• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cybertruck will

• Bomba

• Sell some for sure

• Sell ok I guess

• Sell more than we expect

• Sell like gangbusters

• Cyberfrunk 2: The Bulletproof World

Results are only viewable after voting.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
That's a real big shouldn't. Yeah if you're attentive in your vehicle you probably will naturally slam the break, but people use one pedal drive, or don't pay attention, or generally just panic in situations. That's deadly ass design flaw/error
But I keep hearing how amazing one-pedal driving is and how rarely EV drivers need to use the brake?
No clue I drive manual. Just don't expect to read anyone actually getting into an accident because of it.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Just don't expect to read anyone actually getting into an accident because of it.
Well they won't now there's been a recall, but without a recall there absolutely could be accidents if the accelerator gets stuck in a vehicle where you do the majority of your braking by taking your foot off the accelerator rather than pressing the brake. Not hard to see why the second or two it'll take you realise that engine braking isn't kicking in so you need to press the brake would contribute to your chances of a collision.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In my head, the most likely reason someone would encounter the issue is that they're trying to pass someone on a highway or ramp up speed getting onto a highway as the accelerator has to be pushed down hard enough with the loosened plate to get wedged under the board.

That would easily be one of the most dangerous spots for an accelerator to get stuck. Even suddenly braking in that scenario is dangerous to the driver and others.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
I read about one-pedal driving. And it sounds like a case where sometime driving experience, convenience and hardware life should be sacrificed for traditional dogshit jerky and sometime abrupt braking. But hell do i know, i have never tried it. May be after adjustment it's safer.

Last edited:

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I read about one-pedal driving. And it sounds like a case where sometime driving experience, convenience and hardware life should be sacrificed for traditional dogshit jerky and sometime abrupt braking. But hell do i know, i have never tried it. May be after adjustment it's safer.
One pedal driving is great but it's definitely subjective. My wife hates it for example and her profile doesn't use it.

That said this is a hazard whether you use it or not, it's just MORE of an issue if you're used to one pedal

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
one-pedal driving was good and i dont think this issue has really related to that.

there are examples where if the car isn't behaving as expected, the driver goes into a panic mode and doesn't really know what they're doing with their feet anymore. sometimes they think they're on the brake when they're on the gas pedal still

the last thing you want to do in a panic scenario is add an unknown factor, like the pedal getting stuck. i wouldn't ever blame the driver for not doing the correct thing in that situation.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
One pedal driving is great but it's definitely subjective. My wife hates it for example and her profile doesn't use it.

That said this is a hazard whether you use it or not, it's just MORE of an issue if you're used to one pedal
I don't see how though, the brakes are still there and usable. It's not much different than having a high-compression engine with a manual transmission.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how though, the brakes are still there and usable. It's not much different than having a high-compression engine with a manual transmission.
Because you have to actually process that the pedal is stuck and you need to brake.

No, for most people that's not a long process, but as I said before half a second of gas when you wanted to brake is way too much.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Are people dismissing this issue purposely ignoring the differences between say, a regular run of the mill ICE car and how it would act with a stuck throttle and this thing which weighs many tonnes but also will get up to 60mph in a matter of seconds? A stuck throttle is way, way more dangerous for one of these because of how quickly it'll lunge forward.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Too many people excusing flaws like these because 'it happens to other manufacturers too, it's no big deal really...everyone is always 100% level headed and calm at all times, no way a person could panic if a pedal gets stuck'. It's bizarre. These companies need to be held to higher standards in general when they're manufacturing large, weighty hunks of metal that kill a lot of people annually, not have excuses made for them.
Yes, they're complicated machines, yes this shit is cutting edge tech, all the more reason to demand better from billionaire heads of these companies. They've done the right thing with the recall, no doubt it's another black eye in a series of them that they can't afford to keep happening, but at least they've done what needs to be done. They now need to take some more time and perform additional testing while they're dealing with this issue. Proactive is better than reactive here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Tesla Cybertruck Breaks In New, Innovative Way

View: https://twitter.com/CristinaIBalan/status/1782119431063105577?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1782119433651048484%7Ctwgr%5Ecf6fae362b2cbcf4003fba7f323b6b97e4b31b5a%7Ctwcon%5Es2_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fjalopnik.com%2Fembed%2Finset%2Fiframe%3Fid%3Dtwitter-1782119433651048484autosize%3D1
Things aren't going well at Tesla. The stock is currently down more than 40 percent year-to-date, analysts expect the Texas-based automaker to announce a 40 percent drop in profits, more than 20,000 people are expected to lose their jobs, and Tesla's flagship product, the Cybertruck, is already on its second recall, this time for an accelerator pedal cover that comes off and could cause unintended acceleration. Now, it appears that one owner's windshield-mounted gear selector panel has fallen off
If you're not familiar, Tesla really wants you to put your car in Drive or Park using the touchscreen. Since touchscreens can crash, though, you need a second way to get your car into gear. So Tesla put a panel in the middle of the windshield that allows you to put it in Drive yourself. The sun visors also attach to the same panel when in use.
Since sun visors get so much use, and moving them puts strain on whatever they're mounted to, you'd assume Tesla would have done enough durability testing to make sure the plastic could stand up to repeated use. Apparently, you'd also be wrong.
a Tesla Cybertruck owner who took his incEl Camino in for a windshield replacement and the accelerator pedal cover rivet. After the repairs were completed, he reportedly had the windshield panel fall off and refuse to clip back in.
jalopnik.com

Tesla Cybertruck Breaks In New, Innovative Way

It seems like every time Tesla addresses one issue, another pops up.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Jesus christ this is becoming more true by the day.
l0qQ4D.gif

Also incEl Camino is pure lol

Last edited:

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
You have to reach up and touch a haptic button to switch from park or drive and reverse? I'm just constantly shocked at how badly designed this is.

Paladyn

Mar 18, 2024
Of course it will sell. Just look at Apple. Musk has enough sycophants that will eat every piece of shit he feeds them.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Every new thing I see wrong with this truck makes this truck look like the cheapest consumer car constructed in years

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Did the f-150 lightning come out the same time I would to know what typical car has sold compared to this mess in that amount of time

4,000 Cybertrucks sold: Recall offers glimpse at Tesla's rank in rocky electric truck market

The 3,878 Cybertrucks covered by the recall represent all of the vehicle deliveries completed by the company since the rollout of the long-awaited truck in late November.
In July 2023, an unofficial reservation tracker suggested that around 1.9 million reservations were in place at the time,
Earlier this month, Ford reported that it had sold 7,743 of its F-150 Lightning electric trucks in the U.S. in the first quarter of 2024.
General Motors reported that it sold 1,688 Hummer EVs domestically
Rivian, which sells a truck and an SUV, reported that it delivered 13,588 vehicles

www.usatoday.com

4,000 Cybertrucks sold: Recall offers glimpse at Tesla's rank in rocky electric truck market

The Cybertruck recall offered analysts an opportunity to see how Elon Musk's pet project is faring in the electric truck market. See how it stacks up.

Last edited:

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017

www.usatoday.com

The Cybertruck recall offered analysts an opportunity to see how Elon Musk's pet project is faring in the electric truck market. See how it stacks up.
Elon is like those influencers who release some beauty/fashion product then get shocked when they get almost no sales despite having millions of followers.
And I'm guessing that developing and producing a Cypertruck costs a bit more than slapping your label on some generic hair conditioner.

Using a single touchscreen swipe to select the direction that 1400 Nm of torque will propel 3 tons of steel is... yikes.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
That "dual" shifting mechanism is the same used in the Model 3 refresh and that car has, in general, been extremely well received.

There's plenty to beat on in the Cybertruck but that feature is IMO polarizing but hardly defective or Cybertuck specific.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Cybertruck sales number is probably more related to production issues and it being hard to ramp up than anything else so far. Yes, there are likely to be significant cancellations, but that is normal when the preorders were years ago for a product with different specifications and price. As long as there are no significant signs that they are overproducing the vehicle, i wouldnt focus so much in the sales.
But like, the production issues is a bad sign for Tesla, but it isn't catastrophic.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I genuinely laugh when I see a Tesla on the road nowadays. Don't think I can recall a brand tanking quite as much in terms of reputation and image quite like Tesla over the last few years.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I genuinely laugh when I see a Tesla on the road nowadays. Don't think I can recall a brand tanking quite as much in terms of reputation and image quite like Tesla over the last few years.
I wish I could laugh. Every time a Tesla is driving in front of or behind me I'm getting the fuck out there, 'cause I expect their driver to be a complete idiot and the autopilot to intentionally just sway and crash into traffic and/or me.

(And no I'm not joking, I honestly am terrified driving near one)

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it will sell. Just look at Apple. Musk has enough sycophants that will eat every piece of shit he feeds them.
Is this your current line of thinking, because you haven't kept up with any news whatsoever, or is this a parody of what was widely being said months ago? This thing isn't sniffing at Vision Pro numbers.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017

This is stupid. Say for instance you're stuck and have to rock back and forth to get out, that means you're constantly swiping a screen? Or even better, putting your arm in a stressed position by having to push an overhead button? Is this on all their cars? I also just learned that some cars have a behind the wheel info cluster vs not having one, meaning you have to divert your eyes to the side vs keeping them to the front. Why?

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
This is stupid. Say for instance you're stuck and have to rock back and forth to get out, that means you're constantly swiping a screen? Or even better, putting your arm in a stressed position by having to push an overhead button? Is this on all their cars? I also just learned that some cars have a behind the wheel info cluster vs not having one, meaning you have to divert your eyes to the side vs keeping them to the front. Why?
$$$

The answer with anything Musk-related is always $$$.

He doesn't even want to pay his kids child maintenance.

syphonblue

Apr 29, 2022
That "dual" shifting mechanism is the same used in the Model 3 refresh and that car has, in general, been extremely well received.

There's plenty to beat on in the Cybertruck but that feature is IMO polarizing but hardly defective or Cybertuck specific.
That shifting mechanism is trash and shouldn't be allowed on the road

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
People shouldn't complain too much, Musk initially wanted no way for the driver to chose the gear, the AI should be able to determine it based on context.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around having the gear shift be, not just touch-buttons, but touch-buttons on the ceiling. WTF?