• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you pay 60 bucks for a Metroid 1-4 compilation on Nintendo Switch?

• Yes...if not more!

Votes: 599 48.2%
  • Yes, but it'd have to cost less.

Votes: 262 21.1%
  • Only if it cost less and included more games.

Votes: 89 7.2%
  • No.

Votes: 293 23.6%

• Total voters

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? How do you do this? Is it just part of Citra by default?
It's only for VC games (or for any retroarch emulator in general), it works by connecting retroarch to the retroachievements website. It's pretty neat and it even has support for a few popular romhacks.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Planning on getting a Switch for Dread (if reviews are up to snuff) and would pay top dolllar for a compilation like this.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Easily. There's no affordable way to play most of them now and I have to plug in my Wii U to access most of them or pull out my 3DS and it's ass screen. I love fusion and zero mission but I don't play them anymore because I don't own the carts for them. There's a reason I mainly only replay super anymore

OP
OP
PaulGaleNetwork
Dec 11, 2017
People are complaining that 1 and Super are already on the NSO, but the real t is that Nintendo will figure out a way to remaster Samus Returns and sell it on the Switch. They might sell it standalone, or they might package it with the other 2D games, so hoping for a collection is probably the best value we will get out of this, really.

Yeah, and in this proposal, Metroid: Zero Mission is included. I personally think that Samus Returns alone, with improved visuals and performance, makes this bundle worth $60. 40 bucks going to one game and 20 being split across the other three = good value I think!

Actually if GB/C and GBA just came to NSO they'd be covered. I can live without Samus Returns HD and Other M HD.

You would be getting most of the series; true.

I already own all of the games in some form except for Metroid II and I don't even like Metroid much, so no.

In this bundle, Samus Returns takes over the original Metroid II.

Of course I would pay 70$ for a Metroid Compilation. They can take my 80$ right now. I don't mind paying 90$ for an amazingly remastered collection of four great games.
It is not like 25$ per game would be a great trouble, even though 125$ is quite a lot for me personally, but I would be okay with that when it is well done.

Yeah, if we were talking full on remakes with exceptional detail and having the ability to toggle, then the value goes up immensely in my opinion.

At this very moment, I'd pay $239.99 for Metroid ZM - Fusion on Switch; $59.99 each. Digital only? I'd still drop the cash! Only available during the month of September? Better buy that shit real quick. ;)

And I own all four games already and I played through them this month (Metroid Day weekend). DREAD HYPE IS THROUGH THE ROOF AFTER TRAILER #2! Now is the time to take advange of me, Nintendo!

Now that's a fan! Let's will this thing into existence!

Sure, it'll never happen though.

Fingers crossed! :)

3 of those were 7€ on the Wii U years ago, Super is on NSO, and Samus Returns was made by Mercury Steam, who I only know from their very mediocre Castlevania games, so no.

Samus Returns is an excellent game that hopefully you get to try out one of these days. Worth it in my opinion!

Sure I would. Nintendo will never let this be this cheap though..

We can only hope!

ÂŁ25 is at wait for a sale territory.

Not bad.

Nintendo should do this. One of the curses of this series is that it's best games had the misfortune of being on Nintendo's less popular (or older) consoles.

The fact that the only way to play Fusion (the game before Dread) is on a Gameboy Advance or a WiiU is a travesty.

Yeah, I think Nintendo Switch is the system to pull off a compilation on. The ratio of games sold to owners of the console is great. Now is the time to revive franchises, Big N!

Give me all the games, I'll pay whatever price they want. Just having all of them centrally located would be fantastic so I could play them in the chronological order of events for the series. I'm including Other M in this too since I never actually played it and I would have an easy enough time treating it as a Samus fever dream if it's as bad as everyone says.

One machine to play the whole 2D franchise...it'd be great! And Other M does have some good to it...just not of the pedigree of what you expect out of Metroid.

I see Metroid, I buy Metroid. Price be damned.

I see that and agree! Awesome.

No. Sell Samus Returns for $35 stand alone. Put the originals together in a collection for $25 and add the savestate feature from the SNES app.

That ability to save and rewind (the latter on NSO) is great!

My pitch for this has always been series specific add ons for NSO - so maybe $20 extra one time charge to add the Metroid library to your NSO with the 2D collection - could do the same with Zelda etc... if they dont want to add whole console libraries, I think specific series that people love would be popular additions if they did a few every year (Zelda, Earthbound/Mother, Mario handheld stuff etc...)

Kind of like how Nintendo offered Fire Emblem for a side charge, they should do so with a Metroid bundle. One time charges to permanently have something in your library is a smart idea.

See I took it as a yes in the way that we have had topics of people wishing games were more expensive which is why I did not consider that option a yes.

Oh I see what you mean. I didn't intend it to come off like that!

Add official randomisers to Super and Zero Mission and I'm there.

I mean, even excluding them I'd probably be there, but still.

The more options, the better.

No those games have been $0-$7 on the eshop or NSO.

They should all be included with the NSO sub tbh.

With Samus Returns being added in, I think that helps the value.

Prime 1 - 3 in HD, yes.

But Metroid and Super Metroid are already included in the online service, so I'd need a little more enticement than that and the GBA games.

One of these four is Samus Returns which helps out.

Nope, I have all the OG copies.

I have them too. Good seeing someone else with the originals!

Yes, and I already beat ZM, Super, and Fusion this week!

All right! That's what I like to hear, haha.

The prime trilogy I would. Not for this though.

For sure I'd be up for Prime Trilogy HD!

if the collection included making-of documentaries and a lot of artwork and design documents like some Limited Editions do, i'd be on board.

for a barebones release $40 would be more appropiate. Samus Returns justifies that pricepoint alongside the other games. if it was only the 2D games, the collection shouldn't be more than $20 max.

A "making of" would be really cool, along with an art gallery of sorts. I'd love that.

They have to have new stuff. They can't be straight rom dumps!

Highly cleaned, optional widescreen modes!

Yeah, sure, I'd buy that for $60. I'd prefer some upgraded visual for the GBA games, but I'd buy it regardless.

It'd be great to play Zero Mission and Fusion, super crisp!

Don't forget Nintendo making it a limited digital-only release that will disappear in 3 months.

In that case, I'm Day One! (Well, I'd be, anyways...)

I didn't read the OP before voting like a dumbass.

With Zero Mission and Samus Returns, yeah, I'd pay 60. Not with Metroid NES and 2 obviously.

Haha, it's all good. Yeah, Samus Returns and Zero Mission being included for sure.

Nah. I'm a Metroid fan, but I'm not a sucker.

I see. That's all right!

Then people should just buy Metroid Dread, that will help that perception much more, I think.

I hope Metroid Dread sells 5-7 million copies, then Nintendo drops said bundle several months later, some time after that we get Prime Trilogy HD, followed by Metroid Prime 4. Staggered dates of these four releases between October, 2021 and March, 2023, keeping the fans happy and building new love for the series...man, that's what I'd like to see! Following this type of timeline and I think we'd get a new Metroid game every 3.5 years or so. Fingers crossed!

If it has 'Metroid' in the title, consider it bought.

Thank you!

it should be part of NSO

That would be cool.

Nintendo would be glad to sell each one for $60, so if they'd release this bundle you better believe you're getting a deal out of it.

Haha, yeah it'd be great value!

Yes. I would love to support more Metroid on current hardware.

Nice!

What an OP. Single handedly replying to almost every response to his thread.

giphy.gif

I'm working on it! Haha, thank you very much; I appreciate it. :) When I make a thread, I really enjoying replying to each and every person. Depending on the amount of responses...it does sometime take a little longer!

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Yoshio Sakamoto is deadset on remaking these games with a different visual style, however he is unsure which of the following to go with. after he has planted a bomb inside your skull that will detonate of you do not choose, he asks you: Which one?

abdullah-durrani-metroid-print2-export.jpg

durrani19.artstation.com

Metroid mock up

Metroid mock up by Abdullah Durrani.

tumblr_nihqz2wE791soo5b1o1_1280.jpg

robinwouters.tumblr.com

Robin Wouters

A little fanart/experiment. I really wish Nintendo would make another 2D Metroid game.

6asgfpcv0y651.png

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I'm far, FAR more interested in a Prime trilogy on Switch. But still, hell yes. I will never not want Metroid.

Jul 1, 2020
Nope. It'd have to be $40 or less. Nintendo is basically the only company in the industry that can get away with charging top dollar for barebones implementations of their classic games. What I would pay top dollar for is the same collection done in the style of what Digital Eclipse does.

OP
OP
PaulGaleNetwork
Dec 11, 2017
Metroid gets my money. The collector's edition. Everything!!

Heck yeah, thanks for supporting the cause!

Thought this was about the Prime trilogy and thought yes, 60 bucks no problem. Then I saw your list and I was like...uhhh no.

Yeah, Prime Trilogy HD for $60 is an easy buy!

I already own all of them physically, except for Samus Returns, so maybe not. I'd still be tempted, mind.

And you know that in this bundle, Samus Returns also got a sweet visual bump to help tempt you!

With the Samus Returns 3D remake in the package, yeah, I'd consider it.

I'd rather they offer them all digitally as separate purchases though. $30 cad for Samus Returns, and $10-15 for each of the others would be great.

That'd be a fair setup, too.

Fewer than 14 million, sadly. Nintendo has an awesome opportunity here to boost up nearly all of their dormant franchises.

Bah bah bo Bah BAH Bah bo bah bee bah bo bah BAAAAAAHHH!!
tenor.gif

Choo choooooo!

If we're specifically talking Zero Mission and Samus Returns where Metroid 1 and 2 are concerned like OP says, then yes, without question. Wouldn't even have to think about it. Not if it was OG Metroid 1 and 2, though.

Yeah, definitely the updated two!

Doesn't have to do with the bundle itself but rather with Nintendo's practices in general. I have ~30 VC games on 3DS and about another 10 on WiiU and there's no way (and will most likely never be) to play them from a Switch or any future Nintendo device.

If I buy a game I want it to be the last time I'm buying it. You might say "you can still play them on your 3DS", but the thing is I don't have to. I've hacked my 3DS and backed up my library so now I have access to from any PC. On top of that there are romhacks, achievements and custom filters.

So yeah, a bit ranting and going off-topic, but I'm done giving Nintendo money for sub-par services.

I was glad that Wii games transferred over to Wii U, but yeah, it'd have really been something special to have that continue with Nintendo Switch. Hoping that Nintendo has a great future back/forward compatible setup with NS.

Why bot? It's Nintendo and we are used to pay high prices for ports/remakes.

If we get enough games in a bundle/extra work done, I'll pay the price.

Before, I wanted this more than anything. But dolphin + prime trilogy with kb and m and high res texture packs…I think I'd pass on nintendos offering now

How are you enjoying the Prime Trilogy?

I'd complain about it but still buy it.

Haha, excellent.

Wait what? How do you do this? Is it just part of Citra by default?

Hopefully you're gotten back to. (Looks like you are below. Nice.)

No, with remade visuals, then yeah, im not paying full price for ports.

Yeah, a bit of a soft upgrade approach.

It's only for VC games (or for any retroarch emulator in general), it works by connecting retroarch to the retroachievements website. It's pretty neat and it even has support for a few popular romhacks.

That is pretty cool.

Planning on getting a Switch for Dread (if reviews are up to snuff) and would pay top dolllar for a compilation like this.

I hope you enjoy gaming on the console. Are you getting the OLED Model by any chance? And yeah, this compilation would be great!

Nice!

Oh sick. Will look into this.

I'm glad you saw the reply. :)

Easily. There's no affordable way to play most of them now and I have to plug in my Wii U to access most of them or pull out my 3DS and it's ass screen. I love fusion and zero mission but I don't play them anymore because I don't own the carts for them. There's a reason I mainly only replay super anymore

Yeah, it's that convenience factor that's so awesome with Nintendo Switch. I have all of the games, too, but would really like them on one device.

Yoshio Sakamoto is deadset on remaking these games with a different visual style, however he is unsure which of the following to go with. after he has planted a bomb inside your skull that will detonate of you do not choose, he asks you: Which one?

abdullah-durrani-metroid-print2-export.jpg

durrani19.artstation.com

Metroid mock up

Metroid mock up by Abdullah Durrani.

tumblr_nihqz2wE791soo5b1o1_1280.jpg

robinwouters.tumblr.com

Robin Wouters

A little fanart/experiment. I really wish Nintendo would make another 2D Metroid game.

6asgfpcv0y651.png

Three different, but very cool takes. I'm going with #2 before the bomb goes off!

I'm far, FAR more interested in a Prime trilogy on Switch. But still, hell yes. I will never not want Metroid.

I think that one is gonna happen, eventually. Hoping that Prime 1 gets a "remake" treatment within the trilogy compilation. Let us play it the classic way or with modern visuals. I'm ok with the others being in 1080p, 16x9.

So many satisfied heartbeats in this thread. Good to see!

That's a dope Samus figure in the OP

Thank you! I got it from First 4 Figures. One of my favorite statues.

Nope. It'd have to be $40 or less. Nintendo is basically the only company in the industry that can get away with charging top dollar for barebones implementations of their classic games. What I would pay top dollar for is the same collection done in the style of what Digital Eclipse does.

A new, optional art style to select would be sweet.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a dope Samus figure in the OP
OP's photo doesn't do it justice. That first 4 figures statue is even better in person. Took forever for f4f to release it because Nintendo asked for changes multiple times which caused delays. Ended up being totally worth the initial asking price though

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
In a heart beat, especially for a physical release.

Awesome Samus figure, too! I have a couple 4F4 statues, but my god they're not only expensive, but massive. I haven't had room to display my Link and Epona statue in years.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Personally I wouldn't, but that's because I still have my Wii U hooked up and my 3DS at the ready. I can easily play all 4 games as is.

If I didn't have them handy, though, I would definitely consider buying a collection. At $60 I would grumble but ultimately buy it anyway. I would want the original versions of 1 & 2 to be there, though, as I still prefer NES Metroid to Zero Mission.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Yeah, I probably would.

Metroid Zero Mission is fantastic.
I skipped Samus Returns, but apparently it's pretty good.
Super Metroid is a bit old and outdated compared to the GBA games.
Metroid Fusion is a quite good.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather Zero Mission and Fusion just arrive on NSO. But I'd pay full price for a visually updated Samus Returns so ...technically yes?

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
$60 is way too much if nothing has been done to them. Metroid and Super Metroid are already available on NSO.

Also, this collection really would have to include the original NES Metroid as well as Zero Mission, no matter how good the remake is.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Awesome Samus figure, too! I have a couple 4F4 statues, but my god they're not only expensive, but massive. I haven't had room to display my Link and Epona statue in years.
I know this pain too well. I have a few statues that I couldn't bring with me when I moved out because I had no space to display them. I ended up only bringing one statue with me :'(

$60 is way too much if nothing has been done to them. Metroid and Super Metroid are already available on NSO.

Also, this collection really would have to include the original NES Metroid as well as Zero Mission, no matter how good the remake is.
I would assume that if they did a $60 paid collection they would have better scaling, filters and save state support at this point, given that it is expected of collections these days

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Im gonna spend 49 euros on Dread (and would pay 60 euros, but nintendo games are always cheaper at release at a famous store here), and spent full price on the rest of the series. I dont mind being it a 2d game, is brand new, it looks amazing and theres was a lot of work put into it.

Huge fan of the series, but the practice of nintendo putting roms bearably touched in a card for a high price and limited time is fucking disgusting, when other companies are making remakes of trilogies of games for less money in better packs.

Im not saying the should completely remake zero mission, Samus returns, Super and Fusion. But at the bare minimum they should rework all this games so the pixelart look crisp in modern tvs, add 16:9 to Super Metroid and control retouched so it plays more like zero mission and fusion (theres already mods out there that do this for super), remaster the ost of zero mission and fusion, add better textures to samus returns so it looks nice at 1080p, all that jazz.
They should also add the movie theater of Other M (like kingdom heart packs do with non playable games), and the original game already had that option so its work already done.

That and i will pay 60 euros, and even more for a limited edition. Shit like the mario collection and it can stay far away from me.

OP
OP
PaulGaleNetwork
Dec 11, 2017
I'm planning to. Might take a while until I can find one, though.

I hope you snag one come launch!

OP's photo doesn't do it justice. That first 4 figures statue is even better in person. Took forever for f4f to release it because Nintendo asked for changes multiple times which caused delays. Ended up being totally worth the initial asking price though

Yeah it's a gorgeous statue! From when I pre-ordered it to its final arrival, was quite some time, but totally worth the wait in the end. Multiple changes had to take place, coloring work, more lights, etc. I love it though!

I ain't ever paying $60 for a few roms.

Samus Returns HD might make it worthwhile for a good amount of people.

But you'd pay $60 for
a speed racer 4K treatment

I'm sure some would!

lol

Actually I would not. :P

Not everyone will. Curious if Metroid Prime Trilogy HD is more attractive more most gamers.

Heck yeah and thanks regarding my Samus! I don't have a designated statue room, but rather have them in various places throughout my house. This way, it gives me more opportunities to see them throughout the day. None are in the kitchen though, haha. Yet? I know the Link on Epona one and it's great. (Don't have it, but do have Link on King of Red Lions). I hope you find a place to show it off!

have them be on the online service, if you want to sell me shit reamke them

Remakes of the originals would be awesome if handled right.

No.

Emulators exist.

That's true.

fuck nah 2d Metroid aren't real games

I think the 2D Metroid series has been consistently great over the years, especially when you add in the remakes, but everyone's different.

Personally I wouldn't, but that's because I still have my Wii U hooked up and my 3DS at the ready. I can easily play all 4 games as is.

If I didn't have them handy, though, I would definitely consider buying a collection. At $60 I would grumble but ultimately buy it anyway. I would want the original versions of 1 & 2 to be there, though, as I still prefer NES Metroid to Zero Mission.

Yeah, if all 6 were in there, 60 bucks would be quite nice. Good that you have the originals though!

$40 and including Return of Samus 3DS seems reasonable

I know what poll option you selected. Nice!

Yeah, I probably would.

Metroid Zero Mission is fantastic.
I skipped Samus Returns, but apparently it's pretty good.
Super Metroid is a bit old and outdated compared to the GBA games.
Metroid Fusion is a quite good.

Yeah, I think you'd enjoy Samus Returns if you like the others. Super Metroid with a few updates that don't change up the game in a bad way, but rather modernize the feel slightly (perhaps along with some crisped up visuals) would begreat.

I'd rather Zero Mission and Fusion just arrive on NSO. But I'd pay full price for a visually updated Samus Returns so ...technically yes?

I think that answers that, lol. Maybe...hopefully we get Zero Mission and Fusion on NSO this month.

That game is still full price lol
But I would pay $40 for Samus Returns remastered.

Yeah!

All 6 would be pretty sweet, especially with some minor updates and an art gallery thrown in.

I know this pain too well. I have a few statues that I couldn't bring with me when I moved out because I had no space to display them. I ended up only bringing one statue with me :'(

I would assume that if they did a $60 paid collection they would have better scaling, filters and save state support at this point, given that it is expected of collections these days

Stuff like an optional widescreen mode that still looks proper within the games' worlds, would be cool. Nice that you have a statue. What of?

Im gonna spend 49 euros on Dread (and would pay 60 euros, but nintendo games are always cheaper at release at a famous store here), and spent full price on the rest of the series. I dont mind being it a 2d game, is brand new, it looks amazing and theres was a lot of work put into it.

Huge fan of the series, but the practice of nintendo putting roms bearably touched in a card for a high price and limited time is fucking disgusting, when other companies are making remakes of trilogies of games for less money in better packs.

Im not saying the should completely remake zero mission, Samus returns, Super and Fusion. But at the bare minimum they should rework all this games so the pixelart look crisp in modern tvs, add 16:9 to Super Metroid and control retouched so it plays more like zero mission and fusion (theres already mods out there that do this for super), remaster the ost of zero mission and fusion, add better textures to samus returns so it looks nice at 1080p, all that jazz.
They should also add the movie theater of Other M (like kingdom heart packs do with non playable games), and the original game already had that option so its work already done.

That and i will pay 60 euros, and even more for a limited edition. Shit like the mario collection and it can stay far away from me.

You laid out just what I was getting at with this compilation! A crisp look that maximizes the pixel art, not tainting it, 16x9, etc. I'm not expecting a Crash Bandicoot Trilogy remake experience and cost, but some work done would be huge.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like an optional widescreen mode that still looks proper within the games' worlds, would be cool. Nice that you have a statue. What of?
1/6 scale: Wolverine, Spidey, Magneto
1/4 scale: Joker, Batman, Sagat, Ryu, Master Chief, Samus and Akuma. Akuma is the only one I ended up bringing when I moved. Rest are still at my parents place

OP
OP
PaulGaleNetwork
Dec 11, 2017
1/6 scale: Wolverine, Spidey, Magneto
1/4 scale: Joker, Batman, Sagat, Ryu, Master Chief, Samus and Akuma. Akuma is the only one I ended up bringing when I moved. Rest are still at my parents place

That's a cool lineup! You don't happen to have THIS Ryu, do you?

pmsfv-02_cropped.jpg

I have it pre-ordered from Prime 1 Studio and am pretty stoked. They also made an Akuma which compliments this statue. Pretty cool. I'm looking into getting a Superman: Hush statue as well. (There's an amazing Godzilla vs Kong one but it's quite large. Would be totally worth it though!)

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
I was so stressed out when i had to move a year ago that I straight up just donated a bunch of games including my pristine steelbook case copy of metroid prime trilogy. Not even on accident, a conscious choice. Now I'm pissed lol.

Just had to get that off my chest

OP
OP
PaulGaleNetwork
Dec 11, 2017
I was so stressed out when i had to move a year ago that I straight up just donated a bunch of games including my pristine steelbook case copy of metroid prime trilogy. Not even on accident, a conscious choice. Now I'm pissed lol.

Just had to get that off my chest

That stings! Hopefully you'll have a new opportunity to play the trilogy again on Nintendo Switch. 🤞

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Already own all the games physical, but I'm such a Metroid fan I'd buy it anyway for the collection.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
If anything they'd split out Samus Returns and sell an HD version at the full price. That's a modern game.