• Sell some for sure

• Sell ok I guess

• Sell more than we expect

• Sell like gangbusters

• Cyberfrunk 2: The Bulletproof World

Results are only viewable after voting.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Been seeing one in the work parking lot. A bit longer than I expected but not as tall/wide.

I expected it to look huge like the Hummer EV.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
Saw one in public and seeing pictures doesn't really prepare you on how awkwardly proportioned it is

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
I actually put in a reservation for one but I was way, way late (reserved December of last year for the dual motor). At this point I'm probably at least 1.5 years away before even being assigned a VIN. I'm still mulling over if I'll keep the reservation when it comes time to order since up until that point the reservation is refundable. Curious to see what "improvements" a year or two into production will bring.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I was eating dinner outside of a restaurant with my mother over the weekend when a Cybertruck pulled up right in front of the place. The owner got out of the car to go inside to the bar but it was constant comments from everyone siting out there about how weird and ugly it looked. I kind of wished I could have witnessed the owners reaction because there wasn't a kind comment the entire time we were there. It was better entertainment than having a live band.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
Not here to comment on the obvious poor build quality or all the other problems, am in California and I drive quite alot, and on freeways. I would say I see 4 or 5 each time I make a trip somewhere so there are definitely a fair few knocking around. On the freeway they just look like the pictures, and I am sure the performance is good., but in parking lots they look very wide and awkward to park. I drive a fairly large truck and even compared to that these look like a nightmare in tight situations. I cant imagine with its low clearance it would do great offroad, and the bed size looks too small to be that useful for putting something like a dirtbike in the back. Likewise with the sloping sides that would make it hard to put objects over the side edges. I guess its towing capacity is probably good but all in all if you actually need a truck that has good utility it looks like a massive pain in the ass and not that useful for most things. Maybe if you had solar at home, or could charge easily at work and were doing alot of local jobs close by with a short range so you dont have to wait at charging stations for ages, and are moving smaller construction materials or tools around it could work out better than a regular truck.... but honestly, personally Id rather spend less money on an old beater truck for that sort of stuff

Last edited:

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Old article, but interesting.

A Leaked Tesla Report Shows the Cybertruck Had Basic Design Flaws

The report, dated January 25, 2022, which WIRED has examined, shows that the preproduction "alpha" version of the Cybertruck was still struggling with some basic problems with its suspension, body sealing, noise levels, handling. and braking.
my first reaction is I am astounded. These are classic mechanical automotive engineering challenges that you have in pretty much any vehicle. I'm blown away that they would be struggling so much with the basics."
The internal dynamics and NVH—noise, vibration and harshness—report leaked to Handelsblatt contains test results measuring the performance of the alpha version of the Cybertruck against projections made using computer-aided design (CAD) simulations, and against internal benchmarks. In summary, it presents a picture of a prototype vehicle that's leaky, noisy, and has poor handling and braking.
Braking performance was one of the worst areas of the report. Tesla's engineers were aiming for a score of 7, or "fair," on the Society of Automotive Engineers rating scale, but the alpha version achieved only a 4, or "poor" rating.

www.wired.com

A Leaked Tesla Report Shows the Cybertruck Had Basic Design Flaws

The “alpha” version of the EV company’s first pickup had problems with braking, handling, noise, and leaks, according to an internal presentation.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I just saw one of these at Costco finally, and I have to say, they are even uglier in-person than just looking at images of them.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
Saw three of these in Austin, including one of the ones with 'CYBERTRUCK' spraypainted all over it in shitty looking 'graffiti.' Generally hideous with noticeable discrepancies in trim and panel quality.

These losers want a dystopian like Evangelicals want rapture lol

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Why are hundreds of Teslas parked outside a dying shopping mall?

66436cc6f27898f532d75afa

The Teslas, including Cybertrucks, parked outside of the Chesterfield, Missouri, shopping spot puzzled people passing by, especially as the number of EVs seemed to increase over time.
According to the report, Tesla is storing unsold vehicles at the mall until it shuts down.
Tesla has a dealership about 2.5 miles away from Chesterfield Mall. Staenberg said 300 to 400 Teslas are stored in the parking lot.
Cox Automotive previously said in August 2023, there were nearly twice as many EVs as gas cars sitting at dealer lots.

Around the same time, more EVs were being produced than ever before, forcing dealers to turn them down because inventory was piling up.

www.businessinsider.com

Why are hundreds of Teslas parked outside a dying shopping mall? A local news station solved the mystery.

Tesla has been storing hundreds of its EVs outside a Missouri Mall that's scheduled to shut down in October.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017

Why are hundreds of Teslas parked outside a dying shopping mall?

66436cc6f27898f532d75afa

www.businessinsider.com

Why are hundreds of Teslas parked outside a dying shopping mall? A local news station solved the mystery.

Tesla has been storing hundreds of its EVs outside a Missouri Mall that's scheduled to shut down in October.
That's pretty common and I don't think it's an "lol Tesla's doomed" thing. A dying mall near me was full of cars from various manufacturers when I was there a few months ago

Oct 31, 2017
Not here to comment on the obvious poor build quality or all the other problems, am in California and I drive quite alot, and on freeways. I would say I see 4 or 5 each time I make a trip somewhere so there are definitely a fair few knocking around. On the freeway they just look like the pictures, and I am sure the performance is good., but in parking lots they look very wide and awkward to park. I drive a fairly large truck and even compared to that these look like a nightmare in tight situations. I cant imagine with its low clearance it would do great offroad, and the bed size looks too small to be that useful for putting something like a dirtbike in the back. Likewise with the sloping sides that would make it hard to put objects over the side edges. I guess its towing capacity is probably good but all in all if you actually need a truck that has good utility it looks like a massive pain in the ass and not that useful for most things. Maybe if you had solar at home, or could charge easily at work and were doing alot of local jobs close by with a short range so you dont have to wait at charging stations for ages, and are moving smaller construction materials or tools around it could work out better than a regular truck.... but honestly, personally Id rather spend less money on an old beater truck for that sort of stuff

It has 4 wheel steering, giving it the turning radius of a much smaller vehicle. It has adjustable air suspension with 12" of travel. It has a 6' bed, which is 6" longer than the F150 Lightning's bed and 18" longer than the Rivian R1T's.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I actually saw one live while on my way to the airport yesterday.

Then that hurricane category 1 like storm came through (in Houston) so not sure what happened to it afterwards lol.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
The only reason why Tesla's supercharger network was good is because Elon wasn't involved with it. It's universally admired and praised....HAH!

finance.yahoo.com

The inside story of Elon Musk’s mass firings of Tesla Supercharger staff

Insiders tell the story of the firings that have upended a network widely viewed as a signature Tesla achievement and a key driver of its EV sales.
Yeah, that tracks.

I always wonder what the dynamic at SpaceX is like with his random big stupid idea pitching vs Shotwell's actual management. He feels like an inept Eye of Sauron, scanning across the businesses he controls and whichever one catches his attention gets turned to shit.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
I was eating dinner outside of a restaurant with my mother over the weekend when a Cybertruck pulled up right in front of the place. The owner got out of the car to go inside to the bar but it was constant comments from everyone siting out there about how weird and ugly it looked. I kind of wished I could have witnessed the owners reaction because there wasn't a kind comment the entire time we were there. It was better entertainment than having a live band.
e9rsyqompw0d1.jpeg

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Yeah, that tracks.

I always wonder what the dynamic at SpaceX is like with his random big stupid idea pitching vs Shotwell's actual management. He feels like an inept Eye of Sauron, scanning across the businesses he controls and whichever one catches his attention gets turned to shit.

Elon Musk told SpaceX workers not to wear safety clothes because he doesn't like bright colors

Four SpaceX workers told Reuters that Musk discouraged employees from wearing yellow-colored clothes for safety purposes because he does not like bright colors.
The employees also told the news outlet that Musk would play around with a novelty flamethrower during visits that the billionaire made to SpaceX sites.
Three former SpaceX supervisors told Reuters that Musk would have machinery painted in industrial safety yellow repainted to black or blue because of he didn't like how it looked. The ex-supervisors also said that some workers were told not to wear yellow safety vests when Musk was on site.
The investigation by Reuters found that SpaceX has had at least 600 previously unreported worker injuries since 2014, including eight accidents that led to amputations.
www.businessinsider.com

Elon Musk told SpaceX workers not to wear safety clothes because he doesn't like bright colors

Hundreds of SpaceX employees have been hurt in workplace accidents, including eight incidents that led to amputations, a Reuters investigation found.

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I drive past almost every day that's often parked outside. Today I happened to walk by it. For weeks it's had this surface rust alone the sides of the door panels. They very obviously attempted to scrub it off at least once because the affected areas were all smeary. It looked much worse walking by slowly.

Titantodd

May 3, 2023

www.businessinsider.com

Hundreds of SpaceX employees have been hurt in workplace accidents, including eight incidents that led to amputations, a Reuters investigation found.

I feel like I've read something like this before. Wasn't there an issue with him banning bright hazard tape around edges, drops and potentially dangerous areas to stand in his factories for largely the same reason?

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Like, this thing is ugly, but the stainless steel raw look makes it look so much worse. I don't hate it in a black wrap.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
We had a guy who brought his Cybertruck into work for a few days. He was offering everyone "free rides". He did not anticipate getting roasted by everyone, even executives. Haven't seen it since.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Yeah, that tracks.

I (very briefly) worked under a guy named Oscar Moncada, he was like VP of IT for Tesla for a while (look him up on LinkedIn). One of the things I'll always remember about him saying about why he left Tesla was him explaining that Musk will sometimes ask for something near-impossible, from a technical standpoint, regulatory, whatever. And what you had to end up doing was to have your teams build it the best way they can, then go back and convince Musk that was how he wanted it all along.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
We had a guy who brought his Cybertruck into work for a few days. He was offering everyone "free rides". He did not anticipate getting roasted by everyone, even executives. Haven't seen it since.

did they accept the free ride and roast it the entire duration of the ride though?

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
I drive past almost every day that's often parked outside. Today I happened to walk by it. For weeks it's had this surface rust alone the sides of the door panels. They very obviously attempted to scrub it off at least once because the affected areas were all smeary. It looked much worse walking by slowly.

scrubbing raw stainless steel panel is going to leave it with visible scratches lol

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, driving any Tesla is a highly embarrassing self-own at this point. Stepping out of a Cyber Truck must be fucking mortifying.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
Elon is gonna cripple Tesla so bad whether he gets his pay package or not. You really can't save people from themselves.

He's gonna dip and leave investors with the bag.

Last edited:

froday

Jul 29, 2018
I feel like people only buy the cybertruck because they are Elon Stans. I kinda feel like thats 50% of the reason cybertruck owners are getting made fun of so much. The other 50% is that its the dumbest truck ever.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
He's gonna dip and leave investors with the bag.
It's such a messed up situation. In one sense he's holding the investors hostage, but in another sense he is "investors". Probably half his wealth is in Tesla, and that's the vast majority of his more liquid assets because SpaceX and his other companies are private. Tanking Tesla's share price could be ruinous for him given how much he's already borrowed against his Tesla shares.