Oct 28, 2017
I was going to mention that this has been a Steam thing since forever, but the 20 pages probably means it's already been covered.

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
Put another way - nobody cared. Now with it being ABK / COD, everyone cares. And they care to a strong, vitriolic degree. To the point of ignoring how these boot screens look for the rest of the industry.
again, it's not that nobody cared
www.resetera.com

Is Starfield the most heavily marketed game on the Windows 10/11 login screen?

These are from my own hardware in the last 2-3 days (laptop, gaming pc, work pc). I'm starting to feel MS is targeting me personally on this one. Halo Infinite had some, but not as much as this I think? EDIT: Explanation

It's just that now I guess people are starting to notice the pattern.
This has nothing to do with the ABK deal

(The point of the link to that thread is to show that it didn't get much track cause it wasn't an issue because people opted out of getting targeted ads.)

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
It just reminds me more that my Xbox Home Screen looks like one of those discount Fire tablets they sell for dirt cheap on Black Friday. It's depressing but when most consumers are indifferent what can you do? 🤷‍♂️

Also that Switch example is completely different... They've always had the "press 3 buttons to wake" action, they just added a shortcut to the news tab on the side.
Lol

They got ya!

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
User warned: Backseat modding
I do not believe I am being "toxic" or "reductive". I believe I am treating this with the seriousness it deserves.
Oh so you're being toxic and reductive? Thanks for confirming.

You have a duty to the discussion to not derail it. So if you are not coming in with anything to add, even if you do not agree with the discussion, you are going against the rules of the forum by driveby posting in a way that distracts from the actual discussion.

Art_3

Banned
Aug 30, 2022
I don't get the mocking tone of "you just need to press one button".We need to stop giving these companies an inch.I remember a similar thing happening on PS4.

Last edited:

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless it says "download now for FREE" then this is parody levels funny

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I posted this yesterday, but I want to know is this only effecting US Xbox owners? Mine that I have in Canada has had no splash page even when Starfield or Forza released. The only thing I have is one of those smaller ads on the homepage for MWIII.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh so you're being toxic and reductive? Thanks for confirming.

You have a duty to the discussion to not derail it. So if you are not coming in with anything to add, even if you do not agree with the discussion, you are going against the rules of the forum by driveby posting in a way that distracts from the actual discussion.
Maybe you shouldn't be derailing the thread trying to get someone reported or banned over nothing. 🤷 Seems against the rules. Backseat modding. PM me if you have further concerns.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Maybe you shouldn't be derailing the thread trying to get someone reported or banned over nothing. 🤷 Seems against the rules. Backseat modding. PM me if you have further concerns.
I actually have something interesting to add to this discussion:

I think it's much deeper than that. It isn't happening in a vacuum.

The industry is at the unhealthiest point it's been in for a long time, devs are being laid off left and right, despite this companies are raking in record levels of revenue, corps are growing unsustainably to the detriment of everyone, Corporatism (including advertising) is being felt as becoming increasingly predatory, YouTube are now essentially barring you from their service for blocking their ads whilst also increasing the prices of their premium subscription, all at a time where people are financially at the worst point they've ever been in.

Meanwhile Microsoft has just bought ABK for an utterly obscene amount of money and immediately:
  • Removed GP perks for wider MS employees
  • Raised Activision title prices on Steam
  • Immediately implemented a 2 week lockout on 3rd party platform accessories
  • Slapped uninterested people with a full-page ad for an "OO-RAH" war glorification game
I think it's very much a reaction to the increased enshitification of our online experience at a time of financial and emotional turmoil and people like me are just kinda fucking over it all.

Ignoring you now.

renoch

Jan 16, 2019
I posted this yesterday, but I want to know is this only effecting US Xbox owners? Mine that I have in Canada has had no splash page even when Starfield or Forza released. The only thing I have is one of those smaller ads on the homepage for MWIII.

I'm in UK and got this one, don't believe I had one for Starfield or Forza though 🤔

Oct 27, 2017
I actually have something interesting to add to this discussion:

Ignoring you now.
Just because I don't believe this is at all a serious issue and my opinion differs from yours does NOT mean my opinion is invalid or uninteresting, thank you very much. Please don't try and police my opinions.

"Ignoring you now"
I'm not the one that started this conversation. Lol.

Apr 12, 2021
Man, the 'LOL I can close out of the ad so fast' responses are killing me. I have never seen such blatant defensiveness for a damn advertisement of all things.

TimotheusNL

Jun 9, 2023
To be fair, no one actually said people can't criticize this move though. This is a forum for discussions of all things… what many are saying is this is really not that big of a deal.. we live in a world of ads everywhere..

No I don't. I have Youtube premium. No ads. I have Spotify premium. No ads. I subscribe to patreons of my favorite creators for podcasts. No ads. I watch local TV shows on demand. No ads. My PS5 is located in the EU so the dash has no ads. All my browsers are adblocked (aside from exception for RE). No ads.

I feel ads are a blight and if I have to pay a bit more to avoid them, I will. Windows throwing ads in the OS means that I will likely stick with MacOS. I will never buy a Samsung TV because the menu has the occasional ad. I despise the mere idea of 'owning' your 2000+$ OLED for it to pop a goddamn ad in your face in the menu bar every day. I mean, how much can you piss in your customer's faces with that kind of move.

So yeah, I don't live in a world of ads, at all. And I will be against their implementation regardless of where they appear. Especially when you're already paying a boatload for a product.
Ads aren't usually a big deal, right until they are. And knowing Microsoft, they are already planning how they can further hire out your owned products for more marketing space. They should do better for their paying customers.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
I wanna know too! I'm in the US I haven't seen these on ANY of my Xbox console checked again this morning, nothing. I'm wondering people seeing this do you have Xbox gamepass in any form ? Old live or GPU ? Or no sub? I have GPU have always had Xbox paid service going on 17 + years .

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's much deeper than that. It isn't happening in a vacuum.

The industry is at the unhealthiest point it's been in for a long time, devs are being laid off left and right, despite this companies are raking in record levels of revenue, corps are growing unsustainably to the detriment of everyone, Corporatism (including advertising) is being felt as becoming increasingly predatory, YouTube are now essentially barring you from their service for blocking their ads whilst also increasing the prices of their premium subscription, all at a time where people are financially at the worst point they've ever been in.

Meanwhile Microsoft has just bought ABK for an utterly obscene amount of money and immediately:
  • Removed GP perks for wider MS employees
  • Raised Activision title prices on Steam
  • Immediately implemented a 2 week lockout on 3rd party platform accessories
  • Slapped uninterested people with a full-page ad for an "OO-RAH" war glorification game
I think it's very much a reaction to the increased enshitification of our online experience at a time of financial and emotional turmoil and people like me are just kinda fucking over it all.
Also add recently taking away almost all dashboard customization in favor of like 12 rows of essentially unwanted/unremovable ads on the console home page below the main screen.

Oct 27, 2017
I wanna know too! I'm in the US I haven't seen these on ANY of my Xbox console checked again this morning, nothing. I'm wondering people seeing this do you have Xbox gamepass in any form ? Old live or GPU ? Or no sub? I have GPU have always had Xbox paid service going on 17 + years .
Series X
Skip ahead alpha dash
GPU
Been an ongoing member forever.
Only got the COD one

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Also add recently taking away almost all dashboard customization in favor of like 12 rows of essentially unwanted/unremovable ads on the console home page below the main screen.
👆

Thank you. The moment you pay for the box, you should have the right to not be advertised to, especially as we more and more understand the psychological subversion that advertising continues to play on us.

Personally I also think that people should have a general legal right to not be advertised to. But that's a bit more radical, I understand.

Last edited:

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
This is what gives me pause. How quickly consumers normalize advertisements. We seriously have people chiding others for not wanting to be advertised to. Unreal.
The issue with this outrage is where are all the outrages about ads appearing on all other devices or consoles as we speak??

This seem blown out of proportion to epic levels..

this ain't the first time there are ads in these devices…

Many posters act like ads are new things. It's not. This is life now. We got ads right here on resetera.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Sure. It's just "news" on the switch that happens to be advertising games. Completely different and really helpful. Thank you Nintendo!

Come on. It's the same exact thing. In fact, it's worse because it's there every time instead of just once when a new game is released.

And to be clear, I honestly think that either one is fine. But to say one ad is awful and the other ad is "a shortcut to news" is hilarious.

Shrug. There may be advertisements in there, but I've also been notified of free dlc for games I own, or a direct I missed while at work. It seems less insidious than a prompt to directly buy a game when I open the console. But you do you.

Nov 19, 2019
The issue with this outrage is where are all the outrages about ads appearing on all other devices or consoles as we speak??

what equivalent ads are you referencing? what platforms, what was being advertised, and when?

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
what equivalent ads are you referencing? what platforms, what was being advertised, and when?
Exactly

Again, steam and windows have the option to turn it off, PlayStation is when you hover over the store tab
And Nintendo has a lock screen with a sidebar for news/blogs and ads

And there was discussions for previous time, like the Starfield on windows that it didn't became an issue because most windows users turn ads off but it was still talked about.
Lol too funny. I'm out
could've at least provided an example

May 29, 2023

Many posters act like ads are new things. It's not. This is life now. We got ads right here on resetera.
Perhaps it has to do with it being a gaming site. It's also an advertisement for a war simulator. Not appropriate right now. You're free to discuss consumer rights with me any time. I'm staunchly opposed to advertisements.

Just because it isn't the first doesn't mean it's not worth discussing. Like I said, this is a gaming forum. We should meet people where they are at and engage in good faith. Also, the rebuttal you offered essentially tells people not to be critical now because they haven't been critical in the past. It's a conversation ended. It also proves how dreadfully normalized advertising has become that we ridicule those critical of it and fall back into "that's just the way it is".

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda want to see this more but with lesser known titles, or even games that are on my wishlist that are on sale (gladly take that over the notification approach they have now). Like CoD doesn't really need much of a boost, it's like air in the gaming space, it's already everywhere.

alexjimithing

Aug 20, 2019
It's also an advertisement for a war simulator. Not appropriate right now.

OK, no. CoD is not a 'war simulator' and conceptually I'm offended at the idea that a company should not advertise/sell a given product because of what an individual may or may not see as 'appropriate' based on world events. It is entirely within your rights to purchase or not purchase something. It is entirely not within your rights to limit what media other people may or may not be exposed to based on your personal judgment of 'appropriateness'.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
OK, no. CoD is not a 'war simulator' and conceptually I'm offended at the idea that a company should not advertise/sell a given product because of what an individual may or may not see as 'appropriate' based on world events. It is entirely within your rights to purchase or not purchase something. It is entirely not within your rights to limit what media other people may or may not be exposed to based on your personal judgment of 'appropriateness'.
COD has pretty much become a sort of adult Fortnite, where Cats, Skeletor and Nicki Minaj run and gun. (Which I find great btw)

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I missed this post but its a good one.

Another factor I'd add is Xbox saying ABK games aren't coming to gamepass for years, but not wasting any time to start doing this.

It feels like an open hoodwink on some level.
And in it I didn't even think to mention that this OO-RAH war game is being full-page advertised at a time where an entire people are being bombed like fish in a barrel, all whilst the rest of the world gawk on and, generally speaking, the people don't seem to see eye-to-eye with the justifications being made by most of the Western Governments.

I'll avoid getting too political in this particular thread about that matter but fucking yikes.