• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cybertruck will

• Bomba

• Sell some for sure

• Sell ok I guess

• Sell more than we expect

• Sell like gangbusters

• Cyberfrunk 2: The Bulletproof World

Results are only viewable after voting.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Tesla is weird in that despite their price and notoriety they aren't and have never been a 'premium' car brand. You pay luxury car prices because of the features not the actual build and interior you'd get from a high end brand.

They're priced as premium but I've never perceived them as premium. Build quality on all Tesla's have been subpar and the Cybertruck is just that but worse.
That's really unfortunate. Isn't (or maybe wasn't) the Model S Plaid going for $140K? I can't imagine paying that kind of money for a poorly made car. I've never owned a Tesla but those I've been in seemed really pleasant to ride. Not luxurious maybe but they didn't feel cheap either. I don't think that videos of the interior of the Cybertruck look bad either but something about that exterior needed more time in the oven. Maybe if most of the body was stamped from a single sheet of stainless steel so you don't have all of those odd corners and gaps? I don't know if that was feasible but the choice to put the truck together the way they have is a bad one imo.
Jesus. Massive indictment of Tesla's designers that they could see this problem.
The same can be said about the wheel covers cutting into the tires. How did these issues make it out of engineering and then again out of Q&A?

beat

Oct 28, 2017
One could argue that Tesla stock high already had an F150 competitor already priced in.
More precisely, the stock high wasn't pricing in an F150 competitor, it was pricing in the deeply stupid robotaxi fantasy, and specifically one where not only are robotaxis possible but only Tesla would have solved autonomous driving, thus ensuring they could charge 70% gross margin on the robotaxi business.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
More precisely, the stock high wasn't pricing in an F150 competitor, it was pricing in the deeply stupid robotaxi fantasy, and specifically one where not only are robotaxis possible but only Tesla would have solved autonomous driving, thus ensuring they could charge 70% gross margin on the robotaxi business.

Right. Tesla's valuation was absurdly high (and honestly still is) and only even possibly makes sense if you believe in a scenario where they and they alone will have cracked autonomous driving and will be able to offer that as a service to every other automaker, use it for their own robotaxi fleet that kills Lyft and Uber, etc.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Musky said that FSD would be worth $100,000/car when it's fully implemented. (I'll be damned if I'm looking through Twitter for citation.) Also, I will have shares available in BuyThisBridgeLLC coming up for sale, soon!

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Tesla is weird in that despite their price and notoriety they aren't and have never been a 'premium' car brand. You pay luxury car prices because of the features not the actual build and interior you'd get from a high end brand.
you don't pay luxury car prices for a Model 3/Y, they are even cheaper than most of their competitors.
They're priced as premium but I've never perceived them as premium. Build quality on all Tesla's have been subpar and the Cybertruck is just that but worse.
I know Model S, X and CT obviously have their problems, but our Model Y is perfectly fine and the interior is very nice. If you like the minimalistic approach, of course. If you are looking for nappa leather seats with special stitching and 1 million colors to choose from, a Tesla won't be a car for you, though.
Right. The base pricing of the Model Y lines up with the base pricing of, say, the VW ID.4, or the Hyundai Ioniq 5, or the Kia Niro EV or Kia EV6. (The Model Y is actually the cheapest of all those models, in fact.) Their pricing was premium at first because EVs were expensive at first but they're clearly not really playing in the same space as, say, Porsche. They seem to be having trouble moving their more expensive cars.
Cars are fucking expensive in general.

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
I saw one out in the wild for the first time the other day. As weird as it looks in pictures it doesn't compare to seeing it surrounded by normal cars at a busy intersection. Didn't actually look as big as I expected it to relative to other cars but I wasn't that close to it

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I saw one in Houston this weekend and it's fuglier than pictures make it seem. The side panels were visibly two different colors which made the whole truck look cheap and unfinished. I actually took a picture because I couldn't believe someone would pay that much for a truck with very clear visual defects.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw a Cybertruck in the road on Jersey. Its an ugly car and it didn't help that the guy driving it was acting like a raging asshole for the short time I was near his vehicle.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I saw one in Houston this weekend and it's fuglier than pictures make it seem. The side panels were visibly two different colors which made the whole truck look cheap and unfinished. I actually took a picture because I couldn't believe someone would pay that much for a truck with very clear visual defects.

There's one that is often parked at the outer edge of my neighborhood for the past couple of weeks. The door panels looking different is really apparent, and that one seems to really collect dirt around the seam between those panels. Like the entire height of the doors and 6" from the seam was just covered in more dirt than the rest of the vehicle. The last time I saw it, it looked like the dirt was gone but it was a smeary mess in the part where the dirt was. Either it's really hard to clean or spot clean the stainless or the people did a bad job. Either way it doesn't look any better.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I've never seen one in the wild until this weekend. Fremont, California of all places and I saw 4 of them. Two were driving on 880, one near the Mowry exit and the 4th was parked in a driveway. I was expecting them to be much larger. To me they look tiny.

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Saw one yesterday in Florida. It's like witnessing a awful car crash and I've seen some awful crashes and even an SUV on fire

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a black one this weekend in LA (the valley). It doesn't look as garish and "look at me!" as the steel one I saw, but that also focused more attention on just how bad the design itself is and how it looks like one of the car designers was given a drawing by their five year-old and then just built that.

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
They practically had no competition. But Model 3/Y have always been very good at pricing compared to other EVs of that class, imo

They're always in line, sure. But the original comment wasn't about value, it was about the *perception* Tesla has carried.

The were expensive cars which, like you said, almost no competition. The only vehicles in their price range were Mercedes / BMW / Porsche, etc. They were owned by wealthy people and were a status symbol.

So people's perception of Tesla has, for years, been that they are expensive cars and people equate expensive cars to luxury cars. Ergo people thought of them as luxury vehicles when they have never been.

In the meantime they have more competition, they've lowered prices, all other cars have gotten more expensive and they are now pretty firmly in the median for their main sellers (3 and Y). But people still think of it as a premium brand and are then surprised when they get in one and find them kind of plasticy and cheap feeling.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
so do you also have to turn it on when it's raining outside or when your driving through puddles? or is there a rain mode and puddle mode?

On a more serious note, from the comments of the article :

" Car wash mode just closes all windows, locks the charge port, and disables windshield wipers, Sentry Mode, walk-away door locking, and parking sensor chimes. "

seems fair. But it doesnt explain why the car os just crashed.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Don't wash it in the sun?
Is it a gremlin, what happens if you fuel it after midnight.
I'm going to guess that you can't wash it in the sun because the stainless steel will warp if you get it wet while it's been baking in the sun.

Well, either that or it will sear your skin right off if you get too close to it after sitting in the sun 🤷🏾‍♂️

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
cybertruck-f150-wrap-in-pics-v0-f29l6s1s28eb1.jpg

The wrap makes it look like a low poly model

beat

Oct 28, 2017
While it is of course funny that any car has such dire limitations on how and when it can get wet, it is far funnier for one that the CEO said "can serve briefly as a boat".

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to guess that you can't wash it in the sun because the stainless steel will warp if you get it wet while it's been baking in the sun.

Well, either that or it will sear your skin right off if you get too close to it after sitting in the sun 🤷🏾‍♂️
So what happens in a day where it started to light rain and suddenly the sun comes back? Does the truck melt?

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
There were prototype Cybertrucks going around in F-150 wraps, iirc it was Elon being weird about something the CEO of Ford said.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I love that on top of being a profoundly repulsive design, they've also engineered and built them so poorly that they've had to stop selling them.

Guess they can't do an "OTA Update" to prevent the accelerator pedal from just sliding off and getting wedged in the footwell.