. The bare minimum. It just doesn't feel like they care at all about any of their games.

It's shitty too because while I feel Knight is by far the weakest of the bunch, the four packed together is legitimately some of the best gaming around. The Arkham series is still my gold standard of superhero games.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
It's shitty too because while I feel Knight is by far the weakest of the bunch, the four packed together is legitimately some of the best gaming around. The Arkham series is still my gold standard of superhero games.

I feel as though the architecture/worldview of Knight is the weakest of the three main games, but in terms of diversity/freedom/being Batman, it's the best of the three. It's so much fun to grapple up into the sky, swoop down over the streets, summon the Batmobile, and just dive right into it and speed off seamlessly. Every single time I do it, I have the theme from the Joel Schumacher films playing in my head, haha.

Also, story-wise, it's incredible. The idea that nobody's scared of "The Batman" any more because they're all so used to having him around is a fantastic take on the lore.

I did miss the gothic art/architecture from Asylum and City immensely, though.

Arkham Origins just looks bland to me. I understand it's a fun spin on the Joker thing, but the game looks bland and Batman being roided up and in full-on metal armour during what's supposed to be the second year in his career seemed really weird to me. There was real opportunity there to have him be the urban legend criminals initially thought he was.

The game also looked incredibly bland and it was janky as hell.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When Origins first dropped I really wasn't a fan, but maybe that was more down to fatigue at the time. These days I think it's pretty underrated and criminally ignored. It's got one of the better stories in the Arkham series and has some really fun boss fights. I still remember the dozens of attempts I took trying to get the achievement for beating Deathstroke without taking any hits.

His boss battle in Knight was incredibly disappointing in comparison.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

It's one of those series that just keeps eluding me. I need to sit down and play them.